• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom's stock earns the highest 1-mo. increase ratio across entire Japanese market

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Tweeted out on their official twitter
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/306067567506780162

736986897.png

For those not following, for the last 3 months or so Nihon Falcom has been consistently hitting the daily price limit (maximum range of fluctuation) imposed within the Japanese stock exchange, leading to their stock more than septupling (7x) in the last 3 months.

Good news for Falcom fans?

Takao

Banned
Pretty weird since they're a fairly small company.

Actually, thinking that over, them being a fairly small company is probably why. I guess their games are over achieving in the sales department.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I believe they amended their earnings forecast in September for an increase of as much as 30% for current net earnings, operating profit and income. Their recent games seem to have been pretty profitable I guess.

According to this year-old tweet, apparently Falcom has never been in the red in 30 years, with zero
no kiseki
debt.
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/statuses/168574467742773248

Takao

Banned
It's not like Ys or the Sora no Kiseki ports sold that good.

Actually, they said Ys and Kiseki HD were doing quite well for them, to the point where IIRC they originally expected a loss for the quarter, but are now expecting profit.

Aeana

I believe they amended their earnings forecast in September for an increase of as much as 30% for current net earnings, operating profit and income. Their recent games seem to have been pretty profitable I guess.

According to this year-old tweet, apparently Falcom has never been in the red in 30 years, with zero
no kiseki
debt.
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/statuses/168574467742773248
Falcom has always been run incredibly smartly. It's really amazing how differently they operate from other companies in Japan. And they're probably the most fan-oriented, too. Even the president goes out and does fan events and interviews and demonstrations for every new release.

Eusis

Falcom has always been run incredibly smartly. It's really amazing how differently they operate from other companies in Japan. And they're probably the most fan-oriented, too. Even the president goes out and does fan events and interviews and demonstrations for every new release.
It's why it's a shame that we don't more reliably get their games over here, but I wonder if that's also partially an effect of their business model? Really smartly work with their audience rather than try to pull in the world as companies like SE and Capcom are trying to do these days.

Maztorre

As an example: Ys Origin is the daily deal on Steam today and is above both Black Ops 2 and Skyrim right now on the Top Sellers list. Don't know if that's by revenue or number of sales (I know the Top Sellers list isn't considered a very reliable metric either way), but it's telling of Falcom succeeding in the Western PC market where they had no real presence until March last year.

Volcynika

As an example: Ys Origin is the daily deal on Steam today and is above both Black Ops 2 and Skyrim right now on the Top Sellers list. Don't know if that's by revenue or number of sales (I know the Top Sellers list isn't considered a very reliable metric either way), but it's telling of Falcom succeeding in the Western PC market where they had no real presence until March last year.

Steam's top sellers are by revenue.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Steam top sellers are revenue based.

Game Guru

Falcom is weird... They are a niche Japanese PC developer who also makes PSP and Vita games... By all rights they should be dead, but apparently the model works for them rather well, especially since they started supporting Steam. Good on them for not going beyond what they can afford, I say.

klee123

Falcom is weird... They are a niche Japanese PC developer who also makes PSP and Vita games... By all rights they should be dead, but apparently the model works for them rather well, especially since they started supporting Steam. Good on them for not going beyond what they can afford, I say.

Well, they don't really develop for the PC really all that much anymore. If anything they're primarily PS3 and Vita now. Although the subsidiary will probably change that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see PS4 games either since they're confirmed to have PS4 devkits.

Takao

Banned

Falcom hasn't made a PC game in years, and making games on PSP is the direct opposite of a death sentence in Japan.

Aeana

So more ports! Yay!
Ports have been a stable source of income for Falcom for the entire duration of their existence. They haven't always been responsible for them, but their licensing model usually ensured profit. It's not like Falcom isn't making new games.

Grief.exe

This could be good news for Japanese PC releases.

If their quarterly report shows a large amount of their revenue from PC, then more Japanese developers will finally realize the market is there.

ZoddGutts

Wonder how well their games sell in China. They've license their games there. Including Y's 7 and the Kiseki games PC version in China.

Aeana

Unless Falcom robbed XSEED blind with the residuals I doubt this money is coming from Steam, lol.

Hey, with the way things are going that's the only way their games will be on 3DS.
I don't know the details of XSEED's deal with Falcom, but it's been said in the past that Falcom's licensing fees are fairly high.

Game Guru

Well, they don't really develop for the PC really all that much anymore. If anything they're primarily PS3 and Vita now. Although the subsidiary will probably change that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see PS4 games either since they're confirmed to have PS4 devkits.

Actually going by the list I have of their games, Falcom doesn't support the PS3, only the PSP and PC... Well, okay, they haven't made a PC game in three years, but given the recent support of Steam thanks to XSEED, I would not say they have left the PC yet. Either way, whatever they are doing appears to work.

Aeana

Actually going by the list I have of their games, Falcom doesn't support the PS3, only the PSP and PC... Well, okay, they haven't made a PC game in three years, but given the recent support of Steam thanks to XSEED, I would not say they have left the PC yet. Either way, whatever they are doing appears to work.
Falcom just released a PS3 game in December (Sora no Kiseki FC HD) and they'll release another one in April (Sora no Kiseki SC HD), and Sen no Kiseki is for both PS3 and Vita.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good for them. Falcom is the kind of company that deserves all the success they get.

Eusis

Eh, I don't think that's really the case with Japanese developers. In the US, yeah, but I haven't really been hearing of too many shuttering stories about those who prefer to focus on niche stuff there, especially when you consider the state of the PSP until very recently and that it looks like their plan with Vita post-Celceta is to also release the games on PS3.
Even though it doesn't rely on the other games, it still has the usual Kiseki massive-amount-of-text problem. :/
It SOUNDS to me like Nayuta's down to normal JRPG levels at least, but whether that's the case or not the "released right as the PSP stopped mattering for retail in the US" point must've been just as damning, if not moreso. Probably moreso, it'd have probably worked as something of a bridge between Ys (gameplay) and Kiseki (narrative focus) for them, even if it's not really the same as either series in those regards, but you're going to need it on a platform with greater visibility.

Noirulus

This means more Legend of Heroes localizations, right? RIGHT?

At least port them over to PSV/PS3 and then bring them over to the west. PLEASE PLEASE PELASEP LLS PLS PLZ

Soriku

Continue porting them to PS3 and localize them please. Though if we have to wait like 2 years for a single game to get localized then it just won't work out.

Top Bottom