• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What posting habit would you love to kill people over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most annoying thing to me are people who post things like "I just lost faith in humanity" or "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" over some messed up, isolated incident in the news and take it as a representation of the human race.

It just comes off as arrogant, and honestly, I don't want you to live on this planet anymore either.

I'm talking about those who look for things that aren't there, I mean those that make everything into a debate. That bring a whole thread down over whatever they want to talk about of course they're not completely at fault since people respond to them.

This as well.

Gotcha.

Orayn

The most annoying thing to me are people who post things like "I just lost faith in humanity" or "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" over some messed up, isolated incident in the news and take it as a representation of the human race.

It just comes off as arrogant, and honestly, I don't want you to live on this planet anymore either.

This too. Do people really think that the worst things humans do somehow cancel out everything good we've ever done? Fuck that noise!

noah111

Still Alive
WzG5G.png

People who yap on for more than two posts in a thread.

Oh and threads like "Who's your favourite bad guy/end boss", and then people precede post pictures without naming them or explaining which film/game they're from.

Most of all threads about race, for example "Why do Black people all have the same fingerprint?"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
1.People who debate in threads that constantly ignore everyone's posts criticizing their argument yet still respond to certain people's points that they can attack.

2. "LOL ____-gaf, no point in arguing with this hivemind"

NinjaBoiX

Responding to an argument by avatar quoting. Sometimes it actually works, but more often than not, it's just a pathetic, pithy reply, usually because they folded like a cheap shirt on their argument, and just don't have the good grace to admit it.

commedieu

Banned
C'mon man. For example, looking at your avatar, I see a girl who looks naked and about to cry. How is that not creepy.

Whaaat... the jebus. Its a pretty picture of Rashida Jones, not about to cry.

and even if it was a pic of a girl crying. It would still be less creepy than the space below your name. Everyone knows this. Why do you want to stay so anonymous?!?!

Just look at Sentry's post. That proves it all!

dojokun

Banned
Whaaat... the jebus. Its a pretty picture of Rashida Jones, not about to cry.

and even if it was a pic of a girl crying. It would still be less creepy than the space below your name. Everyone knows this. Why do you want to stay so anonymous?!?!

Just look at Sentry's post. That proves it all!
I honestly have no clue what Sentry's post means and I stared at it for a full minute.

maladroid

I think most of my peeves have been mentioned, but I'll repeat them because they still get on my nerves.

Half complete thread titles (the ones that end with an elipsis) and misleading ones to draw clicks. Though I suppose it makes you appreciate the times when there's a seemingly sensationalist title that the OP actually delivers on.

People who come into a thread just to post how little they care about the topic being discussed. Favourite TV shows? "I couldn't care less about TV shows. They're all shit." Thanks for that.

I don't really mind '/thread' posts, but I do when people put it at the end of their own posts. I was a bit bemused when somebody put it at the end of their OP.

And lastly, people who leave out descriptions of the links and images they post in certain threads. Best examples of x? I'm gonna post a youtube link/obscure picture and nothing else!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nothing I'd actually want to hurt anyone over, but I'd love the mods to be liberal about banning people for common logical fallacies like straw men and ad hominem attacks.
Fallacies in and of themselves aren't automatically useless or even wrong. The concept of "the mods should ban more people for my petty irritant" is a pretty bizarre request.

dojokun

Banned
Fallacies in and of themselves aren't automatically useless or even wrong. The concept of "the mods should ban more people for my petty irritant" is a pretty bizarre request.
What's the use of a fallacy and how can it be right? Unless you mean the bottom line conclusion migt be right, but being right by happenstance through a fallacy doesn't advance a discussion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's the use of a fallacy and how can it be right? Unless you mean the bottom line conclusion migt be right, but being right by happenstance through a fallacy doesn't advance a discussion.
Because it's absurd. 90% of the forum would be banned if you had a "no fallacy" rule, because its human nature to not reason in entirely logical ways. Pointing out that a person is a hypocrite is always an ad hominem attack and is often relevant or interesting.

Pollux

Somehow managing to bash religion in threads that have NOTHING to do with religion.

edit: and the same with anything else, for that matter. Is it too hard to stay on topic and not completely derail something?

Log4Girlz

I hate people who are overly whiny. Did it kill you to read a post? Does it hurt inside not to respond to it and simply ignore it? Did it kill braincells to click a thread that turned out not to be what you expected? Does you finger burn with rage to scroll down a little bit more to avoid a bunch of pictures?

commedieu

Banned
I hate people who are overly whiny. Did it kill you to read a post? Does it hurt inside not to respond to it and simply ignore it? Did it kill braincells to click a thread that turned out not to be what you expected? Does you finger burn with rage to scroll down a little bit more to avoid a bunch of pictures?

I don't know if this applies to me. But I feel like saying sorry.

dojokun

Banned
Because it's absurd. 90% of the forum would be banned if you had a "no fallacy" rule, because its human nature to not reason in entirely logical ways. Pointing out that a person is a hypocrite is always an ad hominem attack and is often relevant or interesting.
It doesn't have to be a permaban. How about one day bans for that kind of thing? Gives the poster time to reevaluate things and how to be more logical.

Nothing I'd actually want to hurt anyone over, but I'd love the mods to be liberal about banning people for common logical fallacies like straw men and ad hominem attacks.

Most people use logical fallacies pretty frequently though. If you banned someone every time they used a logical fallacy, GAF would be a massive graveyard. And why would straw man be more ban worthy than, say, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

dojokun

Banned
Most people use logical fallacies pretty frequently though. If you banned someone every time they used a logical fallacy, GAF would be a massive graveyard. And why would straw man be more ban worthy than, say, post hoc ergo propter hoc.
post hoc propter hoc is only a fallacy if you're concluding something with certainty. If you're observing it to formulate a still evolving hypothesis then it's not a fallacy.

post hoc propter hoc is only a fallacy if you're concluding something with certainty. If you're observing it to formulate a still evolving hypothesis then it's not a fallacy.

Oops. I'd probably be banned for my poor understanding of post hoc ergo propter hoc in Orayn's GAF.

dojokun

Banned
Oops. I'd probably be banned for my poor understanding of post hoc ergo propter hoc in Orayn's GAF.
I think you understood it right. I just should have worded my post differently. What I mean is that sometimes people are saying post hoc so MAYBE propter hoc and others might think they are saying post hoc propter hoc.

frequency

I don't like when people are unnecessarily mean.

Maybe I take stuff too hard. But so many peoples' posts are really mean. It's like they feel they have to attack you when responding. It's very hurtful and it makes it hard for me to try to have a nice conversation.

"i hope you get banned" and other emo type shit when there's a functioning "ignore this poster" option.
and now that I think of it, a single laughing emoticon was a great way to dismiss or belittle a post someone put thought and effort into and that's why I started hating it. (but I admit, I probably used them myself at times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom