• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teh Downfall of Nintendo's Dominance via the Third Pillar (DS vs. PSP JP Graph)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ziran: good post. It's like Japan (and their developers) forgot what made their games so great. INNOVATION. Not to say that they aren't still producing lots of great titles, but to reiterate Nintendo's mantra: development has become too expensive. Developers can't risk new IP's. They are following -unfortunately- the Hollywood route rather than the Cannes route. The results of this are larger, more complicated, beautiful, lengthy, epic games...that are terribly unwieldly to a non-gamer audience.

Solution? Drive down the cost of your hardware. FORCE developers to focus on gameplay before graphics. Don't give them the option: spending less on a production is positive for 2 reasons: 1) your company loses less if it sucks. 2) you can gain much, much more profit if it sells well. Make the games shorter, less expensive, less intimidating. Stop trying to make the next "6th Sense" and try your luck at a "Blair Witch Project."

And remember why we started playing videogames.

"Because I'm TONS better at this game than you are!"
"Oh yeah? Bring it!"

Personal, friendly, multiplayer games that are easy, intuitive, and extremely fun for kids and adults alike: that is the heart of gaming heaven. Don't forget it. Well, that, and sweet-ass adventures like Zelda and DQ.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PantherLotus said:
We doubted Nintendo's DS strategy of lower prices (and lesser hardware) + innovation vs. Sony's PSP strategy of high priced pure sexx...and we were wrong.

What? DS costs way more then any GB did and the games on average cost more.

Tabris said:
Like that. Every freaking thread.

Oh well, DS is a success for Nintendo and all fanboys want to have their fun, so I guess I'll just avoid those threads and hope they don't troll the threads I'm interested in :)

You guys now have no one to debate with about anything in the sales/ds threads.

To bad you'd be happier if you had a DS instead of a PSP.

I mean how can you even play that piece of crap knowing it's being beaten so badly in sales charts?

New Super Mario Bros. baby.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PantherLotus said:
Try reading the rest of the damn sentence Sherlock.

I did and you're wrong. Their strategy was to raise prices, just not to Sony's level (which at that point probably hadn't even been determined).

Lindsay said:
I did and you're wrong. Their strategy was to raise prices, just not to Sony's level (which at that point probably hadn't even been determined).

No I think their strategy actually was to sell a shitload of systems and games and make lots of money.

I'm just speculating on that though. We'll never know for sure.

Tabris

soundwave05 said:
To bad you'd be happier if you had a DS instead of a PSP.

I mean how can you even play that piece of crap knowing it's being beaten so badly in sales charts?

New Super Mario Bros. baby.

I know what you're doing, but I do own a DS and Super Mario Bros :p

I think the GBA is better than both personally.

EDIT: Damn it, I'm trying to avoid these threads now. Stop trolling me in :p

Square2005 said:
Once again right when I'm about to post a graph, the thread is locked:lol. It's the second time in two days! The thread was 'Flashback: People on the DS 18 mos. ago...'.

So here's the visual aid of the assumed end of Nintendo - as many had predicted.
dsvspspmonthlyltd2ob.png

Or the end of Sony's Japanese dominance...:lol

BTW I love making graphs.:D

...and back at home (for 51% of Gaffers)
dsvspspmonthlyltdusa9sg.png

Could you make a worldwide graph Square2005?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Lindsay said:

Don't be a twit. Their strategy was to sell the DS at a lower price than the PSP, and to combine that low price with innovative ideas (that weren't even accepted immediately). The PSP strategy was a shock and awe campaign of pure sexx. Look at it. The PSP screams out "I have too much money" and "will this fit in a head rest?" It's two completely different strategies.

ionicbluebird said:
Could you make a worldwide graph Square2005?

I've answered this before: I only have sales for Famitsu, media-create, and NPD. I don't even know what company compiles European sales and they are never made public or leaked (except for Britain, occasionally). Sorry...
All I can do is look for the quarterly shipped data from Nintendo & Sony.

I could combine Japan & U.S. also.

Emotions

Tabris said:
I know what you're doing, but I do own a DS and Super Mario Bros :p

I think the GBA is better than both personally.

EDIT: Damn it, I'm trying to avoid these threads now. Stop trolling me in :p

Funny how you keep bringin the GBA up , perfectly knowing that is an older platform than both DS and PSP.
It's like saying when the PS2 had 2 years in the market oh the PS1 is better than the PS2. Of course it was better at the time since it had a longer lifespan= bigger library, the same will happen to the DS even if you like it or not.

ziran said:
I think you're taking this too seriously and something is clouding your perception of what has been happening.

PSP software is struggling in Japan because of the same reason most software is struggling in Japan; gamers are bored of the majority of what (more traditional) videogames have become.

With the exception of Nintendo titles and a few franchises, the Japanese market is continuing to decline at an astronomical rate.

Franchise after franchise and genre after genre are just dying. Better graphics, better physics, more immersion, richer story telling, etc, are not going to help. They will just scratch the itch of some of the hardcore, they won't re-grow the market.

There have been weeks when Nintendo software has not only outsold the rest of the handheld software, but outsold the entire chart combined! This is unprecedented in the Sony era, even with Nintendo's handheld autonomy, no developer or publisher has had this kind of hold on the market.

I give Nintendo every credit for creating this shift in their favour and understanding exactly what it is in a videogame that makes people want to play, but, to be honest, I'm pretty disgusted with so many Japanese developers and publishers for acting blindly, adopting a 'hitting their head against a brick wall' strategy. WTF have they been doing?! The Japanese market has been declining for years and none of them have come up with a strategy to stop it. All they can do is make the same kind of games with better graphics, better physics, more immersion, etc, it's pitiful!

In this industry, when the market shifts away from what you're doing all you can do is watch, because todays plans were hatched years ago. In fact Sony's so out of touch with what the Japanese want and what Nintendo's doing, they think a motion sensing controller will help.
word.

Tabris said:
Someone's gotta play the "rebel alliance" part to the nbots "empire" as they would say :p

Hey, we're just playing role reversal. Back when your team declared gloom and doom for DS, we were the rebel alliance.

Bunch of babies = you and Mono

I like the PSP. But the thing I like most about it (sadly) is that it lit a fire under Nintendo's butt. Without the PSP, the DS and it's killer library probably wouldn't exist. Thanks, PSP! (Also for Maverick Hunters, Wipeout Pure and Mercury).

Jokeropia

typhonsentra said:
I also predict that as time goes on, the dedicated Nintendo fanbase will cling tighter and tighter to the Japanese sales figures, especially once the PSP surpasses the DS in hardware sales here and possibly in Europe, they'll move onto the software. Once it surpasses it there, they'll move on to overall sales which it obviously won't win in.
Haha, you are so delusional it's almost sad. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
typhonsentra said:
I also predict that as time goes on, the dedicated Nintendo fanbase will cling tighter and tighter to the Japanese sales figures, especially once the PSP surpasses the DS in hardware sales here and possibly in Europe, they'll move onto the software. Once it surpasses it there, they'll move on to overall sales which it obviously won't win in.

What the hell? Dude, is the PSP winning in ANY region so far? The PSP was barely gaining on the DS in NA and Europe, and thanks to the DS lite, Nintendo's widened the gap again. Hell, we have yet to see the effects of NSMB in NA and Europe so far.

Not to mention, Japanese developers will keep supporting the DS in Japan.

A Link to the Past said:
Hey, we're just playing role reversal. Back when your team declared gloom and doom for DS, we were the rebel alliance.

Bunch of babies = you and Mono

You're *all* assholes if you are doom-and-gloom mongers. I don't care which company's ass your nose is in.

mj1108

Tabris said:
Like that. Every freaking thread.

Oh well, DS is a success for Nintendo and all fanboys want to have their fun, so I guess I'll just avoid those threads and hope they don't troll the threads I'm interested in :)

You guys now have no one to debate with about anything in the sales/ds threads.

Cry me a river.

If it was the opposite and the PSP was pounding the DS in Japan you'd be singing a much different tune in these threads.

Please find somewhere else to troll.

AniHawk

Tabris said:
To once again prove it's not about the handhelds/consoles, but the fanboys that bothers me

Fanboys, huh?

From the Tabris Greatest Hits thread
Tabris said:
I have a feeling most of those announced games for DS from Square got canceled.

They'll get FFIII, that egg hero game and maybe a FF:CC game. That's it for a long time.
Tabris said:
Damage control much? Consumers must just be buying PSP to play DVDs...oh wait.
Tabris said:
and with the PSP, for the first time ever, Sony is the true hardware king. PSP + PS2 = 130k. GC + GBA + DS + GBASP = 80k ...getting close to double.

Tabris said:
Do you hear it?

That's the sound of half the posters in any DS vs PSP sales arguement being OWNED.
Tabris said:
I love this thread. Someone needs to start quoting all the people who just got owned.
Tabris said:
I love this thread. Someone needs to start quoting all the people who just got owned.
Tabris said:
Tabris said:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
meltpotato said:
its sorta funny how, in a way, pre-psp people were saying Sony would dominate the handheld area like the console before it and now, post-ds, people are saying nintendo will take the console market because of its recent success in handhelds.

In all fairness that assumption is kind of dramatic and not many people are doing it at this point. People have been saying Wii will grow Nintendo's marketshare over Gamecube, not that it'll take the market because of DS.

The thing is DS was seen as a stopgap product that wasn't gonna fair well enough for Nintendo to support it for long, for how long last year have we heard speculation and wishful thinking Nintendo was gonna release a 'real' Gameboy to compete with PSP? DS wasn't taken seriously, wereas with PSP everybody went gaga over it from the beginning, the industry analysts did, the media did, the gaming sites did, while DS was dismissed. The fact it was manufactured and sold by the undisputed market leader did not change that fact.

Jeff-DSA

Lindsay said:

Must you 'tard up every thread that has anything to do with the DS?

Jokeropia said:
Haha, you are so delusional it's almost sad. :lol

I see a lot of talk about Japan already, not so much on the American side from your camp. :D

What the hell? Dude, is the PSP winning in ANY region so far? The PSP was barely gaining on the DS in NA and Europe, and thanks to the DS lite, Nintendo's widened the gap again. Hell, we have yet to see the effects of NSMB in NA and Europe so far.

Not to mention, Japanese developers will keep supporting the DS in Japan.

You're misinterpreting what I said. I said that the PSP obviously wouldn't win overall this generation because of the huge lead in Japan. As for it not being ahead? Well, the DS had a large headstart. But since then it's been outsold nearly every month since launch, and usually even lags behind in software sales besides the months with a big release like Nintendogs or Mario. I expect the DSL to sell well because it'll largely be reselling the system to the existing fanbase (Just like with the SP in it's initially), but unless it's a real blowout month followed by another big month, I fully expect the PSP to beat the DS over here. Nintendo's played most of it's cards already whereas Sony's barely played any besides GTA.

Also, I know I sound repetitive, but we go through this so many times that it's hard to keep track of what I've already said in any given topic sometimes.

E-Nature

Battersea Power Station said:
Wow, I actually thought it was a much bigger difference, based on everyone's raving about it.

It's probabyl because Sony is still considered "cooler" than Nintendo. so people tend to buy a PSP before a DS! (itis' probably gonna change with the PS3)
When I was in military last month almost everybody knew about the PSP but almost no one knew about the DS. so the guys there had fun with everybody golf on the PSP while I was brining my survival-DS kit with brain age, brain academy, sonic DS, NSMB etc.

Jokeropia

AniHawk said:
AWESOME. :lol :lol :lol :lol
typhonsentra said:
But since then it's been outsold nearly every month since launch, and usually even lags behind in software sales besides the months with a big release like Nintendogs or Mario.
Actually, the last 6 months or so DS and PSP have been virtually even in both software and hardware in the US. DS is about to take off now with Brain Age, Mario and DS Lite.
typhonsentra said:
Nintendo's played most of it's cards already whereas Sony's barely played any besides GTA.
Haha, what "big cards" does the PSP have coming to match DS Lite and Pokemon?

Jokeropia said:
Actually, the last 6 months or so DS and PSP have been virtually even in both software and hardware in the US. DS is about to take off now with Brain Age, Mario and DS Lite.

Last 5 months, PSP has consistently outsold the DS (with only small victories in software sales the last 2 or 3 months), even in the month that a new Mario platformer was released. If that isn't ominous, I don't know what is. I'm not saying the turnover will happen tomorrow, but unless the DSL offers more than a flash in the pan boost, it seems inevitable to me.

Haha, what "big cards" does the PSP have coming to match DS Lite and Pokemon?

Well for starters, it's never had an actual pricedrop, nor a new color, nor a remodel of any kind to date. Not to mention that most of the major Sony-associated series still haven't made there way to the PSP yet. Nintendo still has a few to go including Pokémon (Final Fantasy and Zelda in the works too), but the PSP has Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Devil May Cry, and so on.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
typhonsentra said:
Nintendo's played most of it's cards already whereas Sony's barely played any besides GTA.
See, PSP is very costly to develop for and also quite annoying as developers can't make umd disc on their own. This is part of why load times have been so bad in the beginning, because no one could even test or tell without having sony make a batch of discs. Of course they have a minimal order quantity. If I remember correctly, games like tokobot and loco roco took forever to come out after they had been announced, although maybe my memory is clouded.

Now, nintendo is employing a bigger than ever force of second party developers to make up for the initial lack of third party support and it's working quite well. They have so far suprised me with the frequency they can come up, announce and actually ship a variety of titles in a very short time.

Well, I guess NSMB and Metroid took forever to come out as well, but in the meantime they shipped like all 3 brain training titles in a short timeframe.

typhonsentra said:
Last 5 months, PSP has consistently outsold the DS (with only small victories in software sales the last 2 or 3 months), even in the month that a new Mario platformer was released. If that isn't ominous, I don't know what is. I'm not saying the turnover will happen tomorrow, but unless the DSL offers more than a flash in the pan boost, it seems inevitable to me.

Well for starters, it's never had an actual pricedrop, nor a new color, nor a remodel of any kind to date. Not to mention that most of the major Sony-associated series still haven't made there way to the PSP yet. Nintendo still has a few to go including Pokémon (Final Fantasy and Zelda in the works too), but the PSP has Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Devil May Cry, and so on.

Dude, New SMB and Brain Age are pretty much the top two sellers in NA right now, with no sign of slowing down.

And I like how you list only three DS games, and then "five PSP games and so on", two of which aren't anywhere near the three DS games' level of success.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate
Final Fantasy III
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Pokémon Ranger (for America and Europe)
Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force (for America and Europe)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
DK: King of Swing DS
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Yoshi's Island 2
Star Fox Command
Children of Mana (for America and Europe)
Mega Man ZX (for America and Europe)
Mega Man ZN
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (for America and Europe)
Brain Training 2 (for America and Europe)
Harvest Moon DS (for America and Europe)
Rune Factory

See? I can list every single game on the DS with a chance of success - but I didn't, I left some out. :)

As far as I can tell, both Tokobot and Loco Roco were released roughly a year after they were first announced (Both at TGS 04 and 05 respectively). That doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

And from what I remember, the only games with really quick turnaround from Nintendo have been the really cheap projects like the Brain Training series. Aside from that, I can't think of much.

From that thread.

I'm excited by these numbers not becuase I care if Sony dominates handhelds, but becuase it seems more and more clear that the PSP is going to be around for a while. 3 months ago, I wasn't as sure. And the PSP titles interest me more than any other handheld offering in a long time.

Games I want + not an orphaned system = good.

Me. I was sane even before I got the PSP. And a little proof that not every Sony fan was clammoring for the DS to fail.

Statement still stnads, too-- PSP will be around for a while!

A Link to the Past said:
Dude, New SMB and Brain Age are pretty much the top two sellers in NA right now, with no sign of slowing down.

And I like how you list only three DS games, and then "five PSP games and so on", two of which aren't anywhere near the three DS games' level of success.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate
Final Fantasy III
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Pokémon Ranger (for America and Europe)
Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force (for America and Europe)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
DK: King of Swing DS
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Yoshi's Island 2
Star Fox Command
Children of Mana (for America and Europe)
Mega Man ZX (for America and Europe)
Mega Man ZN
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (for America and Europe)
Brain Training 2 (for America and Europe)
Harvest Moon DS (for America and Europe)
Rune Factory

See? I can list every single game on the DS with a chance of success - but I didn't, I left some out. :)

I wasn't listing "Games I Like", I was listing big franchises that were big sellers for both companies in the past. I might remove Tekken though, seeing as the last one didn't do too hot.

typhonsentra said:
I wasn't listing "Games I Like", I was listing big franchises that were big sellers for both companies in the past. I might remove Tekken though, seeing as the last one didn't do too hot.

I'm not interested in Children of Mana, Star Fox or King of Swing DS.

All of these games will do great.

FFCC will likely break 1 million
FFIII will definitely break 1 million
Zelda will do more than a million
Yoshi's Island 2 has the potential to beat 1 million
Diamond and Pearl will definitely break 10 million
Kirby will break 500k in Japan alone
Pokémon Ranger's Western sales will cause it to break 1 million
Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon's Western sales will cause it to break 1 million
Star Fox Command has the potential to break 1 million
Harvest Moon DS could do more than 300,000 worldwide
Rune Factory will likely sell a lot of copies
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker will break 1 million

AniHawk

typhonsentra said:

Well it's about a month on and the DS Lite is still helping games top the charts.

The only one there that matters is GT. FFVII will do well though. Like Dirge of Cerberus did (at least). Nothing else there matters.

Oblivion

typhonsentra said:

If I had to guess, I'd say sales were lower that month cause of people waiting for the DSL. Hell, Nintendo even advertised that with the NSMB commercial.

Dude, you're kidding yourself if you think anything besides Gran Turismo (and even then it's doubtful) will make any blemmish in PSP's sales. FF has a chance of passing DoC, but I doubt it'll reach even a million.

Jokeropia

typhonsentra said:
Last 5 months, PSP has consistently outsold the DS (with only small victories in software sales the last 2 or 3 months), even in the month that a new Mario platformer was released. If that isn't ominous, I don't know what is.
Seriously. The PSP has won by very small amounts every month (I guarantee that June will have a larger advantage for DS than what PSP has gained since December) all while GBA has been beating them both. Even if there never was a DS Lite, can't you see that GBA audience is much more likely to eventually move to the DS than the PSP?

The rest of your post is neatly covered by other people.

A Link to the Past said:
I'm not interested in Children of Mana, Star Fox or King of Swing DS.

All of these games will do great.

FFCC will likely break 1 million
FFIII will definitely break 1 million
Zelda will do more than a million
Yoshi's Island 2 has the potential to beat 1 million
Diamond and Pearl will definitely break 10 million
Kirby will break 500k in Japan alone
Pokémon Ranger's Western sales will cause it to break 1 million
Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon's Western sales will cause it to break 1 million
Star Fox Command has the potential to break 1 million
Harvest Moon DS could do more than 300,000 worldwide
Rune Factory will likely sell a lot of copies
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker will break 1 million

We're talking about America right now. I don't expect anything Besides FF3, Zelda, and Pokémon to pass 1 million over here (Those are the 3 I listed anyway).

The only one there that matters is GT. FFVII will do well though. Like Dirge of Cerberus did (at least). Nothing else there matters.

I see it doing much better than Cerberus, if only because it supposedly will focus more on characters FF7 fans care about. I mean, Sephiroth did appear in the last demonstration for this game at E3.

Dude, you're kidding yourself if you think anything besides Gran Turismo (and even then it's doubtful) will make any blemmish in PSP's sales. FF has a chance of passing DoC, but I doubt it'll reach even a million.

"Kidding myself"? Lots of PSP games do well man, SOCOM is likely to surpass 1 million once it drops in price (With an installed base made up of only people that bought the system in the first year), you don't think a Gran Turismo can do that too? Personally, I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Crisis Core won't have an impact. Given, we haven't seen a ton, but what we have screams high production values.

Seriously. The PSP has won by very small amounts every month (I guarantee that June will have a larger advantage for DS than what PSP has gained since December) all while GBA has been beating them both. Even if there never was a DS Lite, can't you see that GBA audience is much more likely to eventually move to the DS than the PSP?

The GBA audience was and is so much larger than either audience for those two systems that it's silly to tspeak in terms of where they'll go next. I doubt we'll ever see comparable sales on either system, the GBA just hit the right cord, and never sold as badly as these two systems have to date, even before the SP remodel.

Oblivion

I see it doing much better than Cerberus, if only because it supposedly will focus more on characters FF7 fans care about. I mean, Sephiroth did appear in the last demonstration for this game at E3.

But how much of an impact do you see it making? History has shown us that spinoffs rarely (if ever) do better than actual sequels.

"Kidding myself"? Lots of PSP games do well man, SOCOM is likely to surpass 1 million once it drops in price (With an installed base made up of only people that bought the system in the first year), you don't think a Gran Turismo can do that too? Personally, I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Crisis Core won't have an impact. Given, we haven't seen a ton, but what we have screams high production values.

Well, I mean I can see it reaching a million, but I'm just going by what the biggest PSP title is currently, GTA: LCS, and it's not selling gangbusters like people originally thought. Isn't it like 1.5 million WW? People were expecting console equivalent sales. Or maybe they were waiting for VCS...

Jokeropia

typhonsentra said:
The GBA audience was and is so much larger than either audience for those two systems that it's silly to tspeak in terms of where they'll go next. I doubt we'll ever see comparable sales on either system, the GBA just hit the right cord, and never sold as badly as these two systems have to date, even before the SP remodel.
So you're saying that the GBA sales will simply die out without any increase in either the DS or PSP? (Not even when DS hits the special $99 price point.) Do you honestly believe that or do you just want to? The GBA hit just the right cord in Japan and EU as well, and those markets have gladly adopted the DS as it's successor. (Japan moreso than EU.)

typhonsentra said:
We're talking about America right now. I don't expect anything Besides FF3, Zelda, and Pokémon to pass 1 million over here (Those are the 3 I listed anyway).

Yeah, and I expect GTAVCS and... well, nothing else on PSP to break 1 million in America.

Figure that, huh? You got a whole one game to win America with. You list a game like Devil May Cry, because it did so well on consoles - but did you ever notice how the games that did so well on consoles didn't do nearly as well on the PSP (SOCOM, GTALCS, MGA, Burnout, etc.)?

Yoshi's Island 2 is coming out in the holiday season, and I have a hard time with the idea that it wouldn't be a hit.

Oblivion said:
But how much of an impact do you see it making? History has shown us that spinoffs rarely (if ever) do better than actual sequels.

And FF7 was a multimillion seller. It doesn't have to do as well to even be considered a smash hit. By the way, FF X-2 sold 1.4 million last I checked.

Well, I mean I can see it reaching a million, but I'm just going by what the biggest PSP title is currently, GTA: LCS, and it's not selling gangbusters like people originally thought. Isn't it like 1.5 million WW? People were expecting console equivalent sales. Or maybe they were waiting for VCS...

That isn't fair to expect, the PSP needs time to gain a customer base. Shit man, the PSP hasn't even had time to hit 5 million customers in the US, no way it could possibly sell as well as the PS2 equivalents overnight. Not to mention that the early announcement of the PS2 version definitely hurt sales (They waited on announcing the PC version of GTA3 for awhile IIRC).

So you're saying that the GBA sales will simply die out without any increase in either the DS or PSP? (Not even when DS hits the special $99 price point.) Do you honestly believe that or do you just want to?

Why are you so convinced it'll just die off? Nintendo hasn't released anything of note for the system since last year and sales still remain high.

Yeah, and I expect GTAVCS and... well, nothing else on PSP to break 1 million in America.

You're kidding yourself if you believe that.

Figure that, huh? You got a whole one game to win America with. You list a game like Devil May Cry, because it did so well on consoles - but did you ever notice how the games that did so well on consoles didn't do nearly as well on the PSP (SOCOM, GTALCS, MGA, Burnout, etc.)?

Again, the system is barely a year old, and all those games haven't had time to sell through entirely. We haven't even had the Greatest Hits line released yet, where the bulk of a game's sales usually happens. MGA also isn't a part of the MGS series, and I could be wrong but I don't think Burnout's that far behind it's console equivalents (Also keep in mind that I didn't bring it up, you did).

Yoshi's Island 2 is coming out in the holiday season, and I have a hard time with the idea that it wouldn't be a hit.

I don't think it's a sure-fire hit if that's what you're asking. It's an outsourced title from a studio that's already made a Yoshi centric game with the same art style that bombed.

Top Bottom