• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterNoisy

I kinda like it without the rule, although I think it is fair to mark down when judging. The list of official illegal connections might be complicated for some people (like me). You can kinda tell by feel--if the plastic feels stressed or the fit isn't just right, but I think this might take some time playing to figure out.

Here is a ppt for those unfamiliar with it: cache.lego.com/downloads/brickfest2006/brickstress.ppt

I was thinking about how to rank all those entries in order of preference, especially when I like all of them. Thinking I might make categories and then do a 1-5 number ranking and then just total the scores. "Appearance of Playability" or something like that would be one category and illegal connections or ones that appear unstable would be a negative there. On the other hand it could be a positive in "Aesthetics" or "Creative Piece Usage."

I was just going to make this judging criteria for my own use, but might as well open it to discussion. I haven't made categories yet, just throwing out some ideas.

Just my $.02, but I think adding too much 'structure' to the judging sort of runs counter to the light-hearted nature in which the contest was created and runs the risk of scaring off the people who are just getting back into LEGO for a laugh with fellow forumgoers.

Heck, the thread kicked off with people complaining about the 'elitist'/exclusionary nature of the term 'MOC'. Just let people build what they want and vote how they want and see how everything shakes out - the hardcore types will express their concerns about illegal connections at voting time.

Avixph

You guys might find this technique useful:

4531528223_8ea193f8cb.jpg

Jasoneyu

I think order of preference is probably the most simple way to at least tally votes without it being too cumbersome come judging time.

You guys might find this technique useful:

4531528223_8ea193f8cb.jpg

Woahh, this is awesome!, might try it out with the build I am doing now

Just my $.02, but I think adding too much 'structure' to the judging sort of runs counter to the light-hearted nature in which the contest was created and runs the risk of scaring off the people who are just getting back into LEGO for a laugh with fellow forumgoers.

Heck, the thread kicked off with people complaining about the 'elitist'/exclusionary nature of the term 'MOC'. Just let people build what they want and vote how they want and see how everything shakes out - the hardcore types will express their concerns about illegal connections at voting time, right?
Ya, that's what I meant--people should just build whatever, and then if individuals have concerns about connections, they can express it through voting.

By no means did I mean we should have an official judging criteria--people should just vote however they want. Just thinking of making one for my own use, cuz I don't know how to pick. I could arbitrarily pick a few favorites, but sounds like we're meant to rank all the entries by preference.

Yea I agree putting them into order will be tough.
But there is no reason to make it too serious. :)
The main idea behind ordeering them all and not just picking the top five or so was so that no one feels left out. :)

I think the simplest way would be people just pick their favorite, and you rank from there. Simple and fair. I already know which entry is getting my vote from the current entries. Illegal connections be damned.

Why does there have to be a no "illegal" connecting rule? That seems dumb IMO because the way folks are connecting them seem thoughtful and cool. To have anyone hold back simply because it's thinking outside the box seems silly.

Why does there have to be a no "illegal" connecting rule? That seems dumb IMO because the way folks are connecting them seem thoughtful and cool. To have anyone hold back simply because it's thinking outside the box seems silly.

Well, thinking outside the box is good, but the illigal moves will damage the bricks in the long run. That's why they are frowned upon, but as has been stated, it's not part of our rules for this contest.

Changed my model to remove the illegal connections. I realise that was not necessary, but I had a lot of extra bricks anyway.

@parrotbeak - That ppt was very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, thinking outside the box is good, but the illigal moves will damage the bricks in the long run. That's why they are frowned upon, but as has been stated, it's not part of our rules for this contest.

But if it's your own brick and you don't care, who cares? I bring it up because it was mentioned that the next contest would have that rule.

After many different models, I think I will finally put my official entry in. After all the wonderful cars, spaceships, and robots being posted in here, I decided to go for a very different approach to this:

A living room diorama. A couch, chair, coffee table, lamp, and end table with lamp.

The leftover pieces.

And just for kicks:

One is a destructive, mentally unstable force to be reckoned with. The other is The Hulk.
How can two totally different people possible live together in such a small apartment? They are "Perfect Strangers."

mrkgoo

PhoncipleBone:

That's awesome! Love the idea, and creativity. You can see what it is exactly, with brief second of thought.

As for voting, we could do what the Photography assignment threads do:

When period is up, someone collates the entries into one big post (until that moment, entries can still be done - actually, it's pretty lenient, and some late entries are typically accepted).
[Time is normally given in the assignment period, with my preference for stating pacific time at midnight, as it gives west coasters a better option to enter.]
Then, voting happens - anyone can vote. Two votes, first choice, and runner up. Honourable mentions are made just for commenting purposes.
First choice votes get 3 points, runner ups get 1.

That's it.

And there are generally no other rules. It was made to be simple and self-regulating. If you think illegal connections are ok or not - use that in your voting, and thus the voters will deem it legal or not. [for general tidiness of those threads, non-entry photos were typically limited until deadline was met, mostly for clutterness - it also helped those who collated the entries to actually find entries more easily].

Obviously, you don't have to follow that set up, but it has worked for several years with hardly any change.

On a slightly joint topic, I'm going to mention that people should consider the photography of their model. Presentation of your idea is very important - you want to look its best! First up: white balance. Set your camera to the appropriate lighting setting. Typically incandescent if you're not using flash, and use light bulbs. This will help make your white lego actually white, and not yellow.

As for voting, we could do what the Photography assignment threads do:

When period is up, someone collates the entries into one big post (until that moment, entries can still be done - actually, it's pretty lenient, and some late entries are typically accepted).
[Time is normally given in the assignment period, with my preference for stating pacific time at midnight, as it gives west coasters a better option to enter.]
Then, voting happens - anyone can vote. Two votes, first choice, and runner up. Honourable mentions are made just for commenting purposes.
First choice votes get 3 points, runner ups get 1.

That's it.
my original intention was to stop any entries not receiving any votes, therefore everyone who votes places all entries in order of appeal and that is then all added up for the final ranking.
shouldn't be too hard.

and your tip about photography is of course valid, and we cant stop anyone from taking it into account when voting, but it should be about the model :p

wetwired

Not my actual entry but I was fiddling around trying to make a 3 wheeler bike and somehow this was the result, I may have been watching Batman Returns at the time though.

IMG_20120718_221854.jpg

mrkgoo

my original intention was to stop any entries not receiving any votes, therefore everyone who votes places all entries in order of appeal and that is then all added up for the final ranking.
shouldn't be too hard.

and your tip about photography is of course valid, and we cant stop anyone from taking it into account when voting, but it should be about the model :p

On photography, of course it should be about the model! But that doesn't mean we should take crappy cellphone pics with poor white balance. It doesn't do the models justice!

And voting can be done however people want. I don't mind not getting votes though. I think we're over being concerned about being picked last for baseball team. Just trying to keep it simple. When you have a dozen entries, just like in top ten threads, people often just go top 5, and then "whatever". Keeping it simple will keep people doing it.

Critiquing and forcing people to choose just two is healthy :) Seriously, it's a good thing to make people actually consider the models more carefully. Oh and of course, you are not allowed to vote for yourself :p

. Oh and of course, you are not allowed to vote for yourself :p

That's always been in the rules ;)

Awesome batman.

Oh and by the way a heads up notice.
I'm off on a 3week holiday tomorrow, I'll be hiking for a week and hope to come in to update the OT after that and then I might be on sporadically till my holiday is over.

After all the wonderful cars, spaceships, and robots being posted in here, I decided to go for a very different approach

Agreed! I figured I would post mine before someone else posts something similar and it looks like I copied them, lol. This was the very first idea that popped in my head since the very first moment I saw the colors. I was glad I was eventually able to create my first idea through trial and error. I built the claws first and went from there. The arms move from side to side and the front legs can prop the model up in different poses. My kids saw version 1.0 and loved it. Since they could identify it as a crab, I knew I was on the right track! It took me 4 builds to get it just the way I wanted, mainly changing the colors to get the right overall look and feel.

Official Entry:

c82a63b5.jpg

cf3872d9.jpg

9caa12e9.jpg

63ce9836.jpg

694205d1.jpg

No pics of the leftover parts, but there were a lot of them.

I don't see Batman. I see the big blue bug of justice. I see The Tick!
I saw Batman but now I can't unsee The Tick. Now I have to go netflix some Tick.

The entries are just getting better and better!

As for photography, I know my camera phone is shit. I should retake shots in bright daylight, cuz it comes out much clearer then. I'll try to redo before the contest is over.

I'm just saying this to be helpful but the only ones where the camera bothered me was when the light source was behind the model or there were shadows obscuring the brick work. I want to see how everything connects. As long as I can see each surface clear enough to make out the bricks, I don't care about the lighting or blurriness. That's just my opinion of course.

I for one don't own a camera and didn't feel like asking anyone to borrow one for this. I just imagined the conversation to be awkward: "Hey do you mind if I borrow your camera to take pics of my Lego? I promise I won't go through it and look at your sex pics." Maybe at some point in the next month I will.

Kleevah

So many awesome contributions to this thread, great work everybody. Here is my simple entry, had to be a spaceship of course...

5Valg.jpg

hYE7b.jpg

087gc.jpg

IDCe9.jpg

There were quite a lot of pieces left when done with ship itself, so I improvised a pretty sturdy stand for it too:
JgNwp.jpg

Looks so much better a bit angled... :)
FnSP0.jpg

2NYRw.jpg

And here is what's left:
qAQ07.jpg

Oh, and sorry for the shitty lighting in the pics, had to take them in a hurry and didn't see it before I transferred them to the PC.

Lego designer building instructions and project file:

Auto generated HTML Building Guide
- Project File (.lxf)

LazyLoki

Went and bought the roadster yesterday. Here's my entry, Spaceship #4397:

In landing position:
img_0390qiu55.jpg

At the landing pod:
img_0394w1puz.jpg

Flight position 1:
img_0391ihu3y.jpg

Flight position 2:
img_03921lueh.jpg

The rest of the pieces and the landing pod:
img_039397u36.jpg

mrkgoo

Heh, just built the roadster to get a feel of the set. It's a cool model.

Curious, is the set the same in the US, as in, it has the drivers side on the right hand side of the vehicle?

Also, can I confirm there are no spare square one-stud pieces?

I got spare:
3x 1 space slanted piece (one orange, one light blue, pne dark blue)
3x round one-stud (grey, orange, clear)
1x wrench looking piece(used for the steering wheel column)
1x that free spininng post used for wheels.

Wubby

Found the set at a store called 'Seiyu' here in Japan. My first time touching legos since I was a kid so almost 20 years or so. But looked fun so I'll join.

My inspiration comes from Nnenn and the Vic Viper group on Flikr. I heard about him after he had passed away and was amazed by his creations. I had forgotten about him again until this group build reminded me that I still wanted to try my hand at making a lego Vic Viper.

So here's my take at making a Vic Viper using only what comes in the box. I realized after I had built it that I could have made it stud-less if I had tried to build it smaller. I wanted to use as many of the parts as I could though.

Only have a white paper background and the lighting is a bit harsh. I need a photo-cube or something to filter the overhead lights.

And the leftover parts:

Heh, just built the roadster to get a feel of the set. It's a cool model.

Curious, is the set the same in the US, as in, it has the drivers side on the right hand side of the vehicle?

Also, can I confirm there are no spare square one-stud pieces?

I got spare:
3x 1 space slanted piece (one orange, one light blue, pne dark blue)
3x round one-stud (grey, orange, clear)
1x wrench looking piece(used for the steering wheel column)
1x that free spininng post used for wheels.

US spare parts are the same, I believe. At least, that sounds the same as what I have. And, the steering wheel is on the left.

mrkgoo

US spare parts are the same, I believe. At least, that sounds the same as what I have. And, the steering wheel is on the left.

Heh, neat.

And yeah, as the contest goes on, the models get more and more impressive. I loved the living, room, then I thought the crab was genius, and now the Vic Viper looks cool.

I'm in over my head here.

MisterNoisy

Found the set at a store called 'Seiyu' here in Japan. My first time touching legos since I was a kid so almost 20 years or so. But looked fun so I'll join.

My inspiration comes from Nnenn and the Vic Viper group on Flikr. I heard about him after he had passed away and was amazed by his creations. I had forgotten about him again until this group build reminded me that I still wanted to try my hand at making a lego Vic Viper.

So here's my take at making a Vic Viper using only what comes in the box. I realized after I had built it that I could have made it stud-less if I had tried to build it smaller. I wanted to use as many of the parts as I could though.

Only have a white paper background and the lighting is a bit harsh. I need a photo-cube or something to filter the overhead lights.

(awesomeness snipped)

Woo - another shooter-inspired spaceship, and a very nice one at that! High five!

Hey guys, just bought my set. Am I allowed to do illegal connections? Everyone's entries are awesome. :D Can't wait to see what I can make since I haven't played with Lego since I was a younger.

mrkgoo

Hey guys, just bought my set. Am I allowed to do illegal connections? Everyone's entries are awesome. :D Can't wait to see what I can make since I haven't played with Lego since I was a younger.

It,s cool that this is getting people back into Lego. Lego is timeless, I reckon.

And props to the choic of the roadster. A really good set, multiple models, a great selection of modern Lego pieces, and a wide variety to stimulate the creative juices. And cheap!

L.E.G.O Artillery Wagon.

After about 3 hours I finally completed my L.E.G.O. Artillery Wagon attached to the Logistical Engagement Gorilla Outfit squad. Comes equipped with a Designator Cannon attached to a stabilizer arm that auto deploys when the cannon prepares to fire. The stabilizer arm alone took me forever for some reason haha. This Wagon class vehicle gets to the battle quickly with the three Markdep wheels with anti penetrating wheel coating to give it better traction.

L.E.G.O Artillery Wagon.

After about 3 hours I finally completed my L.E.G.O. Artillery Wagon attached to the Logistical Engagement Gorilla Outfit. Comes equipped with a Designator Cannon attached to a stabilizer arm that auto deploys when the cannon prepares to fire. The stabilizer arm alone took me forever for some reason haha. This Wagon class vehicle gets to the battle quickly with the three Markdep wheels with anti penetrating wheel coating to give it better traction.

From one angle I thought it was this:
bluth-company-lego-stair.jpeg

This thread just keeps delivering :)

Great new models guys and gals :)

I was able to squeeze some me and internet time into my holiday and have updated the OT.
see you again in a few days :)

gokieks

Made a little speedboat thing. Not completely thrilled with it, but might as well submit it while I decide if I want to break it down and try something else.

gaf_01_01.png

gaf_01_02.png

gaf_01_03.png

gaf_01_04.png

Also made a small stand for it, and put on a random minifig I had laying around:
gaf_01_05.png

And leftover parts:
gaf_01_06.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom