• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
A little attempt at something spacefloaty!

tumblr_m7qd5tjvxQ1qjgfxlo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7qd5tjvxQ1qjgfxlo3_r1_1280.jpg

Scrum

Bought the set today.

Been a looooong time since I had some Lego. Gonna try it out for a while and see what I can do about it.

mrkgoo

Ok, a sort of first attempt. I don't really like it, but want to get a feel for the set, and a feel for lego. Apart from the city model I built a short while ago, I haven't attempted being creative since I was a kid!

It's a really cool set. Would be fun to just see everything I can build from the one set!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7683592190_13bf8ab27c_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8149/7683580780_9f6f921ed9_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7683580182_b532664f39_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7683579712_710791803c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8026/7683581272_c585690ff5.jpg
I know it's harder to use less pieces, but I thought it would be a good exercise to just use them all, especially to get a feel for the set.

(and yeah, after all my talk of taking nice photos, I just slap some up - hopefully if I ever find the time, I'll make a better model and take nicer photos!)

edit: Ok, I've moved onto model 2. so I've unposted these images (you can still see by clicking links. Model #2 is in a new post below.

Ok, a sort of first attempt. I don't really like it, but want to get a feel for the set, and a feel for lego. Apart from the city model I built a short while ago, I haven't attempted being creative since I was a kid!

It's a really cool set. Would be fun to just see everything I can build from the one set!

This is great. I really like the challenge you set out for yourself and think you did a super job with it. Very complete.

Deefuzz

LegoGAF is the best GAF...Seriously!

I'm so happy to see this thread and to see my fellow LegoGAF participating.

Late to the party on this thread, but I am going to go pick up this set and see what I can do in the little time we have left for this month.

Chris R

I started to work on some kind of cart robot with facial features but never got around to finishing it. Might just post what I have when I get home though, it wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad compared to some of the stuff people were able to make here.

It is not immediatly obvious what this is suppossed to be. Care to give a brief description to help give my mind get the proper push in the right direction?

Ha sorry, it's not very apparent is it. Getting some new pics that I will edit in that will hopefully show it better, but it turned out to be an abstract micro building with a greenhouse type back to it.

Ha sorry, it's not very apparent is it. Getting some new pics that I will edit in that will hopefully show it better, but it turned out to be an abstract micro building with a greenhouse type back to it.

Not immediately apparent, but I figured it was a small avant garde building. I like it, and you're one of the few people to do something cool with the windscreen.

lovely ships there DodgerSan and mrkgoo

Glad to see some others joining in now. This thread has been very slow after the initial burst.

maybe a month is a bit too long?
we might consider shortening the time for the next round.

nice little house there ChaChaChaChia
I shall add it to the entries in the OT
[edit]
gimp just ceased to work under mountain lion, I will have to postpone the image till I get that sorted out.

I'm going to make a last minute push this weekend to try to rebuild my dog and take better pics. I realized I didn't take enough pics while deconstructing to figure out how I did the inside of the face and body, so I'm just going to redo it and hope it comes out again.

mrkgoo

Ok, having got a better feel for the set, I decided to try something with more focus.
I was inspired by some creative use of pieces shown in RichardAM's ship (namely the front panels), so I incorporated the same use :)

I like this model much better than my first. Having such a focus in building feels refreshing. I know I was pretty random as a kid.

Dropship:

Click any image to go to flickr and you'll see a couple more shots. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, I love RichardAM's ship a lot. The simplicity and cleanness is great. Also, I love the crab from earlier. Will be tough to vote!

maybe a month is a bit too long?

Good idea. I support shortening it to around the 2 week mark but still have the contest once a month or something like that.

I'm also thinking that one of the people in the contest gets to choose the next set. The winner is the obvious choice, but it would be kind of fun to have the person with the least amount of votes or a random contest participant do it in order to keep everyone engaged. Just some random thoughts!

mrkgoo

Good idea. I support shortening it to around the 2 week mark but still have the contest once a month or something like that.

I'm also thinking that one of the people in the contest gets to choose the next set. The winner is the obvious choice, but it would be kind of fun to have the person with the least amount of votes or a random contest participant do it in order to keep everyone engaged. Just some random thoughts!

Keeping it simple and relatively short keeps the interest up.

And yeah, choosing the next set should be made simple - as you say winner or least votes. My preferences is winner, because it'd be too easy for someone to just naff an entry to get no votes.

But the winner already gets prizes...

Another possibility is people can submit some options and the winner can choose. Or vice versa. Key is to make it quick and simple.

I think we should keep it to the $15-20 range of sets easily available, which is pretty narrow. Once we've exhausted those we will probably need to discuss as a group to see what people are willing to buy. I mean, LEGO-GAF will probably buy anything but we want to keep this open to as many interested people.

Two weeks is probably enough time but that means twice as many contests and sets over the year, and after a while it would feel like you were always in a contest. I'm actually enjoying this break.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Man it's gonna be hard as hell to vote on these things, way too much creativity and talent.

As for how long the contest is, I think it should be determined by the set size, a month was a bit too long for this set, but would have been perfect for a larger set.

Determining the next set could be one of the actual prizes, it's like the only free prize you can give away that no one has to pony up for.

Also I think having at least a week long break in between each contest would help FliXFantatier in the running of them, as much as we love something it can become a chore or get stale without the right balance.

Regardless of what's decided, I can't wait for the next one.

Random person picking the set could be interesting, but could also lead to something potentially being hard to find (retailer exclusive, possible out of print status, etc.)
We could do a vote for the next set as well. Maybe everyone posts what they think it should be, and a few days later there is a vote and whatever set won we have to go get, and then we have two weeks to submit.

Keeping it in the $20 or less range is good and allows more people in. Also, those sets are pretty easy to find usually. I did have a dark horse idea for a $30 set for a potential contest. One that I think would make for some really interesting submissions.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Regarding the month thing, now that I have entered it does seem a bit too long. But I wouldn't want to discourage any possible entries, as they've all been great and I love seeing what else everyone else has built.

Eitherway, I think the extended time-limit is necessary so people can actually acquire the set- I know I had to wait a week before I had my own and that might be worse for others.

I definitely hope we can do this again next month though.

A month is too long; agreed.

I like the idea of a 15 day contest, then the last 2 weeks of the month can be spent bickering over which set we'll do next.

There are other options than just picking a set to use. We could have a theme or concept to build to, or perhaps build a model within a certain number of bricks.

Kleevah

Was a bit bored today so I tried to recreate my entry in the Lego Designer software. I had no previous experience with it, but I'm very impressed with how simple and easy it is to work with. It also allows you to export a pretty nice building instruction for models, so I updated my post with the following:

Dunno if anyone care, but I'd thought it would be nice if somebody wanted something new to build or just to get some inspiration. Didn't manage to recreate the stand unfortunately, as it's based on illegal connections and the designer doesn't like those very much.

Regarding the month thing, now that I have entered it does seem a bit too long. But I wouldn't want to discourage any possible entries, as they've all been great and I love seeing what else everyone else has built.

Eitherway, I think the extended time-limit is necessary so people can actually acquire the set- I know I had to wait a week before I had my own and that might be worse for others.

I definitely hope we can do this again next month though.
Ya, we definitely have to build in time to acquire the set. Not everyone lives in an area with lots of Lego. Would it be better to have 1 month for the whole contest, including acquiring and building/posting pics, or have a 2 week break to acquire set and then 2 weeks to build. Then a week to vote and pick a new set.

I think I like 1 week to vote and pick a new set, then 1 month to acquire and build. It just seems like a lull right now because it was a flurry of activity and then hardly anything, but once we get going with a few sets, down time is not going to be boring.

Vyer

As expected, I've procrastinated this far and haven't done anything other than this little fighter (another ship!) at the beginning of the month. I'll go ahead and put it up as my entry and maybe I can come up with something else in the remaining days.

As expected, I've procrastinated this far and haven't done anything other than this little fighter (another ship!) at the beginning of the month. I'll go ahead and put it up as my entry and maybe I can come up with something else in the remaining days.

izrohUyPklWUM.JPG

I thought I was done with spaceships but...this is a really nice build. So clean.

Well done!

Official Entry

Easel
wbKvE.jpg

Painting (not quite Rothko is it.)
eDKfc.jpg

Bench + Palette with a brush and dabs of paint.
o0xKm.jpg

All together.
zGqej.jpg

Another view to show the angled legs.
HQvCE.jpg

joelseph

I didn't really enjoy this set, I felt like the piece selection was very limiting and pigeon holed the contest. Specifically, all the pieces felt flat, long and skinny! Looking forward to the next set. =)

Katoki

My ideas have fizzed out, but I really like this one out of everything I've tried. I think I just like jet-like objects too much.

Entry: "Future Fighter Jet"
iLg9VD6YVMvJX.JPG

I guess this one would be a "Waverider" mode from Gundam animes.
ibeFlUdcX4Kk8W.JPG

iRcinmzlANzMp.JPG

ibtn1btQb03ov8.JPG

iBBvEEHyL3Ne2.JPG

I have loved everything in the thread, but I wish the deadline would approach much faster so that the next set to buy can be decided on.
OK I wanted an excuse to buy more LEGO

I have loved everything in the thread, but I wish the deadline would approach much faster so that the next set to buy can be decided on.
OK I wanted an excuse to buy more LEGO

You need an excuse? Here is the best one: "Because they are there." :) The one I use is "I just wanted it."

I need excuses but the easiest one is that it is on sale. "Look at that cents per brick! I'd be foolish not to buy it!"

Oh I dreamed that I took my TIE and Slave 1 to work and everyone was pointing and laughing at me and I told them they needed to grow up a bit before they could appreciate Lego. I also explained that they weren't just toy spaceships, cuz you can make a lot of other things with it.

You need an excuse? Here is the best one: "Because they are there." :) The one I use is "I just wanted it."

Doesn't work when I'm trying to save money for my PAX trip coming up.

I need excuses but the easiest one is that it is on sale. "Look at that cents per brick! I'd be foolish not to buy it!"

Oh I dreamed that I took my TIE and Slave 1 to work and everyone was pointing and laughing at me and I told them they needed to grow up a bit before they could appreciate Lego. I also explained that they weren't just toy spaceships, cuz you can make a lot of other things with it.

I never look at the price per brick honestly. Maybe I should?

To me there are other factors though, like you can get tons of 1x1s with a good ppb or you can get bigger or rarer pieces with a bad ppb. You need a good mix of everything so just buy whatever and tell yourself whatever you need to hear.

Some of the great submissions made me want to try something different than my typical builds.

I guess it only has 6 legs so it can't really be a spider...

Front
HiGYGl.jpg

Sides
R2mkel.jpg

XBEPul.jpg

Leftovers
jemzpl.jpg

OT updated,
contest is nearing the finish line, I'm excited to see the outcome of what is to come :)

with the voting on the entries I would suggest we add a voting for our preferred next model.
So everyone just posts the number of the set they would most like to see as the basis for the next entry and that will then be considered when the second contest is started.

Milamber

OT updated,
contest is nearing the finish line, I'm excited to see the outcome of what is to come :)

with the voting on the entries I would suggest we add a voting for our preferred next model.
So everyone just posts the number of the set they would most like to see as the basis for the next entry and that will then be considered when the second contest is started.

I can't choose either...

6912 - Super Soarer ($12.99)
wnbuB.png

6914 - Prehistoric Hunters ($17.99)
ilpqtYQGz4nVQ.png

6911 - Mini Fire Truck ($5.99)
GW3Aw.png

6910 - Mini Sports Car ($5.99)
Y9Rzm.png

Super Long Shot, but...

5770 - Lighthouse Island ($39.99)
ibhywK4oSFcS4L.png