• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Amir0x

Banned
KTallguy said:
You'll give it a 10 if you don't play through the game the entire way. The first 10-15 hours are 10+ quality for me. I say overall it gets an 9 for gameplay, 8 for story.

He already played it, he's in the "FFXII hater camp" (he played the game almost all the way through, iirc... maybe recently he finished it I think), aka the losing team. The winning team comprises of Grivenger, me, Y2Kevbug, MarkMan, skip and others. Freedom lovers, in other words.

Those toys are SHIT HOT.

bluemax

Banned
KTallguy said:
You'll give it a 10 if you don't play through the game the entire way. The first 10-15 hours are 10+ quality for me. I say overall it gets an 9 for gameplay, 8 for story.

Good point. For the first 15 or so hours I had nothing but praise for 12. It's only as you dig deeper do all its flaws become apparent.

Amir0x said:
He already played it, he's in the "FFXII hater camp" (he played the game almost all the way through, iirc... maybe recently he finished it I think), aka the losing team. The winning team comprises of Grivenger, me, Y2Kevbug, MarkMan, skip and others. Freedom lovers, in other words.

Those toys are SHIT HOT.

There are no words.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:

Those toys are SHIT HOT.

*high five*

Red Scarlet

It could be the sword
you get at Raithwall's Tomb..the omgheavy one.
I don't remember what that looked like, though.

I wonder what the "importer consensus" was/would've been on Final Fantasy X. Because, I mean, I'm sure all of you are quite honest and truthful in your not-enjoying of XII, but at the same time tons of people talk shit for "good reasons" about FFX whenever it comes up around here and basically as far as I am concerned those people could not possibly be more wrong. I'm really curious to see how I actually like it when it's in my hands, but I think being on the over side of the import-consensus over-under is quite likely.

Red Scarlet

I remember the FF10 JP thread, but all I remember about it was how pretty the waterfalls at Besaid were. Don't remember anything else.

Amir0x said:

Those toys are SHIT HOT.

I'M A FREEDOM LOVER

I've been scouring the internet to figure out how the story supposedly gets bad and/or how the game goes downhill.

Amir0x

Banned
Sorry you're actually sane brandhon83, I don't want to include you in this jihad you're too young and pure!

Error2k4 isn't though, he's going to hell and is on the losing team.

KTallguy

Banned
Amir0x said:
Freedom lovers, in other words.

Viva!!

Amir0x said:
Those toys are SHIT HOT.

Yes, they are.

charlequin said:
...at the same time tons of people talk shit for "good reasons" about FFX whenever it comes up around here and basically as far as I am concerned those people could not possibly be more wrong...

FFX was not a bad game at all, I enjoyed it. Just isn't as moving or artistically satisfying or creative or deep or interesting (to me) or musically powerful as FF12. :D

That being said, if there wasn't a big internal shakeup at Square, I wonder if FF12 would have been even MORE great, and all those little flaws fixed... god, I'm crying inside.

Red Scarlet said:
I remember the FF10 JP thread, but all I remember about it was how pretty the waterfalls at Besaid were. Don't remember anything else.

Hahaha. I remember seeing FFX the first time at the end of my junior year, in the room of one of the two friends of mine who had actually gotten a launch PS2. I think I probably drooled a little.

KTallguy said:
That being said, if there wasn't a big internal shakeup at Square, I wonder if FF12 would have been even MORE great, and all those little flaws fixed... god, I'm crying inside.

It's definitely really abundantly clear to me that there's a theoretical ideal FF12 that would probably stomp the shit out of the released one even if I do wind up loving the released one a hell of a lot. The question is how viable it ever was -- were the ideas just too grand or could someone who was actually good at directing a big team have done it where Matsuno failed?

charlequin said:
Hahaha. I remember seeing FFX the first time at the end of my junior year, in the room of one of the two friends of mine who had actually gotten a launch PS2. I think I probably drooled a little.
tell me about it. I beat the OPM Besaid Island demo at least 50 times. I loved FFX! Best FF by far.

I'm kinda glad that I managed to play all the previous FFs without knowledge of the online consensus. Especially IX, I'm sure I would've heard no end of bitching about that game if I'd seen what people on the internets were saying.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
charlequin said:
I'm kinda glad that I managed to play all the previous FFs without knowledge of the online consensus. Especially IX, I'm sure I would've heard no end of bitching about that game if I'd seen what people on the internets were saying.
oh man, if you let the internets intefere with your enjoyment in games you would not like anything at all :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Error2k4 said:
oh man, if you let the internets intefere with your enjoyment in games you would not like anything at all :lol

"Dude, FF13 is so gonna suck ass, it's combat system is ghey s***."

charlequin: "Now if I buy the game, even if I truly enjoy it, that horrible, horrible critique will echo in my brain!! Gahh!!"

Amir0x said:

Those toys are SHIT HOT.

I'm apart of the winning team then *high fives*.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
brandonh83 said:
40 BOSSES or regular enemies?
I believe the first one is a normal, easy enemy. Then, it's a couple of overpowered small enemies, but as they get bigger and bigger.... well, I guess they can be considered "optional challenging bosses", as they are stronger than even the storyline bosses. :p I'm not sure if news ones are unlocked after story cutscenes or if after you defeat other, weaker ones, though, but if it's the later, then you can put to real good use all the high-end equipments you can get at the beginning of the game.

Error2k4 said:

I just mean more like it's nice to discover good or bad surprises on your own rather than expect them. I don't think I really benefitted at all from knowing that Tales of Legendia was not going to be super-awesome, while I definitely had a great time discovering how fun Tales of Symphonia was all by myself.

EDIT: If I actually listened to Internet consensus though I wouldn't start so many fights in RPG threads on GAF about how X-2 is misunderstood genius. :lol

OK so I have been seeing IGN's recent coverage EVERY DAY of the XII soundtrack being released by Tofu Records in the US. There is a new article about the soundtrack every day (I am assuming they are more like "advertorials" than actual news articles) until the game is released.

I use the term "soundtrack" loosly though, because it is only one disc. That's right. One disc of music, while the JP version has four discs.

I only bring this up because it made me a little peeved... I went ahead and ordered the legit 4CD JP soundtrack.

Why wouldn't the US release be all the music? Are there "rights" involved? Doesn't Square-Enix get a cut of the profits, wouldn't they want the whole soundtrack released here? Would one disc of music cost Tofu Records "less" to license? If so, why would that be the case? The cost of "burning" 3 additional discs cannot be that extreme.

Any feedback would be helpful, I am trying to understand.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
OK so I have been seeing IGN's recent coverage EVERY DAY of the XII soundtrack being released by Tofu Records in the US. There is a new article about the soundtrack every day (I am assuming they are more like "advertorials" than actual news articles) until the game is released.

I use the term "soundtrack" loosly though, because it is only one disc. That's right. One disc of music, while the JP version has four discs.

I only bring this up because it made me a little peeved... I went ahead and ordered the legit 4CD JP soundtrack.

Why wouldn't the US release be all the music? Are there "rights" involved? Doesn't Square-Enix get a cut of the profits, wouldn't they want the whole soundtrack released here? Would one disc of music cost Tofu Records "less" to license? If so, why would that be the case? The cost of "burning" 3 additional discs cannot be that extreme.

Sakimoto is tired of America's fool mouth.

Simo

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Well a similiar thing happened with the FFX soundtrack where a single CD was released as more of a "Best Selection" kind of deal that had only 17 tracks. I'm not really sure why SE does this, could be because of the different labels given Aniplex published the 4CD set in Japan or maybe they think a 4CD videogame soundtrack for $40 or more might not fly off shelves? Who knows.

Incidentally the Tofu Records FFXII OST is available now that features the following tracks:
01. Opening Movie (FFXII Theme)
02. Boss Battle
03. Training in the Sewers
04. Penelo's Theme
05. To Be a Sky Pirate
06. Gutter-churl
07. The Balmasca Estersand
08. Quiet Resolve
09. Parting Ways
10. Nalbina Fortress
11. Flash of Steel
12. Balthier's Promise
13. Nalbina Dungeons
14. The Archadian Empire
15. Black of Night (Imperial Version)
16. Discord (Imperial Version)
17. The Yensan Sandsea
18. Life and Death
19. Golmore Jungle
20. Chocobo Theme (FFXII Version)
21. The Salikawood
22. A Moment's Rest
23. On the Riverbank
24. The Mosphoran Highwaste
25. The Cerobi Steppe
26. Zertinan Caverns
27. Ashe's Theme
28. To Walk Amongst Gods
29. Bahamut Shudders
30. Struggle for Freedom
31. Kiss Me Good-Bye (featured in Final Fantasy XII) by Angela Aki

Zaptruder

Banned
To this day... it still irks me to see what a demented man face they chose to stick on Ashe after having been a cute hot girl.

But this is definetly the worst transition of all:

fny1437resizefl3.jpg

Anyone wanna shop a: Hello, I'm Manny McManFace onto that pic? :p

HolyStar

Banned
Even if some people didn't like FFXII story I am sure it has more character development and plot than DQVIII. To bad I never finshised it, my game was 60 hours and then my disk got messed up...

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
Okay – who has the ****ing amazing final fantasy XII commercial that played before the prestige in theatres. I mean – Final Fantasy VII commercial good...like best game commercial ever...

Mario_Hugo said:
Okay – who has the ****ing amazing final fantasy XII commercial that played before the prestige in theatres. I mean – Final Fantasy VII commercial good...like best game commercial ever...

****! I went to see prestige last night and I didn't getting a ****ing FFXII commercial.

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
Honestly – might be most epic game commercial ever – narrator just as good as the FFVII ads. Don't remember much of what he said but last line was something like "STAND TALL AND UNRAVEL AN EMPIRE." Then logo. The last few moments of the commercial (after logo) is slow motion judges walking in silence.

Fady K

Mario_Hugo said:
Honestly – might be most epic game commercial ever – narrator just as good as the FFVII ads. Don't remember much of what he said but last line was something like "STAND TALL AND UNRAVEL AN EMPIRE." Then logo. The last few moments of the commercial (after logo) is slow motion judges walking in silence.

Yeah, golden moment.

MegaTen

Banned
Hmm.. Gamestop just charged me for my preorder. On my online bank statement, though it says the charge is from 10/23 (wtf?) Is this game shipping early?

Simo

MegaTen said:
Hmm.. Gamestop just charged me for my preorder. On my online bank statement, though it says the charge is from 10/23 (wtf?) Is this game shipping early?

Not supposed to be unless the rumour about preorders getting it on the 24th is true.....?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Simo said:
Not supposed to be unless the rumour about preorders getting it on the 24th is true.....?
In-store preorders as well or only online preorders?

I'm torn because on one hand I want to play FFXII as soon as possible but on the other hand I'd like to finish Bully before committing myself to FFXII for two months...

Simo

kenta said:
In-store preorders as well or only online preorders?

I'm torn because on one hand I want to play FFXII as soon as possible but on the other hand I'd like to finish Bully before committing myself to FFXII for two months...

I'm not sure. Somebody else mentioned the 24th thing somewhere in this thread and when I asked my local EB they had no knowledge of such a thing and constantly stated about it being street dated for the 31st and will be released no sooner than that date.

I know EB/GS stores are supposed to get them in around the 24th onwards but that's about it. It'd be a bitch if online preorders are going out now considering I cancelled mine in favor of an in-store preorder so I wouldn't have to wait the 2-5 days shipping and be able to play FFXII on day one.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
elostyle said:
See kids, preordering games is retarded. Don't fall for it.

The only problem is that it's the regular edition. Which, fortunately for me, I don't care about the CE

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Wario64 said:
The only problem is that it's the regular edition. Which, fortunately for me, I don't care about the CE
I was gonna go ahead and miss out on the mighty tin box anyways. The standard cover art blows though.

elostyle said:
What are you trying to say?

You made a comment about the standard cover art "blowing."

I remember someone made a photoshop of the cover with the Days of our Lives logo, around the time the boxart was initially revealed. It was hilarious!!!

I can't find it though!?!

Top Bottom