• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Elaborate on this? I have no idea what you're referring to.

As in, like, cel shading? Or literally the visual presentation?
Those games specifically look and animate like an actual television show. They are the most striking examples of realtime graphics masquerading as animation I have ever seen.

ALL of the footage is 100% realtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=r5F-BLLChoM#t=29s

The types of battles you see in this game are fully controllable, but that quality should be even easier to obtain in a menu driven RPG. That seems like a perfect fit to me.

Trigger

Teddie being Nanako's shadow is implausible and terrible. One of those theories that feels like a fanbase trying to unnecessarily tie everything together.

But I'd still read it.

BeesEight

Seriously? Where is this? Even if it's implausible, it'd still be a good read :)

I'd love to read this as well. With a another semi-guaranteed sequel/spinoff after P4A, there's still time to retcon this in.

I think I may have read it on the Atlus US forums. I did some scanning but since I came across it when Persona 4 originally came out, I haven't been able to find the original discussion.

That said, I came across a condensed version on TvTropes (of all places).

"How about Teddie being a shadow born from Nanako

Specifically he was born from Nanako's feelings of loneliness. Nanako may have been young, but as seen by her and Dojima's Social Links she has more then enough problems already to have a Shadow. She is trying to come to grips about death, misses her mother, and her father is almost never around. I don't think I recall seeing her spend time with friends either, she just goes home and watches TV.

Now look at Teddie. He's a shadow who wanted to be accepted by people. Nanako's loneliness could translate into Teddie's desire for friends. Teddie also very quickly hits it off with the Main Character, who is also the first person Nanako is able to draw close to. Teddie also has a tendency to say things as though it were a commercial which is easily explainable by how much time Nanako spends watching TV, and even somewhat paralleled by her singing along with commercial jingles. When Teddie becomes independent enough to form his own self and enters the real world, he very quickly becomes a friend to Nanako, who may in fact be his best friend besides the Main Character.

This would also explain the absence of Nanako's Shadow when she was in the TV world. It wasn't because she was too young to create a shadow, it was because her Shadow was already there. Furthermore it's Nanako's "death" that causes Teddie to return involuntarily to the subconscious and have his existential crisis, along with having his epiphany about just what he was."

There's some discussion about the implications of this theory:

"While this makes a certain amount of sense, it means that Nanako is going to be a raging lesbian when she grows up."

"Er, well be that as it may, it does nothing to discount the hypothesis itself, it merely point's out an additional consequence of it being correct that This Troper hadn't thought of while typing it. Besides, it's not like possible homosexuality is anything new to Persona 4 anyway."

"Perhaps not. For all of Teddie's "scoring with girls" obsession that winds up consuming his whole Personality it seemed to be entirely imprinted upon at first. When you meet him he's not like that at all in fact aside from being childlike and friendly doesn't seem to have much of a personality. It's not until his encounters with Yukiko' shadow that he starts to talk about scoring all the time, and the fact that the next two dungeons are also related to sexual themes just reinforces the notion. This doesn't make him a perverted bear by nature, just extremely impressionable like a child. Unfortunately the people he imprinted upon happened to be a crowd of hormonal teenagers."

I remember there being more to the theory but I don't even remember the game very well to recall all the different points the original author used. It did seem overly complicated, though, so I have zero doubt that it was never the intention of the original designers.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Persona4

Beckx

I'd love to read this as well. With a another semi-guaranteed sequel/spinoff after P4A, there's still time to retcon this in.

How guaranteed is semi-guaranteed? I love P4A, as I said above I'd be more than satisfied if that story only continues in a P5A.

I don't think I recall seeing her spend time with friends either, she just goes home and watches TV.
This line alone make my heart shed moe tears.

But she mentioned hanging out with
imaginary friend
Junko once!

I can write off Teddie's obsession with "scoring" because I almost think he has no idea what it really means.

I'll agree that it is super far fetched as some of the connections are pretty out there, but I kind of like the idea. Actually, I really like the idea.

How guaranteed is semi-guaranteed? I love P4A, as I said above I'd be more than satisfied if that story only continues in a P5A.
If they do follow up on the Nyarlathotep story, there's no way they couldn't at least reference both shadow operatives and the P4 crew both searching him out.

If P5A is where that happens and it mostly focuses on P5 characters and they structure it like P4A and all characters get a VN story mode, then that's the most likely venue to continue the P4 universe and either take any loose story threads to their logical conclusion, or go even more nuts on the fanservice (like a random shot of Akihito/Chie OTP as police officers).

Herla

At the end of Persona 5 it's revealed the Demon Painter was the final boss all along, he removes his wig and everyone grows mustaches.
In the final shot you see missiles about to hit Japan.

Full closure.

Dresden

That's why the bad ending where Nanako dies and the case goes unsolved is the best ending. That feeling as you leave the town, Dojima a broken man, fog still shrouding Inaba. So good.

That's why the bad ending where Nanako dies and the case goes unsolved is the best ending. That feeling as you leave the town, Dojima a broken man, fog still shrouding Inaba. So good.

Interesting, I never got this ending. So, how does one obtain this ending?

So, P4 has three endings then? Plus two final bosses? One true boss?

Interesting, I never got this ending. So, how does one obtain this ending?

So, P4 has three endings then? Plus two final bosses? One true boss?

There's... Throw Namatame in the TV, Save Namatame but don't figure out the Killer's real identity, Defeat Ameno-Sagiri and leave town without defeating Izanami, Defeat Izanami (True End), and then like, a new ending for Golden, I think, where you help Adachi out?

Dantis

I would love a ending like that. It pisses me off that nobody suffered in p4.

All the Persona games have happy endings (Except EP, maybe? I haven't played it). It makes complete sense for the happiest of them to have the happiest ending. I thought it was absolutely perfect.

Esura

Banned
Well, P4 was kind of sad. Everyone saying good bye to the best person to ever step foot in that town. :(

His parents should of just let him stay there dammit.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
A lot of people love Aigis. She is so adorable.

Man, I wish I could find that Aigis and Chie chibi brofist pic from that other thread...

CrXdZ.png

Dantis

Uh... did you play Innocent Sin?

Yep. I never understood how that was considered a sad ending. Philemon reversed it all. The only thing they lost was their friendship, and they met up again and remembered each other anyway.

And it was glorious.

Herla

You think dying from a spear wound that NEVER STOPS BLEEDING feels good?

If you count that then everyone in every game suffered.
What I meant is that at the end of that game everyone ends up better than before. Then EP happens, but that's another story.

Yes. I never understood how that was considered a sad ending. Philemon reversed it all. The only thing they lost was their friendship, and they met up again and remembered each other anyway.

And it was glorious.

If they remember, the contract is invalidated and the world gets destroyed. EP is basically non-stop crapping on the IS cast and it's a pretty big bummer.

....if you do things wrong, you get to see Lisa and Eikichi sobbing their eyes out at Alaya Shrine during the ending because they remembered everything that happened.

Tamanon

Banned
There's... Throw Namatame in the TV, Save Namatame but don't figure out the Killer's real identity, Defeat Ameno-Sagiri and leave town without defeating Izanami, Defeat Izanami (True End), and then like, a new ending for Golden, I think, where you help Adachi out?

The new ending in Golden is twisted. Everyone should see it at least once. Even has new anime cutscenes.

NichM

Banned

My favorite thing about that ending is how the "weather report" gets changed to the "fog report."

Esura

Banned

This picture never gets old. Never.

If they remember, the contract is invalidated and the world gets destroyed. EP is basically non-stop crapping on the IS cast and it's a pretty big bummer.

....if you do things wrong, you get to see Lisa and Eikichi sobbing their eyes out at Alaya Shrine during the ending because they remembered everything that happened.

When you think about it, that would kill any big P2 cameos in future Personas wouldn't it? Since if they can't remember any of the events they wouldn't be able to use their Personas no?

It seems like out of all the Persona games the P2 cast gets the shortest end of the stick out of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom