• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, just noticed this.
Thrusters?
EDIT: Nevermind, he was using promethean vision.. weird.
LPeBR.png

HEADSHOT +10

It would be cool if your shields had to be full in order to sprint.
Then it would be used as a means to engage combat, rather than fleeing.

lol

And nah, the game would probably play too slow then, the movement speed while not as bad as Reach still seems like it needs Sprint to keep things going. I would not mind if things got moved up just a pinch.

After seeing all the matches, changes/things that I'm skeptical about aside, it looks like halo 4 is going to be a lot of fun to play.

everything else...

tumblr_m5bo2mNAVJ1qzczcyo1_500.gif

The problem with a 5 shot BR/DMR is that you also have sprint as a default now. It makes sense that people drop like flies in other games like COD because people have sprint there. So, if you're going to include sprint as a default in Halo then you need to make an adjustment to how weapons deal damage and 5 feels like a bit much if people can just sprint away so easily and then recharge to full health.

3sk for DMR
4sk for BR
4sk for Carbine
4sk for Pistol (increase clip size btw)

That makes sense to me.
3 shot DMR? 4 shot Carbine? You're high. Range and speed of kills would be ridiculous for DMR, and the Carbine is like a 7sk because it fires ridiculously fast. But I agree with the general sentiment.

kylej

Banned
343 should hire Walshy. And I'm not saying that as a gimmick, dude is personable and understands Halo. Stick him in a room with some Adderall and Red Bull for the next 6 months and listen to all his feedback about the game.

feel

343 should hire Walshy. And I'm not saying that as a gimmick, dude is personable and understands Halo. Stick him in a room with some Adderall and Red Bull for the next 6 months and listen to all his feedback about the game.
Yep.

Voltron64

I don't see the Sticky Designator serving as a 'replacement' for the pro-pipe if that is indeed the intention. I'm not sure I saw a single kill with it in any of the MLG videos, although I'm sure it will take a bit of time to get the hang of it. It took me a while to find the pro-pipe useful, but I love the thing now. I do wish the SD had the trigger action that the pro-pipe did in that when you shoot it, you hold down the trigger and release to explode rather then pressing the trigger twice. It appeared to be too difficult to land a shot and get it to explode when you wanted (i.e. before the player made an escape). The PP is quick and deadly and appears to be more powerful. The rockets also appear to need a damage boost.
It may have been a fluke, but towards the end of a match on long bow where my team was down a few kills I received sticky grenade gun in an ordinance drop and I was able to get about 5 kills with it and we came back and won the game by one kill. Just lead your shot, aim at their feet, and detonate.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The carbine definitely looks like it'll be my main precision weapon. I imagine they'll tweak things between now and launch, but as is it stands now, it looks to be the best.

Carbine : Scattershot : Thrusters : Enhanced Radar : Quick Regen. My body loadout is ready.

I was thinking this when watching him, Dude seems really nice and would be a great benefit for 343 as some kind of semi permanent multiplayer consultant. I dont doubt 343 but i figure having someone with this kind of halo background to bounce ideas off on a semi permanent could go a big way in making the multiplayer the most competitive yet. Im not sure how much his impact would have on Halo for the Non-MLG players but i figure if they can get core competitive halo down the rest of it should all fall into place with some tweaks.

One thing i do like is 343 seems to be working more or at least getting on better terms with the pro community and MLG which is great for that scene im sure.

Homeboyd

It may have been a fluke, but towards the end of a match on long bow where my team was down a few kills I received sticky grenade gun in an ordinance drop and I was able to get about 5 kills with it and we came back and won the game by one kill. Just lead your shot, aim at their feet, and detonate.
Excellent! How does it stack up to the pro-pipe though? Harder/easier to use? Fun factor? I can see how tagging things like an ordnance drop could be fun, but I don't see myself shooting one, running off in a corner to hide and wait for an enemy to try and pick it up and then detonate it. The idea sounds fun on paper but I wonder how often that would actually happen.

inb4thatdoesntsoundfunonpaper

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The way Promethean Vision fucks with the flow of combat definitely gives me vibes of Armor Lock.

I don't even want it nerfed, I would rather it removed. Highly unlikely, but I don't think it adds anything to the combat. Theres a reason why wallhacks are so frowned upon anyways, the fuck with a game right at the combat's fundamentals.

Also, another question. DMR is 5 shot kill. 15 bullets. Ideal aim would net you 3 kills before reloading. Seems par for the course for Halo utility weapons.

BR is 5 shot kill, with 36 rounds. It's a 3 shot burst. 36/3 means it has 12 shots. It being a 5 shot kill, would mean a BR can only take down 2 people with perfect aim, leaving an awkward 2 shots behind.

This also means you have less of an ability to kill even 2 guys. With the DMR, you can miss 5 shots and still have enough ammo to kill 2 people at once.

With the BR you can only miss 2 times, something which is far too easy to do. Meaning if you don't connect, maybe even fully connect, with 3 shots, you can only take down one person.

If you recall, the Beta DMR had 12 shots in it and people hated it. They upped it to 15.

So what's the deal 343? Trying to put it on level playingfield with the AR or something? I don't get this design choice.

Either up the ammo to 45 and keep it a 5 shot. Let the canon people freak out or give an explanation that this is the new line of BR (it does look a lot different) or, make it 4 shot.

Yeah, Bungie also upped the ammo in the Needle Rifle from 2 kills and change per clip to 3. With the Magnum...oh yeah, they didn't increase the ammo, and nerfed the shit out of the thing on top of that.

just received this

axfuU.png

lol

You should reply with "You're*"

CyReN

Walshy doesn't use addy.

I really hope Walshy keeps at it though, he can easily be a loudest voice from our community with minimal effort.

The weapon play for the most part looked pretty fun from the vids. I veer from abject disillusionment to a rabid hunger to play the game. Today I am in an optimistic state for the multi.

The good

- Wraparound. Looks great aesthetically, liked the neurons of light skirting around the edges of the lower section and the general sleekness of the Forerunner architecture. More importantly it appears to be a decent map for competitive play, a little like Zealot in its basic shape but much better.

- Carbine and DMR. Both look excellent in their reliability. Slightly concerned about that DMR bloom though, I'd like to see somebody mash the trigger for 15 shots to know the upper limits of the reticle and if it can be spammed through like Reach. I think it'll be alright this time based on previous comments from Frank and the pros favourable reaction to it.

- Strafing. Saw some sick strafes in those vids, pros were missing shots completely from them.

The bad

- That shitty drowned out ringing affect when hit by a grenade has been retained from Reach. Please bin it for the shipped version, it adds nothing and is annoying at best. Surprised nobody else is complaining about this one.

- The BR. It sounds weak. The reticle is slightly too big. The crosshair lines need to indent into the circle rather than stick out at the side. The clip size is incongruous with a 5 shot kill (only allows two kills before reload). Should absolutely be a four shot kill. The player feedback in regards to shield depletion was poor. Overall the BR was my biggest disappointment from todays footage, it's supposed to be the iconic Halo weapon but came off as a poor third to the Carbine and DMR. (That doesn't mean nerf the Carbine and DMR, it means buff the BR :)

- Promethean Vision. Oh MY. Ideally I'd say remove it from the game and pretend it never happened. Failing that, nerf nerf nerf it. Has the potential to be Halo 4's Armour Lock. I envisage it grinding play to a halt and breeding fearful gameplay styles at higher skill levels.

Overall, I'm happy with what I saw today. Boy do I wish this game had a beta though!

kylej

Banned
watching the dev commentary. The 343 guy said the mech map is a really good, small map, then launches into its canonical place in the fiction. That's a small map?

I sense Boneyard-sized maps coming this November.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent! How does it stack up to the pro-pipe though? Harder/easier to use? Fun factor? I can see how tagging things like an ordnance drop could be fun, but I don't see myself shooting one, running off in a corner to hide and wait for an enemy to try and pick it up and then detonate it. The idea sounds fun on paper but I wonder how often that would actually happen.

inb4thatdoesntsoundfunonpaper
The dudes in the MLG videos were making the (understandable) mistake of using it just like the Reach grenade launcher. They'd try to arch it at an enemy and detonate in mid-air. No bueno.

I foresee myself using it just like I sometimes use plasma grenades -- plant it on the ground right as an enemy comes around the corner. Or like spike grenades in Halo 3! Stick it to a surface and let it blow in their face. The only difference with the Sticky D is that you can control the timing, and wait as long as you need for your target to get within the blast range.

The way Promethean Vision fucks with the flow of combat definitely gives me vibes of Armor Lock.
It's not nearly as bad as AL, but yeah, it isn't ideal. There were times in the vids when opponents were very obviously not paying attention cause they were too busy scanning for enemies across the map (where they wouldn't even be able to get kills anyway).

finally watched the videos, my impressions:

1) Adrift is way too dark. It needs significant lighting work
2) Some sounds are kinda janky. Throwing grenades has all these clicks and clanks and extra noises that seem unnecessary. The sound you make when dying is lame.
3) On that note, do we really need every little thing we do announced? I don't want to be yelled at when I get an assassination, or pick up an overshield.
4) BR needs a buff. Should be a 4sk, especially if they're keeping it a 36 shot mag
5) Carbine is a beast. Really excited to use that.
6) Fix overshield please, it has too much invincibility.
7) The one-minute-remaining music is pretty cool, gives a good sense of urgency.

Can you have Camo and Promethean Vision? if so Predator variation on Juggernaut just got crazy fun.

Predator

Camo
Promethean Vision
Plasma Launcher
Sword
Damage Resistance

Humans/Survivors
BR/DMR/Assault Rifle
Turrets on map (to detach and RP Jesse "The Body" Ventura/Blain)
No AA's

Multiplayer Map
7BxJUl.jpg

watching the dev commentary. The 343 guy said the mech map is a really good, small map, then launches into its canonical place in the fiction. That's a small map?

I sense Boneyard-sized maps coming this November.

Oh and I'd add that War House looked quite forgettable, I don't like maps with an emphasis on 'close range' combat because that typically means in MM Halo Shotguns, Swords, Hammers and quick AR beatdowns. Think Bungie setup 'Countdown'. Terrible. War House kinda reminded me of Condemned but with zero grav turned off. I doubt it's a map that'll recieve many votes from me in MM but time will tell. It could be great who knows.

Stalker said:
Predator variation

Nice.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Adrift looks way, waaay different than I thought. I'm not sure I understand the big orange skybox, is there a window there or something?

And it's not as cluttered looking as the screens made it.

Woorloog

Banned
3) On that note, do we really need every little thing we do announced? I don't want to be yelled at when I get an assassination, or pick up an overshield.

Be glad the game doesn't prompt you to do stuff and highlight that with a yell
"ASSASSINATE THE ENEMY!!!" and then "ASSASSINATION!!!"

I've come to realise how sad I am at the Promethean reveal. Remember Halo: CE when you first encounter the flood. That shit was surprising as fuck. You don't see the prometheans until a 3rd into the game right? Imagine, people's faces and the response you would got if you had left the reveal to the players.

I understand the new enemies and storyline is what is driving all the support for the game pre-release, but still, fuck.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I've come to realise how sad I am at the Promethean reveal. Remember Halo: CE when you first encounter the flood. That shit was surprising as fuck. You don't see the prometheans until a 3rd into the game right? Imagine, people's faces and the response you would got if you had left the reveal to the players.

I understand the new enemies and storyline is was is driving all the support for the game pre-release, but still, fuck.

You're just assuming we're not going to have any other enemy surprises.

kylej

Banned
Scanning Formal's twitter since I haven't seen any of his impressions yet, not really a whole lot of information. Said it's "harder to shoot", and that the DMR is great. First game he went 17-1 with 8 blains. Also got a killtrocity on 10 sens not long after that. Hope they capped some of those games.

https://twitter.com/F0RMAL/status/210822087521210368

^^^ That makes me feel good.

I understand the new enemies and storyline is what is driving all the support for the game pre-release, but still, fuck.

I'm more concerned about the QTEs (that's not exactly what they are, but close enough) during the reveal at this point. The reveal of the Flood was very simple – there's a cutscene then it's all gameplay. You experience the Flood through fighting them. Judging from the demo (though by no means conclusive), it seems that 343 has the intent of wrestling control away from players in order to present dramatic moments. This type of presentation is cool on the first run, but I haven't seen a game where it's implemented in such a way that doesn't get old on repeat runs.

Scanning Formal's twitter since I haven't seen any of his impressions yet, not really a whole lot of information. Said it's "harder to shoot", and that the DMR is great. First game he went 17-1 with 8 blains. Also got a killtrocity on 10 sens not long after that. Hope they capped some of those games.

So much confusion surrounding things, Hopefully its the reach sniper i love using that. I dont think we will ever really know until we play the game for a extended period of time

I still think that Promethean Vision is one of those things that seems useful at first but actually isn't once you get used to how the game works- essentially a noob crutch.

Woorloog

Banned
I still think that Promethean Vision is one of those things that seems useful at first but actually isn't once you get used to how the game works- essentially a noob crutch.

That's what i've been saying for a couple of days now. With good map knowledge, you really don't need it. You know where the enemies will spawn, you know the weapon drop points, you know the chokepoints, you know the flow, you know the "hiding" places and so on. And of course you have radar, regardless.
Sure, the PV allows exact knowledge of the enemy position... but a good player does not need that. No earlier Halo has PV... and we do fine without it. It is a noob crutch as you say.
And not using PV allows one to use some other AA, an AA that helps in battle direct, or something like that.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member

that makes me sad, Reach sniper is WAAAAYYYY to easy to use

@mastrbiggy 4.8 kilometers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom