• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Nope. I just dropped the Sweetfx folder and it's accompanying files into the tomb raider directory.

jbqJ8vZz0nywI6.png

Can you muster a screenshot or two with the sweetFX on that business?

KePoW

Banned
If you un-check Exclusive FullScreen, it means you will be running borderless windowed mode.

It's the same setting in Hitman Absolution.

nikos

Game has been running great for me all day until recently. I experienced seven crashes or so in the last 20 minutes. I'm using a 5850 with Tessellation off. :(

scitek

I can't mentally imagine this. I'll have to check it out.

I disagree, I turned it off and immediately noticed how much FXAA blurred everything. I'm using SMAA instead.

I've had 2 crashes in-game, btw, just outside the cave, and a third time starting the benchmark.

kinggroin

Banned
Wow! Game runs and looks phenominal! Take back what I said earlier, but there's no way I'm buying it until its patched. Buddy saw a screen of triangles and driver stopped responding the instant he stepped out the cave. Tried again and it CTD during a cut scene just outside.

Similar specs to my PC:

Phenom II x4 965 at 3.6ghz
Gtx680 ( I have a 670)

All details maxed with SSAAx2 and Tres On, damn near locked 60fps only dropping when loading parts of a level (split second drop to the 40s) or during a cut scene (down to high 30s).

This is at 1280x800 on a projector (mine is 720p).

Good news for me when/if I get it. Should be perfectly silk throughout :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Judge for yourself.

FXAA:
fxaa7vup2.png

4x SMAA:
ssaa1surj.png

Is FXAA as good? No. The difference with the foliage is pretty obvious. Still, the IQ is pretty damned great as far as Lara and the environment are concerned. Not blurry at all, IMO, at least not compared to most FXAA implementations. If it were not for the foliage, it would be tough to tell the two apart at a glance.

Disappointed, game crashed about 20 minutes in for me...It looks phenomenal. Think I'm going to like it more than I expected though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Here is a shot with TressFX and FXAA. I really don't think the blur is noticeable at all. The IQ is still pretty stellar considering it's FXAA. Much better than I've seen in anything else.

tressp9yr4.png

Judge for yourself.

FXAA:
fxaa7vup2.png

4x SMAA:
ssaa1surj.png

Is FXAA as good? No. The difference with the foliage is pretty obvious. Still, the IQ is pretty damned great as far as Lara and the environment are concerned. Not blurry at all, IMO, at least not compared to most FXAA implementations. If it were not for the foliage, it would be tough to tell the two apart at a glance.

Thanks breh's. Yeah it's not AS bad as I've seen. SMAA is beast mode though.

Does sweetFX normally de-saturate? I haven't really used it that much.

TheExodu5

Banned
Doesn't Max Payne 3 have a really good FXAA implementation too?

Actually haven't played it, could be. I'm used to the terrible implementations we see in games like Skyrim.

If you can maintain 60fps with 2x SSAA on, go for it. If it causes you to drop below 60fps, I'd just stick with FXAA...it's solid.

Varna

Some quick test with my system... 690GTX stock, 3700k @ 4.6 GHZ.

1080p max settings with SSAX2 59 FPS average.
1080p max settings with FXAA 80 FPS average.

SSAX4 is unplayable. Runs like at 5 FPS and makes the whole thing super unresponsive. This game runs incredibly hot. I've never seen my card hit 80c in a game before. It's such a short sequence too.

Dinosur

i7 860 @2.8
8gig ram

"Ultimate" settings with vsync turned off: Once the initial CG ended, there were 4 enemies. Two of them were solid neon green and one was invisible outside of clothing. After that, the screen just went black and started flashing acid trip shapes and colors.

x3sphere

Some quick test with my system... 690GTX stock, 3700k @ 4.6 GHZ.

1080p max settings with SSAX2 59 FPS average.
1080p max settings with FXAA 80 FPS average.

SSAX4 is unplayable. Runs like at 5 FPS and makes the whole thing super unresponsive. This game runs incredibly hot. I've never seen my card hit 80c in a game before. It's such a short sequence too.

I'd guess that's a VRAM limitation. WIth the Titan I can get 20fps with 4xSSAA on at 2560x1600, I haven't tried 1080p but should be playable given the performance at 1600p.

At 2560x1600 2xSSAA is more than enough, though.

nikos

The further I get into the game, the more frequently it crashes. It's becoming very annoying but I still can't stop playing.

Gumbie

Depth of Field was killing my 670. Turned that from ultra to high and fps jumped from around 52fps in the benchmark to around 80fps.

Anyone else getting this....shadow dots all over Laras face? Hard to explain might have to grab a video of it. Using latest drivers for my GTX570, everything max besides hair and AF

Dinosur

Turned vsync back on, turned off DoF and dropped AF down to 8x. Ran amazing until outside of the cave when it crashed.

Game is frickin' gorgeous. Think I'm going to wait for a patch/driver instead of playing without tessellation.

Just got the game on Steam, but I can't access the different hair quality options. The drop down menu is grayed out. Is there a way to enable??

The difference between FXAA and SSAA is much more noticeable in lower rez.

I'm gaming at 720p, and the difference between FXAA and 2x SSAA is night and day. One makes me think I got something in my eye, the other makes me think I'm playing at a higher resolution.

Turn off tessellation.

I got it by turning post processing and tessellation off.

What's up with this game and Nvidia cards man.

joesmokey

Tress FX causes glowing hair :(. Maybe it's because of surround at 5760x1200.

Bah time to try the new beta forceware driver.

AllenShrz

Runs great here, solid 60 fps FXAA, Vsync on. Ill test SMAA later and see how it goes.

Core i5 3570K @ 4ghz, 8GB, 7970 overclocked to 1150 /1600. No crashes so far either.

TressFX may not be perfect, but as a first iteration of this technology, I really like it.

Games like this makes me glad I spend the money on a good monitor, the games does come to life(Dell u2410).

Thanks guys, turning off tessellation got it fixed. Is it a TR issue or a Driver issue? If its driver it would be the first time I had an issue sine I got my Nivida card.

Running 55fps maxed (2xSMAA) with tressFX off. On im getting 37fps. 4 crashes within an hour. Weird artifacts with exclusive fullscreen on, just plain crashes to the desktop with it turned off sometimes.

Overall im really enjoying the game. Would be nice if I could play it however.

GTX670 OC
i7 970 stock
8GB 1600

Dario ff

Banned
i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHZ
AMD Radeon HD 6870

Ultra Settings, turned off High Precision and TressFX, running at 1600x900 with FXAA. Mostly constant 60 FPS with dips to 50 in some heavy-action parts, no crashes so far at all. Very much like how the alt-tabbing is implemented even in fullscreen.

Running the latest beta drivers which help reduce framerate latency a lot.

Maybe the crashes are just happening on Nvidia?

Top Bottom