• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What posting habit would you love to kill people over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
People who make a big deal out of putting someone on their ignore list. Yeah good for you - no need to tell all the world about it.

KevinCow

Banned
People who start each sentence on a new line.
I don't understand why people do it.
What is the purpose of it?

People who don't seem to understand that
technology has advanced and the text will
automatically go to the next line when it
reaches the end, so you don't need to
manually press enter for every line.

sky

I don't like when people are unnecessarily mean.

Maybe I take stuff too hard. But so many peoples' posts are really mean. It's like they feel they have to attack you when responding. It's very hurtful and it makes it hard for me to try to have a nice conversation.
image.php

Misleading thread titles in general are annoying. This happens on the gaming side sometimes, when someone will post a title like "SHENMUE 3", with an op that reads "... wouldn't it be cool?". Paraphrasing but you get the idea.

On the OT side, it happens sometimes when someone posts about an article or news item, but it doesn't seem like they've actually read or fully understand the item themselves.

Posts in recommendation/voting/etc... threads with an image of the thing being recommended/voted on/etc'ed..., but no indication of what its from. Thanks for recommending a movie by posting a screenshot that only people who have seen the movie will know what it's from.

Switters

The high and mighty assholes who make a "news at 11" and "who?" posts.

Seriously, you don't look smart, or funny, and you will most likely be ignored in the thread. If you're worried about something as insubstantial as your post count then I suggest you check out Reddit, cause they're giving away arbitrary numbers for free.

Also, Teh Hamburglar is awesome.

-Switters

PEACE

Edit: Fucking list threads that people just drive by and drop nouns. WHO GIVES A FUCK. There's no discussion.

Also people with real pics. Fucking narcissists.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It doesn't have to be a permaban. How about one day bans for that kind of thing? Gives the poster time to reevaluate things and how to be more logical.
The fact that GAF mods don't ban people for being dumb according some elite subset of the posting population is what makes them good and effective mods. Being wrong isn't a crime. If someone is wrong, then prove them wrong, not get them banned.

Dany

Banned
cracked articles, BOMBA: game sale, people saying 'gurl'

I wouldn't really kill anyone over this but whenever I see the first two I just shake my head.

oh, smh

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Who?

People that come into a celebrity thread just to post that to prove how detached they are, or pretend they are, from the main stream. So fucking annoying.

I don't want to kill/physically hurt anyone over it but people who

1. "Sign" their posts on forums. You have a name for a reason. Why don't you understand how forums work??

2. Put their response to a quote before the quote. It just makes me have to reread the entire post because the first time through I had no clue what the hell you were talking about.

make me pretty frustrated.

Thankfully I've only seen number 2 a few times and number one happens a lot less frequently nowadays.

dojokun

Banned
The fact that GAF mods don't ban people for being dumb according some elite subset of the posting population is what makes them good and effective mods. Being wrong isn't a crime. If someone is wrong, then prove them wrong, not get them banned.
It's not about being right ir wrong. It's about having an honest discussion that stays on topic. Fallacies are a way of giving up real meaningful discussion without giving up the argument.

LakeEarth

Debunk one part of it but ignore the rest, where the part that got debunked still leaves the main point of the post in tact. Thanks for sticking to the point.

Jesus Christ this!!! It's been happening more lately. At least I've been noticing it more.

Worst is when they purposely ignore the context of your sentence. One time i said something like "all these movies tend to focus to female characters', but the thread was clearly under the context of horror movie remakes, and my previous sentence had the word "horror remakes" in it. But posters quoted my post, cut out everything else, acted like I actually meant ALL movies, and gleefully basked on how wrong I was.

Xisiqomelir

Ever since it first made an appearance a little while back, I've utterly loathed "smh".

The acronym itself is atrociously silly-looking.

The posters who employ it are undergoing internet emesis just to spew forth the equivalent of a +1 with a cluck of disapproval. It's horrid and I wish it would stop.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Posters who basically just go ape-shit when their pet issue comes up. Multiple bans usually follow.

And people who actually take things like "I would kill someone for doing X" literally and stroke their moral dongs about it.

G-Fex

CHEEZMO™;37911337 said:
People who make a big deal out of putting someone on their ignore list. Yeah good for you - no need to tell all the world about it.

But I like doing that.

noah111

Still Alive
Am I the only one who feels like people who use the blocking/ignore feature are silly? Just seems quite righteous.. I mean, mods exist for the very purpose of whipping out those who make unbearable posts. Almost seems immature that you can't handle idiocy on the internet of all places and feel the need to ignore someone's posts over it. What's worse is making of fuss of it and quoting who you've just put on your ignore list.

Probably not the margin opinion since a lot of people use it, but that's just me.. I wouldn't even mind if that feature went away entirely, as it somewhat defeats the merit of moderators to a certain degree (imo).

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Am I the only one who feels like people who use the blocking/ignore feature are silly? Just seems quite righteous.. I mean, mods exist for the very purpose of whipping out those who make unbearable posts. Almost seems immature that you can't handle idiocy on the internet of all places and feel the need to ignore someone's posts over it. What's worse is making of fuss of it and quoting who you've just put on your ignore list.

Probably not the margin opinion since a lot of people use it, but that's just me.. I wouldn't even mind if that feature went away entirely, as it somewhat defeats the merit of moderators to a certain degree (imo).

I agree entirely.

Derrick01

Banned

No I hate it too and I find it a weak cop-out for people to block out others who have opposing viewpoints. As you said the mods take care of the people who really step out of line, so using the ignore feature is usually immature and dumb since you're blocking every post a person will make, good or bad, whether they agree with you on something or not. There's no real point for it to exist it to me.

KevinCow

Banned

Yeah. If mods banned everybody who I thought deserved to be banned, I probably wouldn't have to use the ignore feature nearly as much.

Unfortunately, mods seem to have different opinions than me on such things.

Just depends on the situation. For example, there was one poster who posted damn near every facet of his dates in one thread. I didn't mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone blocked him so that they won't have to see the thread turn into someone's twitter account

Dr Prob

Banned
As many have already said: Don't want to kill anyone over it, but:

There's no way any straight guy would say no to that.

There are ways. Pumpkin boobs for one. That's when fake boobs look like pumpkins and are attached to some sketchy woman.

Stop projecting!

frequency

It's not about being righteous or whatever. The mods aren't offended by the same things I am. And just because someone bothers me doesn't mean they deserve to be banned. I have a couple people who are just generally mean spirited on ignore. I don't like seeing mean posts and this way it only affects me and doesn't hurt anyone else. It helps to improve the overall environment of this forum for me without affecting anyone. I never say I ignore a person or make a deal out of it though.

MC Safety

I would not want to kill people over anything, let alone their idiot posts on the Internet.

But I generally dislike attention whores, people who post unfunny or stupid GIFs because they have nothing to say or have no concept about what is funny, and posters who have an agenda and whose posts you don't need to read because you know what they're going to say in advance of them saying it.

I would not want to kill people over anything, let alone their idiot posts on the Internet.

But I generally dislike attention whores, people who post unfunny or stupid GIFs because they have nothing to say or have no concept about what is funny, and posters who have an agenda and whose posts you don't need to read because you know what they're going to say in advance of them saying it.
It's almost like people have differing sense of humor or something

MC Safety you have never been so predictable.

EDIT: and no KO T H some gif posts are just obvious placeholders for someone who has nothing to say. the gaming side, especially. no one has any tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom