• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Narolf

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46511212&postcount=376

Referring to the Distant Worlds concert that took place in Paris last week-end.

I'll be posting here the pictures I took once I found my camera's usb cord.

Long overdue but here they are, folks. Ended up purchasing a new camera since that one was more than six years old. I'll eventually try to sell it online without the cord.

Concert consisted in them playing music from past orchestral FF concerts, such as 20020220 or Tour de Japon, meaning it's easy to keep track on the music that was played at any given time by resorting to Youtube.

Respective tracks are hyper-linked.

Great experience overall, fond memories; albeit those still don't hold a candle to Hamauzu November concert's in my book, which was naturally more intimate. My only grief was that they didn't play tracks from XIII-2, but that is it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've always wanted to go to one of these things. Haven't seen a symphony in a while.

Distant Worlds came to Toronto in 2010 but it was crunch time for my thesis and we couldn't go. It came to Toronto in 2012 but we couldn't go because we just learned about it on short notice and good tickets sold fast.

Meh. Someday. If they're still doing it. I've been told multiple times that these things were made for me. *shrug*

I just feel like the dress code might be awkward if the Zelda concerts are anything to go by. I usually buy a new dress or skirt/blouse combo if I'm going to see the symphony because it's usually formal. But these seem... not formal? I dunno.

You don't have to worry about a dress code for those concerts. I dressed up but I looked out of place compared to a lot of the concertgoers.

Oh there was, just the Prelude or Main theme version from it.

In a battle medley where I expected a battle theme. Preferably Nail of Heaven.

;_;

Know what I want. FF Orchestra for Tactics.

Calling it "Battle medley I-XIV" and not having anything from XIV aside the Prelude theme (that is the same for all the games) was a masterful trolling from S-E lol.
However, the disc was great so I'll live with the disappoinment (what I expected the most from this CD was hearing a battle piece from XIV together with the resf of the series' music /cry )

You don't have to worry about a dress code for those concerts. I dressed up but I looked out of place compared to a lot of the concertgoers.

I wore a Tonberry hoodie to Distant Worlds and was worried it'd be too casual. Then I saw the lady in a full sized Moogle suit.

Any GAFers going to Final Symphony (London) in May?

Tizoc

Ya know what? I'm thinking once I'm done with Lollipop Chainsaw, I'll replay FF13 on PS3.
This time I'll play it without grinding in Gran Pulse.
Basically once I reach Gran Pulse: Finish Cie'th missions, go to next area, finish Cie'th missions, etc.
Won't bother with any of the harder Cie'th missions though.

Narolf

Banned
Realized I forgot one picture in my report.

They were also selling FF goods so that I picked up FFVII Ultimania and Anniversary Ultimania with the former signed by Uematsu while he was making autographs at the end of the concert.

You could always sell video game things to pay for it, there's a good market here.

Good point.

Your post allows me to do something I wanted to for quite some time now: showing off my gaming setup and collection to you guys. I know there is already a thread for that in Gaming, but I prefer our cozy Community Thread rather than the hoi polloi.

http://i.imgur.com/Pp1Sq0r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UnbfH5g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CJX4Q3k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u3URqPF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MJXCH3R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8RRB8N5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6lbzTau.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GwmTO5O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sFWZftD.png

http://i.imgur.com/LjNnFLl.png

Using a bridge rather than the PS3's Wifi for Adhoc Party.

So, Jaxword, there must be more than 500 € in that drawer, and that's without counting the XIII-2's Crystal edition (120€), which is on its way as we speak. However, by no mean do I intend to sell any of those for the E3, rather I will keep them if I appear to run short of money to offer prizes for this kind of event.

The E3 should cost me, like, 2K€ for a week-end, counting the plane tickets, hotel and food. Needless to say I don't have that amount of money in my pocket just yet. I can earn 1K€ a month with my current qualifications. It's very low, but granted I never worked before (been a student this whole time), it remains fair game. I will earn the money within the span of two months and it'll be reached by April if I start working on the next month. Better forecasting a margin to be safe.

Surely 2013 is going to be a year full of promises for me. Last year was terrible, I was effectively hibernating in that cold spring. Now, I'm tired of waiting for the warm spring, but I don't intend to remain asleep all along, hence me looking for a job now.

Wow, your setup is very clean, Narolf! Love your decked-out Dissidia profile too. :D

I played some more FFIX, up past Lindblum to the Grotto boss. Enjoying it more and more. I really like RPGs with great party interaction and this game uses them quite wisely, keeping me engaged with charming little scenes that slowly unfold the characters while not going overboard with hackneyed, tired interactions that risk forcing the characters into trite roles. The village of Dali was a wonderful breather -- a great sequence for the characters and the unfurling plot, and even all these years later I was pretty on-board with the
airship
sequence and all of the accompanying CG. Lindblum was a beautiful city that really showcased the captivating detail put into Square's prerendered backgrounds, bathed with warm sunlight and full of dilating airship ports and forests of smokestacks, with grand, wide cobbled spaces that actually look like they're inhabited by real people. And the Festival of the Hunt was kinda cool.

Gotta give a special hats-off to Vivi, who pretty much tugs at my heartstrings every five minutes. When the party first stepped into Dali and he got all excited about the windmill he instantly became my favorite character. I really like his interactions with Zidane, whose cheeky nature softens to play a sort of supportive big-brother role. Once again, the small animation-related touches -- like
Vivi being the only character who takes a step back at the mention of the clones in the grotto
, or Dagger lightly and reassuringly placing her hand on Vivi's back -- go a long way in endearing the cast. Steiner's still a jerk, but I can definitely see him slowly coming along.

My only complaint is, of course, the battles, which are certainly something of a slog. The encounter rate is a little high in the dungeons and the startup to the fights, with its dramatically swiveling camera angles, can be quite frustrating while trying to get from point A to point B. But it certainly hasn't killed all of the enjoyment I've had so far.

The battles can be a bit slow at times in IX. It gets a bit better once you get some of the Auto abilities like Haste and such but I guess I didn't hate them so much because I thought the battle music was one of the best for the games, it's really energetic and gets the blood pumping. The encounter rate is high though, I guess they were trying to go back to the basics and that meant the encounter rate too!

LuuKyK

sFWZftD.png

Time: 1066:15:02

Are you kidding me Narolf? @_@

Xux

Man, I wanna play Dissidia. Been trying to decide between a PSP and Duodecim, BBS, CC etc. and a 3DS for awhile.

LuuKyK

Man, I wanna play Dissidia. Been trying to decide between a PSP and Duodecim, BBS, CC etc. and a 3DS for awhile.

Well, Duodecim (dont bother with the first Dissidia, its included in Duodecim) is one of my favorite games of the generation, so yeah...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I loved Dissidia, for me the best attempt S-E made at an action game. It's also full of content and that always helps. Really funny and done with competence.

Ezi0

PSP, mate! Duodecim is a cracking game. Same with Crisis Core and BBS. I'm sure you can nab a PSP on the cheap nowadays.

I'll be buying it again from PSN (it's on sale) later this week so I can slap it on my Vita.

Dissidia is pretty awesome all round, though generally I prefer the original to Duodecim. Mostly due to gameplay changes (adding assists, nerfing EX Mode etc), though the story seemed a bit of a downgrade too. Still, great games the both of them.

Would sell my soul to Toriyama for a third or Dissidia HD.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy XIII progress report #1

Welp just finished Prologue 1 in FF13. Skipping cutscenes+avoiding as many enemies as possible lets you complete it in less than 1 hour.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My gaming setup's all cluttered, lol. Some of my games are in containers in my closet (ex: games I don't play often, my Pico stuff, some of my older systems, etc.). My Famicom and Famicom Disk System are in there too. I need to find a container to put some of the current-gen stuff away that I'm not playing as well. I have some of my NES games and GBA games in drawers.

My Genesis and SNES stuff stay pretty close to my gaming area, but that's because I have the SNES hooked up and it's easy to swap it out for the Genesis anyway. My backlog pile is on my desk as well.

jaxword said:
Given the trickle of info about Agni coming out, I wonder if they really do plan to make it a game.
Semi-related, because I know it's just something used to render CG stuff in real-time, but man I never really liked how FF become so cutscene-heavy since FF6 (though it was understandable then because the Mode-7 scenes were so short). It takes up a lot of time and I could just scroll through the dialogue by reading it if there are textboxes. They're skippable, yes, but by skipping, I'm not going to be connected with the quests I'm carrying out.

I feel like I'm in the minority. :/

CorvoSol

Man, I thought I'd clocked in time with nearly 250 hours on Duodecim. Narolf must be pro at the game at this point. Also must know his way around that godawful labyrinth.

Semi-related, because I know it's just something used to render CG stuff in real-time, but man I never really liked how FF become so cutscene-heavy since FF6 (though it was understandable then because the Mode-7 scenes were so short). It takes up a lot of time and I could just scroll through the dialogue by reading it if there are textboxes. They're skippable, yes, but by skipping, I'm not going to be connected with the quests I'm carrying out.

I wouldn't mind so much if I felt the cutscenes told stories worth telling, which I can't honestly say I remember that ever being the case since FFT.

That said, they need to try and find more interactive means of storytelling instead of talking at you for several minutes.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Man, I thought I'd clocked in time with nearly 250 hours on Duodecim. Narolf must be pro at the game at this point. Also must know his way around that godawful labyrinth.

And a plethora of Tournaments. Which ideally consists assist spamming and safe attacks. Which is boring.

CorvoSol

And a plethora of Tournaments. Which ideally consists assist spamming and safe attacks. Which is boring.

Magius, if I had wifi in my pad, I would challenge you to a 'bez vs 'mesh match. You would win, and I would be utterly humiliated, but it would be fun.

The cutscenes in FF6 were great and awesome and your wrong opinion on good FF games astounds me.

ASTOUNDS ME. TO MY CORE. WHICH IS MY CENTER.

CorvoSol

Oh Corvo, your fierce defense of FFVI amuses me greatly.

Hey man, we all have our one thing we have to defend beyond rational reason. Otherwise, there'd be no nerd fights, and all our time and energy might go to something useful.

Golbez is terrible in Dissidia. Do you really main him?
tape.gif

What? Maybe in the first Dissidia, but in Duodecim Golbez is a total boss. Glare Hand Cosmic Ray is LIFE.

But no, I actually main Terra, even if she did get nerfed.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, what's the consensus on Final Fantasy XII? It seems to be the least talked-about game in the series. Is it worth playing now? For curiosity's sake I looked around some best-of-PS2 lists and it seemed to be missing whereas FFX appeared more than once (and I didn't like one that much, it was the game that put me off the franchise in the first place).

Underappreciated? Rightfully ignored? What say you, GAF connoisseurs?

jaxword

So guys, what's the consensus on Final Fantasy XII? It seems to be the least talked-about game in the series. Is it worth playing now? For curiosity's sake I looked around some best-of-PS2 lists and it seemed to be missing whereas FFX appeared more than once (and I didn't like one that much, it was the game that put me off the franchise in the first place).

Imagine we live in a different universe.

Imagine the Mona Lisa being painted.

Imagine that Da Vinci was not satisfied, never satisfied, and kept on adding more and more details until he mentally broke down and it was only 3/4 done, but the Pope demanded it finished that day,

Imagine another artist had to rush in and finish the painting.

And it WAS finished, but there always seemed to be something a little off, like a cup that is 3/4 full. Which means it's definitely good, but it feels like something is missing.

And now we see it in a museum today. You can see the greatness, the genius of the artwork...but it's obviously unfinished. The good-intentions of the replacement artist just make it even more a tragedy since his attempt makes it even more obvious that it was ALMOST perfect.

It COULD have been perfect, one of the greatest works of art, but because of the obvious unfinished parts, that perfection is marred forever.

Seda

It has my favorite dialogue in the series. Otherwise FF games have so much variance in what people think about them, you pretty much have to just try it yourself to see.

It's good, but not top tier Final Fantasy on it's own.

International Zodiac Job System on the other hand...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Its Ultimecia actually, her Knight Lance is like a giant middle finger to everyone.

You do realize you won't be able to convince me.

Especially with all things considered ExDeath dominates.

He can block all assists and has guard cancels, retarded good assist building because of guard canceling and he's ExDeath.

In a pure battle with no assists at highest possible playable ability ExDeath is bound to come on top.

LOL at the implication that Shantotto is awful.

Yeah Shantotto is pretty good, especially in Duodecim. If you're talking about competitive Dissidia (pvp) then she wouldn't even be in the bottom half in the rankings.

Worst characters are Onion Knight (linear, predictable attacks that do weak damage and leave him wide open) and Sephiroth (woeful brave game, mediocre to bad HP game outside Scintilla). The best character is Exdeath.

That all said, there's not as profound a difference in Duodecim as in the original Dissidia due to assists, which are kinda game breaking IMO.

SougoXIII

You do realize you won't be able to convince me.

Especially with all things considered ExDeath dominates.

He can block all assists and has guard cancels, retarded good assist building because of guard canceling and he's ExDeath.

In a pure battle with no assists at highest possible playable ability ExDeath is bound to come on top.

It doesn't matter how good you are at Exdeath, there are things you cannot Omniblock by reaction. Fighting Exdeath is all about mindgames since sooner or later he will have to guess what you will do next. Furthermore, characters like Ultimecia doesn't have to worry about Exdeath's block since most of her move are projectile so even if Exdeath block them, she does not stagger and can still dodge. Any Exdeath match is bound to be a long one though.

Here let me show you some evidence. Both matches are from the Grand Final/ Loser bracket final of a major tournament so that speak volumes of both players' skill not to mention xffixbmlx is consider to be the best Exdeath in the community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_974vcl5I&list=PL75319F83A2F6237F&index=89
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnUVCdb-D8&playnext=1&list=PL9637299211E5B5B4&feature=results_video

Top Bottom