• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Hey guys who would you ban-proof for E3 (ban-proof = Drinky Crow status)

my shortlist (the guys I really need around to have fun here)

BurntPork
AceBandage
HylianTom
IdeaMan
bgassassin

who would you ban-proof from the Nintendo Meltdowns when the true WiiU details come out?

Of all topics discussed in this thread, this is one of the most stupid we had

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

300fps.
KuGsj.gif
What would even be the point?

I(along with probably many others) have figured out what is going on:

Insult and attack one poster's credibility through tantrum posting so they become so humiliated and insulted that they just flat out reveal something that said attackers actually know they know.

Stay strong, IdeaMan.

Reveal the bomb 5 minutes before E3 in spite!!!!!

I(along with probably many others) have figured out what is going on:

Insult and attack one poster's credibility through tantrum posting so they become so humiliated and insulted that they just flat out reveal something that said attackers actually know they know.

Stay strong, IdeaMan.

Reveal the bomb 5 minutes before E3 in spite!!!!!

Haha I agree. Im pretty sure the majority of people complaining would be doing the same thing if they had access to such juicy information.

It reminds me of Smash Dojo :p it frustrated me sometimes but ended up entertaining me longer than a full, day-one reveal would.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
+ your other defamatory posts where you said that i "insulted" people ? (lol, because pointing out to just ONE person that he seems too focused, obsessed, with the posting style of someone, is an insult ? others already answered to you on that matter, it's ridiculous AND defamatory).
I concede that 'insult' was too strong a word. It really annoyed me when I saw you insinuating that Skiesofwonder had 'problems' because of his posts expressing doubt in you (which I think is a perfectly reasonable stance), but it's true that in general you've been rather polite. I was wrong to use that word repeatedly.

However, I maintain that your claim that you had no problem with people expressing doubt or annoyance at your posts, or even encouraged it, is demonstrably total b.s. The other post I linked to, where you said that you were offended by Ubermatik doubting you, is just one other example.

My biggest concerns about this console are:
1) Online infrastructure - Nintendo has a lot do demostrate on this topic and the 3Ds is not the huge step ahead everyone would have expected

Things that have been supported by Nintendo since Wii or earlier:

- online multiplayer, leaderboards, matchmaking
- online store with digital game/app downloads including things like Netflix
- voice chat (and not even just WiiSpeak, DS had voice chat, Wii has a headset)
- rudimentary friend lists
- video channel with regular news, trailers, and other custom content
- web browser
- automatic delivery of digital content via WiiConnect24 (see Brawl custom stages)
- patches (see Conduit and Call of Duty online multi patches)
- DLC (see Rock Band, My Life as a King)

Areas where the 3DS has improved:

- universal friend list that applies to all games
- notification that a friend is online and what they are playing
- apps that can be run without exiting out of your game session, including the friend list and web browser
- online store better organized to show off certain content, videos, screenshots
- game demos for both digital and retail
- background downloading of large files like demos
- better support for automatic delivery of digital content (see Nintendo Video, Kid Icarus)
- online communities/rooms with certain rule sets (Mario Kart 7)
- transfer of digital purchases from one device to another

Areas where we know the 3DS (and presumably WiiU) will continue to improve:

- smoother transfer of digital purchases between devices; an account that tracks purchases independent of hardware (see Nintendo investor meeting January)
- better patch support (see Nintendo investor meeting April)
- better DLC support
- support for digital releases of retail games
- voice chat with people outside of your friend list (Heroes of Ruin)
- an overall smoother online experience, if all the recent improvements are any indication

What else is needed/desired? Achievements, party chat, better pop-up notifications of what your friends are doing?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
+ your other defamatory posts where you said that i "insulted" people ? (lol, because pointing out to just ONE person that he seems too focused, obsessed, with the posting style of someone, is an insult ? others already answered to you on that matter, it's ridiculous AND defamatory).

1/3 of its late participation was bitter posts about me & my messages. And everytime someone expressed its doubts, he jumped to the ship. It was akin to an obsession. I get it, if you want to say to someone you don't like his posting style, you doubt him, that's fine, but repeating it 10 times ? There's a problem. And the search function of the forum proves it.

Now, that's it Krev ? Can the thread be spared of all this pollution ? Thanks :)

I have no idea why you are trying your best to bring me into this silly conversation which I have sat idly by not saying a word because I do agree it is shitting up this entire thread.

I have no obsession with you, sorry to disappoint you. Please do use the search function btw, because I've probably made 10 posts with your name in them over my last 300 or so. That's 1/30, Not "1/3" like you love to state. The only reason I even address you in the first place is because this is my most frequent thread on the board and hell the topic of you seems to be brought up more then Nintendo itself lately. Like Eatchildren said, I have just as much of a right to point out your posting style just as much as you do to post the way you do. So lay off the "pity me" routine please.

The only pity needed here is for this thread, which has become a massive fricken headache. I enjoy discussing everything with you guys/gals, but E3 can't come soon enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does it really get that bad?

Yes, but for all parties. E3 brings out the worst fanboy in everybody, and like Bruce Banner dealing with the Hulk, some just aren't able to keep it in check.

As long as people don't act like fucking idiots, they won't get banned.

That should be in the TOS.

Things that have been supported by Nintendo since Wii or earlier:

- online multiplayer, leaderboards, matchmaking
- online store with digital game/app downloads including things like Netflix
- voice chat (and not even just WiiSpeak, DS had voice chat, Wii has a headset)
- rudimentary friend lists
- video channel with regular news, trailers, and other custom content
- web browser
- automatic delivery of digital content via WiiConnect24 (see Brawl custom stages)
- patches (see Conduit and Call of Duty online multi patches)
- DLC (see Rock Band, My Life as a King)

Areas where the 3DS has improved:

- universal friend list that applies to all games
- notification that a friend is online and what they are playing
- apps that can be run without exiting out of your game session, including the friend list and web browser
- online store better organized to show off certain content, videos, screenshots
- game demos for both digital and retail
- background downloading of large files like demos
- better support for automatic delivery of digital content (see Nintendo Video, Kid Icarus)
- online communities/rooms with certain rule sets (Mario Kart 7)
- transfer of digital purchases from one device to another

Areas where we know the 3DS (and presumably WiiU) will continue to improve:

- smoother transfer of digital purchases between devices; an account that tracks purchases independent of hardware (see Nintendo investor meeting January)
- better patch support (see Nintendo investor meeting April)
- better DLC support
- support for digital releases of retail games
- voice chat with people outside of your friend list (Heroes of Ruin)

What else is needed/desired? Achievements, party chat, better pop-up notifications of what your friends are doing?
I think Nintendo is on the right path just need it more streamlined.. adding friends you play with in games makes making friends easier, Friend online pop up, notfications showing who messaging within the interface Wii had it but on 3DS you gotta go to swapnote to send some kinda message..basicly just make it all simple and accessable within the interface.

HYPE!!! WOOOOOOOOooooOoOOOOOOOOO! I feel this week will be awesome!

holy shit I thought it was Monday and damn one less day of waiting for my WiiU

saving my money right now

Depends, does Ideaman have insider info about the colour of the power cable on PS4 devkits?

IM you just became a Meme congrats my friend!

beje

Banned
What else is needed/desired?

Wrapping everything up in a decent user interface where everything is integrated and we don't need extra hoops like in the Wii where everything "works" but only by itself and completely standalone. The 3DS addressed it more or less right but they still need to centralize online net code into the OS so it's not hard-coded into the games to avoid stuff like the friend list "Join" option only working with two first party games and not with others that even were released later.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Wrapping everything up in a decent user interface where everything is integrated and we don't need extra hoops like in the Wii where everything "works" but only by itself and completely standalone. The 3DS addressed it more or less right but they still need to centralize online net code into the OS so it's not hard-coded into the games to avoid stuff like the friend list "Join" option only working with two first party games and not with others that even were released later.

This. Just a general GUI improvement is all I need.

User Tron

@Ideaman: You put yourself into the spotlight, now take the heat. I concur with others that while you seem like a nice guy, you didn't provide any real info.

I've been on GAF too long... I knew backlash was coming but I thought it would come with the Meltdowns closer to E3

I am really afraid for this thread come E3... Nintendo Meltdowns are the worst, epic and funny to watch but they can mean tons of bannings

you guys cannot even relax and deal with a little teasing and hint dropping now, how would you survive E3?

In style. I plan to watch GAF explode while sipping on mojitos and wearing a hawaiian shirt - Bruce Campbell style.

Sadist

Haha, the E3 2006 thread is a fun read. I mean, it's awesome. Love all the reactions.

Can't wait for all the crazy shit to happen during this year.

I hope the PS4 is next holiday I don't really want the WiiU to be out alone too long the sooner we get pass all of the duct-tape weaker than BS the better it will be for gamers on here

Yes, but for all parties. E3 brings out the worst fanboy in everybody, and like Bruce Banner dealing with the Hulk, some just aren't able to keep it in check.

oh you are asking too much for GAF... even if the old guys got over it and are now too old for that stuff... the newbies are going to go all nutty

the only good thing is there are not enough mods to catch all the of them

Yeah. I'm not trying to deny problems at all or say "everything has already been perfect for years!" but at the same time I don't think Nintendo gets enough credit.

If they follow through and do provide what you're asking for, I imagine there will still be a ton of people talking about how Nintendo still doesn't get it...just because it's not XBox Live.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I concede that 'insult' was too strong a word. It really annoyed me when I saw you insinuating that Skiesofwonder had 'problems' because of his posts expressing doubt in you (which I think is a perfectly reasonable stance), but it's true that in general you've been rather polite. I was wrong to use that word repeatedly.

However, I maintain that your claim that you had no problem with people expressing doubt or annoyance at your posts, or even encouraged it, is demonstrably total b.s.

Just read the thread 2, 3, or 4.

A few people told publicly here their doubts about me and my news since my very first message. There were strong reactions, with some personal attacks, after my second leak about the memory (which pushed the until then guessed range of total RAM from 1GB-1,5GB to 1,5GB-2GB basically). I just wrote a big wall of text of justification, then tried to legitimate my info through lherre, and that's was it, even when i read some posters publicly stating their doubts, i'm fine with it, only if it's polite. It wasn't the case for 1 or 2 regulars with whom i talked in private to not pollute this topic. Anyone following these threads since the second, saw that the ratio between people questioning me & my info and my answers is like 20:1, because 3/4 of the time, i just ignore those 2 or 3 posts, or make joking answers, for example "i like your abstract anger" to kandinsky or another one to foxhimself, the other two vocals about me here.

And yes, i encouraged people to doubt my info, you can see it RIGHT from my very first post, with TONS of forewords warnings, caution notices, "second-hand knowledge", "dose of subjectivity, etc".

You were unfair and harsh today Krev, i was really O_O during my catch-up session when i read your answers. Recognize it.

As i recognize, and i'm sorry for that, that my posting style can get on the nerves of some.

Let's be happy now, kiss each other, and wait feverishly for E3.

but everyone who seems to enjoy when people express negativity towards me own me some food :p

I would hope that they separate the function from the games, so you can do whatever you like and still chat.

You just basically enabled voicechat in all games in one sentence, congratulations.

I never thought of that though it makes sense.

It's just mindblowing that games like Mario Kart 7 don't have voicechat even though it's "there".

I'm sick of nothing offensive to say to my friends when I wipe their asses out or they get lucky.

The preset "Not fair" is so infuriatingly not-mean-enough.

HylianTom

Banned
(catching-up - lots of patients this morning!)
Regarding the issue of meltdowns, I know one thing:
if I were to ever have a meltdown, I'm doing it "off-camera" - not in here. Not giving certain folks the pleasure of witnessing such a thing.

That said, I am quite a bouyant person when it comes to this stuff. If Nintendo brings the games, my enthusiasm likely won't be dampened. :)

beje

Banned
Yeah. I'm not trying to deny problems at all or say "everything has already been perfect for years!" but at the same time I don't think Nintendo gets enough credit.

If they follow through and do provide what you're asking for, I imagine there will still be a ton of people talking about how Nintendo still doesn't get it...just because it's not XBox Live.

Exactly. For the criticism you read around, it's pretty obvious none of them have even bothered to check how does the online system of a 3DS works, as only downsides are the lack of IM/voice chat (which I hope to get fixed soon) and lack of completely centralized online features that would make life for devs easier.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

That's my secret Cap, I'm always a fanboy.

I mentioned the first thread as that's the only conversation I've had with you about the specs. I don't follow these threads close enough (because yeah, they move fast), so it's likely I missed any additional details.

As for the PS4 specs, I don't know really know what to think. I'm impressed, and I'd say it is significantly stronger than what I know about the Wii U (which admittedly is limited). In terms of next generation ports, I can't judge until I see what the games are doing.

I don't think it will be another Wii, because the Wii was uniquely shit :p.

Yeah Wii was a case I hope we, from a tech spec point, never see again.

With the specs in the first thread, without hearing from anyone at the time the only thing my guess was off on compared to the early, vague target specs was the L2 cache. Which taking a post from B3D along with lherre saying where I was off and surprisingly the "IGN source" before that saying one part was too high caused me to go with 3MB which was accurate. That's what prompted me to start posting some of "IGN source"'s comments over here. Once that part was fixed, I was able to learn more.

With the PS4 I think the specs are very solid, but some out there have stupidly high expectations and those are the ones that need to dial it down some.

I'm not bothered by any doubts. I'm not in the industry and the info I was able to get has been from fortunate timing.

I believe that whole heartily, heck I even think that the distance is probably greater than PS2 to Xbox, but I don't think it's much farther than that. Still there should be nothing stopping ports from coming across all 3 platforms this time, at least from what I've gathered.

And while I believe a dedicated GPGPU could really show off true next generation graphics (from things like A.I., freely moving strands of hair, destruction, dust, everything else.) I don't think, functionally it could produce something that can't be faked.

Yeah my take is that dev/pub effort should be the only possible issue with ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom