• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the last three years, Monaco's winners have come from pole. Chances of us seeing that again? You'd have to think that with said disparity (at least on the starting grid) b/w the two RBR drivers, they'll be emphasising a Webber victory moreso than getting Vettel up there (or even the "50/50" thing), yeah?

No brainer for Redbull. A win in Monaco comes above any other priority.

But I don't see how could they focus on Webber, his strategy is easy. Take-off well, and you'r good to go, they only need to cover the driver behind him. So its down to him really. The team will naturally pay more attention to how to capitalise on any opportunity for Vettel

Thanks for the preview Leu

IISANDERII

E14Nn.png

XR8gX.png
Do F1 cars no longer have 7 speed gearboxes? Is this since they've scaled back the revs?
And I thought that Loews, being the slowest corner in F1, was also special in that it's the only corner on the entire calendar in which 1st gear is used.

curious to the end,
Sander

Do F1 cars no longer have 7 speed gearboxes? Is this since they've scaled back the revs?
And I thought that Loews, being the slowest corner in F1, was also special in that it's the only corner on the entire calendar in which 1st gear is used.

curious to the end,
Sander

They do, but maybe the simulation above doesn't show when the 7th is being used? or the circuit is too slow for them to reach the 7th gear?

One thing I'm sure of is that the cars have 7th gear. Maybe others can explain why it's not shown there

Chris R

Slowest circuit on the calendar, so I'm betting they never need 7th. Max downforce on the cars at all times because even with all that downforce on the cars they have enough power to reach the max speed they need to reach while still having the downforce for the twisty bits.

DBT85

Just seen that GP3 accident. Jesus christ. What a bellend.

Hoping for a good race for Hamilton even if all he does is stay 3rd.

Shaneus

Slowest circuit on the calendar, so I'm betting they never need 7th. Max downforce on the cars at all times because even with all that downforce on the cars they have enough power to reach the max speed they need to reach while still having the downforce for the twisty bits.
Yeah, slow circuit means this definitely favours the RBR cars (at least, the drivers who can actually handle driving without exhaust-blown diffusers) and surprisingly (it seems) the Merc. Not sure what magic juju they're pulling, but they're doing it.

Given how well Webber's done with this track, I don't think it's without false hope that I'm looking extra-forward to tonight.

AAequal

Banned
I doubt someone that drives like that holds much financial backing.

Pastor Maldonado was banned from racing at the principality for life when he ignored safety flags and drove over a marshall, seriously injuring him. Until rich daddy and friends worked it over with FIA, Monaco Auto Club and the marshall.

AAequal

Banned
That 1982 highlight clip is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5nt7IdyPs

This accident? Or is that another one of his stupid mistakes?

2005 Monaco, ignored yellow flags and ran-over Marshall. Not 100% sure if FIA gave him the ban or maybe it was just Monaco Auto Club banning him from the track for life but in any way there was some writings how Chavez and other high ranking people pressured Monaco Auto Club / FIA to reduce his penalty to ban of nine races. So, yeah, that's another one of his stupid mistakes :b Hopefully he won't be goofing off again and does well for rest of the season.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rumours in the papers thus morning that Vettel has signed a pre contract agreement with Ferrari for the 2014 season.
His joining the team will depend on their form at the end if this season.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Haven't missed a Monaco race in the past 20 years or so. I always make time for it, whatever life situation I may be in.

Today's no exception. Let's do this.

Shaneus

That would be INCREDIBLY weird. Is this his way of chucking a hissy-fit?

Imagine though. If he's having issues adapting to something as (relatively) minor as the diffuser ban, how's he going to cope when the whole car is shit? I'm calling bullshit for the time being. Just doesn't make sense, unless it's to replace Alonso... there's no way both would be in the same team.

Do we have any other mention of it other than here or "the papers"? Even just rumours on Twitter would be something.

Edit: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7780998,0.html (note, I haven't read it yet)

Guess RBR would hold onto Mark then? This just seems like an incredibly weird mood. But I'm not sure of his temperament... would he really crack the sads with a team if he's not in a car he can possibly take to the WDC? I mean, shit, he's even ahead at the moment.

edit:
The claims are also repeated in The Sunday Times, with the newspaper proceeding to suggest that any such agreement would likely result in Vettel's current team-mate, Mark Webber, also leaving Red Bull for Ferrari, albeit a year in advance and for just a single season.
Fucking seriously? Webber would go with Vettel? I highly fucking doubt it. Not if Newey's staying there.

IT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE

DBT85

Edmond Dantès;38241243 said:
Him and Alonso in the same team, expect fireworks.

I don't think Alonso see's Vettel as a competative threat to him in the same car tbh.

From the BBC yesterday

"In Monaco, traditionally, the first three drivers on the grid have a chance of winning," Alonso said.
"But we are looking further ahead. We are looking to November and it is Hamilton we want to be close to."

Earlier in the Monaco weekend, Alonso had said of Hamilton: "It is impossible to predict how the season will evolve, but I would hardly believe it will stay like this.
"Still, if I can tip one driver, I would pick him because he's the only one who can make a difference even with a car that is not a winner."

High praise or mind games?

Rumours in the papers thus morning that Vettel has signed a pre contract agreement with Ferrari for the 2014 season.
His joining the team will depend on their form at the end if this season.

Doesn't make sense.

2014 will have different cars altogether. Who started the rumour needed to do more research LOL

fogberto

Neo Member
I envy all the people who live in countries other than Australia. I got up at something like 7am this morning and the wait has been agonising.

I've got an assignment due tomorrow that I've been working on, but I think it's too close to race start to concentrate anymore.

I'm watching the 2011 Monaco GP for the fourth time to get my fix.

Shaneus

I envy all the people who live in countries other than Australia. I got up at something like 7am this morning and the wait has been agonising.

I've got an assignment due tomorrow that I've been working on, but I think it's too close to race start to concentrate anymore.

I'm watching the 2011 Monaco GP for the fourth time to get my fix.
We should start our own F1 2011 league. Just us two. At a reasonable time. Maybe Crumb can join us.

Shaneus

Warrants a post to itself. Just posted this on the FB wall of the Australian broadcaster of the F1:

"Network Ten is committed to bringing Formula One and MotoGP to more viewers and building motorsport’s television presence in Australia." Except when there's other stuff to promote, right? From your Twitter tonight:
"@channelten SUPER SUNDAY: The Project, Modern Family, New Girl, Masterchef Australia and Touch! Local guide: http://bit.ly/xYW3sk"
Absolutely no mention of the F1 AT ALL on your feed (despite an Aussie being on pole), but as long as you're promoting online streams of other shows, that's all that matters I guess.

At least we get I Spy and the netball in HD. Great work.
To bring you up to speed: the reason it's been moved from an HD channel to an SD one is so it can reach more viewers.

Seriously, fuck them. Fucking pisses me off.

Dilly

Banned
Belgian media reporting that Ecclestone said that Spa-Francorchamps' place on the calendar won't be shared with France.

Negotiations for a new contract are going well.

Bernie laid his hand on the journalists arm and said 'Don't worry, it's going to be alright'. :lol

Sloane

Banned
Fucking seriously? Webber would go with Vettel? I highly fucking doubt it. Not if Newey's staying there.
According to the quote, he wouldn't go with him but in 2013, then leave so Vettel can take over his cockpit in 2014? Eh. Late April fools'?

Belgian media reporting that Ecclestone said that Spa-Francorchamps' place on the calendar won't be shared with France.
YES!

jey_16

Banned
Damn....webber replaces Massa next year and then vettel replaces him in 2014? Too good to be true....really opens up a spot for Hamilton at red bull as well

I like seeing the drivers change teams though, we haven't had any major changes at the top teams since the start of 2010

Negotiations for a new contract are going well.

Bernie laid his hand on the journalists arm and said 'Don't worry, it's going to be alright'. :lol

Great stuff.. I love Ecclestone

Damn....webber replaces Massa next year and then vettel replaces him in 2014? Too good to be true....really opens up a spot for Hamilton at red bull as well

I like seeing the drivers change teams though, we haven't had any major changes at the top teams since the start of 2010

If Massa keeps performing well, or actually starts performing well 1 year gap would better be filled by him than Webber

And Why would Webber leave Redbull for another 1 year contract, especially a one that he knows it won't get renewed? unless Redbull are pushing him out. Which again, doesn't make sense, Why would Redbull want to push Webber out if they know that Vettel is going to Ferrari in 2014? Webber can easily give 2 more years of good performance if not more

The whole thing is a stupid rumour. It doesn't make sense from every angle

Apparently, it's not likely that France still wants to push for a new GP.

Guessing Hollande's election has something to do with that.

Probably, but Ecclestone said that "they had enough time to sign the contract". So I'm sure its more than that, and Hollande's election was probably the last nail in the coffin

Shaneus

LOL! But it is a different day!!

What I'm asking is is it playing on Sky or BBC for I don't have access to Sky. :(
Metaphorically, it's the same day. It's a metaphor. Only thing is, I'm not sure if it's actually being broadcast on BBC this weekend. In which case, it's a different day and you're forced to go outside regardless of the weather.

navanman

Rumours in the paddock that there will be a protest about the legalities of the RBR floor.
Jennie Gow ‏@JennieGow
Could be a protest looming after the race as the Red Bull floor comes under scrutiny from the other teams. Interesting times ahead

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
Likely floor issues are going to be slots infront of the rear tyres, flexibility or the detail dimensions. lets see

Perez also starts last after gearbox change.

DBT85

Perez also starts last after gearbox change.

Makes sense if you are way out of position to change as much as you can when it's parts that are limited.

Do they have to show that the part they are replacing is in need of replacement or can they just go "fuck it, new engine, move us back from last"?

Makes sense if you are way out of position to change as much as you can when it's parts that are limited.

Do they have to show that the part they are replacing is in need of replacement or can they just go "fuck it, new engine, move us back from last"?

That. I think their should be something done about it

navanman

RBR floor? What's so special?
I'm not smart enough to know that but I'm sure someone besides the protesting teams will have figured it out soon.

From looking around, it could be a new DD diffuser setup:
Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener
#F1 #Monaco There seems to be a fully enclosed hole in the Red Bull floor, which could be illegal. FIA investigating right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom