• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what should Nintendo do to put a stop to consumer confusion about what the Wii U is?

SRTtoZ

Wii2. It was a very simple thing but of course Nintendo always has to try and be different. WiiU is the worst name ever...

braves01

Banned
Talk about adding even more confusion, especially when you consider the fact that most retailers are just dumping all the Wii and Wii U shit in the same general area. It's kind of confusing to tell what's what and especially what's new and different.

I think this is a big part of the problem. They do the same thing with 3DS games and for anyone that isn't as familiar with gaming it's confusing and difficult to find what you want. Nintendo also needs to fix its relationship with Amazon. Wii U is in the Amazon ghetto right now. No "Wii U" link at the top bar of the video games section. No big link on the front page of the section. The only way to get to the Wii U games is clicking a small text link on the left or a small picture link halfway down the page.

Oppo

But then they wouldn't have a "thing" to stick on the end of the game titles. They seem to really like that.

Sandfox

I don't think that Wii U is a bad name as long as they do a better job informing people about it. If they named it the Wii 2 people would just be wondering why they should get a Wii 2 when they have a Wii 1 which again comes down to informing people regardless. I still think they should just got the sticker method though but meh

Already too late.
I wouldn't go that far. The console hasn't even been out a month so they still have a lot of time.

Midou

I'm honestly shocked a company that must do fuck tons of market research made such a poor choice for that name, that the average person can tell you its a bad idea, for free.

Every person who isn't the type of gamer to buy all the latest tech and keep up with gaming news who I've brought up the Wii U around, or asked me about it, had no fucking clue it was a 'next-gen' system. Perhaps if the next Sony and MS console came out, people would just assume this is 'the new Nintendo', but in the current state, its just confusing.

I would say push the idea of 'an all new system' perhaps with some sort of push towards 'playing new games not possible on the Wii" or something.

That 's just it. You guys are twisting yourselves in knots thinking of scenarios under which a consumer would be confused. Confusion will always be a problem for consumer electronics! As i said before, if the consumer is interested, they'll investigate. If not, they won't. .disinterest is not confusion.

Nobody "twisted themselves in knots" thinking this up. It's reality. It's obvious. My company's electronics buyer nearly re-ordered a batch of Wiis because she thought the Wii U was a controller. My girlfriend's daughter thought it was a Wii controller after we'd just played a few hours of Nintendoland. Target had misinformation on their website. ABC News has a story that refers to stolen Wii U's as "Wiis" "Wii portable consoles" and "Wii U" interchangeably. The confusion is blatant.

Whether it affects sales is a different question, sure. And yes, there's always a certain amount of confusion in electronics. But not at this level. I think you're in denial if you really believe this isn't a problem. It is. The real question is how big a problem. It may turn out to be relatively minor. But it was also widely predicted over a year ago, and could have been so easily avoided.

El-Suave

Stuff like this
31R-BsqwvtL._AA300_.jpg

just adds to the confusion - remove Wii U branded Wii accessories from the marketplace for now. That won't save the device, but it might help a little.

RibMan

Great topic. I think there are three short-term issues facing the Wii U.

First, there's a messaging problem. Nintendo are trying to sell the new controller first then the new console second. I think they need to stop this as soon as possible.

Second, there's a purchasing problem. Nintendo are still selling the original Wii in the video game section of all major retailers. I think they need to stop this as soon as possible.

Finally, there's a support problem. Nintendo are not making it clear what their software offerings and third-party content is for 2013. I think they need to stop this as soon as possible.

With all of that said, I don't think the short-term issues pose a significant problem, as they can be remedied through effective use of their financial resources a.k.a war-chest. There's a long-term issue though that will affect both the Wii U and its greater content offerings, that is, there is an issue of console power and how it compares to other consoles.

Nintendo will be in a very undesirable position if both the next Xbox and the next PlayStation are -as the rumors suggest- technical powerhouses. The problem isn't that the next competitor systems will be able to run games at a higher resolution or run games at faster framerates - in fact, given how this generation panned out, it would be reasonable to say that "games that run better" won't have a significant impact in the marketplace.

The actual problem is the next competitor systems will be able to run everything else better; every single service and application out there will conceivably have access to a larger pool of memory and significantly faster processor than the Wii U. This wasn't a problem this generation as consoles were being bought primarily on what games they had and how you interacted with them as opposed to what services and apps the consoles provided. The technology market has changed dramatically since 2005, and if both Microsoft and Sony are paying close attention then Nintendo will, unfortunately, be in a losing position.

The good news for Nintendo is (if the rumors are true) both Microsoft and Sony have a fundamental interaction problem with their next-gen systems. If Microsoft truly make Kinect 2 the main way to use the next Xbox, and if Sony make a break-apart DualShock as the main way to use their next PlayStation, then both Microsoft and Sony will have a very big problem on their hands. We now live in a world where touching your device is how you interact with your device and its content, and if both Microsoft and Sony choose to ignore this, then Nintendo and the Wii U will be in a fantastically fascinating position.

Medalion

Banned
I am convinced Nintendo chose to make this name ambiguous so people see the Wii name brand and think it will sell like gangbustas

But they are not aware of public perception that Wii hasn't been a must have item since 2009

Wii U name was a terrible choice. Iwata almost lost his job because 3DS got confused with DS and wasn't selling for it's price tag. I can see the same situation happening with Wii U.

Bgamer90

Banned
No they wouldn't. They're a foolish consumer, remember? They don't know the first thing to expect from a new console. Why is it called a game console, anyway? Can you play the blue box games on that? That's all the kids told me they wanted.

Heh, yeah... a foolish customer wouldn't know what to expect from a new console. It isn't like new consoles that are successors to popular (older) ones have been around for more than 20 years or anything like that.

I don't get why some of you don't understand that Nintendo has done many things to set up the Wii U to be more confusing than it should be.

Yeah? How many lost sales would you say the confusion has caused? Do you think it's worth focusing a lot of their attention on, as opposed to making more games that kids will point at to their parents?

BOTH are important. To say that product confusion isn't something to worry about is silly. Marketing/branding as a whole is to try to make users know about your product.

They could make more games for kids to point out to their parents but at the end of the day, the parents are the people that have the money. I'm pretty sure that you would agree that it's important for the parents to know what they need to get so that their kids can play the game(s) that they want.

Nobody "twisted themselves in knots" thinking this up. It's reality. It's obvious. My company's electronics buyer nearly re-ordered a batch of Wiis because she thought the Wii U was a controller. My girlfriend's daughter thought it was a Wii controller after we'd just played a few hours of Nintendoland. Target had misinformation on their website. ABC News has a story that refers to stolen Wii U's as "Wiis" "Wii portable consoles" and "Wii U" interchangeably. The confusion is blatant.

Whether it affects sales is a different question, sure. And yes, there's always a certain amount of confusion in electronics. But not at this level. I think you're in denial if you really believe this isn't a problem. It is. The real question is how big a problem. It may turn out to be relatively minor. But it was also widely predicted over a year ago, and could have been so easily avoided.

Just let it go man.... obvious that some can't see the (pretty obvious) various ways that it doesn't help Nintendo at all.

WhyMe6

Firstly, Super Wii is the greatest name ever.

Secondly, it'd be nice for them to have some games ready that really showed off the console's graphical capabilities for launch. That'd be a clear a message as anything to say, hey, this isn't the Wii anymore.

I asked my parents recently when they saw the WiiU controller and they even said it looks like a add on controller for Wii. I then asked if they think Super Wii would have been a good name, they both said yes at the same time. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing and it would happen for folks from the snes days and create new ones for the Wii generation

televator

100% of the Wii U conversations I've had with people I know are conversations about whether or not the Wii U is just an add on controller.

I'm happy to clear things up for them, but I think it's hilarious.

The most plausible idea for them is to alter the main logo. The Wii U logo is way, way too similar to the Wii's logo. The added U really doesn't help distinguish it from the consumer eye. When they went from Nintendo to Super Nintendo, there were distinct differences in the console design, the logo design, everything. Nintendo's already made the mistake of making the Wii U console look similar to the Wii. So for advertising purposes they need to A) emphasize it's an all-new console and B) change the logo so visually people can see it's a new product.

That's the best they can do with the hole they've already dug themselves into.

zeitgeist

Do a big marketing campaign addressing the confusion so it really sticks.

Poking fun at the poor branding decisions in a self-referencing/meta way could get the point across.

Nintendo has the capability of being funny and charming with their ads so they should be able to pull this off.

Duxxy3

Slap the person that decided 3DS and Wii U were going to be good names that wouldn't confuse consumers.

Then go back in time and shoot him as an infant.

They just need to come out with good games. It's a dumb name, as was Wii, but if there's a reason to play it then people will figure it out. It's not rocket science.

Even though I think the confusion is easily in the minority, just market the system as a new console with new games. It's that simple.

Plus, I don't expect the Wii to be in retail much longer, unlike the DS situation. Wiis aren't selling anymore.

Hiltz

I love how we all think were marketing gurus here. Reggie's probably rolling his eyes at us. Of course, Nintendo needs to rethink its marketing strategy with the Wii U. Reggie, we are at least right about that one, aren't we ?

Bumhead

Banned
Has this confusion always existed around new consoles, save for the 3DS? The Wii U is a pretty bad name, but it definitely seems like consumers are getting stupider, although that's probably a consequence of their own success with the Wii and the audience that brought in.

I also understand the point people are saying that a complete rename would cost too much, but rebranding is different. Slipping "Super Wii" into commercials isn't an end of world thing to do, just like it apparently wasn't in Japan, nor is rebranding the consoles general image like Sony did with the PS3 in getting rid of the Spiderman font etc. Surely these things are still options? I would suggest introducing the term "Super Wii" should be done immidietely and if it catches on from a marketing point of view, rebrand the system later to almost phase the "U" out entirely.

alphaNoid

Banned
100% of the Wii U conversations I've had with people I know are conversations about whether or not the Wii U is just an add on controller.

I'm happy to clear things up for them, but I think it's hilarious.

My sister in law was buying a Wii for her son for Christmas. She called me and asked if the new WiiU controller was good for the Wii and why it cost $249. I explained it was the new console, she still didn't understand clearly.. and all because of the name WiiU. She was convinced it was a Wii add-on.

gg Nintendo, the soccer mom crowd you loved doesn't even know what your product is.

Duxxy3

Even though I think the confusion is easily in the minority, just market the system as a new console with new games. It's that simple.

Plus, I don't expect the Wii to be in retail much longer, unlike the DS situation. Wiis aren't selling anymore.

Didn't the Wii out sell the Wii U last month?

Hiltz

Has this confusion always existed around new consoles, save for the 3DS? The Wii U is a pretty bad name, but it definitely seems like consumers are getting stupider, although that's probably a consequence of their own success with the Wii and the audience that brought in.

I also understand the point people are saying that a complete rename would cost too much, but rebranding is different. Slipping "Super Wii" into commercials isn't an end of world thing to do, just like it apparently wasn't in Japan, nor is rebranding the consoles general image like Sony did with the PS3 in getting rid of the Spiderman font etc. Surely these things are still options? I would suggest introducing the term "Super Wii" should be done immidietely and if it catches on from a marketing point of view, rebrand the system later to almost phase the "U" out entirely.

I honestly don't remember if the Wii had this problem, but the tv ads for it were so distinct it was memorable (regardless of whether you liked them or not) as was the console's name. We never saw peope play games with a tv remote-like controller before with the emphasis on motion control. It was a foreign idea at the time, but one that was more easily communicated to consumers.

Didn't the Wii out sell the Wii U last month?

Yeah, but it's the holiday season where all the old consoles have deals and sell higher than normal, plus there are many more Wiis on the market than Wii Us. Overall, Wiis have been struggling to sell for a long time.
EDIT: Hah, I guess it didn't.

Do nothing except maybe a few ads to highlight that it's a new console.

I'm glad they didn't name it something that would be uninteresting and boring to them(and me) like Super(ahahahahahaha, the 80s called) or put some blah number next to it.

Ads will do the trick and if they don't, that's on the consumer if they are clear.

You can only do so much.

Second, there's a purchasing problem. Nintendo are still selling the original Wii in the video game section of all major retailers. I think they need to stop this as soon as possible.

That is a very bad advice. Did Sony stop selling PS2 after PS3 came out? Did they do it with PSP?

You earn way more in profit on old consoles, even if they don't sell as much and the price is lower. The only case the situation you described happened was with Xbox and X360, and that was only because Microsoft was still losing money on each console sold and they needed to cut their loses quickly.

This is really the first console that targets complete casuals, every company nowadays wants a slice of the market they think exist - people with no prior knowledge about videogames. Wii was the same to some degree, but this is worse. As a result - yeah, massive brand confusion.You can be sure both Microsoft and Sony will target existing users first, no matter how they name their new consoles people will not be so confused.

NickMitch

I have started to think that:

Wii U is simply the WiiHD and Nintendo has made the "core" gamers a bit more satisfied with HD graphics, Online Functions and removal of FriendCodes.

I wonder how much money they have put into the WiiU....Since all those DS/Wii - IT PRINTS MONEY, they have probably made enough money to just play it a bit slow and riding out the market overall chaos that is the current days.

They have also created the opportunity to refine the motion controls and are pushing out more WiiRemotes.

Me simply thinks that the strategy is not to sell the WiiU anyway near the Wii, just do a little bit of fan service and giving up on the "web" critiscism about the lack of online community and HD output.

Conclusion: The WiiU will have the shortest lifespan of Nintendo consoles since ever...on purpose - OR The Wii(u) will have the longest lifespan of any console ever....on purpose.

I have started to think that:

Wii U is simply the WiiHD and Nintendo has made the "core" gamers a bit more satisfied with HD graphics, Online Functions and removal of FriendCodes.

I wonder how much money they have put into the WiiU....Since all those DS/Wii - IT PRINTS MONEY, they have probably made enough money to just play it a bit slow and riding out the market overall chaos that is the current days.

They have also created the opportunity to refine the motion controls and are pushing out more WiiRemotes.

Me simply thinks that the strategy is not to sell the WiiU anyway near the Wii, just do a little bit of fan service and giving up on the "web" critiscism about the lack of online community and HD output.

Conclusion: The WiiU will have the shortest lifespan of Nintendo consoles since ever...on purpose.
Lol. You can't be serious.

NickMitch

Lol. You can't be serious.

How serious can you be about speculation?
It´s a personal theory as good as any.

I have no problem with being wrong, my intention is not to sit here and claim to be a guru or expert, just putting out theories and opinions that might attract or giving other angles to a dicussion.

Teletraan1

Banned
It has already launched...there is no point suggesting a name change. That simply is not going to happen. It is what should, not what could.

The only thing they can do at this point is market the system differently. That WUB WUB commercial does nothing to clear this brand confusion. They need a smart/funny commercial that gets in your face that this is a new product and not an expensive add on.

Agreed

It is pretty obvious that Nintendo is hoping to sell the Wii U to the 96 million Wii owners. Whether or not they believe it is a $300 Wii U(pgrade) or a $300 'New' Wii doesn't really matter.

I think you find the marketing shift in the new year. The Wii will be phased out of stores ( you can already see this given the rebranding of the Wii accessories), and/or dramatically restructure the existing SKU (probably with that hideous red thing). Then the big guns will come out. Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Universe, a gorgeous Zelda, Retro's game etc. all calling out to the faithful.

I think Nintendo knows that its true test will come next year when Microsoft announces its new machine. Right now they are relying on early adopters to carry the system and build up a lead.

If Nintendo can keep up sales momentum through the next three quarters and then push the marketing hard in the fall they stand a chance at beating Microsoft in North America.

It's intentional. Tablets are cool, casual sees there's a table for the Wii, goes to buy it. After he gets shocked at the price, he gets explained it's a whole new console. At that point chances are he won't buy it, but there's at least a possibility. If he knew if it was a new console from the get-go then his interest would have never been piqued.

Haunted

I think it'll happen naturally with the product being on the market longer and word of mouth spreading the news naturally.I mean, all those tweets and discussions we've talked about so far from confused customers were answered and cleared up, right? Just a matter of time before the balance shifts and more people know what it is than don't.

This is nothing an aggressive marketing campaign can't speed up, though. They could just throw out a couple hundred million for TV ads like MS did for Kinect to make more of an impact.

Wii chicane? I like it!

Now I want a realistic racing game on WiiU.

ajim

They'll prob wait to release the Wii U pad until they dont stock wiis in store, or at least stop manufacturing them/advertising them. Would make more sense then so they can see it only goes with the Wii U and not an add on

Rootbeer

Banned
Should have called it the Super Wii as it is sorta marketed as in Japan. People have fond memories of the super nintendo. Would have gone a long way towards eleviating many problems.

Haunted

You wont get one unless the make gas an brake peddles on cars be either on or off.
Fucking Nintendo not providing triggers. :(

Well, I played racing games on button only controllers long before there were analogue sticks, but now that's just inferior. bleh

Socreges

Banned
One thing for sure, this commercial is utter trash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VSM9iQeDA

It really, really makes the Wii U look like a Wii controller to anyone who doesn't do research on the subject.

Nintendo desperately needs clearly laid-out commercials that explicitly say:

Wii U, HD gaming platform, the successor to the Wii, $299 / $349.
Yep. If I weren't into gaming I'd think it was a Kinect-type add-on accessory.

How serious can you be about speculation?
It´s a personal theory as good as any.

I have no problem with being wrong, my intention is not to sit here and claim to be a guru or expert, just putting out theories and opinions that might attract or giving other angles to a dicussion.
Sorry, but it simply comes across as wanting Nintendo to be infallible: even when they may mistakes, and/or if the Wii U isn't particularly successful, it will still be clearly on purpose and all according to keikaku.

Top Bottom