• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't do this.

"Cunt" is an extremely sexist and offensive slur for a vagina. When you use it to refer to someone or something you do not like, you are implicitly insulting all of the women on this board for their sex. That is unacceptable. I realize that this word does not have the same taboo in other English-speaking countries as it has in the United States, but that is not an excuse for using it.

This term is pervasive in football threads on GAF, and while that might have given some posters the impression that either it was acceptable generally or acceptable within these threads, that is not the case. The TOS specifically states that, "Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense."

It really isn't a case of it having the same taboo etc, I'd argue outside of the US it has a totally different meaning to referring to a Woman's vagina.

Chuckie

Oh dear, I use the word 'cunt' all the time. I guess that's what you get for playing Call of Duty 2 with Englishmen for years.

Maybe in retrospect I should've said pussy.

No-one would've gotten what you were trying to say though, since that would've meant "scared". I guess "prick" would've been the next best thing?

I hope UK football Gaf will survive NLDs, Liverpool - United games, and all the bad refereeing decisions...

All the talk Ronaldo got for going last, and turns out that on the other side there actually was a glory seeking diva (Fabregas) making a fuss about wanting to be fifth despite the coach wanting him to go second.

It's not a big deal tbh, just a really bad look when it fails and you get yourself knocked out.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Weird, my girlfriend says cunt all the time.

I'll ask her to stop, since she's being extremely sexist towards her own gender.

Context people!

hmm "sexual slurs" will not be tolerated right?

Does this mean we should not use "Fuck you" anymore?

There is an argument the word 'fuc*' in itself falls into this category. It reminds me a little of EviLore a few months back introducing, or trying to at least, a new set of etiquette rules because of the Terms and Conditions of Google ads. Will be interesting to see how Mumel enforces this, especially in regards to those who aren't aware that it is a bannable offence

Jburton

Banned
There is an argument the word 'fuc*' in itself falls into this category. It reminds me a little of EviLore a few months back introducing, or trying to at least, a new set of etiquette rules because of the Terms and Conditions of Google ads. Will be interesting to see how Mumel enforces this, especially in regards to those who aren't aware that it is a bannable offence

I was banned without being made aware that it was a bannable offence.

Garjon

Well how about the word whore, considering that this word has a long history of being a sexist slur and is actually offensive to pretty much all women that I know? In fact, I can't think of many insulting words that wouldn't offend a certain group of people.

Also Mumei, you might want to change the 'posting etiquette' bit in the FAQ.

Yen

Well how about the word whore, considering that this word has a long history of being a sexist slur and is actually offensive to pretty much all women that I know? In fact, I can't think of many insulting words that wouldn't offend a certain group of people.

Would "whore" in a political sense be off limits?

LegoArmo

What I don't understand is that I constantly see people using offensive terms for disabled people on this forum and no one bats an eyelid. I assume because it's about context, and it should be, I don't see how this word is different.

Yen

I mean like in 'media-whore' and 'attention whore' and so on.

Then maybe we are on the same age here. That some words are only an insult when used as an insult. Context is important. When Orwell said of Kingsley Martin, "Once a whore, always a whore." there was no sexual or gender connotations.

entremet

There's definitely a different connotation in UK versus North American uses of the word "cunt".

What I don't understand is that I constantly see people using offensive terms for disabled people on this forum and no one bats an eyelid. I assume because it's about context, and it should be, I don't see how this word is different.

It seems that 'gender' stuff has been pretty incendiary here of late.

XT79f.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Somebody sneaked a "hot guys thread" in my Euro one.

Nobody tell Gay-GAF, chances are somebody will drag Pop-GAF here and then it'll be over.

jtb

Banned

because "retards" don't have a vocal presence on this forum, but members of both genders do? I'm just not particularly clear on what constitutes a gender slur - is bitch a slur also? Dick? Fuck? We just need a list of these words so we can continue with our thinly veiled misogyny without actually continuing with our misogyny, but not actually get banned. I think that needs some very explicit clarification.

RJT

because "retards" don't have a vocal presence on this forum, but members of both genders do? I'm just not particularly clear on what constitutes a gender slur - is bitch a slur also? Dick? Fuck? We just need a list of these words so we can continue with our thinly veiled misogyny without actually continuing with our misogyny, but not actually get banned. I think that needs some very explicit clarification.

Bitch is definitely a slur. I can't see how fuck is considered a slur, though. It's a fucking verb!
Possibly also an adverb.

Suairyu

Banned
"Cunt" is an extremely sexist and offensive slur for a vagina. When you use it to refer to someone or something you do not like, you are implicitly insulting all of the women on this board for their sex.
With respect, Mumei, this is not true at all.

If it is, calling someone a "dick" is an implicit insult against all men.

Just because a word has one (of many) root meaning in the female genitals does not make its use imply that meaning at all.

Then again, I understand Americans are also edgy about the word "twat". Yet they also (anecdotal experience here) use the word "dick" more than Europeans.

It's not a case of a lack of taboo in Europe, as you assert - it's still the rudest of rude here before you get to racial slurs - but that the word literally works differently to how it works in the US. This is a global board and a Euro-centric thread. I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting the majority etiological style to be.

If you're want to explicitly make this a US-centric board and to follow US-centric manners of dialogue and discussion (whilst also being perfectly accepting of the then-hypocritical use of "dick" and "cock") then that's fine, you're in charge. I'd only ask you both update the FAQs and make an announcement/sticky explaining the decision and logic, because it wouldn't be fair to suddenly start banning people for not conforming to this.

Just because a word has one (of many) root meaning in the female genitals does not make its use imply that meaning at all.

Then again, I understand Americans are also edgy about the word "twat". Yet they also (anecdotal experience here) use the word "dick" more than Europeans.

It's not a case of a lack of taboo in Europe, as you assert - it's still the rudest of rude here before you get to racial slurs - but that the word literally works differently to how it works in the US. This is a global board and a Euro-centric thread. I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting the majority etiological style to be.

If you're want to explicitly make this a US-centric board and to follow US-centric manners of dialogue and discussion (whilst also being perfectly accepting of the then-hypocritical use of "dick" and "cock") then that's fine, you're in charge. I'd only ask you both update the FAQs and make an announcement/sticky explaining the decision and logic, because it wouldn't be fair to suddenly start banning people for not conforming to this.

Fantastic post. I'd add that in Europe it's extremely rare to hear it being used as a means to refer to 'vagina'. That's not really it's meaning at all over here.

I'm the last person you'll see defending racist football fans and having been to quite a few Serie A matches in stadiums all across northern Italy over the years I've heard all the racist chants, buuuu!s and otherwise obscenely offensive stuff you can imagine. There was definitely a strong racial component to the whole Balotelli situation when he was at Inter and no one can deny that. However, at the time many fans made a point of pointing out (sorry) that the insults to Balotelli weren't racist in nature. Sometimes they were just insults. Distasteful, wrong and stupid, as insults often are. But to be completely honest ... Mario kind of deserved them at the time, because he was being an absolute cunt on the pitch. Like, the count of cunts.

24966_380348540851_7690998_n.jpg

"We don't insult you because you're of a different colour, we insult you because you're an asshole without honour."

Just to say that things aren't always as black and / or white as the quick-to-take-up-a-cause media would have you believe.
They should be black and white though, as any respectable juventino will tell you. :D

"Yeah, our disproportionate hate of you... it's not all racist. No subconscious prejudice here!; nothing of that nature perhaps motivating our mobilized notation of you as a stand out asshole amongst dozens upon dozens of assorted high profile assholes. If some of us use racist language, then it's probably because you deserve it." lulz

Obviously, Balotelli is the real asshole in this extended discourse.

Suairyu

Banned
Fantastic post. I'd add that in Europe it's extremely rare to hear it being used as a means to refer to 'vagina'. That's not really it's meaning at all over here.
Yeah. Whenever I actually hear it being used to refer to vagina it just sounds so goddamn vulgar. Jarringly so. I don't particularly like it being used in that context. It doesn't carry that meaning at all when not being used sexually.

jtb

Banned

exactly. I have no problem with banning the word cunt, but if we're going to do that - then let's be consistent. What constitutes a slur - and by who's standards? Why isn't retard banned? Are genitalia off limits completely?

edit: and :lol at UEFA's manufactured bullshit. I though Low and the ballboy was real, I really did :'(

Yeah. Whenever I actually hear it being used to refer to vagina it just sounds so goddamn vulgar. Jarringly so. I don't particularly like it being used in that context. It doesn't carry that meaning at all when not being used sexually.

Me neither. Good thing it just straight up doesn't mean that here. I'd say I hear it used most as a term of endearment if you can believe that :lol

Lol, soon they will start editing yellow cards and goals from previous games in, just to spice it up a bit for the viewers.

Does this mean Low didn't eat his boogers during the match? Cause that's very unprofessional imo, you don't sit and eat on the bench.

This is a good post.

Hmm, you could argue that females are soft targets compared to males. With having less rights and not being able to vote up until recently, etc.
You could draw a parallel to honky, cracker, whitebread as slurs for the general white population in the US. Most white ppl. won't get offended by that at all.

Meadows

Banned
Don't do this.

"Cunt" is an extremely sexist and offensive slur for a vagina. When you use it to refer to someone or something you do not like, you are implicitly insulting all of the women on this board for their sex. That is unacceptable. I realize that this word does not have the same taboo in other English-speaking countries as it has in the United States, but that is not an excuse for using it.

This term is pervasive in football threads on GAF, and while that might have given some posters the impression that either it was acceptable generally or acceptable within these threads, that is not the case. The TOS specifically states that, "Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense."

Is "dick" or "knob" sexist against Men? Most cultures/languages have swear words that relate to sexual organs, I don't think it's right to ban "cunt" but not ban "dick", "knob" etc. At the point you start doing that then it becomes a no swearing forum which is clearly not a road we want to go down.

Holy shit, when did you come back from bansville?

today. 2 month stretch, wasn't too bad though, it helped me focus on my dissertation anyway!

Is "dick" or "knob" sexist against Men? Most cultures/languages have swear words that relate to sexual organs, I don't think it's right to ban "cunt" but not ban "dick", "knob" etc. At the point you start doing that then it becomes a no swearing forum which is clearly not a road we want to go down.

Holy shit, when did you come back from bansville?

I think if we're going to start banning insults - without consideration of the words' broader contextual use - "retard" should be at the top of the list. Unlike the name-calling of human genitalia, when used as an insult it does not require contextual harangue to become derogatory. As an insult, the word by itself is actively derogatory to all intellectually-challenged people, wrongfully and malignantly linking incompetence or stupidity with disablement.

Go Spain. Dammit i have to support actors instead of footballers because i don´t like the Italian team.

Great post. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom