• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Tizoc

Help me out in FF Tactics GAF-
I'm 1 on 1 against Weigraf, Ramza's a ninja but the most damage he is doing is 50 per attack =_= I am Lvl. 30-ish.
Note to self: Sell off the fucking Potions so AutoPotion uses HiPotions from now on.

Noi

I'm 1 on 1 against Weigraf, Ramza's a ninja but the most damage he is doing is 50 per attack =_= I am Lvl. 30-ish.
Note to self: Sell off the fucking Potions so AutoPotion uses HiPotions from now on.

Yell and Accumulate are your best friends.

Wazzy

Banned
Yell and Accumulate are your best friends.

This.

Did you save before the fight so that you can't return? I did that and was forced to do the Squire strategy. I didn't have Yell but I had Tailwind so I just kept using Tailwind until I was outrunning him by about 4-5 turns. It takes longer but it's the easiest way of beating him.

Labadal

Reading the last few Final Fantasy threads in the gaming forum is making me sad. Not because I diagree with what is said in them. This got me thinking that the idea with Final Fantasy Dimensions was an interesting idea. I don't think the execution and price plan were ideal, but it was still something I'd like to see more of: 2D based old school Final Fantasy games. The thing is that I'd love to see something like that with 16 bit graphics for XBLA/PSN/VC/PC/Phones. Don't charge for different chapters, just offer a good, solid 20-40 hour game that we can enjoy without the hassle of in-game purchases and other annoying things. A game like that shouldn't require a big team, and if you're going to make smaller games, why not give this a try?

Would people even be interested in something like this or is this just me being nostalgic?

Noi

Reading the last few Final Fantasy threads in the gaming forum is making me sad. Not because I diagree with what is said in them. This got me thinking that the idea with Final Fantasy Dimensions was an interesting idea. I don't think the execution and price plan were ideal, but it was still something I'd like to see more of: 2D based old school Final Fantasy games. The thing is that I'd love to see something like that with 16 bit graphics for XBLA/PSN/VC/PC/Phones. Don't charge for different chapters, just offer a good, solid 20-40 hour game that we can enjoy without the hassle of in-game purchases and other annoying things. A game like that shouldn't require a big team, and if you're going to make smaller games, why not give this a try?

Would people even be interested in something like this or is this just me being nostalgic?

Of course people would be interested, SE won't do it though cause it'd make less money.

Noi

I'm not so sure it would do that bad. Release it on all platforms. How much could it cost to do a game like that?

This is not as inexpensive and low labor as you're making it sound. They already spend an eternity getting their mobile games released on Android, let alone platforms that require much more in-depth certification, QA and changes in how the game is coded.

Labadal

This is not as inexpensive and low labor as you're making it sound. They already spend an eternity getting their mobile games released on Android, let alone platforms that require much more in-depth certification, QA and changes in how the game is coded.

I know that much. But think about it this way: A lot of people would probably have bought PSN/XBLA/PC version of FFD if properly priced. I know at least 5 people in real life that would have given the game a try if it was not iphone exclusive, and they all have iphones.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally it's here :D (and the box is quite big)

BBIbeDfCEAAIHub.jpg:large

Tizoc

This.

Did you save before the fight so that you can't return? I did that and was forced to do the Squire strategy. I didn't have Yell but I had Tailwind so I just kept using Tailwind until I was outrunning him by about 4-5 turns. It takes longer but it's the easiest way of beating him.

So Stay out of his Range and Tailwind til I'm fast enough to Kill him in 4-5 turns.
I don't have Yell or Accumulate yet, when do those get unlocked?

Wazzy

Banned
So Stay out of his Range and Tailwind til I'm fast enough to Kill him in 4-5 turns.
I don't have Yell or Accumulate yet, when do those get unlocked?

I actually made a mistake. Yell and Tailwind are the same thing, just different names depending on the version you're playing. If you're playing the PSP version, the two moves you'll need are Tailwind and Focus. So yes, just Tailwind a ton until you're moving 4-5 turns above him and then start using Focus to power up.

Bladenic

Soooo I recently replayed and completed FF IV (Great great game by the way. Very fun, if you haven't played it, you should get to it. Just don't play the DS version...ewwwww) and I was tempted to replay IX. I think I've replayed it recently, I'm not sure to be honest. The more I play it, the more I think it becomes my most favorite FF game. I think first off it has the best opening scene...FF7 certainly set the bar but IX goes for the original route by having a gang of thieves moonlight as a theatre group while attempting to kidnap the princess...not bad if I do say so myself. My usual party was Zidane, Vivi, Eiko and Freya.

Why that team? Well first off, I don't think you can punt Zidane from the group anyway and he's too cool to drop so he stays. I know how to power Thievery up but I mainly use him for stealing or inflicting status attacks. Vivi is there of course for the elemental damage (Shame about Doomsday though) and Eiko is there mainly for healing...and the occasional damage. I actually prefer her over Dagger since Dagger spends a good chunk of the plot...well being sort of useless. Eiko is a brat but she's an entertaining brat to me!

As for the last slot, I usually go with either Steiner or Freya but I'm partial to Freya because she's cooler than Steiner, hits just as hard and is a freaking Lancer. On one hand it doesn't seem like a good idea for your tank to be up in the air so much but after powering up her one attack (Dragon Crest...and yes I did power it up fully...stop looking at me like that) she's pretty darn strong.

I always use Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, Steiner. Always. Even when I say I'm definitely using other characters, I don't. Main reason being most of the other characters are horribly behind in levels when they rejoin (iirc) and they all require some additional work to be as usable as the other 3 (minus Dagger). Eiko is better than Dagger, really, but I just prefer Dagger myself.

yoooo all, finally got my account approved, how you all doing :), my top game is FFIX and my top character is Yuna :D

Welcome, and btw, amazing taste.

I always use Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, Steiner. Always. Even when I say I'm definitely using other characters, I don't. Main reason being most of the other characters are horribly behind in levels when they rejoin (iirc) and they all require some additional work to be as usable as the other 3 (minus Dagger). Eiko is better than Dagger, really, but I just prefer Dagger myself.

Welcome, and btw, amazing taste.

One of these times, I will use Dagger. So far I have yet to use her fully in the game. Eiko is better and Vivi has the elemental damage covered so most of her summons are sort of useless (Don't feel like watching a full animation Ark all day) but I should try using her and Quina more often. I figure I'll be using Quina a bit anyway so I can exploit her Blue magic for some power leveling!

Tizoc

Sigh I'd be willing to drop my backlog a bit if only FF9 would go on sale on US PSN =/

I actually made a mistake. Yell and Tailwind are the same thing, just different names depending on the version you're playing. If you're playing the PSP version, the two moves you'll need are Tailwind and Focus. So yes, just Tailwind a ton until you're moving 4-5 turns above him and then start using Focus to power up.

Thanks, so just play defensive and take my time til I'm strong enought to defeat him.

RyoonZ

Banned
Just got my account approved today.
I can't wait for Lightning Returns.
Also how will FFXIV subscription work? Is it paid by credit card or there will be some kind of voucher?

frequency

Just got my account approved today.
I can't wait for Lightning Returns.
Also how will FFXIV subscription work? Is it paid by credit card or there will be some kind of voucher?

Welcome!

I'm looking forward to Lightning Returns too. I've been avoiding all video and information about it. I trust them to give me something great as they did with FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

For FFXIV, you can use credit card or PayPal (through UltimatePay) or ClickandBuy.
I doubt we will see cards/vouchers in store for crysta/game time. There never were any for FFXI. But maybe FFXIV re-launch will be successful enough for it.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks, so just play defensive and take my time til I'm strong enought to defeat him.
Yup! Time consuming but the most efficient way of beating him. I think it's the only place that you can get trapped if you save so it's totally worth the patience.

There will be a couple times where he will hit you but auto-potion will take care of that and then just use your next couple turns avoiding him and Tailwinding. If he get's close just make sure your HP is up enough to avoid a one-hit KO.

RyoonZ

Banned
Welcome!

I'm looking forward to Lightning Returns too. I've been avoiding all video and information about it. I trust them to give me something great as they did with FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

For FFXIV, you can use credit card or PayPal (through UltimatePay) or ClickandBuy.
I doubt we will see cards/vouchers in store for crysta/game time. There never were any for FFXI. But maybe FFXIV re-launch will be successful enough for it.

Cool, thanks. I will play the PS3 version. Hopefully the online isn't region locked like White Knight Chronicles 2.

jaxword

Some alternative strats:

Use Monk and Repeating Fist. Since the damage is random, you may get lucky and take him out with one shot.

Dragoon - Hard to pull off the timing, but you can avoid his strikes a bit easier.

Or just cheese the autopotion system with your idea of only hipotions. A Ninja can then beat him within 3 rounds.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nice! Wish there really was an FFXIV song on it, though.

Oh there was, just the Prelude or Main theme version from it.

In a battle medley where I expected a battle theme. Preferably Nail of Heaven.

;_;

Know what I want. FF Orchestra for Tactics.

Oh there was, just the Prelude or Main theme version from it.

In a battle medley where I expected a battle theme. Preferably Nail of Heaven.

;_;

Know what I want. FF Orchestra for Tactics.

So do I.

It's a crime that there isn't a live orchestral arrangement of Antipyretic in existence.

C'mon Square, that game was popular. It's not like it sold like Vagrant Story.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So do I.

It's a crime that there isn't a live orchestral arrangement of Antipyretic in existence.

C'mon Square, that game was popular. It's not like it sold like Vagrant Story.

Type 0 Concert would be cool. What Becomes of Us live would be a great thing to hear. Don't know what else they could give us for that though. "Standing Up" was another good one.

However I think Square only holds concert events for what they deem mainline titles.

But yeah I'd like to see Tactics get that treatment. Preferably Antipyretic, Trisection, and the Opening Theme.

One of the L'cie of Orience's past directly alludes to the Zodiac Brave Story as a reference where this L'cie raises 4 warriors to take on a demonic entity who had swayed the leader of their nation, directly mirroring the ZB Story in that regard.

CorvoSol

So I've been playing FF4 TAY a lot lately, and I have the Debug Ring, Akiyama Armor, and the Tokita Sword, and I was wondering: Are there other similar items in other FF games? Debug equipment that is allpowerful?

Because at level 40, using Focus, Yang dealt almost 20k with all three equipped.*
*In TAY the Limit Band allows you to exceed 9999 damage, just as the Limit ability in 4DS does. The Debug Ring possesses the abilities of all the Tail Rings.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I've been playing FF4 TAY a lot lately, and I have the Debug Ring, Akiyama Armor, and the Tokita Sword, and I was wondering: Are there other similar items in other FF games? Debug equipment that is allpowerful?

Because at level 40, using Focus, Yang dealt almost 20k with all three equipped.*
*In TAY the Limit Band allows you to exceed 9999 damage, just as the Limit ability in 4DS does. The Debug Ring possesses the abilities of all the Tail Rings.

I don't think there is. Really depends on the game for the OP equips.

Jarekx

So I'm debating about replaying FFIX again to fight Ozma. I remember getting my arse handed to me back in the day, but I was pretty young at the time and didn't really give it a fair shot.

Actually, I need to go face punch a lot of the optional bosses.

So I'm debating about replaying FFIX again to fight Ozma. I remember getting my arse handed to me back in the day, but I was pretty young at the time and didn't really give it a fair shot.

Actually, I need to go face punch a lot of the optional bosses.

Just remember to encounter all the Friendly monsters, they make it easier to fight Ozma.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
wtf, use that spritework in another game!

Dammit, Square. Priorities. >:|

The only thing that bugs me a little about the Safer Sephiroth sprite is the pixel for his eye. It really stands out and it's kind of clashy. But I guess it's hard to add whites around the iris with the proportions.

Wazzy

Banned
Those sprites....I wish the game was so much better. :(

I actually always wanted a FF VII-IX remake done in 2D sprites ever since the chip tune albums for each were released.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The localization work:

Orphan: This lonely deity has the most amazing three-way conversations in all of Cocoon.

Thanatos: This knight decapitated himself so his headless horse wouldn't feel self-conscious.

Armour Construct: This metallic monstrosity is extremely difficult to destroy. Why even bother? Move on.

Sahagin: These fishmen have a timeless turf war with rival imps over prime waterside real estate.

Flan Princess: Not all princesses look pretty in pink.

Cagnazzo: It is not known exactly why the Archfiend of Water insists on walking on all fours.

Magna Roader: These unlikely creatures love going off sweet jumps. Vrooom vrooom vroooooom!!!

Black Knight: These knights are cursed to think but a single thought for all time--none shall pass.

Ninja: Ninja don't sleep. They wait. Ninja don't dodge bullets. Bullets dodge ninja. And so on.

Gaelicat: I, for one, welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Magic Pot: What if... What if all that these pots ever truly wanted...was a nice warm hug?

Great Malboro: "Great" here refers primarily to the rancidity of the creature's breath. We're talking halitosis.

Edit: Safer Sephiroth: Though able to command supernovas, this guy can't even spell his own name. (fucking lol)

...Square... This is the kind of stuff I want in a game. Like, in terms of NPC dialogue and stuff.

Xux

The localization work:

Orphan: This lonely deity has the most amazing three-way conversations in all of Cocoon.

Thanatos: This knight decapitated himself so his headless horse wouldn't feel self-conscious.

Armour Construct: This metallic monstrosity is extremely difficult to destroy. Why even bother? Move on.

Sahagin: These fishmen have a timeless turf war with rival imps over prime waterside real estate.

Flan Princess: Not all princesses look pretty in pink.

Cagnazzo: It is not known exactly why the Archfiend of Water insists on walking on all fours.

Magna Roader: These unlikely creatures love going off sweet jumps. Vrooom vrooom vroooooom!!!

Black Knight: These knights are cursed to think but a single thought for all time--none shall pass.

Ninja: Ninja don't sleep. They wait. Ninja don't dodge bullets. Bullets dodge ninja. And so on.

Gaelicat: I, for one, welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Magic Pot: What if... What if all that these pots ever truly wanted...was a nice warm hug?

Great Malboro: "Great" here refers primarily to the rancidity of the creature's breath. We're talking halitosis.

Edit: Safer Sephiroth: Though able to command supernovas, this guy can't even spell his own name. (fucking lol)

...Square... This is the kind of stuff I want in a game. Like, in terms of NPC dialogue and stuff.
Yup, definitely FFXIV and TA2 caliber.

The dream FFXV in my head is setting me up for such a huge disappointment, lol.

Wazzy

Banned
The character profiles are pretty great too.

Squall:
This mercenary of Balamb Garden's SeeD loses his usual cool when playing cards.

Cloud:
This self-styled SOLDIER member packs a huge sword and sports a chocobo hairdo.

Yuna
Beyond having a father who saved the world, this girls also blows a mean whistle.

Yuna's is my favourite.

CorvoSol

All of this just proves that All the Bravest is another wasted opportunity.

Imagine with me, my friends, a Dissidia Sprite-based RPG of this vein. Would that not have been more worth our 50 bucks, Square?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think Square hates it's own fanbase.

The funny thing is that the fanbase is probably loyal enough for them to get away with it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think Square hates it's own fanbase.

The funny thing is that the fanbase is probably loyal enough for them to get away with it.

They do. If you think any of the stuff they they've done to the FF series is bad, it's nothing compared to what they've done and have been doing for years on FFXI.

Top Bottom