• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

Fantasmo

I got rid of the flickering by disabling some options in sikkmod (soft shadows) but I dont have a paralax occlusion mapping folder. where do you get it ? I want to see those POM effects.

Look at my post history, it's somewhere in there (the one about vfp files and glprog folder).

By the way, gameplay related for a change. You guys know the tentacle soldier enemy (just looked it up he's called Zombie Commando)? I used to think he was undodgeable but he's not. While he's charging at you fire, then DUCK when he leaps in to swing his arm. Keep shooting and he'll come forward to kick you, but if you back up it won't land. By the time he gets close enough you'll have downed him. Crouching is equally helpful for crowd control with cherubs and the trites/ticks since you'll only have to face the right direction instead of also aiming at the correct downward angle while getting pummeled. And Plasma is best for Lost Soul crowd control.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Serious Sam BFE was on sale yesterday for 75% off, and it supports not only lots of effects and tons of destruction
Runs like dogshit, though, when you take into account the ugly visuals it delivers. :\

Alright, I got Sikkmod working well again. Not using POM, though, due to some drops. Of course it's all a matter of opinion so I suspect a lot of people will hate these settings. I just love post processing (film grain, depth of field, motion blur, etc). It's all here.

68603d6bdf3369f6965e414cda808dc574f77244.jpg

fc80c9860631b3812593c9b5e916459270c570ae.jpg

b887f8cd08ba3d8b4d5e8820010ee4fda46a47fe.jpg

68f55fac12c7957de785c0440b50619d80d5caa0.jpg

3af03b0c0367bffee396e6d4fd8557a67d4b69d8.jpg

Fantasmo

Runs like dogshit, though, when you take into account the ugly visuals it delivers. :

Alright, I got Sikkmod working well again. Not using POM, though, due to some drops. Of course it's all a matter of opinion so I suspect a lot of people will hate these settings. I just love post processing (film grain, depth of field, motion blur, etc). It's all here.

It runs flawlessly on my GTX 670 OC, but I feel you because with 2 player split screen I have to take off AA to get 60fps. Still, iits fun and FOUR PLAYER SPLIT SCREEN which no one does on PC even though PC is best suited for split screen!

Yeah those pics do look pretty sikk! I want to get a proper texture and sikk install guideline and working links after I finish it. I wonder if its appreciably better than Doom HD. I haven't had any complaints yet but 350 more textures sounds great.

TUROK

Runs like dogshit, though, when you take into account the ugly visuals it delivers. :\
Serious Sam 3 throws like 30+ enemies of a very high polygonal and textural fidelity, along with motion blur, POM, particles that receive shadows, and more destructible environments than the average shooter. If you don't know why it's such a demanding game, you don't understand rendering.

Raptomex

Serious Sam 3 throws like 30+ enemies of a very high polygonal and textural fidelity, along with motion blur, POM, particles that receive shadows, and more destructible environments than the average shooter. If you don't know why it's such a demanding game, you don't understand rendering.
Game runs and plays fine for me maxed out.

dark10x

Oh I realize that, but I feel they put resources into the wrong areas. It's ugly as sin despite some impressive technology. The actual results are not attractive at all, I feel.

Xander51

The Lost Mission is...definitely not the best part of this package. The last encounter is fun but the cutscene at the end feels like it was thrown together in about 3 seconds. Lots of good Paul Eiding voice acting was the highlight for me. Decided to blaze through it when I heard it was short, and yeah, it took me about 90 minutes.

Runs like dogshit, though, when you take into account the ugly visuals it delivers. :

Alright Dark. Tell me what I need to get this? I have the original Doom 3(not bfg) and want to sit back, have a few beers, turn off all the lights, kick the wife out of the room and play Doom 3. It's been a while. I just downloaded Sikkmod and Wulfen Texture pack as well as Doom 3 HD.

I'm running an i7-920@3.8
6 gigs of ram
GTX 680.

So hardware should be able to beast this. Should.

Do I just need to get those installed and play? Or are you doing it with a modified Doom BFG edition?

Noticed something. I think you can no longer buy Doom 3 (original) on Steam standalone, you have to buy the super expensive id pack to get it, is that right?

I'm on my phone and the site stopped loading for me so I can't confirm.

Raptomex

Noticed something. I think you can no longer buy Doom 3 (original) on Steam standalone, you have to buy the super expensive id pack to get it, is that right?

I'm pretty sure there's a Doom pack. But D3 was standalone when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it was. It was years ago.

NBtoaster

edit: I'm wrong, it has a store page, but no purchase option for it alone.

Echoplx

Holy crap, now they're trying to force people into buying BFG :lol

Fantasmo

Oh my god, it was there yesterday with RoE for $25! Yesterday! WTF id. I like the survival horror version!

T-0800

Just to clarify re tearing on PS3.

Only tears when the torch is on? Tears without torch on? Constantly tears with torch on or only ocassionaly?

IronRinn

One thing I will say about the BFG edition is it's probably not such a pain in the ass to get working. I have been fucking around with this game trying to get it to run in widescreen for what seems like hours, now. Edited DoomConfig in the base folder and that finally worked. Installed sikkmod and it worked the first time but reloading the game puts it back at 600 x 840 or whatever. I edited the DoomConfig file in the sikkmod folder as well and it still won't work. It's infuriating. Nothing seems to work. Tried making and autoexec.cfg with the resolution settings, no go. Anyone know of a solution?

Edit: Ha! Just figured it out. seta r_mode was set to 3 and not -1. Jeebus that was annoying. Carry on.

So I just noticed that in BFG edition, when you fire your gun in the dark theres no muzzle flash or dynamic light in your immediate area. So when you're in a completely dark area and you shoot your gun you just keep firing in darkenss.

On the flipside, in regular DOOM 3 you can use the muzzleflash to see what you're shooting at in the dark when you don't have the flashlight equipped. They just took it right out of BFG edition. So fucking terrible.

Switched back to regular DOOM 3 with sikk mod. Wish I didn't spend that 20 bucks.

Downloaded Wulfen+Monoxead+Sikk and it runs terribly. I know I should be seeing decent frame rates with a 680 and i7-920@3.8ghz. Any advice anyone? I'm playin the original Doom 3(non BFG)

Edit: decide to delete everything and do a fresh install. Hopefully that will fix something. There should be no reason I'm getting 15 fps with my set up.

Edit2: fresh install fixed whatever my problems were. Looks phenomenal with all the mods. Like, really reall good. Could easily put a lot of modern shooters in its place.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haha holy shit if you search it you see the info in the drop down saying 20$ and then you go to the page and there is no 20$ option. Bethesda is fucked up.

The id collection is awesome though and actually has better id games than Doom 3.

scitek

Do any other Nvidia owners have trouble getting triple buffering to work in OpenGL games? It won't work in either of the ones I play regularly (this and Stranger's Wrath).

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/vi...id=3246f8cc8bb6b31b5eb8fc8df8ebe9fc&start=260

I've extracted all the map resource files now, and this explains why the BFG edition weighs in at 7GB: Each map's 'resource' file contains everything that map needs (excluding the 'common' stuff I guess) to run. So alphalabs4.resource AND alphalabs3.resource contain 1360 DUPLICATED assets. alphalabs4 has 797 files not in alphalabs3, alphalabs3 has 341 files not in alphalabs4!

I guess this was made for consoles? To have all needed assets packed together for performance reasons?

Poking around comparing the original map files to the new ones shows that the changes are mostly checkpoint trigger additions, new ambient sounds and some detail lighting here and there.

Script differences are interesting. Reduced lighting and shadowing effects on the guardian boss. Maledict and Hunter have less scripted health. Quite a few tweaks and fixes scattered here and there. I especially like this commented out line in alphalabs4:

//sys.trigger($trap3_impspawn); //disable imp attack because it's dumb

There are fixes relating to animation states of weapons in MP. I think these are a 'proper' fix to the SDK based fix for when weapons missed an animation change. There was code in idWeapon::ReadFromSnapshot() that dealt with this but it was a bit ugly so guess they spotted that and killed it when reworking the netcode.

Looking at the scale of the changes, the whining over on the Bethesda forums seems even more annoying than it did originally.

To be honest these kind of changes, unless you've played Doom 3 like 10 times you can't notice them.

Echoplx

Haha holy shit if you search it you see the info in the drop down saying 20$ and then you go to the page and there is no 20$ option. Bethesda is fucked up.

The id collection is awesome though and actually has better id games than Doom 3.

It gets better, you can't even buy Final Doom on its own now, I guess they're going to do this to all of them ;_;

Feindflug

I found this bit interesting:

So all 3 versions run at 35fps. Why the hell did id claim it got Doom 1&2 @60 on the PS3?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was confirmed some time ago as it was on Carmack's keynote that the console versions had some sort of AA in 2D mode...also there was no mention of any form of dynamic resolution for Doom 3 on consoles IIRC.

Either way the 360 looks and runs good enough for me so I'll definitely get the game soon.

Eusis

Digital Foundry is good for console analysis but rather worthless when comparing all 3 considering they lock PC resolution down to 1280x720 in order to make the differences between the console and PC versions seem less drastic.
PC needs to be treated entirely different I think. You're not looking to see how much better PC is so much as to make sure it isn't inferior than consoles for some stupid reason, or is actively buggy/handicapped in some way compared to consoles. So long as those two conditions aren't meant then it's easily the best by resolution/FPS at worst.

dark10x

Digital Foundry is good for console analysis but rather worthless when comparing all 3 considering they lock PC resolution down to 1280x720 in order to make the differences between the console and PC versions seem less drastic.
Is that how you see it?

Look, we all know that PCs will offer superior image quality and performance, there's nothing surprising about it. What's more interesting to me in all of these comparisons is how well the consoles stack up to the PC versions in regards to asset quality (textures, models, effects, shaders, etc). When they are placed at equal resolution it becomes very easy to clearly see the differences. It's not as if this is a contest. If they were claiming console superiority over the PC versions then there might be an issue, but they never do.

Woah, it uses dynamic res on ps3 and 360 like Rage.

But Final Doom isn't even in the BFG edition..

Yup. Seems pretty much spot on with my last evening experiece with Doom 3 PS3. Finally got the chance to see the intro up to a bit after the infirmary.

-More prominent to framerate drops
-Visible tearing thorough
-That blurry feeling that now I can finally confirm as dynamic resolution (apparently used much more often in the PS3 build)

Still, Doom 1&2 are definitely better in this version simply for the fact that the music plays at the correct original speed :) You don't care the lower tempo from the 360 version until you lhear the original again :(

Eusis

I honestly expect Bethesda went "don't sell anything but Doom 3 BFG, Doom 1, and Doom 2", ignoring that besides the original versions of Doom 3 and its expansion there were also Final Doom and the Doom II Master Levels. Whoops!

I honestly expect Bethesda went "don't sell anything but Doom 3 BFG, Doom 1, and Doom 2", ignoring that besides the original versions of Doom 3 and its expansion there were also Final Doom and the Doom II Master Levels. Whoops!

I certainly can't speak for Bethesda in this regard, but it does suck that people aren't able to purchase the games individually.

pa22word

PC needs to be treated entirely different I think. You're not looking to see how much better PC is so much as to make sure it isn't inferior than consoles for some stupid reason, or is actively buggy/handicapped in some way compared to consoles. So long as those two conditions aren't meant then it's easily the best by resolution/FPS at worst.

I agree, which is why locking it down to 1280x720 to compare with the consoles is a waste of time at best and misleading at worst.

It'd be much better if they actually provided us with worthwhile PC comparisons, like benching Nvidia vs ATI/AMD and analyzing the results. Stacking them up with consoles @ locked 1280x720 benefits no one.

Is that how you see it?

Look, we all know that PCs will offer superior image quality and performance, there's nothing surprising about it. What's more interesting to me in all of these comparisons is how well the consoles stack up to the PC versions in regards to asset quality (textures, models, effects, shaders, etc). When they are placed at equal resolution it becomes very easy to clearly see the differences. It's not as if this is a contest. If they were claiming console superiority over the PC versions then there might be an issue, but they never do.

We know the PC release is going to be better in 99% of the cases by default. Stacking them up to compare asset quality for the PC release at a literally substandard resolution is a waste of time.

We know the PC release is going to be better in 99% of the cases by default. Stacking them up to compare asset quality for the PC release at a literally substandard resolution is a waste of time.

I disagree. Stacking it up at the same resolution clearly shows the differences between assets and effects with other builds.

dark10x

I disagree completely. It's the best way to clearly demonstrate differences while throwing out the resolution issue (as we all know the PC can support higher resolutions). These comparisons are not intended to highlight the higher resolutions supported by the PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The best way to appreciate assets is at higher resolutions. Just look at Dark Souls. It doesn't matter if the assets are the same when you literally can't see the detail at 720p.

Digital Foundry's methods are beyond fucked.

dark10x

The best way to appreciate assets is at higher resolutions. Just look at Dark Souls. It doesn't matter if the assets are the same when you literally can't see the detail at 720p.

They aren't trying to "appreciate" assets with their comparisons.

Yes, the best way to appreciate assets is at higher resolution. But it's not the best for comparison.

They aren't trying to "appreciate" assets with their comparisons.

Exactly. One would think this is not hard to comprehend.

NBtoaster

It's very rare for a console game to have textures much higher res than the native rendering res like Dark Souls.

StuBurns

Banned
You're never going to please everyone when comparing the PC to the consoles. The PC isn't a specific system, results will vary wildly from user to user, and while they could attempt to cover a whole range of technical systems, from shitty laptops to bleeding edge, that's an enormous amount of work, and not one that would be justified by the hits the articles pull.

Eusis

You're never going to please everyone when comparing the PC to the consoles. The PC isn't a specific system, results will vary wildly from user to user, and while they could attempt to cover a whole range of technical systems, from shitty laptops to bleeding edge, that's an enormous amount of work, and not one that would be justified by the hits the articles pull.
It's why I brought up my angle, though maybe I should read one of those to see if they address similar. Still, I think it's far more useful to know if something like Dark Souls failed to take proper advantage of the platform without modding, or if something like Saint's Row 2 fucked it up entirely.

Top Bottom