• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Tsuritama final

31GN6.jpg

A excellent final episode for a excellent show. This is definitely the show of Spring season beating out Sakamachi no Apollon barely. The first 2 episodes started out slow and uninteresting which makes me nearly drop it but episode 3 stop me from dropping when it finally pick up and went full steam ahead of awesome awesome fishing, friendship, bromance and the tale of a epic fishing adventure of a lifetime. I'm so glad I didn't drop this show.

And some triva I found at AS. One of these make sense such as Natsuki and Erika are relatives which is why they lump Natsuki, Erika and Sakura together in the OP.

- Ayumi is 33 years old. Misaki 26. Keito 67.
- Natsuki and Erika are relatives.
- Akira's superior's codename is George Ace. Real name unknown.
- Q: What is inside Akira's turban? There was a handgun the last time. A: Love, courage, ham and a spoon.
- Yuki is fluent in French and English.
- Akira and Tapioca first met when they were assigned as partners by DUCK.
- The fish tank in Yuki's room belonged to the previous owner.
- Natsuki got into fishing at the age of 3.
- Tapioca and Boss's (the cat) relationship is more of them thinking that the other looks tasty. (Not so sure if I got this right)
- Akira is single.
- Sakura is in 4th year.
- The next ep previews are done by Sugita (Akira's VA) running with whatever gags the series composer makes.
- There is a pool full of ducks on the rooftop of DUCK HQ. Members of a certain rank are allowed to choose their own duck as a partner.
- Haru's clothes are all Yuki's.
- DUCK HQ is in Dubai.
- When asked about the DUCK license and how Sakura's drawn duck worked, they replied that the matter has become a problem within DUCK. ^^;
- Natsuki's eyesight problem is probably hereditary.
- The flowers Keito asks Haru to think of as her are Gerberas/African daisies.
- Natsuki is the most popular character amongst the staff. Akira has popularity amongst the professionals. (Not so sure what pros (玄人) they're talking about)
- Tapioca is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita (Akira) and Boss by Nozomi Yamamoto (Erika).
- Children of around 5 years old and animals are able to see Haru's triangle halo.
- The 35 on the back of one of Natsuki's shirts was a play on the Japanese word for "coral" (Sango).
- Ayumi's voice actor was recommended by the music director.
- All three of them pinned down Natsuki and had a go at cutting his hair.
- Coco is an E cup. Her three sizes from the top are 89.60.91.
- Another idea they had before "ENO. SHIMA. DO~N!" was "SHIRA. SU. DO~N!" (Whitebait bowl).
- Natsuki isn't fond of smartphones and the like.
- The Enoshima Dance steps might be revealed in the DVD/BD or in some way. The staff are considering it.
- Erika's three sizes: 90.58.87. Misaki: 95.62.90.
- Yuki is a natural red head.
- They refuse to tell Sakura's three sizes.
- Haru's different necktie from the others is for fashion.
- Aliens arrested by DUCK are strongly persuaded to go back to their planet. There are some cases of those who settle down on Earth though.
- Coco's glasses are prescription glasses.
- BD/DVD vol.2 will have a drama CD.
- Q: Did the director & staff have any confidence that Tsuritama would be popular? A: "Pretty much NOTHING ☆".
- Prior to Enoshima, Akira was stationed in the US at Missoula, Montana.
- Akira's superior is from London.
- The bunny ears on the DUCK yellow suits are for communication. Very hi-tech.
- The daily wage for working on Ayumi's boat is 5500yen.
- DUCK members are worldwide. The turban and sunglasses are a dress code.
- Some staff members have taken an interest in fishing ever since production started.
- Q: Tell me Akira's three sizes! A: We'll have to go to Enoshima to measure him after this.
- Haru, Yuki and Natsuki use the bathtub. Natsuki runs a lot so he bathes a few times a day. He occasionally uses the shower. Akira showers.
- The producer thinks that it's unusual for staff to love a project as much as they do. Even he is proud to be involved in it.
- Akira's been measured: 95.81.98.

And wow @ Sugita making those duck noises. He is truely one of the most talented Seiyuu ever.

Sankarea 12
tumblr_m6cfshwYdC1r4n82eo3_400.gif

So glad thats over. 12 was on the boring side. Really they should have ended the anime at episode 11 as there it had a much better and solid conclusion. Sure this one gave us the
bite scene
but that could have been tossed at the ending of ep 11.

All in all it really only felt like episode 1-3 were decent, then the episode on Chihiro and Wanko's background, then the one on the climax moment were worth it, while the rest were dull and wastes of time. Dont really know why I picked up this anime beyond just Chihiro but I felt I could have spent my time better as Rea was actually pretty terrible of a character. 4 / 10.

Makoto

Natsuiro Kiseki 12 (FINAL)
iA2tAuy9gcyr0.png

You are not telling me that after snagging the Lawson, Toyota/Hertz and McDonald’s sponsorships, you could not land Mountain Dew? Disappointment.

I’m pleased that the last episode was one of the better ones. Sunrise did
Endless Eight
better than KyoAni. Fascinating.
I think the girls’ acceptance that summer was at an end was competently written.

As for Natsuiro Kiseki, I went in expecting moe. Now that I’ve watched it to completion, I actually don’t find these characters moe at all (in the sense that I'm instead, able to take these characters seriously). The writing in this show is suitable, probably more than it deserves to be when it comes to anime about four teenage girls. I rarely empathize with shows that try to capitalize on the nostalgia of summer but Natsuiro Kiseki got some feels out of me. It’s a show about experiencing the crazy happenings of a season with friends. Unlike Ano Natsu’s
love triangles and amateur filmmaking
, I was able to relate to Natsuiro Kiseki to an extent. The highlight episodes of the show included
the bodysticking, the bodyswap, the time travel and this final episode.

The biggest blunder of Natsuiro Kesiki is the animation. The quality of it was relatively solid initially, got awful in the middle and then it began begging to get back in the ring as the show concluded and tried its best to regain its former glory.

A so-so series marred by inconsistent animation that I thought I would regret watching by the end of it but actually left me mildly surprised in some episodes given the tame premise. It’s nothing truly extraordinary and you wouldn’t find me recommending it to anyone but Natsuiro Kiseki was a nice little show to watch while it was airing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Black★Rock Shooter - Guilty Crown -/ -/ -/ 1.8/ 2.3/ 2.1/ 1.7/ 1.4/ 2.0/ 2.4/ 1.5/ -/ 1.90
Kids on the Slope - Tsuritama 2.6/ 2.3/ 2.3/ 2.1/ 1.7/ 1.5/ 2.1/ 0.9/ 1.7/ 1.5/ 1.6/ 2.5/ 1.90

I can't even muster the strength to post a reaction gif here. Fuck this.

The best part of the Haruhi movie is watching
Yuki suffering and getting what she deserved.

Dear God.

Definitely looking forward to that happening hopefully, such a heavy burden to the team and all the frustration she causes Kota is so mean.

I think you've got your feelings inside out.

Soma

Bakemonogatari 13

I don't know if I said this before but I wouldn't mind a spin-off series chronicling the life of Oshino and how he became such an expert.

Haha, a spin-off of wacky hi-jinks alongside Kaiki and the other chick would be glorious.

5Traw.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Comedy anime are always hit-and-miss so I imagine it's going to be as divisive as every comedy series that's come before and yet to come.

Also, before we forget:

Every poster with over 100 posts in Spring |OT3|! A convenient list of names for AlphaGAF to add to its ignore list. Congrats to cajunator, who still managed to defeat Jexhius from beyond the grave thanks to cosmic's sudden Summer |OT| sucker punch.
So weird not seeing myself in there. This place had become my GAF home. :(

jbug617

Banned
Acchi Kocchi 12

Nothing too crazy happened to finish the show. I expected more comedy out of it but they went the sweet and cute route.

/XX/

I was surprised to find out, after doing some research, that the original creators of the old french comic this is based on were still alive. Having the cartoon adapation be co-produced by satelight seems like the sort of decision that'd only get accepted when the original creators were dead.
The truth is that I can't think of any other Japanese animation studio with a more deeply established "french connection" than SATELIGHT Inc., apart from the subsidiary of the Ankama Group; Ankama Japan. Not only they have people like Thomas Romain working with them in Japan, they also operate a proper french team aiding in many of the latest productions from Mr. Kawamori. After having checked some old Newtype magazines I've seen their name transcribed as Satelight's France Design Team or also simply named as the "France Team" (サテライト フランスチーム), but there probably aren't many other references to them.

Jex

Bakemonogatari 13

I don't know if I said this before but I wouldn't mind a spin-off series chronicling the life of Oshino and how he became such an expert.

I get the feeling that we're actually going to see that covered at some point.

Jex

Seeing the list of people who've posted across all three Spring Anime OT's makes me feel like I should pay tribute to those people who've managed to escape the madness (mostly):

InfiniteNine
icarus-daedelus
doomed1
Infinite Justice
tiff
Izayoi
Nonoriri
JKTrix
Salazar
Enron
mAcOdIn
7th
Miri
JKTrix

God speed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The truth is that I can't think of any other Japanese animation studio with a more deeply established "french connection" than SATELIGHT Inc., apart from the subsidiary of the Ankama Group; Ankama Japan. Not only they have people like Thomas Romain working with them in Japan, they also operate a proper french team aiding in many of the latest productions from Mr. Kawamori. After having checked some old Newtype magazines I've seen their name transcribed as Satelight's France Design Team or also simply named as the "France Team" (サテライト フランスチーム), but there probably aren't many other references to them.

Sadly, it doesn't speak well of this collaboration when its crowning achievement has thus far been Basquash!.

Hopefully Toei will have have the honor of being the first Japanese studio to co-produce a notable anime with a French studio when they collaborate with Zagtoon in their co-production of Francecatch Precure Ladybug, whenever that begins airing.

Jex

Reflecting on Kids on the Slope[...]Their struggles didn't feel fully earned. Even the high point of the show, episode 7, only came about because of some idiotic behavior in episode 6.
I don't really have much of a problem with Karou's behaviour in episode 6. It doesn't seem like he's ever managed to find a companion who he feels as strongly about as Sentaro so I actually buy his jealousy and childishness. We've all had moments where we've acted out of character before so I think it was fine.

Now, the finale I have some problems with. On reflection:
How we even arrived at the set up for the final episode is hugely contrived.

At the start of the penultimate episode Sen is about to run away from home because he fears being ostracised upon his father's return but in reality it turns out that his father is a changed man and Sen is accepted in his home. Then the accident happens, and suddenly he decides to leave even though, miraculously, no one has been badly hurt. This...doesn't make much sense. I can buy him leaving because of his father, but not because of this random accident that left no permanent damage. It just feels weird that he'd abandon everything, including his siblings who I assumed he'd want to support emotionally and financially.

When we see him again in the finale he has become a priest, which is fine I suppose. But then when he hears the organ being played he says 'I thought this day would some day'. Did you? Did you really think that, in the whole of Japan someone who previously knew you might happen to see a photograph of you at some random wedding and that that person would miraculously bump into Karou and show it to him so that they'd be reunited? Because that seems incredibly unlikely.

Of course, the whole finale is problematic because it's very distant. It's been eight years since we last saw all these characters so they've probably changed substantially since then and have had lots of experiences, which we aren't privy to. We have no idea about who they anymore but we're still supposed to feel emotionally invested in what happens to them because, you know, we met them years ago. That doesn't really work.

Acchi Kocchi 12

And it ends on a SURPRISE

cute note.

Detailed show review:

iuEBizhXkZaFQ.gif

iosfHPLMOsF7Z.gif

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

I'd criticize the seemingly lack of plot or real character depth or lack of....

10/10 motherfucker.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Acchi Kocchi 12

And it ends on a SURPRISE

cute note.

Detailed show review:

iuEBizhXkZaFQ.gif

iosfHPLMOsF7Z.gif

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

I'd criticize the seemingly lack of plot or real character depth or lack of....

10/10 motherfucker.

Perfect! I look forward to watching this when home! XD

/XX/

Haha, a spin-off of wacky hi-jinks alongside Kaiki and the other chick would be glorious.
At least Kaiki has its Koimonogatari...

Seeing the list of people who've posted across all three Spring Anime OT's makes me feel like I should pay tribute to those people who've managed to escape the madness (mostly):

InfiniteNine
icarus-daedelus
doomed1
Infinite Justice
tiff
Izayoi
Nonoriri
JKTrix
Salazar
Enron
mAcOdIn
7th
Miri
JKTrix

God speed.
What exactly is the cut-off mark for going into madness?

Hopefully Toei will have have the honor of being the first Japanese studio to co-produce a notable anime with a French studio when they collaborate with Zagtoon in their co-production of Francecatch Precure Ladybug, whenever that begins airing.
Hey! And Ulysses 31?

Theonik

Time Jam 1-12
Wow, I have no words. Nothing could have prepared me for this. From what I could only describe as one of the most charming, seemingly competent English dub on an anime I've seen to a plot that becomes more and more bonkers to a very fun main cast. A very pleasant bizarre surprise.

after I had good experiences with my new directive that I will only watch one high school anime. And it looks like this season is not that bad. I have 5/6 shows on my watchlist.

And I started with my back/rewatchlog last week. Steins;Gate (rewatch - one of my all-time favs), Gunslinger Girl S1 (backlog - pretty good, although the end was kitschy) were awesone. Cat's Eye (rewatch), Canaan (backlog) and Katanagatari (rewatch - a 10/10 candidate) are the shows I'm watching at the moment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Golden Laws

VSD8h.gif

Through the power of El Cantare and Time Travel our heroes find out what it means to be awesome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
after I had good experiences with my new directive that I will only watch one high school anime. And it looks like this season is not that bad. I have 5/6 shows on my watchlist.

And I started with my back/rewatchlog last week. Steins;Gate (rewatch - one of my all-time favs), Gunslinger Girl S1 (backlog - pretty good, although the end was kitschy) were awesone. Cat's Eye (rewatch), Canaan (backlog) and Katanagatari (rewatch - a 10/10 candidate) are the shows I'm watching at the moment.

I agree, White Fox is definitely one of the better studios around. Gonna watch some Jormungand after I'm all caught up on my Yayoi adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom