• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok after that certainly interesting exploration of slurs and their impact on the code of conduct i propose that we now go back to swearing to heart's content and discussing football and the Euro 2012 tournament again what say you all?

I'll start: I believe Italy will win tomorrow since Spain hasn't been the same all tournament long, they're ripe to be beaten!

Want to echo the support for Suairyu's post, and the general argument against banning the word cunt. Its current meaning and usage is so far removed from its origins that to seriously suggest that it is still a sexist word is, frankly, inaccurate. I can't speak for how it's received in the US, but in the Europe, and certainly in the UK, it's a word used fairly frequently as a harsher version of dick, and other insults. Don't ban it.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
With respect, Mumei, this is not true at all.

If it is, calling someone a "dick" is an implicit insult against all men.

Just because a word has one (of many) root meaning in the female genitals does not make its use imply that meaning at all.

Then again, I understand Americans are also edgy about the word "twat". Yet they also (anecdotal experience here) use the word "dick" more than Europeans.

It's not a case of a lack of taboo in Europe, as you assert - it's still the rudest of rude here before you get to racial slurs - but that the word literally works differently to how it works in the US. This is a global board and a Euro-centric thread. I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting the majority etiological style to be.

If you're want to explicitly make this a US-centric board and to follow US-centric manners of dialogue and discussion (whilst also being perfectly accepting of the then-hypocritical use of "dick" and "cock") then that's fine, you're in charge. I'd only ask you both update the FAQs and make an announcement/sticky explaining the decision and logic, because it wouldn't be fair to suddenly start banning people for not conforming to this.

100% toll geschrieben

rififi

Want to echo the support for Suairyu's post, and the general argument against banning the word cunt. Its current meaning and usage is so far removed from its origins that to seriously suggest that it is still a sexist word is, frankly, inaccurate. I can't speak for how it's received in the US, but in the Europe, and certainly in the UK, it's a word used fairly frequently as a harsher version of dick, and other insults. Don't ban it.

Many people in the US are overly sensitive, everything has to be so politically correct all the time (it's annoying). Even though this is from a comedy show, it is still unfortunately somewhat accurate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_7q4hzWFc&t=1m45s

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The c-word, or however you US dudes call it, is bannable now?

I mean, I get why, it makes you guys feel weird, and that's no good, but it's not a slur referring female reproductive organs on an objective level, as others have pointed out. So it would be good if you made your position more obvious to all of GAF than just posting once in a freaking football thread during Euro of all places. One day before the finals.

You might want to think about adding a (maybe optional) word filter for the arbitrary word list you want to not be seen by people who hate those words. Or publish a bannable word list. It's starting to get difficult to determine what's bannable and what isn't.

I could've very well not read this thread with your complaint in it, posted the c-word in another thread, and get banned, and that's pretty much bullshit. I'm sure you can see why that is.

shortyme

Don't do this.

"Cunt" is an extremely sexist and offensive slur for a vagina. When you use it to refer to someone or something you do not like, you are implicitly insulting all of the women on this board for their sex. That is unacceptable. I realize that this word does not have the same taboo in other English-speaking countries as it has in the United States, but that is not an excuse for using it.

As a woman, I can honestly say the assumption that I'm offended by the word is what is most offensive here.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i can't say i didn't expect something like this when mumei was modded. smh.

ProdicalFlame said:
As a woman, I can honestly say the assumption that I'm offended by the word is what is most offensive here.

you, good lady, are a traitor to your sex. the mere use of such an odious word, regardless of context, should fill you with disgust. but fret not, we are here to protect your honour.

F#A#Oo

Banned
because our anthem is just as passionate and triumphant as the Italian one? I dont really think you can compare how players sing their anthem, it's also something that just shouldnt matter.

The German anthem is just as passionate and triumphant sure...looking at the translated lyrics I don't see why the players can't spend a minute singing it with an ounce of passion and vigor.

Anthems do matter...you might thinks its some old tradition that nations can do without but to me its the reminder of who you are, who you are representing and conjures images and memories that you feel in your heart that gives you that extra motivation.

There is a reason that some players play entirely different at national level to club level. The difference is they have that motivation that doesn't revolve around money...its a motivation that cannot be replicated at any other level.

MutFox

Banned

Yeah, it is kind of extremist...

But who knows, there's women out there offended by this word,
just as there's men out there offended by slang words for "penis"

So equality dictates that both should be bannable.

IceCold

The German anthem is just as passionate and triumphant sure...looking at the translated lyrics I don't see why the players can't spend a minute singing it with an ounce of passion and vigor.

Anthems do matter...you might thinks its some old tradition that nations can do without but to me its the reminder of who you are, who you are representing and conjures images and memories that you feel in your heart that gives you that extra motivation.

There is a reason that some players play entirely different at national level to club level. The difference is they have that motivation that doesn't revolve around money...its a motivation that cannot be replicated at any other level.

There are two reasons imo:

1) WWII. I think patriotism is frowned up in Germany due to it.
2) A couple of players in the German team are not native Germans. Add 1) to this fact, and they might not feel nationalistic about Germany.

F#A#Oo

Banned
There are two reasons imo:

1) WWII. I think patriotism is frowned up in Germany due to it.
2) A couple of players in the German team are not native Germans. Add 1) to this fact, and they might not feel nationalistic about Germany.

Italy got Thiago Motta to sing the anthem...I'm sure the players from migrant parents are more attached to Germany than the handful of years Motta spent in Italy lol.

I don't think Germans should stunt their patriotism due to WII. Be proud damn it. :p

252735_10150900240327227_119713936_n.jpg

Arjen

With respect, Mumei, this is not true at all.

If it is, calling someone a "dick" is an implicit insult against all men.

Just because a word has one (of many) root meaning in the female genitals does not make its use imply that meaning at all.

Then again, I understand Americans are also edgy about the word "twat". Yet they also (anecdotal experience here) use the word "dick" more than Europeans.

It's not a case of a lack of taboo in Europe, as you assert - it's still the rudest of rude here before you get to racial slurs - but that the word literally works differently to how it works in the US. This is a global board and a Euro-centric thread. I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting the majority etiological style to be.

If you're want to explicitly make this a US-centric board and to follow US-centric manners of dialogue and discussion (whilst also being perfectly accepting of the then-hypocritical use of "dick" and "cock") then that's fine, you're in charge. I'd only ask you both update the FAQs and make an announcement/sticky explaining the decision and logic, because it wouldn't be fair to suddenly start banning people for not conforming to this.

Bravo.

AcridMeat

Banned
I can't believe where this thread has gone. As an American, I'm offended by the turn of events.
Pro-cunt GAF

How people choose to get uppity about words when there's so many other serious issues, it's almost sickening.

IceCold

Italy got Thiago Motta to sing the anthem...I'm sure the players from migrant parents are more attached to Germany than the handful of years Motta spent in Italy lol.

I don't think Germans should stunt their patriotism due to WII. Be proud damn it. :p

Not necessarily. Being of Italian descent, Thiago Motta might feel Italian whereas Khedira might not feel German for example. I know many 1-2 gen immigrants who will sing the national anthem (of their ethnicity) when their team is playing as well.

soepje

+ 1. The origin of the word has nothing to do with it´s current use. I´m also not offended when people are called a
BruxS.jpg

when they act like one.

I use the word dick sometimes, i´m sorry man-GAF.

fuenf

Nobody cared how the German players sang the anthem before this loss. I find the notion that they lost because the didnt show enough passion during the anthem ridiculous. Let's be honest, the only reason that some players perform better at national level is that the quality of football / tactics ranks several levels below club football.

What about Spain? Their anthem doesnt even have lyrics, how could they ever win a match? Dont forget that we wouldnt even have this discussion if the Hummels chance had gone in. Had Germany won the tabloids most likely would've said "Italy can sing but cant play. Italy only showed up for the anthems, while Germany stayed focus".

The players with an migration feel background feel German they just want to respect their heritage.

"Yeah, our disproportionate hate of you... it's not all racist. No subconscious prejudice here!; nothing of that nature perhaps motivating our mobilized notation of you as a stand out asshole amongst dozens upon dozens of assorted high profile assholes. If some of us use racist language, then it's probably because you deserve it." lulz

Obviously, Balotelli is the real asshole in this extended discourse.

Quoted for truth!

Karakand

because "retards" don't have a vocal presence on this forum, but members of both genders do?

It's not a bad word, my girlfriend (who is a person with disabilities) uses it.

It's not a bad word in my horrifically ableist country + culture, stop applying your American norms.

If you're going to ban that, why aren't you banning myopic? Hypocritical much?

There was a thread about that slur a while back in the OT and one of the more ridiculous justifications for its continued use was that it's not good to be retarded irl (as in it negatively impacts your chances to be happy and successful), so it's an acceptable insult.

immy

Banned

It's not a bad word in my horrifically ableist country + culture, stop applying your American norms.

What are you talking about, seriously.

sneaky77

There was a thread about that slur a while back in the OT and one of the more ridiculous justifications for its continued use was that it's not good to be retarded irl (as in it negatively impacts your chances to be happy and successful), so it's an acceptable insult.

That its a ridiculous reasoning... on the other hand, welcome back.

None of the Spanish players sing their anthem. Doesn't make a difference. Infact now I think of it not even the Spanish fans sing their anthem. Quite sad that Spanish people are so unpatriotic. For this reason I will support Italy tmrw, apart from the fact Spain are very boring, they are not proud of their nation.

Forza Italia!

None of the Spanish players sing their anthem. Doesn't make a difference. Infact now I think of it not even the Spanish fans sing their anthem. Quite sad that Spanish people are so unpatriotic. For this reason I will support Italy tmrw, apart from the fact Spain are very boring, they are not proud of their nation.

Forza Italia!

fry.jpg

Lancehead

Platini on Euro 2020.

"The Euros in 2020 could be held all over Europe," said Platini. "It could be either one country and 12 stadiums, or one stadium in 12 or 13 cities."

"We are just thinking about it. I have said 12 or 13 host cities, it could be 24 or 32. In these days of cheap air travel anything is possible.

"It is the political decision that needs to be made. We wouldn't have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis."

soepje

Forza Italia!
I don´t think the Spanish anthem has lyrics tbh.

Edit: I guess you are right sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom