• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Hall of Fame - The Williams Collection for PS3 and Xbox360

Mollymauk said:
Was going to bump this thread with the announcement as well.

Here's hoping for a Bally Collection!

btw I got over 7 mil on Pinbot recently which would put me at #2. :) Still haven't topped my real life score of 8.9 mil when I used to own one. I was never quite able to flip the board. It has a 7 digit display, so 10 mil would have done it.

Nice! Congrats

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Baron said:
There's supposed to be an announcement next week at the Pinball Expo in Chicago from Farsight Studios about a new pinball game. Here's hoping it's a Volume 2 of Hall of Fame for the consoles. I'll take more Williams, Bally, or Stern at this point. YAY! About time.

YES! I just got into Zen Pinball, which is great, but I find the ball physics on this one to be much more realistic.

Tables I'd like to see:

Big Bang Bar
Theatre of Magic
Circus Voltaire
High Speed 2: The Getaway

And in my "licensed so it won't ever happen" category:

World Cup Soccer '94
Twilight Zone
Addams Family
Indiana Jones

Baron

Yeah, if they ever do whatever voodoo black magic is necessary in order to release licensed tables, the Star Trek Next Gen table is at the top of my wish list.

I still can hear Riker saying "We don't have time for your games, Q!" even now, nearly twenty years after I last played it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Baron said:
There's supposed to be an announcement next week at the Pinball Expo in Chicago from Farsight Studios about a new pinball game. Here's hoping it's a Volume 2 of Hall of Fame for the consoles. I'll take more Williams, Bally, or Stern at this point. YAY! About time.

Nothing yet?

Also, has anybody tried the 3DS game? I need to know howmthe port is before triple-dipping this collection.

Edit: wait there are only 7 tables on the 3ds version?! Fuck that... Didn't the psp had 11? Don't tell me they cheaped out on the cart since the Wii version ripped to HDD is tiny

Ahah you can play with the 3DS upside down:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?deskto...e.com/watch?v=xo59sjPjqhc&v=xo59sjPjqhc&gl=IT

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Williams, Stern, Data East, and Gottlieb all represented in the first four tables! Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe it or not, Theatre of Magic and Black Hole.

2 new DLC tables a month, hits "all platforms" early 2012. Farsight developing.

YESSSSS

The Pinball Arcade
The first four tables will be Tales of the Arabian Nights™, Ripley's Believe It or Not™, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™.

Each month we will be updating the game by releasing two tables as DLC and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play.

With many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams®, Bally™, Stern Pinball™, and Gottlieb™; The Pinball Arcade™ is set to become the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!!!

Baron

Very awesome. Can't wait to hand over my dollars! Early 2012 too, so let's hope that means January.

lobdale said:
Williams, Stern, Data East, and Gottlieb all represented in the first four tables! Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe it or not, Theatre of Magic and Black Hole.

2 new DLC tables a month, hits "all platforms" early 2012. Farsight developing.

YESSSSS

Yessir!!! Can't wait!!! I'll get it for 360! They even have licensed Ripleys?!

My wishlist item is Big Bang Bar. It's the holy grail due to its rarity. Most of us will never get a chance to play it. Only a dozen or so were made originally, and an additional 190 recreations were made around a decade later. Here's a video that details one of the remakes.

I've played this table several times at SS Billiards. It's a great table with a risque theme.

Glix

This game is out on 3DS

This game is only $30 on 3DS and it is freaking AWESOME in 3d.

I can't stop playing it, 3d adds SO much to pinball, it makes the physics seem realer, as idiotic as that sounds.

I see now this was discussed on the previous page. Because it wasn't on this page I assumed no one had posted about it yet. I had thought it JUST came out. My bad.

blackflag

This game is out on 3DS

I can't stop playing it, 3d adds SO much to pinball, it makes the physics seem realer, as idiotic as that sounds.

I see now this was discussed on the previous page. Because it wasn't on this page I assumed no one had posted about it yet. I had thought it JUST came out. My bad.

Frame rate is good and you can see enough of the board? If so I'll get. I have this for PS3 and love it. Like it much more than the Zen stuff.

This game is out on 3DS

Doesn't sound idiotic at all. I'd think playing in 3D would help immensely with timing and angling your shots.

Baron

Williams Pinball HOF for 3DS is on sale for $19 today at Amazon. I think I'll bite. People who've played it, is this "dark picture" situation really that much of an issue? It kept me from buying it at full price, but for $20 I'll likely bite regardless.

jgkspsx

Sale is over, but to answer your question... I don't think the picture is that dark. It's certainly not as dim as the GBA games are. Having gotten it for $20, I'd have been happy with it for $30.

Partly because I'm really liking the GBA version, I've started heavily playing the 360 version again. It really rocks. Kinda irked about Jive Time being locked, though, but I'm sure clearing the Williams Challenge won't be that hard after I remember how all the tables work.

I had a 40M Medieval Madness game this afternoon. Which, for people who are good at pinball, isn't very good, but despite loving pinball I kinda suck. It was totally thrilling.

Sho Nuff

Banned
For me the dark screen is a deal killer and makes it nearly unplayable IMHO. I have no idea how a game ships like that.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sorry for the mad bump, didn't want to create a LTTP thread but I just bought Williams Collection for the PSP the other day off the store. It's my first Pinball Hall of Fame and I am really enjoying it. I actually only bought it in anticipation that it might work on the Vita but atm I am taking it to work on the PSP.

Glad none of the tables are locked, although you do have to have credits to play the ones you haven't made it up to in the Williams Challenge. Can only make it up to the 4th table, really struggling with the score. Started practicing in the Arcade and just broke the score needed in the Challenge so will practice a few more times. That table is Funhouse, which brings me to my question.

I need some tips though as I am not that good with pinball games. What is the best way to deal with a ball heading straight down the middle? I've tried nudging but I don't think I can grasp it too well, same thing when it goes down the outer lanes. I don't seem to do too bad on any of the tables, except Funhouse, just seems the ball always heads for the left lane and I lose a ball.

Benedict

Sorry for the mad bump, didn't want to create a LTTP thread but I just bought Williams Collection for the PSP the other day off the store. It's my first Pinball Hall of Fame and I am really enjoying it. I actually only bought it in anticipation that it might work on the Vita but atm I am taking it to work on the PSP.

Good thing that the Vita version of The Pinball Arcade will be released in March.

Will be instabought for me.

Can also recommend the table Epic Quest for Zen Pinball, which is really great. Zen Pinball/Marvel Pinball (sequel) is also to be released to Vita but no date yet.

Baron

Sorry for the mad bump, didn't want to create a LTTP thread but I just bought Williams Collection for the PSP the other day off the store...

The way this is phrased it sounds like you bought it "off the store", i.e. off PSN. Last I knew, the PSP version wasn't available as a downloadable version on PSN. Has this changed? I'll have to check later. I reaaaaallly want a PSN version of it for my PSP. My UMD is constantly in the thing...I alternate between it and Outrun! Both games without digital counterparts. Grrrr.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The way this is phrased it sounds like you bought it "off the store", i.e. off PSN. Last I knew, the PSP version wasn't available as a downloadable version on PSN. Has this changed? I'll have to check later. I reaaaaallly want a PSN version of it for my PSP. My UMD is constantly in the thing...I alternate between it and Outrun! Both games without digital counterparts. Grrrr.
Gottlieb is available in the U.S.

Both Gottlieb and Williams are available in EU, I think. :(

Baron

Gottlieb is available in the U.S.

Both Gottlieb and Williams are available in EU, I think. :(

Dammit. In the US here. Well, The Vita version is coming soon, and as long as Farsight doesn't screw it up somehow, it should be the better game. I just don't have a Vita (yet).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Dammit. In the US here. Well, The Vita version is coming soon, and as long as Farsight doesn't screw it up somehow, it should be the better game. I just don't have a Vita (yet).
You're basically in the same boat I am. I'm a PSP Go user (still have a PSP-2000, but anyway) and I'd love to own a Vita.

Also waiting on PS3 version and Kindle Fire version. Yes, at least a triple-dip.

Baron

You're basically in the same boat I am. I'm a PSP Go user (still have a PSP-2000, but anyway) and I'd love to own a Vita.

Also waiting on PS3 version and Kindle Fire version. Yes, at least a triple-dip.

Haha, yeah, I fully expect to quintuple-dip and get PS3/360/3DS/iOS and ultimately Vita versions of Pinball Arcade. Replay value for pinball is basically infinite for me, and I have no problem buying it across every platform I own.

It's still a shame the PSN version of Williams Hall of Fame PSP was never released, and looks like it won't ever be at this point.

Apenheul

This weekend I found out that pinball skills in the video game do not translate well to playing on the real table (Taxi in this case). I do think they captured the feeling really well, the sound and the lighting. I'm thinking about buying the Wii version because of the seperated controllers, should feel better than a dual shock controller I think.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This weekend I found out that pinball skills in the video game do not translate well to playing on the real table (Taxi in this case). I do think they captured the feeling really well, the sound and the lighting. I'm thinking about buying the Wii version because of the seperated controllers, should feel better than a dual shock controller I think.
Having gone to Funspot after a long relationship with PHoF, I can say that at the very least PHoF gets you intimately familiar with the table and all its goals, so you can actually try for things when you get to play the real table. It also taught me patience, instead of just hitting the flippers spastically trying to get random points.

I played Black Knight and Pinbot competently (IMO) while at Funspot. Wish they'd had Taxi... :(

Also played Addams Family, but that's still just a fantasy. I want a home version so badly...

Apenheul

Having gone to Funspot after a long relationship with PHoF, I can say that at the very least PHoF gets you intimately familiar with the table and all its goals, so you can actually try for things when you get to play the real table. It also taught me patience, instead of just hitting the flippers spastically trying to get random points.

I played Black Knight and Pinbot competently (IMO) while at Funspot. Wish they'd had Taxi... :(

Also played Addams Family, but that's still just a fantasy. I want a home version so badly...

Definitely true, I should've formulated what I meant more carefully. You learn the table goals and score system from the game. I found that the game puts you in a different mode of concentration, maybe because of the different perspective on the table (even though the perspective projection suggests depth, it feels top-down). I don't think even 3D(S)/TV can give you the exact sensation. And also trigger buttons don't feel like holding the sides of a table.

Not to knock on the game of course, it's fantastic and easily my favorite pinball game since the old Digital Illusions games (Fantasy and Dreams).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

That is right, I bought it off PSN, both Gottleib and Williams are available on the UK store although I am not really interested in the Gottleib collection at all. Off the top of my head I think the Williams one worked out around $8USD maybe?

You are feeling our pain, there are quite a few PSP games I would like, and PSone as well that are on the US store and not the UK store. It's shit in a way and I don't really understand why they can't do it when there are no more production costs or shipping involved.

Baron

That is right, I bought it off PSN, both Gottleib and Williams are available on the UK store although I am not really interested in the Gottleib collection at all. Off the top of my head I think the Williams one worked out around $8USD maybe?

You are feeling our pain, there are quite a few PSP games I would like, and PSone as well that are on the US store and not the UK store. It's shit in a way and I don't really understand why they can't do it when there are no more production costs or shipping involved.

Now that the PSP is nearing the end of its life, I think I'll install custom firmware on my 3000 soon (or my Go? is that a better idea) and then rip all the UMDs I own that haven't been released as PSN downloads. I need Instant Pinball. As well as Instant Space Invaders Extreme. and Lumines. I could go on and on. :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Now that the PSP is nearing the end of its life, I think I'll install custom firmware on my 3000 soon (or my Go? is that a better idea) and then rip all the UMDs I own that haven't been released as PSN downloads. I need Instant Pinball. As well as Instant Space Invaders Extreme. and Lumines. I could go on and on. :(
Yep. Been thinking about doing this myself. I'd love to have Every Extend Extra and Williams on my Go. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I know everyone probably already moved on to The Pinball Arcade (still waiting for the PS3 version), but I managed to reach a score of 3,429,200 on Firepower today that I'm so proud of that I just had to post it here. :)
Now I have to update this, of course:

Firepower
1. 3,429,200 - Jucksalbe
2. 2,884,630 - ParallaxScroll
3. 2,522,190 - Gillian Seed X
4. 2,472,620 - GameGuyPeter
5. 1,592,190 - Bebpo
1,539,960 - Shiv47
1,538,560 - Brashnir
1,315,330 - ismaboof(PS3)
1,276,710 - Gillian Seed X
1,149,450 - SeraphisCain (PS3)
997,340 - catchan
980,620 - Mollymauk
850,550 - jvm

Baron

I know everyone probably already moved on to The Pinball Arcade (still waiting for the PS3 version), but I managed to reach a score of 3,429,200 on Firepower today that I'm so proud of that I just had to post it here. :)
Now I have to update this, of course:

I really, really hope Firepower is eventually released for the Pinball Arcade - it's my favorite table from Hall of Fame. It's a simple, fun, challenging table that really scratches all my itches at once, style, sound, aesthetic - I just have fun with the damn thing. Congrats on the high scores!

(any word of Firepower for Pinball Arcade?)

Top Bottom