• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton
We may not see Suranovich for a while. I have it on impeccable authority that post race he flipped off the chief steward. No shit.

So he ignored black-orange flags shown for at least 3 laps according to the guy who was following him in the race, caused almost fatal accident and then this? What the fuck, seriously?

moojito

I'll be away watching the brisca f2 british championship when the monaco gp is on, and when the bbc highlights are on at 7pm, I have other stuff I need to be doing. My only hope is that it gets onto the iplayer within a few hours, or I'll have to have some kind of media embargo until midnight tomorrow.

Leunam

Bh9VJ.png

untitled-8a0j03.gif

2011 Race Summary

Vettel won the start from pole and led Button to the first corner, with Alonso getting around a slow starting Webber for third. Hamilton started ninth in the position vacated by Pérez but made little progress on the opening lap. Vettel went 2.4 seconds ahead of Button by the end of the first lap. Schumacher's anti-stall kicked in at the start dropping him to tenth at first corner, but he retook ninth from Hamilton at Grand-Hotel hairpin. Vettel continued to build a strong lead but his pit stop on lap 16 was slow and he was fitted with hard compound tyres due to a radio communication error. Alonso briefly led then but when he pitted on Lap 17 Button went to the lead. He stayed there until Lap 33 when he pitted and Vettel once again resumed the lead.

An incident between Hamilton and Massa caused Massa to crash in the tunnel, bringing out the first safety car. At the same time Schumacher's car suffered an airbox fire as he was about to pit, and he retired in the pit entrance forcing a safety car period while they cleared both cars. Vettel found himself leading behind the safety car and when racing resumed a battle between Vettel, Alonso and Button began. Vettel held the two former world champions behind him, despite being on tyres that had lasted since lap 16. As Button and Alonso fought for second place, the race looked set for an exciting climax, when an accident occurred involving Hamilton, Sutil, Alguersuari and Petrov. Sutil had hit the barrier on the previous corner, causing a right-rear puncture. Hamilton braked as Sutil lost control, and Alguersuari then ran into the back of Hamilton, damaging Hamilton's rear wing. Alguersuari hit the barrier, causing Petrov to do the same and both cars were out of the race, with Petrov being briefly trapped in his car. This brought out the safety car again and on lap 72 the race was red flagged, with the cars stopping on the grid at lap 72. During the red flag period, teams were allowed to change tyres and work on cars. This worked to the advantage of Vettel, Alonso, and Hamilton. Vettel and Alonso had heavily used tyres, while Hamilton most likely would not have been able to finish the race with the damaged rear wing that required almost the entire red flag period to repair.

After Petrov was extracted from his car and the track cleared, the race resumed still behind the safety car, which went in at the end of lap 73. On lap 74 there was a brief yellow flag period due to an incident between Hamilton and Maldonado, ending Maldonado's race with a broken front suspension. Vettel took the chequered flag, extending his lead in the world championship to 58 points. Vettel was closely followed by Alonso in second, with Button taking the final podium spot.

Hamilton had a difficult day, being penalised for causing two avoidable accidents, one involving Massa (for which he was given a drive-through penalty), and another with Maldonado for which he received a post-race 20 second penalty which did not affect his sixth placing. Hamilton criticised the stewards after the race, telling the BBC "Out of six races, I've been to the stewards five times. It's a joke, it's an absolute frickin' joke." He later apologised.

Circuit Info

E14Nn.png

XR8gX.png

Laps
78​
Circuit length
3.340 km (2.075 mi)​
Race length
260.520 km (161.887 mi)​
Lap Record
Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:14.439​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Ayrton Senna (6)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
McLaren (15)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red-Bull Renault
2010 - Mark Webber for Red-Bull Renault
2009 - Jenson Button for Brawn-Mercedes
2008 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2007 - Fernando Alonso for McLaren-Mercedes
2006 - Fernando Alonso for Renault
2005 - Kimi Räikkönen for McLaren-Mercedes

Videos highlighting the Monaco Grand Prix

Brief highlight reel of 1950 Monaco GP

Highlights from the 2010 Monaco GP

Highlights from the 1982 Monaco GP

Highlights from the 1961 Monaco GP

Highlights from the 2009 Monaco GP

Onboard laps from Monaco
- Senna, 1986
- Senna, 1990
- Alonso, 2005
- Button, 2009
- Kubica, 2010
- Vettel, 2012

Changes from 2011

-Various sections of the circuit have been resurfaced in order to remove bumps that were present in 2011.
-Tyre walls have been replaced by TecPro barriers in turns 1 and 14.
-One ‘planter’ has been removed on the right in the pit exit thereby allowing a straighter line out of the pits.
-The crane situated on the end of the barrier in the run-off area at the chicane has been removed thereby providing nearly 15 metres more space.
-An abrasive surface has been laid in the run-offs at turns 1, 5 and 10.

GP Facts

-This will be the 70th Monaco Grand Prix, the race stretching all the way back to 1929. It is the 59th Formula One race here, with the principality making its bow on the first F1 tour in 1950. It then took a break until 1955 but has featured on the calendar every year since.
-Ayrton Senna holds the record for the most wins here, with six. Five of them were back-to-back, scored between 1989 and 1993. Michael Schumacher and Graham Hill are next on the list with five apiece. Hill became known as ‘Mr Monaco’ in the 1960s, winning from 1963-’65 and also in ’68 and ’69.
-Alain Prost won four times in the 1980s, his first victory arriving in 1984. His tally, plus Senna’s, led to the unbelievable statistic that for an entire decade from 1984-’93 just two drivers won here.
-In 1955, Alberto Ascari drove through the chicane and crashed into the harbour. He survived that brush with death and swam to safety only to be killed four days later, testing a Ferrari at Monza. The only other driver to end a race in similar style was Australian Paul Hawkins who crashed into the harbour after 79 laps of the 1965 race. He also swam to safety, but like Ascari, racing took his life and Hawkins fatally crashed out in a sports car race at Oulton Park in 1969.
-The 1982 race had possibly the most exciting end to any race here, with five leaders in the final two laps. Prost led with rain failing but slid off. Riccardo Patrese then led but spun and rejoined. That left the way open to Didier Pironi but amazingly he ran out of fuel, as did the next man on track, Andrea de Cesaris. Derek Daly took over but his already damaged car stopped on the final lap, leaving the win to Patrese who had managed to bump-start his car. The Italian had no idea he had just claimed his first grand prix win.
-1984 saw one of the most memorable Monaco races. In heavy rain Alain Prost hung on to the lead from pole position to take the win when the race was stopped after 31 laps. Had it gone on any longer, though, the Frenchman would surely have been caught by either Ayrton Senna, who had risen to second from 13th on the grid, or Stefan Bellof, who had driven superbly to reach third from 20th on the grid despite the conditions.
-Olivier Panis scored his only F1 win here in a rain-hit race in 1996. The attrition rate was so high that just seven of the 22 starters were classified, though by the time the race had reached its two-hour limit just four were still running. Panis’ caution earned him a narrow win ahead of David Coulthard and gave his Ligier team a first victory in 15 seasons.
-Panis won his race from 14th on the grid. That makes him something of an anomaly, as in the past 20 years he is the only driver to have won from further back than third on the grid. Pole, however, is not as important as it seems, with 10 of the past 20 winners starting from second or third.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
1IGoE.png

Constructors Championship
A5c9n.png

Fantasy League Championship
Pg6ju.png

Leunam

Anytime. :)

If there is one video I recommend everyone watch, it's the 1982 Monaco clip. Didn't know about the madness surrounding that race until today.

Leunam

If Schumacher somehow does pull off a win, which I would love to see, he would tie with Ayrton Senna for six wins at Monaco. I can't even begin to imagine that feeling.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If Schumacher somehow does pull off a win, which I would love to see, he would tie with Ayrton Senna for six wins at Monaco. I can't even begin to imagine that feeling.
I think he's past the point of crying over these stats now, so a repeat of this is unlikely, but he'll certainly be emotional that's for sure.

BobTheBub

Edmond Dantès;38231492 said:
I think he's past the point of crying over these stats now, so a repeat of this is unlikely, but he'll certainly be emotional that's for sure.

Completely OT but loved the YT comment on that.

schumacher was, is and will be just a teaft and notih more tan that. he newer was punished 4 any malversation when ferrari was cought. if there is any justice he would had no more than 2 titles period

Read it 4 times before I had any idea of what it meant and was then shocked to discover that this apparently illiterate comment had taught me a new word.

Malversation misbehavior and especially corruption in an office, trust, or commission

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Red Bull
Team Star Wars

http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2012/20120526/redbull_hires/_thumbs1/141017415KR186_Monaco_F1_Gr.jpg[/IG]

McLaren
Team Fresh Prince

[IMG]http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2012/20120526/mclaren_hires/_thumbs1/06F1GPMonaco4998.jpg[/IG]

Ferrari
Team Frozen Banana

[IMG]http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2012/20120526/ferrari_hires/_thumbs1/120093_mon.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Ron Howard's probably the most talented of the celebrities in this day and age though.

Shaneus

Bugger that, the first one is team SHOW ME THE MONEY. Or team Sled Dogs. Actually, given Webber's history with being airborne, it's team Tuskegee.

BTW looks like Usenet is being awesome today and already has the qualis up for download in HD. Woo!

Chris R

Wait... race starts at noon Eastern, which is in DST mode right now so its UTC -4, right? That means it starts at 4 p.m. GMT.

And we have Rubens! Sato! Bourdais! ... Alesi in a backmarker! Woo!

Does the race start at noon or does race coverage start at noon with a half hour pre race show? Two very different things!

Excellent preview as always Leunam. Can't start a Grand Prix without having read the preview first. :)

Where can someone watch the qualifying online? I missed it.

It's usually on the iplayer within a few hours, should be on there. If you're outside the U.K use the bbc-player software to access the iplayer.

It's usually on the iplayer within a few hours, should be on there. If you're outside the U.K use the bbc-player software to access the iplayer.
Thanks! But having some trouble. I downloaded the iPlayer software and I don't know how to use it. The qualifying is on the iPlayer website but it says "this episode is not available for download. I'm in Canada btw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jc8nc/Formula_1_2012_The_Monaco_Grand_Prix_Qualifying/

Can someone help?

Thanks! But having some trouble. I downloaded the iPlayer software and I don't know how to use it. The qualifying is on the iPlayer website but it says "this episode is not available for download. I'm in Canada btw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jc8nc/Formula_1_2012_The_Monaco_Grand_Prix_Qualifying/

Can someone help?

Not sure if its available outside of u.k. It's available for me.

Did you download the iplayer software from here? http://bbc-player.com/

Its a simple install which you can then use to access the content from outside the U.K.

When you open the software there sould be a drop-down menu in the top left, select iplayer from there.

Oh damn that one. Nope I downloaded a different one from the official BBC website. Okay yeah I remember this one mentioned a few weeks ago in here but is it not available for mac? :(

Thanks for that. Really hope its available for mac but I don't see any indication that it is.

Oh damn that one. Nope I downloaded a different one from the official BBC website. Okay yeah I remember this one mentioned a few weeks ago in here but is it not available for mac? :(

Thanks for that. Really hope its available for mac but I don't see any indication that it is.

I think your best option may be to download the quali from torrents or filesharing websites.

Shaneus

Just watched Q3 (thanks Usenet!) and holy fuck, what a finish. So close b/w Schumacher and Webber, both putting out insane laps. The disparity b/w Vettel and Webber this year is interesting, though. Either it's fairly close if Vettel's doing better, or Webber beasts the fuck out if #1. I don't get it.

Edit: Holy shit, that final lap in 1982 was crazy! So much shit going on. Love it.

I wonder what will happen to Hamilton when Nicole leaves him again?

Her plastic surgeries are expiring. SHe's not as gorgeous as she was in 2007/08 she's getting old very quickly.

So he should be happy. He's much better looking than Jenson, wealthier, more famous, and black. He can almost get any girl he wants

Shaneus

So, the last three years, Monaco's winners have come from pole. Chances of us seeing that again? You'd have to think that with said disparity (at least on the starting grid) b/w the two RBR drivers, they'll be emphasising a Webber victory moreso than getting Vettel up there (or even the "50/50" thing), yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom