• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Discussion

So I havent had a discussion thread in quite a long time , I think the last one that I had was Full Auto and that was quite awhile ago so I was looking at all the games that are worthy of a discussion thread and what games are already taken. Madden taken , Saints Row nope. Then I figured SD vs Raw 2007 but something like that shouldnt be done for another 2 months at least so it came to me GEARS of War its Halo 2 , Its Ghost Recon, Its Unreal, Its the best of the best of shooters all packed into One Some may relate to it as a modern Bionic Commando but without Furtherado it's known as

Gears of War

In this third-person tactical action/horror game, players live and breathe the role of Marcus Fenix. A disgraced former war hero, Marcus seeks personal redemption as he leads his fire team against an onslaught of merciless warrior fiends. Gamers immerse themselves in an experience so intensely emotional and gut-wrenching that playing will be like controlling a blockbuster action movie.

“Gears of War” utilizes the breathtaking new Unreal Engine 3 to create cinematic, high-definition visuals for a gaming experience that truly ushers in the next generation. Gamers will experience beautifully rendered interactive environments and characters so lifelike they appear to be made of flesh and bone. The next-generation visuals create a world in which the tiniest detail is vivid in the largest battle.

“Gears of War” unites next-generation technology with classic, emotional storytelling and a revolutionary tactical combat system, engrossing the gamer in a horrifying epic story of war and survival.

screen5.jpg

The Date
August the 3rd was the Date that Epic was expected to announce a megaton announcement that would shake the foundations for Gears of War fans every where, what the announcement was a 3 part announcement the first part mainly was the Release Date Emergence Day 2006. Available exclusively for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the highly anticipated title "Gears of War" will be available in North America on Nov. 12, 2006. However it has a catch if retailers get the game in between Novemeber 5th and 12th they may sell it as soon as it Arrives. so be sure to lineup for the game before the 5th if you want your copy as soon as possible

The Price
Somewhat Contoversial and somewhat common sense comes the second part of the 3 part megaton announcement by epic games Gears of War will retail for $59.99 USD - $69.99 CAD for the Regular Edition and 69.99 USD - 79.99 USD for the Collectors Edition.

The Game
Engaging and disturbing cinematic story. Massively scoped worlds, memorable characters and an epic story line play out like an intense and unsettling blockbuster action film. Dramatic in-game camera work and a compelling story bring the brutal, emotionally charged experience to life. Gamers control Marcus Fenix and his fire team as they pit advanced human technology against the overwhelming and horrific Locust Horde.

* Fire team co-op action. All game modes, levels and scenarios are designed for cooperative fire team play (AI or human). For the first time, AI teammates are indiscernible from human players. They move intelligently, take orders effectively, and seek cover and defend themselves when necessary. Gamers will experience richer cooperative gameplay than ever, through unique characters that require cooperation to survive.

* Unprecedented visuals in next-generation gaming. “Gears of War” ushers in the next generation with unprecedented visuals. The Unreal Engine 3 technology pushes high-definition visual designs and brings out the smallest details in the largest battle. Gamers will experience a rich dynamic world with an unprecedented level of detail. Characters come to life with unbelievable model quality and a physics-integrated animation system that has them truly reacting intelligently to events as they unfold around them.

* Hyper-realistic and intense combat. In “Gears of War” the battlefield is a lethal place — to foolishly stand out in the open is to die. To survive, gamers can create and take cover using interactive and dynamic environments, suppress the enemy with blindfire, and use their weapons and teammates to outwit and outfight their terrifying enemies.

* Next-generation Xbox Live action. “Gears of War” will embody the next-generation Microsoft® Xbox Live™ experience and extend it even further. Gamers will be able to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player achievements, customize their games, and build and personalize their gamer profiles.

The Choices
Regular Edition $59.99 Contains:
- Comes with Gears of War on a Xbox 360 DVD and Instruction Manual

Collectors Edition
Collector's Edition $69.99 contains:

- Comes with Gears of War on a Xbox 360 DVD and Instruction Manual
- An exclusive hard-bound art book titled “Destroyed Beauty”
- Lots of exclusive behind-the-scenes content, including an inside look at the making of Gears of War

So Feel free to discuss GOW Clans, GOW the game and Emergence Day its coming and its creeping up fast.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Didn't know anything about the extras for the Collector's Edition - thanks for the details Brad...

But unfortunately there isn't too much things to discuss... we need more info and stuff...

Nevertheless, it's still my most anticipated title for 2006... it's THE game that's looked next-gen before next-gen was out...

Mojovonio

Banned
So.... is there anymore info on the dynamic lip synching in this game? Like when you talkinto the mic, the marcus' mouth moves...

I heard this on an xboxyde discussion around E3 and never heard it mentioned since.

BlizzyAzz

Mojovonio said:
So.... is there anymore info on the dynamic lip synching in this game? Like when you talkinto the mic, the marcus' mouth moves...

I heard this on an xboxyde discussion around E3 and never heard it mentioned since.

IIRC no lipsync for the mic but lipsync for cutscenes and ingame talk.

Rogosh

BlizzyAzz said:
IIRC no lipsync for the mic but lipsync for cutscenes and ingame talk.

Are you sure? That's not the word going around the gears forums on epicgames.com.

[edit]If you do a search there, you'll find that MP does indeed have lip syncing. Also, here is a link to an article that discusses it http://www.xboxic.com/news/1199[/edit]

BlizzyAzz

Rogosh said:
Are you sure? That's not the word going around the gears forums on epicgames.com.

Not 100% sure, that's just what i think Mark Rein said during a chat session on the big announcement day, i could be wrong tho.

There's also something to be said about the teamwork that involves contact. The game will make use of microphone support, so you can shout commands amongst your team and keep in constant contact, and the voice recognition system and real-time lip syncing promise to keep the communication as smooth as possible, all while it actually looks like you're screaming to your team instead of just keeping a stiff face. Leave it to Epic to implement little details like that and make them shine that much more.

http://xbox360.gamedaily.com/game/preview/?gameid=4457&page=2

BlizzyAzz

Yeah i found something simlilar but those aren't official statements by Epic, however i better be wrong cause this is definetly a cool feature.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
* Unprecedented visuals in next-generation gaming. “Gears of War” ushers in the next generation with unprecedented visuals.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Rogosh

BlizzyAzz said:
Yeah i found something simlilar but those aren't official statements by Epic, however i better be wrong cause this is definetly a cool feature.

Yeah, i can understand the skepticism. Only reason i believe it's true is because it's been mentioned a number of times on there official forums and epic is normally very good about correcting players who post incorrect information on there games at there forums.

Rogosh said:
Yeah, i can understand the skepticism. Only reason i believe it's true is because it's been mentioned a number of times on there official forums and epic is normally very good about correcting players who post incorrect information on there games at there forums.

Maybe Cliffy B will come in with one of his random comments of wisdom to further confuse this issue. Bitches! :lol

Pseudo judo said:
Online co-op? Yes or No. If so, two players not 4, correct?
2 player online co-op is confirmed. You can also hop in and out of co-op on the fly: see your friend playing campaign in the middle of a level? You can jump right into wherever he is and replace the AI character. Should be sweet.

pr0cs

My biggest worry is length of the game. Games that typically look pretty are pretty shallow in terms of length of game.

I don't need a 20 hour epic but if the game clocks in under 6-7 hours I'll be pretty disappointed. (single player)

I'm expecting some replay value out of this. in short, branches paths or possibly paths that open up after you finish the game.

One thing I don't know about is the ability to choose different characters? Haven't really looked into it though.

pr0cs said:
My biggest worry is length of the game. Games that typically look pretty are pretty shallow in terms of length of game.

I don't need a 20 hour epic but if the game clocks in under 6-7 hours I'll be pretty disappointed. (single player)
I'm not sure what an arbitrary length has to do with making a game completely satisfying or not...good or not. If it's the best 6-7 hours you've had in years then I'd say that's better than 6-7 hours of those same quality experiences spread out and sprinkled around an additional 10 hours of not-so-good gameplay. I prefer more concentrated goodness that executes at a perfect pace from start to finish rather than a game that goes on too long and, in the end, needs to have some fat trimmed to make the overall experience more enjoyable. I understand wanting a game to give you a feeling of $50-60 worth that you put down to play it, but you don't need a long game to give you that. Multi and co-op will certainly add a lot to the package. Then there's the free (and premium) DLC to look forward to.

VictimOfGrief said:
One thing I don't know about is the ability to choose different characters? Haven't really looked into it though.
Single-player I think you're locked into Marcus Fenix, the main character, for most (if not all) of it. Multiplayer you get to choose between a few different character models depending on which side you're playing for.

pr0cs

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm not sure what an arbitrary length has to do with making a game completely satisfying or not...good or not. If it's the best 6-7 hours you've had in years then I'd say that's better than 6-7 hours of those same quality experiences spread out and sprinkled around an additional 10 hours of not-so-good gameplay. I prefer more concentrated goodness that executes at a perfect pace from start to finish rather than a game that goes on too long and, in the end, needs to have some fat trimmed to make the overall experience more enjoyable. I understand wanting a game to give you a feeling of $50-60 worth that you put down to play it, but you don't need a long game to give you that. Multi and co-op will certainly add a lot to the package. Then there's the free (and premium) DLC to look forward to.

What I find developers do nowadays is skip putting content into the single player experience and then when questioned about it they come up with "well it has multiplayer to increase the value of the game".

The story and premise of the game has a lot of room for content so what I'm saying is that if the story is seriously gutted and short I'll be disappointed. Yeah 6-7 hours on a really great and engrossing story is nice but I'd prefer 10-12 hours with an engrossing story. Any game with less than 10 hours worth of single player gameplay is disappointment in my book.

Rogosh

The the CE version is 70, the normal version is the same price as any other 3rd party developed game is (ie 60)

shpankey

not an idiot
the co-op sounds amazing. hopefully the industry will follow this lead (as they always do anyhow, copycat city).

Tieno

tHa_vIlLaMaN said:
Multiplayer

Campaign

There are no words....

EDIT: Credit goes to scooby_dooby :D
Are these screenshots taken from a video, because they're usually much bigger and better quality.

Wollan said:
The gore in this game is just unbelievably good.
Industry take note.
Foutains of blood ftw!

One of the best things in this game is the sense of 'grounding', like everything fits and has weight.

tHa_vIlLaMaN said:
Damn straight!

You know, it just dawned on me how immersive that rainwater pouring down from cracks in the ceiling is going to be. Oh God damn this game could be three hours long and I will never stop playing.

Top Bottom