• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Next Xbox Event scheduled for April 26th

Reiko

Banned
noneedupset.gif

lol

Bgamer90

Banned
GTA 5 being a launch title for Durango would end GAF for good.

That would be so huge.

Completely different games but Burnout Revenge came out on the PS2/Xbox in September 2005. It then came out on the Xbox 360 in March 2006. That's 6 months.

GTA V was originally set for March but it has been bumped to September. That's 6 months also.

Coincidence? More than likely. Wouldn't be surprised though if 6 months is all that's needed to give the game a bit more polish for a new console.

Some have said that MS is planning a September launch too. Very interesting either way.

RibMan

GTA V surprise Durango exclusivity, (probably a few months) console releases on September 17th w/GTA.

My bold and stupid prediction.

While anything is possible, Microsoft would have to spend upwards of $100m to secure GTA V as an exclusive. Based on the performance of The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, I doubt Microsoft are looking at GTA V as a "must-have". Stranger things have happened though.

I think Microsoft would be more interested in tying up the next Batman or the next Burnout game.

Pooya

April 27 is start of ACM CHI 2013 in Paris, MS said at CES last month that they will show the illumiroom tech and papers here.

MormaPope

Banned
Did I say that? Ballmer is just not a very likeable guy.

And Don Mattrick? Well I don't know, not the most charismatic presenter either.

"remind me how much I dislike Microsoft as a company" Can only have so many meanings. Are you saying they have shitty PR then?

Did I say that? Ballmer is just not a very likeable guy.

And Don Mattrick? Well I don't know, not the most charismatic presenter either.

How is ballmer not likable? Compared to who? Don mattrick? Ken whatever? Aaron greenberg? Ballmer is way more likable than them.

In the end does the presenter really matter? If the product they push is desirable thats all they need.

Reiko

Banned
How is ballmer not likable? Compared to who? Don mattrick? Ken whatever? Aaron greenberg? Ballmer is way more likable than them.

In the end does the presenter really matter? If the product they push is desirable thats all they need.

Ballmer has more charisma and hype for MS than all 3 combined.

Dude was sweating in his madness.

MormaPope

Banned
Ballmer always has a crazy look in his eye, the dude legitimately might be crazy. I'd take more CEO's or executives like Ballmer all day everyday.

Ballmer always has a crazy look in his eye, the dude legitimately might be crazy. I'd take more CEO's or executives like Ballmer all day everyday.

Hes definitely passionate about the things he cares about. Look at what hes tried to do and is doing for the supersonics if you need more evidence. I agree 100%

eastmen

Banned
Paul Therrott has been saying the end of April for several months now. This isn't new news really. He also is on record confirming there are 2 Xbox consoles coming out this year. Not 2 SKUs.. 2 consoles. If you do the math, look back at older rumors and leaks this likely means..

1. Xbox "Loop" - a settop box, like AppleTV that is running streamed services with powerful enough GPU/specs to run current XBLA games+futuregen digital games. Super cheap, like $99-149
2. Xbox "Durango" - the true successor to the 360, full fledged console.

The idea is that MS is going to get out the nextgen gate running, in that they instead of pricing a console high and taking years to discount it to hit mass market sales. They will penetrate both markets immediately. For instance..

*note : made up pricing

Nextgen consoles :

Playstation
PS4
(2) SKUs
(1) Lower tier, less features : $449
(1) Higher tier, full experience : $549

Prices remain this for 2 years, then $50 drop. Wait another year or 2 for $100 drop and prices stay there until the end of the gen.

Xbox
"Durango"
(2) SKUs
(1) Lower tier, less featuers : $399
(1) Higher tier, full experience : $499

Prices remain this for 2 years, then $50 drop. Wait another year or 2 for $100 drop and prices stay there until the end of the gen.

"Loop"
(1) SKU
(1) Bottom tier, offers digital games and media consumption : $99-149

Price remains the same for 2 years, then $50 drop. Stays there until the end of the gen.

With this market, MS beats Sony to the bottom-line mass market day 1. As far as consumers see it, they can get into the Xbox brand day 1 for a discounted price, and honestly.. thats all that matters to many consumers. But with this I feel it would canabalize their own market.. so the "Loop" will come out 6 months after the Durango has built the brand and platform. Then introduce the affordable cousin that does less.

where does the xbox 360 come in ? I would much assume the 360 will get pushed out at $100 in a small wii u form factor and the Durango gets 2 sku's . One digital downloads only + dvr (that's where the no used games rumor fits in) and then the one with the optical drive and other gamer features .

thuway

The Ballmer gifs only serve to remind me how much I dislike Microsoft as a company. Such a disgusting slimeball.

The Xbox division needs a new spokesperson stat.

truth. Mattrick + Allard are a million times better. Ballmer is everything wrong with MS.

If Microsoft releases two consoles they are already dead.

There's a tremendous opportunity cost there.

Even if they market it as a digital entertainment device (that as it happen also plays games) they're taking a tremendous gamble for not much of a pay off.

Razgreez

Dude was sweating in his madness.

If Balmer calmed down somewhat and gained some composure i could almost imagine him giving this speech:

The world, has abandoned us. We fight alone against an incidious enemy, an enemy, who would destroy console gaming! Who would have the xbox division crumble, from within. But we are strong enough to fight the playstation. We are strong enough, to prevail. You asked for greatness, I have given it. you asked for victory, it is within our grasp. Do not ask me to surrender to our enemies... I will not! Playstation fanatics would enslave our sons and prostitute our daughters. I, steve ballmer, am CEO of microsoft. I dedicate myself, to protecting the lives of our live subscribers. Death. Despair. Desolation. Chaos. This is what the playstation would bring the xbox and its gamers. Our soldiers fight, for the glory of the xbox. Our workers labour for the glory of the xbox. Our children sing! for the glory of the xbox... Fight! Fight, I say! Do not tell me that we cannot, we must! We must crush the playstation! We cannot tolerate these traitors in our midst! The lies of traitors weaken our nation! Destroy the traitors! Destroy their lies! Destroy! The playstation!

The passion is definitely there, the delivery is just... not

truth. Mattrick + Allard are a million times better. Ballmer is everything wrong with MS.

You got it the wrong way around. Ballmer has shit all to do with xbox in his day to day. He gets updates and gives suggestions and signs off on anything major. He doesnt micromanage the xbox brand.

stktt

Banned
It's also great that he lent his likeness to Crytek for the psycho character. The accent was off though.

Psycho's performance lacked Ballmer's manic intensity, but I'm impressed by Crytek's decision to implement a dedicated sweating algorithm to maintain authenticity.

Banned
1. Xbox "Loop" - a settop box, like AppleTV that is running streamed services with powerful enough GPU/specs to run current XBLA games+futuregen digital games. Super cheap, like $99-149
2. Xbox "Durango" - the true successor to the 360, full fledged console.

Imagine the reaction if the leaked specs were for Loop all along.

Joe

MS will never beat Sony is hardware, you guys need to accept this (i'm surprised you haven't by now). Sony will always have the hardware advantage. MS excels in OS and software features. Whatever social aspects PS4 offers I imagine MS will trump easily.

MS will never beat Sony is hardware, you guys need to accept this (i'm surprised you haven't by now). Sony will always have the hardware advantage. MS excels in OS and software features. Whatever social aspects PS4 offers I imagine MS will trump easily.
xbox beat ps2 and didnt 360 also beat ps3?

Reiko

Banned

Uhhhh... MS beat them with the Xbox 1 royally in specs.

They also had a superior GPU with the Xbox 360.

Money is obviously not an issue with MS. However, providing a console with next gen tech is just a fraction of their goals.

Curious, why state this? It isnt even being discussed.

Why you gotta worry about it? I hope they're both good.

whats wrong with ballmer?

He reacts too much. Needs to act. He's a money guy. Not a visionary.

If Microsoft releases two consoles they are already dead.

There's a tremendous opportunity cost there.

Even if they market it as a digital entertainment device (that as it happen also plays games) they're taking a tremendous gamble for not much of a pay off.

I expect 2 consoles. Except I think one of them is just a new version of the 360 without a drive, but accesses the new content being added on the media side of the new Xbox.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This is funny considering it is Sony that is switching to whats been the MS Xbox blueprint of using PC parts this time.

saladine1

So is DDr5 Ramz betta than DDrthree. If it iz thean Soni wiinz teh interNet.

Seriously, can't wait for the MS meeting. It's going to be a wait though so hopefully we'll see some great Ballmerization from Gaf to keep us occupied..

it's just been an underlying thought in all these threads, including this one, that somehow MS needs to bring the hardware fire.

They don't? Sony has certainly set the bar and people want MS to match it despite rumors to the contrary. Someones favorite platform might get the worse games next gen, oh no, such a travesty. Microsoft have something to prove, I hope the next box is worth anticipating despite their shift in business focus.

And really who gives a damn about social features? I play a lot with friends and they're cool but games are still the primary motivator in my mind.

Shaneus

These Kinect gifs and jokes have really gotten lame.
That was a joke?

While anything is possible, Microsoft would have to spend upwards of $100m to secure GTA V as an exclusive. Based on the performance of The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, I doubt Microsoft are looking at GTA V as a "must-have". Stranger things have happened though.
If the PS4 and 720 release closer to each other than the 360 and PS3 did (and it's looking like they both will) then the only exclusive they'd need would be, say, a 6 month head start. Get GTAV on there on launch, get it pushed back on PS4 until mid-2014. That's all they need, really.

Imagine the reaction if the leaked specs were for Loop all along.
Bahahaha, that would be fucking incredible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
According to one of the B3D devs, it was made with 1.5GB's in mind actually (2.2GB GDDR5 available on initial kits). It would have been developed on the earlier dev kits. This correlates with the ram manufacture stamps on the different dev kits. Bare in mind, the 4GB GDDR5 kits only went out in january. I doubt they would have made the Killzone SF demo in a month...

This is nuts. Imagine devs planning based on 2.2GB ram, getting a 'last minute' bump to 4GB and being happy. Then barely a month later, Sony throws another 4GB at them. TBH I wonder if some launch titles might be so tuned around less ram that they can't take advantage of it immediately?

Top Bottom