• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the article garage click bait.

Edit. Did you catch we got the power brick specs. It a 75w brick.

If they follow the wii it would be about 35-40w. At 66% which is about Max it would be 50watts power usage.

I did. We've in the last month or so talked about a GPU that may resemble what Wii U's might be like.

The E6760.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/E6460GPU_Product_Brief.pdf

The whole MCM is 35W.

Terrell

You guys are really optimistic.

I have one question: If Wii U is powerful enough to get all these "nerfed" ports from PS4/720 games... why the fuck is NSMB U running in 720p? If the Wii U can't even run that simple ass game in 1080p, I'm afraid to think of how the next gen games will run on the thing.

It was VIEWED at 720p at E3, just like EVERY game was. And since we know some games are 1080p as confirmed by developers...... yeah.....

The only person who ever "confirmed" NSMBU is running at 720p is the same person who "confirmed" it didn't have anti-aliasing, which was proven false.

4610.jpg

Apparently it is getting those games... but they weren't announced at E3.

Gotta set aside 20 minutes to demo the year old game!

You were expecting a BlOps 2 demo after the amount of money MS paid for E3 conference exclusivity for the franchise? How quaint.

JordanN

Banned
It kind of sounds like they are trying to say it supports OpenGL ES 2.0. GLES 2.0, IIRC , supports features from OpenGL 4.1 and up, at the same time, GLES 2.0 is what the PS3 uses. So GLES is like DX9 with DX11 features?
Playstation 3 supports a modified Opengl ES 1.0. Opengl ES 2 wasn't ready back then.

USC-fan

Banned
I did. We've in the last month or so talked about a GPU that may resemble what Wii U's might be like.

The E6760.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/E6460GPU_Product_Brief.pdf

The whole MCM is 35W.

That's a big jump from r700.

I haven't seen anything to support that. Is the reason you are saying this because this is best case?

I agree this would be the best gpu that could fit in the tdp. But highly unlikely based off everything we know,

That's a big jump from r700.

I haven't seen anything to support that. Is the reason you are saying this because this is best case?

I agree this would be the best gpu that could fit in the tdp. But highly unlikely based off everything we know,

With everything I've heard it's very likely it could resemble it in some form. For example the GPU wasn't finished till late Dec./early Jan.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I agree the article garage click bait.

Edit. Did you catch we got the power brick specs. It a 75w brick.

If they follow the wii it would be about 35-40w. At 66% which is about Max it would be 50watts power usage.

Why are you assuming the Wii U would follow the same ratio of power usage:capacity as the Wii? For all we know the original Wii's power supply was a bit of overkill. Why? Speculating here, but perhaps it was just as economical to use a 44 watt supply as a 30 watt unit. *shrugs* Plus, the Gamecube had a 39 watt supply yet used 23 watts (59%), a more narrow ratio. Meanwhile the Xbox 360 used a 203 watt supply yet used ~160 watts (79%).

Interesting sleuthing on the power brick. Some great work as usual by our ninjas.

Can anyone tell me what some of the other components of the system would add to the tdp? I'm talking about optical drive, flash memory, wifi module, etc...

USC-fan

Banned
Why are you assuming the Wii U would follow the same ratio of power usage:capacity as the Wii? For all we know the original Wii's power supply was a bit of overkill. Why? Speculating here, but perhaps it was just as economical to use a 44 watt supply as a 30 watt unit. *shrugs* Plus, the Gamecube had a 39 watt supply yet used 23 watts (59%), a more narrow ratio. Meanwhile the Xbox 360 used a 203 watt supply yet used ~160 watts (79%).

I didn't say it did. The xbox360 s uses 66%. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.

With everything I've heard it's very likely it could resemble it in some form. For example the GPU wasn't finished till late Dec./early Jan.
I dunno. Doesn't seem likely.

StevieP

Banned
I didn't say it did. The xbox360 s uses 66%. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.

That depends on the type of technology in the power supply. If they're using the cheapest tech possible, I wouldn't want it loaded at 80% utilization. But <80 would be fine. A 40-55w console is completely plausible with even the cheapest-made 75w power brick.

Earendil

Power 476fp's also eat about 1.6w per core

I was wondering what the power draw for the 476 was. Thank you.

Are we still thinking 3 476 cores for the CPU? Because iirc someone had mentioned 6 cores divided into 3 logical cores since to have 6 threads since the 476 doesn't have SMT.

But I could be smoking something...

^ Wsippel proposed that. And your username sounds familiar.

Power 476fp's also eat about 1.6w per core

Right. I've expected for awhile that the GPU will have the bulk of the TDP. Nintendo is probably setting too hard of a TDP line that they don't want to cross.

Interesting sleuthing on the power brick. Some great work as usual by our ninjas.

Can anyone tell me what some of the other components of the system would add to the tdp? I'm talking about optical drive, flash memory, wifi module, etc...

Everything you named includi

I dunno. Doesn't seem likely.

Oh, I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just telling you why it's likely. The person that told me that even said the GPU looked "more 2012". Can't say that about a run of the mill R700. You're giving too much weight to those early target specs that only listed base R700 features. Even ERP on B3D said it's flawed to do that.

StevieP

Banned

Slot load BD rom: 5w (1A at 5v)
Flash memory: 0.25w
Wifi modules: approx 2w per chip
2GB DDR3: approx 5-10w, depending on configuration

Instro

75w huh. I'd been thinking for some time that it would be like 80-90, so it ends up being fairly close.

Would the supposed minor bump to CPU power cause any major changes to power consumption?

USC-fan

Banned
75w huh. I'd been thinking for some time that it would be like 80-90, so it ends up being fairly close.

Would the supposed minor bump to CPU power cause any major changes to power consumption?

You understand that doesn't equal power usage? Likely around 50watts. Gpu could be taking 75% of that. Doesn't leave much for cpu,.

And no unless they overclocked it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
IGN says the D-pad, shoulder and face buttons are bigger on the XL. They asked Nintendo and they confirmed it.

Not change to the screen material either, if the 3D is nicer and easier to look at, it's purely because of the size of the screen.

IGN says the D-pad, shoulder and face buttons are bigger on the XL. They asked Nintendo and they confirmed it.

Not change to the screen material either, if the 3D is nicer and easier to look at, it's purely because of the size of the screen.

Somebody take a wrong turn at Albuquerque?

Ryoku

BAM! Outta nowhere! :D

Ryoku

Slot load BD rom: 5w (1A at 5v)
Flash memory: 0.25w
Wifi modules: approx 2w per chip
2GB DDR3: approx 5-10w, depending on configuration

Surely you mean GDDR3, at least. I'm not going to completely throw GDDR5 out, but it will definitely be GDDR3, at the very least.

AlStrong

Surely you mean GDDR3, at least. I'm not going to completely throw GDDR5 out, but it will definitely be GDDR3, at the very least.

Why? GDDR3 consumes more power and has lower density than DDR3. DDR3 is naturally going to be the cheapest option.

JordanN

Banned
That is more of a cost issue.

I would say its off the table.
I disagree, Nintendo loves fast ram.

3DS uses FCRAM and the Wii had the same RAM as Xbox 360 (GDDR3). I think it's likely (if not guaranteed) GDDR5 will be in Wii U. Unless the edram makes up the difference...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
FYI, I put this comparison of the Wii U and Xbox 360 foot-prints in the Totilo thread. I think people are exagerating how small the Wii U is based on its similar look to the original Wii.
But its actually not as small as it appears. I think what's important is the foot-print of the console, not overall volume. Unless the design has the components staked like with Gamecube or a mac-mini, the surface area gives you an idea of how big the motherboard and heat sink will be.

Here is are cut outs of the official Wii U dimensions side by side with the foot-print of an xbox 360 slim:

FVdEp.jpg

Here is the Wii U overlapping Microsoft's console:

Wik98.jpg

As you can see the Wii U is not so tiny when compared to the Xbox 360.

I'm not sure I get why the flat footprint more important than the volume for hardware design?
Then what does the attach rate of 8.5 tell you?
I don't think calculating an attach rate from shipment numbers really "works" well - under the same calculation the PS3 has a higher attach rate than the 360's NPD-based rate; further the number is presumably inflated by the bundling of Wii Sports outside of Japan.

That's not to say that software wasn't sold in large quantities for the Wii though.
I agree, and I think people are overestimating how many current PS3/360 owners are interested in investing in a new console. Every year we are seeing improvements visually in games on these older systems. But Wii owners have a reason to upgrade to HD.
It will be interest to see how much of the Wii's success it owes to the "expanded audience." I would wager a lot. They didn't really care about HD then, I suppose they may do so more now with the penetration of HDTVs growing. But there's doubt in my mind that they'll (A) be interested in a new console at all and (B) be interested in the USPs the Wii U concept entails.

I would say the Kinect essentially captured the expanded audience market upgrading to HD for a brief while. Things like the rise and fall of plastic music games in the recent past and Draw Something in the now for example, present an impression of fickleness.

Penguin

I'm not sure I get why the flat footprint more important than the volume for hardware design?
I don't think calculating an attach rate from shipment numbers really "works" well - under the same calculation the PS3 has a higher attach rate than the 360's NPD-based rate; further the number is presumably inflated by the bundling of Wii Sports outside of Japan.

1) I thought the attach rate was from NPD?
2) I always assumed Wii Sports didn't count in the attach rate since its bundled software/wasn't tracked outside of console sales.

donny2112

1) I thought the attach rate was from NPD?
2) I always assumed Wii Sports didn't count in the attach rate since its bundled software/wasn't tracked outside of console sales.

1) The attach rate in Microsoft reports is the U.S.-only number from NPD, yes.
2) NPD tie ratio for Wii would not include the bundled games. Tie ratio worked out from Nintendo's shipped figures would include the bundled games. (As a further confusion, projected software sales do not include bundled software, but actual shipped software sales do. Fun.)

JordanN

Banned
Shin'en dropping the bomb.

Official Nintendo Magazine said:
Linzner, who worked on the WiiWare game Jett Rocket, told Official Nintendo Magazine that Wii U is a great console for developers.

"The Wii U hardware has a great architecture and, most importantly, it is easy for developers to utilise its power," said Linzner.

"For instance, we have a very action-heavy game with literally thousands of animated objects, but had no problems rendering the complete gameworld, twice, for the Wii U controller display in two-player mode."

However, in addition to creating new titles, Linzner believes that Nintendo could also have results if the company was to re-release Wii games for Wii U.

"You could easily take many original Wii titles from Retro Studios or Nintendo and release them again in HD and they would look and play better than many current titles. I believe that the most important resource in game development is the developers, rather than the actual hardware."
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...better-on-wii-u-than-many-current-titles-dev/

As an owner of Nano Assault for 3DS, I can verify Shin'en know their stuff about pushing hardware.

disap.ed

"You could easily take many original Wii titles from Retro Studios or Nintendo and release them again in HD and they would look and play better than many current titles. I believe that the most important resource in game development is the developers, rather than the actual hardware."

Dolphin thread agrees.

Gahiggidy

I was just watching this new high-quality off-screen footage of Pikmin 3 and noticed that they are handling the throwing animation kinda funky. Instead of each guy running up behind the leader in turn to get thrown, the next one just magically teleports into his hands. It looks kinda bad when they are 6+ inches away and just pop in and out of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSutmYfo0C0&list=UUd8MrjFTH-j1k57abP_ktXg&index=1&feature=plcp

IN the old games you had to wait a few tenths-of-a-second for the next pikmin to run up behind before you could throw him (thus the invention of the "c-stick" trick to throw faster). I can understand wanting to make it immediate, but I think it kills the charm of seeing the little creatures run over to Olimar to take their turn to be tossed.

----

edit. I think I spotted a glitch. At 1:42 a pikmin inexplicably runs in the opposite direction of the group then 8 seconds later runs back into the scene to join up with the group. It was kinda funny, as I was thinking "where is that guy headed to?" The Pikmin AI have never wandered on their own unless they were carrying loot or chasing a bug that popped up out of the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSut...tailpage&list=UUd8MrjFTH-j1k57abP_ktXg#t=100s

Gahiggidy

I'm still waiting for a junior to show up with the username "Wara Wara".

neo2046

https://twitter.com/makonakocom/

a guy who attended the Nintendo Share Holder Meeting shares lots of information
sorry that I have no time to translate all the information
but I think the most useful information is this one:

"Nintendo plans to reveal the launch day and price at September,
and not just the launch titles, also the titles for 2013 will be revealed at that time"

&#20219;&#22825;&#22530;&#12398;&#26666;&#20027;&#32207;&#20250;&#12290;WiiU&#12398;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12394;&#12393;&#12398;&#30330;&#34920;&#12399;&#12289;9&#26376;&#12398;&#30330;&#22770;&#26085;&#12420;&#20385;&#26684;&#30330;&#34920;&#12394;&#12393;&#12392;&#20849;&#12395;&#34892;&#12358;&#12392;&#12398;&#12371;&#12392;&#12290;&#12381;&#12371;&#12391;&#12399;&#12289;&#12525;&#12540;&#12531;&#12481;&#12479;&#12452;&#12488;&#12523;&#12384;&#12369;&#12391;&#12394;&#12367;&#12289;&#26469;&#24180;&#20197;&#38477;&#12398;&#12418;&#12398;&#12418;&#30330;&#34920;&#12377;&#12427;&#12424;&#12358;&#12394;&#30330;&#35328;&#12418;&#12354;&#12426;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12418;&#21547;&#12417;&#12390;9&#26376;&#24453;&#12385;&#12391;&#12377;&#12397;&#12290;
https://twitter.com/makonakocom/status/218199657858334722

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom