• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Honestly, my biggest problem is that we had whole pages of people insulting each other countries and that wasn't considered offensive, while a meaningless word is.

Fry

So, is the use of the c word banned, or not? I'm getting mixed signals here.

Last time this happened, Kabouter said something like the use of it was 'frowned upon', but they weren't going to interfer, especially because it's often said in the football thread (and communities as a whole).

Kyoufu

I don't know a single female who is offended by "cunt" any more than <insert word here>.

Not that I care much, personally. Just find this odd.

fuenf

In other news, let's have a look at the current Prediction League standings:

ilNSoVDS1b7Zo.png

The battle for first place will be decided by tomorrows final. Tence is currently in the lead but with the Bonus-Questions in mind first place is Willkiller's to lose. The Top 25 is closed out by our fallen comrade Wilbury.

In other news, let's have a look at the current Prediction League standings:

ilNSoVDS1b7Zo.png

The battle for first place will be decided by tomorrows final. Tence is currently in the lead but with the Bonus-Questions in mind first place is Willkiller's to lose. The Top 25 is closed out by our fallen comrade Wilbury.

Really? How? Oh man. What would I win If anything?

Visceir

Mumei = Dragon 2.0?

Stop shitting up the football thread with all this PC talk.

Edit: you can censor/block certain websites but can't censor words you don't want to be used?

As another Scandinavia GAF member, I really can't agree with what he just said. Obviously calling some girl that wouldn't fly, but a footballer? Doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow.

Perhaps not in a bar after a few beers with friends but never in a more civilized conversation. As always it depends on the company but in society as a whole using words like that is frowned upon. And to be honest, standing up and shouting words like that in the most seediest of football bars would still garner a negative reaction.

But then again, emotions during sports can turn even the most gentle souls into raving lunatics. Something I don't really think excuses anything, language or otherwise.

Shiloa

Is the word bitch allowed on here? I remember being really surprised when I heard it used on The Simpsons. To me bitch is far more commonly used term against women than cunt is.

P.S. Personally, I think Mumei is completely wrong. Actually, Mumei is wrong. The idea that one is implicitly insulting all women through use of the word is ridiculous. That is solely down to the writer of the word to decide whether they are using it in an insulting manner. Now if the other finds it offensive, fine, but that is different.

As another Scandinavia GAF member, I really can't agree with what he just said. Obviously calling some girl that wouldn't fly, but a footballer? Doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow.

Of course calling another member the 'c' word (can we even use it in conversation like this anymore?) should result in a ban. Anyone would find being called that offensive, but it's not any different than calling someone a dick or an asshole.
It all depends on the context.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Perhaps not in a bar after a few beers with friends but never in a more civilized conversation. As always it depends on the company but in society as a whole using words like that is frowned upon. And to be honest, standing up and shouting words like that in the most seediest of football bars would still garner a negative reaction.

But then again, emotions during sports can turn even the most gentle souls into raving lunatics. Something I don't really think excuses anything, language or otherwise.

Point is to either forbid them all or keep them all. But to keep some and forbid others due to differences in cultures is rather.. I don't know.

Nice and fair. But regarding your first point, how do I correlate it to this

Quote in the post: "there are probably few legitimate uses for 'cunt'"

If someone wants to talk about this book or this book, the word is appropriate. I can at least imagine allowable scenarios where someone might refer to their own body part by the word. What doesn't fly is using it as an insult -- whether "in jest" or not.

Right. Inasmuch as anyone on GAF thinks that the heat-of-the-moment anger during a sports match justifies behavior that would otherwise be bannable in a non-sports thread, they are mistaken. That applies well beyond the question of any one particular word.

What we're debating is whether 'cunt' is a sexual slur or not.

Just to be clear, there's no actual debate to be had here. The policy in question is settled and we are just giving y'all a heads-up about it. It's probably about time for everyone to get back on topic here.

soepje

I don´t think people will use the word dick in a more civilized conversation either. Unless the persons name happens to be Dick. And people standing up at bars, shouting random words will always raise eyebrows.

Is the word bitch allowed on here?
Nope, 'female dog' are the words you are looking for.

If someone wants to talk about this book or this book, the word is appropriate. I can at least imagine allowable scenarios where someone might refer to their own body part by the word. What doesn't fly is using it as an insult -- whether "in jest" or not.

Right. Inasmuch as anyone on GAF thinks that the heat-of-the-moment anger during a sports match justifies behavior that would otherwise be bannable in a non-sports thread, they are mistaken. That applies well beyond the question of any one particular word.

Just to be clear, there's no actual debate to be had here. The policy in question is settled and we are just giving y'all a heads-up about it. It's probably about time for everyone to get back on topic here.

Really? That wouldn't happen.

LegoArmo

Brilliant.

So, Italy to win the final then? Would be an incredible season for a lot of their players. I hope they do it, and in style.

Noirulus

Canada GAF what's your take on this dispute?

It's unfair to Football-GAF. Cunt doesn't have an overly negative connotation here like it does in America, and the context with which GAF uses "cunt" is synonymous with words like "asshole" or "dick"

I mean, sure, if someone uses the word with formal intent of attacking a person with the true meaning of the word, then they deserve to be banned. But context and all that. The word is hardly, if ever, used on GAF for that type of purpose.

If them's the rules, though, then what we're debating about doesn't even matter anyway. But has the word "cunt" ever truly hurt the community?

I just hope Busquets doesn't do scunthorpish tomorrow or 1) Imma be mad 2) Lots of people will be getting banned.

Any news on what the starting line up's will be? Don't expect Italy to change much. Wonder who Spain play up front, most probably Cesc right?

Well i don't see why the word would be ban when it okay to say , dick , pussy and whole bunch of others that are sexual slurs.
It all depends context the word is used in .

Any way back to football i going to be backing Italy the football they played so far has been nice to watch.
I also hope we get a early goal by them to open the game.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member

Also, quote " we insist that you don't use personal attacks " from the same post. C*** was used against a footballer, Balotelli, and not to address a member on this community.
And thanks for clarifying these legitimate uses for that term. I appreciate your will to keep the discussion on topic, and I'll respect that.

Looks like no matter how reasonable of a debate we strike up here we aren't going to change this. All I'll say is I find it funny how when Gaf's rules changed because of Google sex threads were frowned upon because it was impossible to have a 'sensible' discussion about the issue. It always descended into immaturity.

Here we are having a sensible, reasoned discussion and all that's happening is we're being given is 'this is how it is, no debate to be had'. A lot of people are going to be banned over this through no real fault of their own. What if someone has been on holiday and totally missed out on this thread? The TOS has always been there but the rule on this particular word has clearly not been enforced until it was suddenly decided yesterday.

Is it possible to just censor these words so the letters appear as asterisks? The forum software already does it for certain websites. That way the word isn't displayed, no one offended and no one banned

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Also, quote " we insist that you don't use personal attacks " from the same post. C*** was used against a footballer, Balotelli, and not to address a member on this community.
And thanks for clarifying these legitimate uses for that term. I appreciate your will to keep the discussion on topic, and I'll respect that.

Maybe Mario is a gaffer

Can we get a note in the rules since moderators see things differently around here?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=37832536

Originally Posted by duckroll:
Just wondering, do you guys usually use "cunt" that much in here? Lol. Or is it just at the end of the league. :p

Jensen

I just hope Busquets doesn't do scunthorpish tomorrow or 1) Imma be mad 2) Lots of people will be getting banned.

Any news on what the starting line up's will be? Don't expect Italy to change much. Wonder who Spain play up front, most probably Cesc right?
I wonder if Prandelli might use the tactics from the first match again or try to do something similar to what Portugal did and press further up the pitch.

Is it possible to just censor these words so the letters appear as asterisks? The forum software already does it for certain websites. That way the word isn't displayed, no one offended and no one banned

What's the point? We're all just saying it in our heads at that point anyway.

/Louis CK

Edit: On topic - I really hope I win the prediction league :D

soepje

Personally i find it quite sexist that the word 'dick' is allowed and the word 'cunt' is not. I feel offended, as if females are not able to stand up for themselves when they disagree with the way they are threated or referred to (bodyparts included).

Back to the game, after Holland went out in disgrace, Germany went out by just being owned. I do not have a favorite, i just want the match to be entertaining, may the best team win.

RJT

I really hope Portugal showed the way to defeat Spain. Since Italy actually has strikers, I think they can win with relative ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom