• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

TTT2 is officially GAF's Fighting game of 2012:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509141

:)

OUt of the total games it got 31st out of 361.

tumblr_m6z9v4jT9j1qf0mnn.gif

----------

PS does anybody got a layout for the Madcatz SCV stick? I want to change the artwork for that but the button layout is different...

Robin64

Are the Wii U players playing with the Gamepad? I want to pick this up today but the controller that comes with the U is all I have right now.

Sayah

Are the Wii U players playing with the Gamepad? I want to pick this up today but the controller that comes with the U is all I have right now.

As far as I've heard from previews/reviews, gamepad works fine too.

Letsee....

Not TxSF nor is it Tekken 7 (lol, who's expecting that now) so something else entirely or something new for TTT2.

Console characters and stages incoming for arcades I think. MASTERCUP or AOU sounds like some great times to announce something like that.

EDIT: Oh, what odd timing:

https://twitter.com/Leearigold/status/293354661220610048

Might be here faster then I thought.

Hoping it's Tekken ball for PS360. Console content for arcades would be good too.

braves01

Banned
DEATH™;46696510 said:
Really? That sucks... Tekken Ball ruined :p

There are other songs that play too. Vs. matches seem to randomly play one of a few songs, but one of the Tekken Ball championships plays that song exclusively the entire time so you'll hear it 5 times minimum.

The Gamepad works fine from my experience. I bought a Tatsunoko stick to use with this game but actually prefer the pad for difficult matches because I'm so bad with a stick.

I will play this and like it.

Robin64

I did beat her, but no, everything before her was a pushover even though it's my first ever playthrough. You might consider her easy, but the jump in difficulty was there and it was big.

GrayFoxPL

I did beat her, but no, everything before her was a pushover even though it's my first ever playthrough. You might consider her easy, but the jump in difficulty was there and it was big.

Point of a boss is to not be easy. She has nothing on T5 vanila Jinpachi. Now that was a boss.

Robin64

Anyway. Given I am completely new (my last Tekken was on the Playstation), are there any suggestions on who I should attempt to learn first? Like, someone suitable for beginners?

For reference, I beat Arcade mode with Miharu and Leo. Leo seemed excellent but Miharu seemed just "okay".

Edit: Oh, and will the Wii U get this World Tekken Federation stuff? I see things from November via Google saying it will get it, but..

GrayFoxPL

Anyway. Given I am completely new (my last Tekken was on the Playstation), are there any suggestions on who I should attempt to learn first? Like, someone suitable for beginners?

For reference, I beat Arcade mode with Miharu and Leo. Leo seemed excellent but Miharu seemed just "okay".

Depends on the type of characters you like. Leo is great, but you need to memorize her huge moveset. If you have fun with her no point in learning Paul who is way more straightforward.

For easier characters people are using Lili, Alisa, Laws, Paul, Dragunov, Asuka, Mashing Beak and Hwoarang. Doesn't mean they're easy to master, but easier to start with the basic, Hwoarang is complicated if you actually want to know what you're doing.

But I would neglect the "beginner"(not really) characters and just learn character you like most in style.

Sayah

Semi-Tekken related post. Just wanted to praise NAMCO. Would have created a thread but I don't want my post to be taken as me marketing their games or anything similar. Well anyway, gaming wouldn't be the same this gen. for me without these people. They have satisfied my craving for the two (maybe the only) genres I am most interested in (fighting games and JRPG's).

They deserve praise:

1). For Tekken Tag 2. They did everything right with this game. 10 years later, people will still be looking back at this game as a monumental contribution to the fighting genre. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best and most complete fighter to date.

Tekken-Tag-Tournament-2-PS3.jpg

2). For Soul Calibur V. I'm just getting into this and it's phenomenal. It's stunning to look at. The fighting is extremely satisfying. The new characters are very interesting. Character DLC and roster changes aside, it's a powerhouse 3D fighter with top notch production values.

sc5wide1.jpg

3). For Dark Souls. My favorite single player experience from this gen. Thanks of course have to go to From Software for the actual work but Namco did an amazing job publishing, marketing and promoting this game and then bringing it to PC. This game stands with Tekken Tag 2 as an excellent example of DLC done right.

dark-souls-logo.jpg

4). For localizing titles that no one thought would get localized. Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Project X Zone, etc.

project_x_zone.jpeg

5). For the future. Namco's collaboration with Nintendo for Smash Bros. 4 sounds very promising. I can not wait for more details on Tekken X Street Fighter. And I am looking forward to Dark Souls II with great anticipation.

nJib1.jpg

And, as a bonus, the Namco devs and members I know about (through their twitter feeds, gaming news, etc.) are very friendly and very community-oriented.

Robin64

Okay, I absolutely love Alisa. I was generally destroying people around my skill level online with her last night. First character I feel like I can pull off the move I intend when I want.

Okay, I absolutely love Alisa. I was generally destroying people around my skill level online with her last night. First character I feel like I can pull off the move I intend when I want.

It's amazing the amount of people that don't know how to break (or just don't) her head exploding move. Awesome.

Double post, sorry! meant to edit the post above. >_>

2). For Soul Calibur V. I'm just getting into this and it's phenomenal. It's stunning to look at. The fighting is extremely satisfying. The new characters are very interesting. Character DLC and roster changes aside, it's a powerhouse 3D fighter with top notch production values.

Agree with your whole list except for this. To me, this game was one foot forward, two back. Yes, the netcode was good, and gameplay was solid.

They gutted the roster, took away fan favorites, and wasted 4 slots on two characters, not to mention wasting 3 spots on random select.

Oh, not to mention the horrible Single Player modes. As this is not a SC thread I'll stop there, but like I said, I enjoyed everything else in your post.

mr_boo

Alright, I need some tips ... I get pretty salty whenever I play against a "good" Lars player. I have no real strategy on what to do against this guy. His has high prioritization moves that aren't really punishable, all his moves are like mid attacks, and then he has evasive rushdown moves that I have idea at this point on how to break. Is side walking the solution? Cause it seems like some of his rushdown moves track at the very end. I just can never seem to stop his attack flow and before I know it, 3/4 of my life is gone.

Alright, I need some tips ... I get pretty salty whenever I play against a "good" Lars player. I have no real strategy on what to do against this guy. His has high prioritization moves that aren't really punishable, all his moves are like mid attacks, and then he has evasive rushdown moves that I have idea at this point on how to break. Is side walking the solution? Cause it seems like some of his rushdown moves track at the very end. I just can never seem to stop his attack flow and before I know it, 3/4 of my life is gone.

The solution is to pray my brother ;_;

GrayFoxPL

Block high 90% of the time, 10% dedicate on learning to block his d1+2 smash. Throw a lot. I always wait for that retarded flying knee and throw. Also Lars during his dash stances is vulnerable, he can't really attack non stop, it just looks that way. Punish him mid dash string for a counter hit. Throw a lot. Many Lars players just want to attack and impatiently get up with flying knee or ws2. Just wait for it and punish. And seriously throw a lot.

Sayah

Double post, sorry! meant to edit the post above. >_>

Agree with your whole list except for this. To me, this game was one foot forward, two back. Yes, the netcode was good, and gameplay was solid.

They gutted the roster, took away fan favorites, and wasted 4 slots on two characters, not to mention wasting 3 spots on random select.

Oh, not to mention the horrible Single Player modes. As this is not a SC thread I'll stop there, but like I said, I enjoyed everything else in your post.

I can definitely see why SCV may not have been favored by fans. I do wish the game had received the same attention as TTT2. But the features that are missing are things that I can live without. I haven't followed the SC franchise that heavily so character changes didn't impact me as much. And lack of offline content is also no big problem for me as long as they got the standard training mode and vs. battles. That isn't to say other people won't find issue with these missing features. But aside from that, I think the game is really amazing.

Yeah. Namco did good this gen. Definitely my favourite Japanese publisher outside of Nintendo in recent years.

Yeah, Nintendo is the other publisher that's done a pretty good job. It took awhile but they also managed to get all of their rainfall games localized. Thanks to Xseed, of course.

Lars
CounterClockwise / Sidestep Right

Move your character primarily to thier right to evade him.

u/f+3
7th frame high crush
13th frame low crush
-21 ~ -20 on block

From these frame facts, it is oddly better to poke Lars low, even though he has a big jump kick. Also, when you block you can punish him hard. It just requires you to immediately attack as soon as you do block, because he can block soon after he lands.

The strategy is calm pressure. You do not want to let Lars control the pace just because he can basically "shoryuken". Find an understanding of the most common situations that a Lars goes for broke with big moves. Once you get that then you can bait them into them, then block and punish.

AAK

Semi-Tekken related post. Just wanted to praise NAMCO. Would have created a thread but I don't want my post to be taken as me marketing their games or anything similar. Well anyway, gaming wouldn't be the same this gen. for me without these people. They have satisfied my craving for the two (maybe the only) genres I am most interested in (fighting games and JRPG's).

They deserve praise:

1). For Tekken Tag 2. They did everything right with this game. 10 years later, people will still be looking back at this game as a monumental contribution to the fighting genre. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best and most complete fighter to date.

Tekken-Tag-Tournament-2-PS3.jpg

sc5wide1.jpg

3). For Dark Souls. My favorite single player experience from this gen. Thanks of course have to go to From Software for the actual work but Namco did an amazing job publishing, marketing and promoting this game and then bringing it to PC. This game stands with Tekken Tag 2 as an excellent example of DLC done right.

dark-souls-logo.jpg

4). For localizing titles that no one thought would get localized. Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Project X Zone, etc.

project_x_zone.jpeg

5). For the future. Namco's collaboration with Nintendo for Smash Bros. 4 sounds very promising. I can not wait for more details on Tekken X Street Fighter. And I am looking forward to Dark Souls II with great anticipation.

nJib1.jpg

And, as a bonus, the Namco devs and members I know about (through their twitter feeds, gaming news, etc.) are very friendly and very community-oriented.

Man.... this post is really making me want to go out and buy SCV... but along with TTT2, i also am planning to get back into sfxt with the 2013 update. No time at all :(

Unfortunately i could never get into rpg’s but Namco is definitely on a roll with them. Im also hearing a lot of good things surrounding Ni No Kuni as well. Here's to hoping for an entertaining next generation from Namco :)

Sayah

Man.... this post is really making me want to go out and buy SCV... but along with TTT2, i also am planning to get back into sfxt with the 2013 update. No time at all :(

Unfortunately i could never get into rpg’s but Namco is definitely on a roll with them. Im also hearing a lot of good things surrounding Ni No Kuni as well. Here's to hoping for an entertaining next generation from Namco :)

I would say SCV is worth it even though I just started playing it. But yeah, you might not get time to play it if you already have a lot of other games to focus on. I'm in the same boat. TTT2 will continue being my main game but I'm also looking forward to trying out Ver. 2013 for SFXTK. Still haven't bought the DLC characters and I don't know if I should.

As far as RPG's, games like Demon's/Dark Souls have certain barriers to overcome before they become enjoyable. Once you get past the frustrations, it's literally one of the most rewarding gameplay experiences you'll have. I know you couldn't get into Demon's Souls. If you ever get the chance, maybe give Dark Souls a shot? It's still difficult but I would say it's more player friendly than Demon's Souls. Also try Valkyria Chronicles if you haven't already. It's not like your typical RPG.

mr_boo

All - thanks for the tips..

The solution is to pray my brother ;_;
heh

GrayFoxPL said:
Block high 90% of the time, 10% dedicate on learning to block his d1+2 smash. Throw a lot. I always wait for that retarded flying knee and throw. Also Lars during his dash stances is vulnerable, he can't really attack non stop, it just looks that way. Punish him mid dash string for a counter hit. Throw a lot. Many Lars players just want to attack and impatiently get up with flying knee or ws2. Just wait for it and punish. And seriously throw a lot.
Will try ... it's one of those things where I hope my slow brain can adapt too. Punishing his dash strings during the middle of the flow must really be a timing issue, cause I always seem to fail. The throw tip though is something I'll definitely try out - thanks for that. I'll have to hit the lab to test things out.

Doomshine said:
I think one of his sides is weaker, but I forget which one. Also his lows are not terrific and the ones that hurt or annoy the most are really punishable.

NinthPixel said:
Lars
CounterClockwise / Sidestep Right

Move your character primarily to thier right to evade him.

u/f+3
7th frame high crush
13th frame low crush
-21 ~ -20 on block

From these frame facts, it is oddly better to poke Lars low, even though he has a big jump kick. Also, when you block you can punish him hard. It just requires you to immediately attack as soon as you do block, because he can block soon after he lands.

The strategy is calm pressure. You do not want to let Lars control the pace just because he can basically "shoryuken". Find an understanding of the most common situations that a Lars goes for broke with big moves. Once you get that then you can bait them into them, then block and punish.
Good stuff, thanks for that. I'll have to hit the practice lab. TBH, I didn't know that some moves have different frame data for high/low crushes and I thought u/f+3 must be safe on block. Funny how you called that move "shoryuken", cause that's basically what I've been calling that move in my head.

Yeah she's probably the best beginner character in the game. Nice set of tools with room to grow from her base set of moves. She's most definitely bottom tier but a good place to start. Also try to get her uf+1+2 throw on an opponents back or sides. Do it in practice just to see. Hilarious.

Love that sexy SF artwork on Harada's twitter. He can take all the time he needs on TekkenvsSF. It will be glorious, I know.

Also, love that Ace Attorney guys there. :D

Also, I'm up for some PS3 TTT2 tonight if anyone's free.

AAK

DEATH™;46773591 said:
BTW GGs AAK!!!

I gotta improve more...

PS you know some of those guys in the lobby?

GG's man, yeah, the Regular Jin player was a dude I met when I travelled to Toronto. Really really solid. I only beat him in the tournament with Hwoarang gimmicks. When I play him in long sets he destroys me.

The Bryan/Bob player is Mohammed. He lives in my city and is my tormentor. He came to Ottawa around 15 months ago from Kuwait and is pretty much the best player here (out of the 5 of us lol)

And honestly... the fanservice is reaching insane limits now... I drew the line @ Anna's alt outfit.

Top Bottom