• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Aeon712

Alts said:
I posted earlier that I had no intentions of getting the LE edition, but now I am considering dropping ~$100 on this game (LE and the Strategy Guide [I need that art book]).

For those getting the Strategy Guide. Is it online only, or can I get it at an actual store?

Bestbuy has a mini artbook, I bet it's only gonna be like 10-15pages though :(. Thinking of also getting the LE so I can get the full book.

Simo

Alts said:
I posted earlier that I had no intentions of getting the LE edition, but now I am considering dropping ~$100 on this game (LE and the Strategy Guide [I need that art book]).

For those getting the Strategy Guide. Is it online only, or can I get it at an actual store?

You can get it at any EB/GameStop store since I went ahead and preordered one at my local EBgames plus you get the whole 20% discount because of the game etc. It's just not known if the LE guide is in-stores now but I'll be heading out that way on Wednesday so hopefully they will have it and I'll still get my discount. :D

bluemax

Banned
brandonh83 said:
So yeah, people are saying the story
falls apart near the end
so... it's refreshing to hear this.

Well you gonna believe, a bunch of 14 year olds on Gamefaqs who are probably 10 hours in or those of us who made it 70 hours through the game?

I've said it before, the first 20 or so hours are really pretty good. Sadly Matsuno got taken off the game somewhere around the plot elements from about 2/3s of the way through, with the last portion of the game coming almost completely out of left field.

bluemax said:
Well you gonna believe, a bunch of 14 year olds on Gamefaqs who are probably 10 hours in or those of us who made it 70 hours through the game?

I've said it before, the first 20 or so hours are really pretty good. Sadly Matsuno got taken off the game somewhere around the plot elements from about 2/3s of the way through, with the last portion of the game coming almost completely out of left field.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm not comparing anyone from Gamefaqs to anyone here, but I am glad to hear that there are people who do like it.

Johnas

After realizing just how massive this game is, I'm glad Castlevania: PoR got delayed until December. This game will be more than enough to tide me over until Cube Zelda arrives.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not going to finish this probably. Makes me sad. :( GAF does that to you...embitters you and absorbs all your time. :D

BUT THEN AGAIN if I only play 15 hours or so, it will be the best game ever, according to the GAF hate squad.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm not going to finish this probably.
Like with the majority of Final Fantasy games I own I will make it up to the final boss battle and then quit due to the fact of my party being too weak.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well, I'll finish it, but it's going to take a long time.

That's better. My plan is to at least get through the story before Zelda comes out, play Zelda until Christmas break (which isn't long after the 19th of Nov.) and then play them more in-depth over break, as well as Castlevania, and finishing Okami.

Like with the majority of Final Fantasy games I own I will make it up to the final boss battle and then quit due to the fact of my party being too weak.

They're not that hard... final battles in FF games are notoriously simple, except for FF8 but that game is a bastard and makes you go through numerous fights.

Y2Kev

brandonh83 said:
That's better. My plan is to at least get through the story before Zelda comes out, play Zelda until Christmas break (which isn't long after the 19th of Nov.) and then play them more in-depth over break, as well as Castlevania, and finishing Okami.

They're not that hard... final battles in FF games are notoriously simple, except for FF8 but that game is a bastard and makes you go through numerous fights.

My problem is just that there's SO MUCH AWESOME out now and coming out that I take a brief swig of everything and keep moving just so I can have the particular experience/catharsis of each particular game. FF is different though...I've never not finished one.

I've played Okami for about five hours and I want to play it, but now I'm playing Bully and Splinter Cell. I'll probably beat SC cause it's relatively short. Bully...not likely. I got another five hours there. Then FFXII...then Gears, then Rainbow Six, then PS3, then Wii.

THERE IS NO TIME. And this doesn't even count DS and PSP stuff.

*looks at History of the Peloponnesian war*

CURSE YOU GREEKS

brandonh83 said:
FF8 is one of the few games I saw through till the end. I'm at the last boss in FFIX and FFX, but quit due to my weak characters.

And I just remembered, goddamn FF3 for DS is coming out in like 14 days after FFXII release. Noooooo! And then Zelda, noooooooo!

Y2Kev

brandonh83 said:
:lol I'm in sort of the same boat, but college is really the thing hurting my playtime.

Basically. Between midterms and the reading load, I really don't have the time for a ton of games anymore. I'll play maybe an hour or two on the weekend nights...it's nowhere near enough to beat a Zelda or a Final Fantasy. :(

Christmas Break IS a month though.

Benadryl Hitman said:
FF8 is one of the few games I saw through till the end. I'm at the last boss in FFIX and FFX.

And I just remembered, goddamn FF3 for DS is coming out in like 14 days after FFXII release. Noooooo!

Haha yeah, everything is coming out... I hate when they do this. To me the first and second third of 2006 was extremely boring. Xenosaga III is really what kicked it off for me.

edit: that's ALL I'M DOING over break. For a whole month. I'll eat, shit, piss, shower, sleep, and game. Maybe talk to my girlfriend on the phone at times. That's all. Anyone that gets in my way will meet my Pokemans

I might also exercise SOME to keep my arteries relatively unclogged

Y2Kev

brandonh83 said:
Haha yeah, everything is coming out... I hate when they do this. To me the first and second third of 2006 was extremely boring. Xenosaga III is really what kicked it off for me.

edit: that's ALL I'M DOING over break. For a whole month. I'll eat, shit, piss, shower, sleep, and game. Maybe talk to my girlfriend on the phone at times. That's all. Anyone that gets in my way will meet my Pokemans

I might also exercise SOME to keep my arteries relatively unclogged

I played NO GAMES this summer, other than Shitbag Prey of Shitty Shittitude. Oh, and Valkyrie Profile, which I beat in like four days.

So this is what you get, retards: stagger your game releases or something inevitably gets lost in the shuffle. Yeah, that's the ticket. It's Ubisoft's fault. Or something.

I hate how games have "shipping" dates as their release dates.

The ads say this game comes out on October 31, 2006... and goddamnit, it should be in my hands on October 31, 2006. Not November 1st. :D

Why can't video games just get released on Tuesdays like movies and CDs? :(

Johnas

TheJollyCorner said:

The ads say this game comes out on October 31, 2006... and goddamnit, it should be in my hands on October 31, 2006. Not November 1st. :D

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it (from game stores, anyway) on Tuesday, probably first thing. In this instance (like with Halo 2) the game should arrive a few days early, they're just not allowed to sell it until the 31st. I'm pretty sure this is what my local GS's manager said.

Ancestor said:
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it (from game stores, anyway) on Tuesday, probably first thing. In this instance (like with Halo 2) the game should arrive a few days early, they're just not allowed to sell it until the 31st. I'm pretty sure this is what my local GS's manager said.

that's what I was wondering, since it has more of a fanfarish release than most games... :D

kenta

Has no PEINS
Welcome to the real world, Kev. Games get pushed to the backburner as more important things pop up, your backlog fills up and even more important things pop up. I get 1-2 hours of gaming per night, 3 if I'm lucky, and I intentionally deprive myself of sleep to do it. You're a man now!

brandonh83 said:

There's never enough time. Will have a few weeks for FF12 in between school before Zelda:TP comes out. Got the weekend after Thanksgiving to play the game(since we dont get out until the day before-SUCKARS). Then, I have Semester Exams 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. I wont have as much time as Id have liked in Zelda:TP's first month, but it will be worth every nanosecond :)

EBGames finally placed a charge on my bank account for my FFXII LE preorder. Too bad it won't ship until next Tuesday... right? No chance of shipping early?

I'll probably put in an hour or two a night, and attempt to finish it off on Veterans Day as I have the day off but my wife doesn't.

TheJollyCorner said:

All the ads say IN STORE 10.31.06.

In fact, GameStop locations across the country are having a midnight release of the game... so you can get it the moment the clock turns to Oct 31. Monday night.

EDIT: Already covered it looks like. Well, there it is.

Simo

TheJollyCorner said:
that's what I was wondering, since it has more of a fanfarish release than most games... :D

Copies are supposed to come in this week, most likely with this Tuesday's releases so it should be available next Tuesday which is why alot of EB/GameStop stores are doing the midnight launch.

I wonder if there's a chance for early release?

I remember when FFVII (and FFX) got released a few days earlier than the 'official' release dates in my area. That was nice. :)

TheJollyCorner said:
I remember when FFVII (and FFX) got released a few days earlier than the 'official' release dates in my area. That was nice. :)

Square released a small number of copies of FFX for all those that preordered. So while most people didn't get it until 2002, a small group of diehards got the game in December 2001.

demi

I remember being surprised about FFX's early released. Just called in and they were like "ya we got it", so we went up and picked it up without a preorder.

Then I beat it before him (he bought it) and he cried. Owned.

Alts

Backlog problems?

My house was robbed a few weeks ago. So now I am buying games for consoles that I no longer actually own. God knows when I get to start Okami over again. Not to mention Devil Summoner, Tales of the Abyss, and inevitably, FF12.

The end game story falling apart worries me. "Out of left field" is rather extreme, isn't it.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear.

About the story falling apart... I always hear complaints online that I disagree with. Not that I don't think the people saying that are wrong or that they have no credibility, no, no... it's just that I oftentimes strongly disagree with other opinions, I mean when it comes to anything. Not just games. My opinions always seem to differ from the "norm," if there is such a thing.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Hopefully the story doesnt fall apart as some have said. DDS2 was like that; it was such an amazing game with great combat and a great story, but the story just fell apart in the last few hours. Maybe I will end up disagreeing with those people who say that the story falls apart in the end, after all I thought that MGS2 had a brilliant story even though most people thought it was crap.

Welcome to the final week ladies and gents!

vaancy5.jpg

I read part of the translated script and wow, this has to be some of the best writing I've ever seen for a game.

Extremely minor stuff but I'll tag it anyway---

Vaan: Penelo, do you think we can go to the party tonight?

Penelo: You must be joking! We weren't invited so there's no way we can get
in the palace.

Vaan: Ok. So how are we going to get in then?

:lol :lol :lol

Yoboman

Lemme say this game is INSANELY good, I won't go any further though.

brandonh83 said:
I read part of the translated script and wow, this has to be some of the best writing I've ever seen for a game.

Extremely minor stuff but I'll tag it anyway---

Vaan: Penelo, do you think we can go to the party tonight?

Penelo: You must be joking! We weren't invited so there's no way we can get
in the palace.

Vaan: Ok. So how are we going to get in then?

:lol :lol :lol

I dunno if you're joking, but yes the writing is amazing.

Ikse

I just saw a video of a summoning in battle and it fights along side Vaan. He then went on to fight trash in the zone, it only lasted a minute. However, I would like to know, how long does the Esper stay by your side? I couldnt tell if there was a bar going down until it disappeared, or does it simply stay with you until you dismiss it/dies?

SpokkX

Ikse said:
I just saw a video of a summoning in battle and it fights along side Vaan. He then went on to fight trash in the zone, it only lasted a minute. However, I would like to know, how long does the Esper stay by your side? I couldnt tell if there was a bar going down until it disappeared, or does it simply stay with you until you dismiss it/dies?

It stays until it dies or the summoner dies or... if it stays long enough i launches a "large attack", that does lots of damage and features lots of animation in the same style as the old FF-summons. Then it disappears.

They summons, though cool, weren´t powerful at all . Used them maybe 5 times throughout the entire game. Think you can level them up in some way though.

The battlesystem in general is godly so I didn´t bother

Yoboman said:
I dunno if you're joking, but yes the writing is amazing.

Hm... not sure what I said that would indicate that I'm joking, but nah, I'm not. I'm very impressed with the scenes I've read. The scene I highlighted isn't really what I considered to be some of the best stuff, I just thought it was a funny scene--in case that's what confused you.

Fady K

brandonh83 said:
:lol I'm in sort of the same boat, but college is really the thing hurting my playtime.

Yes...exactly...i spent 4-5 days on just Rule of Rose (10 hour game) because of busy college days.

Yoboman

brandonh83 said:
Hm... not sure what I said that would indicate that I'm joking, but nah, I'm not. I'm very impressed with the scenes I've read. The scene I highlighted isn't really what I considered to be some of the best stuff, I just thought it was a funny scene--in case that's what confused you.
Yeah it was pretty humorous, the game is pretty funny actually. The bestiary descriptions are plain awesome :lol

Fady K said:
Yes...exactly...i spent 4-5 days on just Rule of Rose (10 hour game) because of busy college days.

Sucks doesn't it? I managed to get through Xenosaga III, but at the start of the semester when I wasn't too busy. Now? I'm scriptwriter, 1st camera op, and director nominee for the college film club and that combined with work = NO TIME. I've had Okami for like a month and I'm only halfway through it. That sucks. But FFXII... I will make time. I have to. The wait has been so long.

Top Bottom