• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motomu Toriyama hints at a new Final Fantasy XIII in Ultimania Omega

Shahed

And in an effort to appeal to everyone, including those who thought that the original XIII was too difficult, they made the game way easier and added an Easy Mode... but didn't adjust the difficulty for those who were more than fine with the original XIII's difficulty. .

People complained XIII was too hard? Who on earth thought that? Once you got used to all the roles, the game was straightforward, even post game content. I thought XIII was too easy, which makes the fact they made XIII-2 easier even more annoying. Imagine if they gave you Haste?

That's one thing I want from XIII-3 if they do one. Give us a Hard mode, or bump the difficulty of Normal up. Those who find it too hard can play on Easy.

Marlowe89

Toriyama's like that gratingly annoying crackhead down the street that constantly tries to sell you fast food he grabbed from a nearby garbage bin. And you keep telling him "NO I DON'T WANT TO BUY THIS, LEAVE ME ALONE" to no avail.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People complained XIII was too hard? Who on earth thought that? Once you got used to all the roles, the game was straightforward, even post game content. I thought XIII was too easy, which makes the fact they made XIII-2 easier even more annoying. Imagine if they gave you Haste?

That's one thing I want from XIII-3 if they do one. Give us a Hard mode, or bump the difficulty of Normal up. Those who find it too hard can play on Easy.
Yeah, there were people who found it to be too difficult, particularly those (speaking anecdotally here out of my friends and acquaintances, some of which who do play RPGs quite often) who seemed to have played for the story (and liked it, I might add) and didn't bother to take into account the game's subtle push for the player to experiment with all of the classes at their disposal once the party joined together (Defender, Enhancer, and Jammer, for the most part).

Auto-battle was supposed to be a method of having people who wanted to play the game for the Advent Children-like spectacle and the story have an easier time through it, but Auto-Battle is so inelegant with the choices it makes for attacks. Problem with Auto-Battle was that it selected the poorest commands for efficiency, synergy, animation-linking, and speed and ended up making the battle less synergetic. EX: if an enemy has no elemental weakness, Auto-Battle would generally select Fire as the default spell. This is not the best spell to use to increase the Break Bar at all. It takes time for the initial cast to be made, and it takes time for the spell to hit the enemy. The best spell to use in almost every situation is Thunder because it's fast and it isn't going to take a lot of time to meet the target depending on distance.

Sometimes Auto-Battle would select a "Fire, Flamestrike, Fire, Flamestrike" pattern in the ATB bar... which makes zero sense to me in terms of efficiency if you want to Stagger the enemy and if you have a COM or SAB in your party to decelerate the Break Gauge's decreasing percentage... the RAV's there to chain the gauge, not decelerate him/herself. That just doesn't take into account party synergy at all, but rather it takes an individualistic approach to battle. The animations for the character to cast, then hit, then cast, then hit will take a longer time than necessary. It baffles me why the AI does that. Completely baffles me.

Yup, just like I pointed out earlier in the thread and somewhere in the OT/probably the LP thread--haste-at-will would completely break the game... if you didn't break it already with monsters. Haste during PE Strikes was enough... and PE Strikes were very easy to get in this game unless a enemy was running after you/blocking your way.

Exactly! It makes no sense why they made the game so easy and then gave it an Easy Mode but no Hard Mode! dsjigoitua;jadfjlkjfsiyuotijwnvknvlkgnoiaj D:

Toth

Sigh...as much as FF13-2 sold like 'shit', the game was still the highest selling PS3 game in Japan last year (yes it did not sell as well as other FFs but look at the Japan game market now and see that aside from MH and Pokemon and DQ, very few series are doing well). They also made a profit this year thanks to the game and Dues ex, despite the continued reworking of 14.

Why wouldn't they make a sequel when it would not cost as much and will still sell around 2 million worldwide? Simple economics.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sigh...as much as FF13-2 sold like 'shit', the game was still the highest selling PS3 game in Japan last year (yes it did not sell as well as other FFs but look at the Japan game market now and see that aside from MH and Pokemon and DQ, very few series are doing well). They also made a profit this year thanks to the game and Dues ex, despite the continued reworking of 14.

Why wouldn't they make a sequel when it would not cost as much and will still sell around 2 million worldwide? Simple economics.

But will a sequel to a sequel sell the same as said sequel in this case? I have a hard time believing it would.

Toth

But will a sequel to a sequel sell the same as said sequel in this case? I have a hard time believing it would.

Depending of the quality of the title (very key), a critically acclaimed FF13-3 can sell well and perhaps retrospectively improve sales of the previous two games. They have been setting up for an epic finale but boy, I would feel a lot better if an additional writer was brought on to help tighten the story.

Shahed

Probably not. But then you'd think most people turned off by XIII wouldn't have gotten XIII-2, as shown by sales numbers. But people who have shown themselves willing to buy the sequel are more likely to buy another sequel.

I know that it doesn't apply to everyone, but of the people I know that played XIII, those who didn't like it, didn't play XIII-2. Those who played XIII-2, said they'd get XIII-3 if it came out

I think one of the biggest problems they face is the perception of 'FF sequels and spin-offs.' Typically when you make a sequel to something, the expectation is that it does equal to or better than the original... but for some reason it's become the opposite with Final Fantasy games.
I think that problem here is that Final Fantasy fans are group that are divided amongst themselves. Some people will say VII is the the best others will say VI or X. Since Final Fantasy reinvents itself upon each mainline entry, there's always divided opinion.

Say for example Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. Chances are if you like one, you'll like the rest. It's the same game with tweaks so the entire fan base is interested in the same kind of stuff. That's not true with Final Fantasy. Normally you get passionate fans of a series. In this case you can passionate fans of specific game within that same series

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Depending of the quality of the title (very key), a critically acclaimed FF13-3 can sell well and perhaps retrospectively improve sales of the previous two games. They have been setting up for an epic finale but boy, I would feel a lot better if an additional writer was brought on to help tighten the story.

I think one of the biggest problems they face is the perception of 'FF sequels and spin-offs.' Typically when you make a sequel to something, the expectation is that it does equal to or better than the original... but for some reason it's become the opposite with Final Fantasy games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You dislike Fang? What? :/
I don't dislike Fang either. I think she's rather one-dimensional, yet was a good foil for Lightning, but I don't dislike her.

I meant in general for other people given that the joke referred to people disliking Vanille.

I didn't even finish XIII-2 yet (Day 1'd it too), and I'm suppose to jump on the fence for a new XIII game? Get the fuck outta here!

JUST MAKE A NEW SERIES ALREADY!

Shahed

I don't dislike Fang either. I think she's rather one-dimensional, yet was a good foil for Lightning, but I don't dislike her.

I meant in general for other people given that the joke referred to people disliking Vanille.

Problem with Vanille was the stupid noises she'd make, especially in battle. I didn't mind her when she was narrating for the majority of the series. It's just in normal cutscenes her accent just seemed off.

Fang was cool. Nothing amazing, but she worked fine

I can't believe we've gone an entire generation without a memorable Final Fantasy game. Feels weird.

In Type-0 I believe!

Time allocated to FFXV or whatever might end up being more profitable since I am fairly certain people would be more excited about that. They can still use the same engine...I am sure it would take longer than XIII-3 but certainly shouldn't be as long as a hypothetical XV.

faridmon

Final_Fantasy_XII_-_Revenant_Wings_Coverart.png

SO bad :(

It was awesome and I loved it!

Anyway, I wish they could release FF XIII-2 Goty edition (complete edition) because I don't want to buy those DLC sperataly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Problem with Vanille was the stupid noises she'd make, especially in battle. I didn't mind her when she was narrating for the majority of the series. It's just in normal cutscenes her accent just seemed off.

Fang was cool. Nothing amazing, but she worked fine
Vanille's voice direction seemed to have been the culprit because outside of Vanille, her voice actress seems like she does a fine job. After playing both versions of FFXIII, I get the feeling the voice director just really wanted her to emulate Yukari Fukui's take on Vanille as opposed to making the character her own. It's really too bad.

Haha, I had to turn my TV down when I tried her summon out to see what it looked like. Yiiiikes. I usually put her in my party too cuz debuffing is your friend, so... yeah...

UberTag

No surprises here.

Still on track with my stated plan from this January to purchase and play FFXIII-2 only once FFXIII-3 is finally released in Japan... provided, of course, that it ends conclusively.

Perhaps we'll get another "To Be Continued" to set up FFXIII-4. In which case, I'll continue to wait. I'm expecting this title to be the video game equivalent of The Matrix Revolutions. That's NOT a good thing.

I also expect this game will arrive in North America before Versus XIII, FFX HD and FF Type-0.

Just consider this like one giant SE .hack title. Except they didn't tell you in advance it was a .hack game with multiple installments and pretended each title was a self-contained entry.

Beth Cyra

that "no memorable Final Fantasy game in this gen" isn't a new thing unless you skipped PS2 gen.
If you didn't it just feels as usual, no hope for the next one as well.

While it isn't impossible to not have either X or XII leave a postive lasting impression, at this point it's kinda dumb to act like that isn't a very small minority given how well X performed and how fondly people look back on it.

7Th

Why couldn't they just keep the original
lesbian love saves the day
ending and be done with it?

UberTag

Why couldn't they just keep the original
lesbian love saves the day
ending and be done with it?
I liked that ending. Main reason I didn't play FFXIII-2 to have it effectively undermined and swapped out for a commercial to buy over $60 worth of DLC and FFXIII-3. If they redeem themselves with XIII-3, perhaps I'll buy and enjoy both for extending what FFXIII brought to the table.

Kyoufu

that "no memorable Final Fantasy game in this gen" isn't a new thing unless you skipped PS2 gen.
If you didn't it just feels as usual, no hope for the next one as well.

Doesn't apply to me.

Played X countless times.

Played XI for years and years.

Played XII countless times.

PS2 is my golden generation for not just FF but JRPGs in general.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, if they insist on another FFXIII... they should just make a "Final Fantasy XIII if". Basically, do the first game again, but do it right. Because unless they go into a new game in the series with the mindset of "yeah, we really, really screwed up... again..." then I'm not interested.

And hire a writer for once!

Finalow

While it isn't impossible to not have either X or XII leave a postive lasting impression, at this point it's kinda dumb to act like that isn't a very small minority given how well X performed and how fondly people look back on it.
decent FF games? Yes, memorable like IX or VI? Nope.

Shahed

Vanille's voice direction seemed to have been the culprit because outside of Vanille, her voice actress seems like she does a fine job. After playing both versions of FFXIII, I get the feeling the voice director just really wanted her to emulate Yukari Fukui's take on Vanille as opposed to making the character her own. It's really too bad.

Haha, I had to turn my TV down when I tried her summon out to see what it looked like. Yiiiikes. I usually put her in my party too cuz debuffing is your friend, so... yeah...
That's hilarious. The face she makes when she makes those noises...

ZenaxPure

Auto-battle rant

I could read about how much you hated auto-battle all day, it's so, factually, true. Which is what makes it brilliant.

I really wish they would just remove it in a sequel, there is no reason the repeat command shouldn't be there instead.

Anyhow, personally this isn't really surprising in the least given the ending and that the game turned a profit. I can't get enough of the FF13 combat in my system so if this is the only way for them to do it I say bring it on. I really wish we could get an entirely new game with the same battle mechanics, but unfortunately it's to late into the gen to do that.

I guess I just hope this time around they do add a hard difficulty, even if they made the default difficulty more on par with what was in the original FF13 I've spent hundreds of hours between the games now that I just know all the ins and outs of the combat, the only real way to make it harder without changing core mechanics would be stat boosts to the enemies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I could read about how much you hated auto-battle all day, it's so, factually, true. Which is what makes it brilliant.

I really wish they would just remove it in a sequel, there is no reason the repeat command shouldn't be there instead.

Anyhow, personally this isn't really surprising in the least given the ending and that the game turned a profit. I can't get enough of the FF13 combat in my system so if this is the only way for them to do it I say bring it on. I really wish we could get an entirely new game with the same battle mechanics, but unfortunately it's to late into the gen to do that.

I guess I just hope this time around they do add a hard difficulty, even if they made the default difficulty more on par with what was in the original FF13 I've spent hundreds of hours between the games now that I just know all the ins and outs of the combat, the only real way to make it harder without changing core mechanics would be stat boosts to the enemies.

What if they go the 3DS/Vita route?

Finalow

Not everyone thinks highly of IX or VI.

Besdies it doesn't matter if they are or not, X certainly would certainly be on their memorable list higher then both IX and VI to alot of people.
if you mean "memorable" as nostaglia then any game that I played when I was 10 y old can be memorable. if you mean memorable as a great game then a lot of people are wrong.

ZenaxPure

What if they go the 3DS/Vita route?

That would work for me, personally. Like I've said in the past, loved like 90% of SE's handheld output last gen so I'm not really opposed to any 3DS or Vita game they would want to do. A game with Yoshida art, the mechanics of FF13/13-2, and a story from... almost anyone else would pretty much be a dream game for myself.

Problem is I don't really see Square doing anything like that since they seem more open to experimentation (in regards to battle mechanics) on handhelds.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nobody ever gives Horii any credit for CT. I guess it's because he's that icky Dragon Quest guy. Clearly CT was good despite that archaic guy's contributions.
The real problem with Chrono Trigger fandom is that they give Masato Kato too much credit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That would work for me, personally. Like I've said in the past, loved like 90% of SE's handheld output last gen so I'm not really opposed to any 3DS or Vita game they would want to do. A game with Yoshida art, the mechanics of FF13/13-2, and a story from... almost anyone else would pretty much be a dream game for myself.

Problem is I don't really see Square doing anything like that since they seem more open to experimentation (in regards to battle mechanics) on handhelds.

More importantly... what if XIII-3 was on handhelds? Wouldn't be the first time a canon entry was put on a different platform.

Top Bottom