• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

kidko

I'll second this. And it's actually what I did in Tri as well. I got my full Peco armour set and a good hammer for that stage of the game and took a few tries to get Barroth down and then went online. Also by that time I had a very well stocked inventory so I wasn't a hindrance to people online like some people are when they have no items.

My recommendations of things to do before going online if you are new:
Beat Barroth
Have a full set of armor
Have an upgraded weapon
Have a good stock of well done steaks
Have a good stock of potions and mega potions

Some hardcore people would say beat the whole offline first, but to me that is a bit extreme. Just get to know the flow of the game and the combat, and have some items is what I say.

I would agree, unless you have friends to go online with. I had some friends take me online when I'd only taken down Great Jaggi and it really helped me better understand how to play.

The following is an example of how to get to table 10 (T10), use the time list for a different table.

Turn off your wireless settings.
Make the date 1-21-2012
T10 is "0hours 14minutes 44seconds" so to aim for that, set the time at 0hours 13minutes
Once you get to the NEWGAME screen, wait there for 1minute and 44seconds

edit: FamiliarStranger ( I do have one thing to add, which is that the table gets decided the moment you select "Yes" when the game asks if you really want to create a New Game.)

The following are the times for each table
T1 00:14:11~13
T2 02:14:39~42
T3 00:11:28~30
T4 00:05:47~49
T5 00:56:43~45
T6 00:42:17~20
T7 01:43:58~01
T8 09:25:48~51
T9 07:09:58~01
T10 00:14:43~45
T13 00:07:46~48
T14 00:17:02~05

T11 00:02:43
T12 00:06:41
T15 00:08:09
T16 00:13:22
T17 00:20:03

11, 12, 15, 16, 17 are the cursed tables.

--------

FamiliarStranger via GameFAQS posted this guide on which tables are good for what:

A more accurate version of the table koyori posted:

T1: Contains a nice balance of Blademaster and Gunner charms with high stats/many slots, but lacks good Awakening charms and doesn't excel at any one thing.

T2: Feels like an inferior version of T1. Lacks any amazing charms unique to this table, not much to talk about.

T3: All-purpose table. Especially rich in good evasion charms, but has the possibility for many skill setups with a Handicraft +4 OOO charm (with Sharpener -3).

T4: Good for Blademasters. Has the most charms suited for Lancers, but also contains a Handicraft +4 OOO charm and is good for other Blademasters as well.

T5: Good Evasion Distance and Earplug charms, great for Switch Axe and Heavy Bowgun users. Most of the good charms are Dragon Talismans though, so grinding for them may be a chore.

T6: Leaning towards Blademasters. Has both Handicraft +5 OO and Handicraft +4 OOO. Contains great charms for Evasion and Awakening with other useful skills.

T7: Most plentiful in Evasion charms. If you want Evasion +2 regardless of your weapon, this table has good unique charms.

T8: Above average Evasion and Guard type charms, but slightly lacking in other areas. Its Dragon Talismans tend to be good.

T9: Somewhat geared towards Gunners. Has plenty of charms with a gunner skill combined with Attack +10 or Expert +10. Does have excellent charms for Blademasters but its Handicraft charms are the worst of all tables.

T:10 Extremely good charms that combine Handicraft with another skill, such as Handicraft +5 Free Element +7. Is also plentiful in Edgemaster charms and probably gives the highest possible power with pretty much any Blademaster weapon. It does seem to be somewhat lacking in Good Evasion distance charms.

T13: No unique godly charm, but does have a wide variety of good charms in most areas.

T:14 Slightly geared towards Blademasters. Many great charms such as Sharpness +4 Free Element +7 and Handicraft +4 Expert +10. Rapid Fire +5 Expert +10 is great for Light Gunners as well.

Keep in mind this information was written months ago (maybe as early as February 2012), and the general consensus may have changed.
----

all the information I've collected is at Unity here: http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster...-a-faster-way-to-get-the-charm-table-you-want

Bookmarked. Thanks. :) Which table is best for S&S and dual swords? Blademaster ones I reckon?

FlyFaster

I'll just go ahead and post this as well, it's also from FamiliarStranger via GameFAQs:

more info via Familiar Stranger:

-----

From what I've gathered today in Japanese message boards, Tables 1 and 10 are considered top tier by most people, followed by 4 and 6. On the other hand Tables 2, 3, and 13 are considered bottom tier.

According to a wise man on Yahoo Answers (October 9th, 2012):

"Table 10 lets you create hands down the best equipment for Hammers and Dual Swords. You can also create great sets for other melee weapons other than Greatsword. Handicraft +5 FreeElement +7 is very powerful. If you're going to recreate your character, keep this one in mind.

The other god tier table, Table 1, is an all-purpose table slightly geared towards gunning, but really feels like a 'Jack of all trades, master of none" so it's not suited for people who want the best possible skill setup for a particular weapon. If you're going to be using many kinds of weapons though, you can make above average sets for any weapon type with this table so I recommend it.

[Best tables for each weapon]

Greatsword: T6 > T4
Lance: T4 >= T10 > T14
Gunlance: T10 >= T4
Dual Swords: T10
Hammer: T10
Switch Axe: T14 > T7 > T5
Gunner: T9 > T1 (T5 for Heavy Bowgun)

If you like Handicraft T6, and if you like evasion skills T7 is recommended.”

Taken from games.yahoo.co.jp/qa/detail?qid=12953677...

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the validity of this person's claims, but I will say that it seems to be in line with most information I've come across on 2ch. For some reason it's been difficult trying to find new information on this, probably because it was discussed to death ages ago. This post from October was the newest thing I could find.

Hoodbury

Argh, all this stupid charm table stuff is aggravating. I can't decide which route I'm going to take. I know I'm going to spend a lot of my time in this game so I would dislike being stuck in a cursed table, but like Mupod says, I also know that maxing my character isn't going to make me a better hunter, I know it's about my own skills and all that jazz. Having one charm over another one isn't going to be the deciding factor on whether or not I kill a monster.

But then again, charm farming while choresome is kinda fun in it's own right too, and I'd hate to spend hours charm farming when there aren't really any great charms to farm for.

I wish I never heard of this charm crap.

What about Sword & Shield or is it usually paired with dual swords? I never use the shield in S&S, so dual swords sound perfect for me, I want quick slices so I can pick 'em apart bit by bit.

Is Dual Swords different much in feel from S&S?

deviljho

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the validity of this person's claims, but I will say that it seems to be in line with most information I've come across on 2ch.

You definitely found the best table for LawyerGAF and DetectiveGAF. :p

but seriously, thanks!

But then again, charm farming while choresome is kinda fun in it's own right too, and I'd hate to spend hours charm farming when there aren't really any great charms to farm for.

a few pages back, wsippel posted a method for determining which table you received early on in your game. this way, you don't have to try and manipulate the "new game" but rather just make sure you didn't get a "cursed" table early on and be cool knowing you got one of the normal ones.

1) Turn off wi-fi (slide the WIRELESS button)
2) Set date to January 21st, 2012
3) Set the clock to 00:13:00, start your stopwatch right when you touch OK
4) Open the game and go to the “create new character” menu – you must confirm that you indeed want to start a new character by letting go off the A button when the clock hits 00:14:44

This is to get on Table 10. differened tables will have different times. That post has made it's way around here a few times already.

Notice how you set you clock BEFORE the time you want which is 14:44. So you set it to 13:00 to give your self time to get through the system, through the game menus and to the "new game" screen.

Get a stop watch to make sure you are on time, you generally have a couple seconds window. But you should be ready anyway.

I still don't really understand this.

You set the system clock to 00:13:00, meaning 13 minutes after midnight?

And you start the stopwatch as soon as you click ok?

Stopwatches start at 0, so we will be waiting 14 minutes and 44 seconds? Or do you mean we should actually create the character when the system time would reach 14:44, so the stopwatch should read 1:44?

blackflag

Oh good grief, now I gotta worry about this crap. What the hell. I guess I'll try to ignore it but I can get OCD with games like this.

Mondriaan

Argh, all this stupid charm table stuff is aggravating. I can't decide which route I'm going to take. I know I'm going to spend a lot of my time in this game so I would dislike being stuck in a cursed table, but like Mupod says, I also know that maxing my character isn't going to make me a better hunter, I know it's about my own skills and all that jazz. Having one charm over another one isn't going to be the deciding factor on whether or not I kill a monster.

Don't worry about that. Someone will eventually translate the Japanese guide for more quickly farming the charms you want. It apparently involves spreadsheets.

deviljho

What do these charms do specifically?

They add skill points directly or through slots that allow you to add gems. Each piece of armor also has skill points. Once you get enough points for a particular skill, that skill or effect is "activated." Some skills are better suited for hammers, bows, lances, etc... So customizing your choice of weapon, armor and charms can be fun and can affect your combat effectiveness. Customizing also incentivizes loot farming.

A +10 Critical Draw grants you the critical draw skill which guarantees a critical attack when unsheathing you weapon. Useful for Greatswords, but probably not as much for Sword and Shield, for example.

jeez.... I'm gonna roll with hammer, hunting horn, dual swords, and long swords most of the game. Should I worry about this whole charm thing?

I want a good table, I guess.

What table would you recommend?

Hoodbury

a few pages back, wsippel posted a method for determining which table you received early on in your game. this way, you don't have to try and manipulate the "new game" but rather just make sure you didn't get a "cursed" table early on and be cool knowing you got one of the normal ones.
Ya, that might be the route I take, I'm not a big fan of having to restart my character though. But in the long term, an hour out of the hundreds I'm going to put in the game isn't that big of a deal.
What do these charms do specifically?

Charms give extra skill points or gem slots. You need a certain amount of skill points (10, 15, or 20) to activate the skill. If you have 9 skill points, that skill won't be active. 9 Is the same value as 1. Only when you hit 10 does the skill become active.

Skills mainly come from your armour pieces. Charms are there to supplement your armour. So lets say your armour gives you +7 points of one skill, so you still need 3 skill points to get it to 10 to activate that skill. You would then hope to find a charm that has at least 3 points in that skill. There's also Gems that you can craft that give skill points and you can do those specifically for what you need, while charms are usually higher in points but are 'random'.

Also, does the charm table timing really work the same way on Wii U and 3DS? Seems odd to me since they are probably quite different under the hood, but I suppose they could.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this time trick doesn't work the same in the US version, like everyone will do it and end up on table 17 or something.

Also remember that this could eff up your 3DS's data in terms of tracking steps and games you have played since Jan 2012.

Fireblend

Banned
So is it a terrible idea to get the 3DS version of this with no online? I played the demo for a while and thought it was kinda fun, but I might as well pass it up if I'll be missing all the fun sticking only to single player. How does the game work, does it have a storyline, or is it just a string of "hunt missions"?

Also, technical question, I saw that you could select an item and it is shown on the bottom right corner of the upper screen.... how do I use it? I could only find out how to navigate through my inventory (or what I think was my inventory) through that UI bit, but I have no idea how to actually use it.

So is it a terrible idea to get the 3DS version of this with no online? I played the demo for a while and thought it was kinda fun, but I might as well pass it up if I'll be missing all the fun sticking only to single player. How does the game work, does it have a storyline, or is it just a string of "hunt missions"?

Also, technical question, I saw that you could select an item and it is shown on the bottom right corner of the upper screen.... how do I use it? I could only find out how to navigate through my inventory (or what I think was my inventory) through that UI bit, but I have no idea how to actually use it.

Press the why button!

Mupod

1. I put hundreds of hours into the PSP games without ever playing multiplayer. I still prefer solo hunting in some ways, multiplayer is a fun experience but a different one. There's a bit of a basic storyline supported by dialogue from NPCs in town but functionally it's just missions yes. And that's the way we likes it around these parts.

2. Y uses items and sheathes weapons, you cycle items with L + Y or A. I really recommend reading the digital manual.

What about Sword & Shield or is it usually paired with dual swords? I never use the shield in S&S, so dual swords sound perfect for me, I want quick slices so I can pick 'em apart bit by bit.

Is Dual Swords different much in feel from S&S?

They are similar in some ways. Both are fast and traditionally focused on elemental/status damage.

Not using the shield is the ideal way to use SnS - it's an 'oh shit' button since it's the weakest weapon in terms of blocking power. But it's very nice to have especially early on to avoid monster roars and such.

DS's moveset generally locks you into an attack for slightly longer and it doesn't have the awesome jumping slash. But its damage potential is higher and demonize is fun. Plus now it has that sidestep dodge when you fill up the weapon bar.

As I say with every weapon question just try both, you start with one of every weapon ingame and there's still the demo. No reason to commit to one before even using it.

Here is a link to the skills for Tri: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_List
And here's a link to the Armour in Tri and what skill points each piece gives: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_List

Ultimate is a little different but I'm having trouble finding a page like this for ultimate.

http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armor+Skills

Apenheul

Tri on the Wii made a decent attempt at providing a single player campaign which was pretty nice and I finished the whole thing if only because I needed certain parts of the last elder monster (against Caedeus) which you could not get online, and because the farm and fishing boats were a good way to stock up on the necessary mushrooms, bugs and fish to create potions from.

Essentially the single player mode is a series of hunt, capture, and gather quests stringed together using a storyline. The village you start in is basically the hub from which you accept new challenges and then depart from, you then get dropped in one of the environments that these events take place in. Normally you get about 7 quests at a time to choose from and once you've cleared those you get access to higher level quests.

You can also choose to hunt 'free-style' on the deserted island area, you can gather materials, hunt monsters or do whatever you want without a timer bogging you down.

Mupod

I tried to lure Plesioth to land with the frog, but it was X'd out in my item list. Anyone know why this is the case?

You can only fish in one specific spot - find the school of fish, coming from the starting area it'll be on the right side of the coast. Make sure you fish with the frog by pressing Y, it'll prompt you with 'A' but that won't use the frog.

Plessy will only go for the frog if he hasn't seen you yet, or if he's tired. He'll always try and eat the frog if he's tired/drooling.

Man, I think I'll probably create my character on the 3DS version to get the charm table, then transfer it onto my Wii U version...we CAN do this, right? And on day 1?

Mupod

Man, I think I'll probably create my character on the 3DS version to get the charm table, then transfer it onto my Wii U version...we CAN do this, right? And on day 1?

As far as I know, yes. But I'm actually kinda worried about changing my 3DS time ruining my stats, heh. I just hit 1 million steps!

Yes, you can.

I'm going with whatever table I get, what most of you don't realize is that the best charms don't drop often.

I remember looking for a clust charm on MH3 and never found it in 1500h of game.

Boney

Banned
Yes, you can.

I'm going with whatever table I get, what most of you don't realize is that the best charms don't drop often.

I remember looking for a clust charm on MH3 and never found it in 1500h of game.

Yeah I don't even wanna know what this table nonsense is

DaBoss

As far as I know, yes. But I'm actually kinda worried about changing my 3DS time ruining my stats, heh. I just hit 1 million steps!

It can mess with that? :/

Does it mess with anything else?

EDIT2: Wait, did you have a 3DS already on that day and that is why you are worried?

EDIT: Also, Andrex, get that OT ready, stat! :p

Mondriaan

Yeah I don't even wanna know what this table nonsense is

Well, technically you don't really need to mess with the date/time. You could just get up to the fish monger, have the boats go on a trip to Moga Shore or something, and then determine which table you're in based on a computer analysis of the items retrieved.

If you don't like the results, just start over and marvel at how boring the beginning part of MH is as you create a new character and repeat the process (30-45 minutes by most estimates).

Yes, you can.

Honestly? I'm just going to do this charm table crap once, just to ensure that my one character gets a chance at a decent charm. If I'm going to play for hours and hours, I'd rather not be screwed out of the possibility. It's just a one-time deal anyways (for me) so it's all good.

demonkaze

So I have a question, I have a US 3DS XL but my wii u is a pal one and i was wondering if ill be able to play local with a us 3ds copy and the pal wii u version with my brother.

You could test it. Play a game for 10 minutes, take 10 steps, record your data, set the date to the previous day, play for a few minutes again, switch back to the correct time. See if you've lost those steps.

Mr E.

Pro-tip to the newbies: PLEASE play offline first. If you have a few decent weapons and armor sets, and you defeat Barroth, then you're ready.
Whilst I understand the frustration of veteran players on this stance, its this and the fucking hoops you have to jump through to press new game that's turning me off this.

Bah I'm too old for this level of commitment. Fuck it.

jwhit28

Whilst I understand the frustration of veteran players on this stance, its this and the fucking hoops you have to jump through to press new game that's turning me off this.

It's not that bad. In Tri I was new. I played 3-4 hours offline just enough to get Qurupeco armor and a nice hammer. I then played online with some people considerably stronger than I was and was HR 20 by the end of the week.

The hunts generally go much faster online. I took my full Lagicrus armor and Rathalos hammer and beat offline easily just to level up my farm.

Do like I'm going to do and just forget the charm table. It seems to be more for those who are crazy into getting the absolute best possible armor/skills or whatever. It's not like you're not going to be able to beat all the monsters because you got dealt a shitty table. From the sounds of it you'll be able to beat most monsters naked by the time you would be min/maxing your gear with the best charms.

As for Pineconn's comment, screw that. Go online whenever you feel comfortable with the controls. I guess the other thing I would do is get some materials together for potions and whatnot so you don't have to farm materials while questing with others.

Mupod

As I keep saying, ignore the charm table talk. Do you honestly care about missing out on a 1/12,000 chance at getting something that would at best get you an extra +1 or +2 to a skill you don't really even need (and could probably get from armor anyways)? From the rest of your post this is not something you even should begin to give a shit about.

Mr E.

Do like I'm going to do and just forget the charm table. It seems to be more for those who are crazy into getting the absolute best possible armor/skills or whatever. It's not like you're not going to be able to beat all the monsters because you got dealt a shitty table. From the sounds of it you'll be able to beat most monsters naked by the time you would be min/maxing your gear with the best charms.

As for Pineconn's comment, screw that. Go online whenever you feel comfortable with the controls. I guess the other thing I would do is get some materials together for potions and whatnot so you don't have to farm materials while questing with others.

Yep your right mate. I think a noob Monster hunter clan is called for, experienced players can fuck off lol.

Jawmuncher

So I have a question, I have a US 3DS XL but my wii u is a pal one and i was wondering if ill be able to play local with a us 3ds copy and the pal wii u version with my brother.

You won't be able to from my understanding until April when it comes to pal and US since a patch will enable that.

Can't answer much about local play with a 3DS and WiiU though. My recollection was that you'd need up use a WiiU and a LAN adapter to play the 3DS game online. They haven't really explained how that works.

Yep your right mate. I think a noob Monster hunter clan is called for, experienced players can fuck off lol.

I second this motion.

Hoodbury

I said it earlier in the thread, but the emphasis on Pineconn's post should be that it's just a tip. It's not a requirement. You can do whatever you want, plenty of people do go online right away and end up playing just fine. Plenty of people also end up being HR 100+ with no armor skills and still triple cart to simple monsters.

Top Bottom