• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What posting habit would you love to kill people over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know about "killing" anyone, but I don't like when people just use GAF memes to low or no-content post, primarily "feed it pizza." I don't much care for the increasing habit of very poorly executed gif posts in lieu of content posts. A good GIF reply can be hilarious but more often than not, it's just juniors posting gifs to post gifs.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
People who post about posting habits they don't like.

I'll respond to a topic how ever the fuck I want. Saying you will kill someone is stupid.

dojokun

Banned
Fuck these people---and not in a good way.
Ya I seriously think discussion would improve BIG TIME without these people. I am not asking that everyone disagrees with me. I just want the disagreement to be meaningful and not a stupid "I corrected you on something so I win and you lose" style post.

i knew that A stood for something.

rFzVB.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Saying, "If you believe ______, then you're a fucking idiot", without any argument being made for your case beyond that. So damn cheap and lazy.

KevinCow

Banned
If I killed people over every posting habit I hated with a fiery passion, there wouldn't be any posters left.

But top 3?

1) People who thing the tilde is a proper punctuation mark to end your sentences with. "lol thats so cute~" No you fucking asshat that is not what that symbol is for.

2) People who repeatedly make posts that contain nothing but a reaction gif.

3) People who go into a "Favorite _____" thread and post a picture of some obscure character or game or movie or show or person and don't say who or what it is.

Runner-up: People who censor curse words. If you're gonna say FUCK, then say FUCK. Don't say f**** or f**k or whatever. If you don't like using the actual word, then use a different word.

dojokun

Banned
Saying, "If you believe ______, then you're a fucking idiot", without any argument being made for your case beyond that. So damn cheap and lazy.
That happens SO much. And what's annoying is that when the one posting it is defending a majority opinion, almost no one will out this ad hominem tactic.

I want to kill people who:

1) post "something something keyword or key phrase something something". Thanks for lazily posting something that everyone saw a mile away. I'm sure everyone is glad to have read what you typed.

2) respond to a post just to debunk one part of it but ignore the rest, where the part that got debunked still leaves the main point of the post in tact. Thanks for sticking to the point.

3) respond to a post that argues in favor of changing a system by saying the poster doesn't understand how it works. No. I understand how it works. I'm talking about how I think it SHOULD work, not how it DOES work.

4) make things personal.

OP doesn't understand how NeoGAF works. He also smells bad.

Orayn

Nothing I'd actually want to hurt anyone over, but I'd love the mods to be liberal about banning people for common logical fallacies like straw men and ad hominem attacks.

dojokun

Banned
Nothing I'd actually want to hurt anyone over, but I'd love the mods to be liberal about banning people for common logical fallacies like straw men and ad hominem attacks.
Man, imagine discussion on NeoGAF turning into well thought-out disagreements as polite as old men enjoying cognac and cigars.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thread posting habits such as:

• Those with clear agendas
  • Depressing news stories

The latter is just to get everyone to come in and say how sad it is or have people talk about their own street justice. The former just ends in people getting banned.

-OPs who start controversial topics but is nowhere to be seen when the debates get going.

-"Am I the only who ____?" topics.

-FIRST posts/omg it's ____ (not necessarily here, but in other forums; also if a well-known poster/admin makes a topic)

I rather not. It's funny watching posters dig their own graves and get outed as the jokes they are. Kind of like those closet racist posters who keep denying they are racist.

NeoGAF's obsession posting threads related to body functions... and body malfunctions. ("I busted my spleen! What should I do?")

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Also G/A/F is just so everyone can go "These places are so bad!" The only novelty it carries is in guessing the area in which the horrible event has occurred.

UFRA

your vs. you're

I also hate threads where the OP consists of a one sentence statement and fits more along the lines of a blog post than a topic of discussion.

Thread posting habits such as:

• Those with clear agendas
  • Depressing news stories

The latter is just to get everyone to come in and say how sad it is or have people talk about their own street justice. The former just ends in people getting banned.

I agree with the latter - depressing news threads are pointless. I only enter them now to witness the inevitable "why even post this?" backlash.

The former, though...doesn't everyone with an opinion have an agenda? Do you really expect people to argue a point without attempting to score a point for their team, so to speak?

your vs. you're

I also hate threads where the OP consists of a one sentence statement and fits more along the lines of a blog post than a topic of discussion.
This. Grammar nazis in general, really. They tend to emerge when the poster has no way to counter someone's argument so they address their spelling/grammar instead. It's pointless. 99% of GAF knows the difference between you're and your - if you see someone switch the two, it's a temporary brain fart and you're just coming off as a dick for pointing it out. The arrogance of people who actually believe they're "educating" the forum with such observations.

Levyne

Banned
I guess when people quote a person's argument and reply "really, really?" as if that justifies the absence of a counter argument can get annoying in certain cases.

dojokun

Banned
I agree with the latter - depressing news threads are pointless. I only enter them now to witness the inevitable "why even post this?" backlash.

The former, though...doesn't everyone with an opinion have an agenda? Do you really expect people to argue a point without attempting to score a point for their team, so to speak?
I dunno about Plywood, but personally, I think there's a difference between having an opinion/agenda that you are willing to re-evaluate if the evidence points towards your opinion possibly being wrong, versus people who have an opinion/agenda and they are sticking to it no matter what, because winning an argument is more important to them than empirically finding the right nuanced stance to take on a issue.

NekoFever

Editing later quotes/replies into their posts so that everything's all out of order. I hate reading a thread and wondering where something someone's replying to came from, only for it to turn up three posts later.

In before someone above quotes this in their post.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm talking about those who look for things that aren't there, I mean those that make everything into a debate. That bring a whole thread down over whatever they want to talk about of course they're not completely at fault since people respond to them.
I dunno about Plywood, but personally, I think there's a difference between having an opinion/agenda that you are willing to re-evaluate if the evidence points towards your opinion possibly being wrong, versus people who have an opinion/agenda and they are sticking to it no matter what, because winning an argument is more important to them than empirically finding the right nuanced stance to take on a issue.
This as well.

dojokun

Banned
Editing later quotes/replies into their posts so that everything's all out of order. I hate reading a thread and wondering where something someone's replying to came from, only for it to turn up three posts later.

Didn't even think of that, but ya tha can get irritating if you spend a little time going back a few pages worth to find the post and then only discover it after giving up.

I don't want to kill anyone...

The "And not a single fuck was given that day" post or any variation of it to an announcement of some sort.

Patryn

Oh god this. I hate this so much. Completely destroys the flow for both those who haven't read the whole page yet (I'm like what are you quoting?) and those who have already read the post before the edit will completely miss the new content.

Just stop it. Make a new post. It doesn't take that much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom