• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Pimpbaa

shpankey said:
this shit is becoming an epidemic.

Indeed. I ain't touching the 360 until this is fully resolved. How in the hell can they expect to compete with Sony when they are screwing over customers with such faulty hardware? This should have been fixed a few months after release, and yet a year later they are still pumping out the same poorly manufactured hardware. Yes I know Sony systems sometimes tend to be unrealiable, but this is much much worse.

Tarazet

I got an E74/one red light error. I turned it off and turned it back on again, and it booted RR6 without a problem, has been running for 2 hours. Now I'm definitely thanking my stars for the warranty I bought though.

AirBrian

Well, because TRU's extended warranty sucks, I'm getting BB to pricematch TRU's $100 gift card and picking up a 360 tomorrow. Hopefully MS has ironed out some of the manufacturing problems. If not, it better fail in the next 2 years. :lol :-(

Norse

for the love of pete...this entire thread should be deleted. It has so many BS stories in it that you question even the legit issues.

And right during the busiest shopping time of the year(final weeks before xmas) it sits on the front page of these forums almost every day.

GAF either has the most liars of any gaming forum, or they have the most unlocky 360 owners. I doubt a group could be this unlucky.

whats the official total of supposedly dead 360's in this thread? How many posters?

unomas

Banned
Norse said:
for the love of pete...this entire thread should be deleted. It has so many BS stories in it that you question even the legit issues.

And right during the busiest shopping time of the year(final weeks before xmas) it sits on the front page of these forums almost every day.

GAF either has the most liars of any gaming forum, or they have the most unlocky 360 owners. I doubt a group could be this unlucky.

whats the official total of supposedly dead 360's in this thread? How many posters?

I'm on my third, which has lasted now for 3 months. So far so good!

Odysseus

Banned

A T T E N T I O N * A L L * G A M E R S

Broken Xbox 360s got you down? Have no fear, Sony is here!

Wait now and pick up your shiny new 60 GB PS3 next spring, guaranteed to work
or your money back, for the low low bargain basement price of

$599.99!

Remember, a system does you no good if it doesn't work!

Why not get one that will, that also happens to include the new hotness in home
video format, BLU-RAY! Watch all your movies and play your games in glorious 1080p!

P L A Y S T A T I O N 3

viral marketing for Norse ;)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Three red lights. My launch 360 is toast as of last night. I brought it from my house to my sister's house. I was really careful with it, but I can hear something rattling around in there...
It was going to die anyway, I think. Games started crashing constantly one night last week. It's been touch and go since then.

Norse said:

Why does it concern you so much? Do you have stock in Microsoft? How do you know which stories are true? If your 360 works why the **** are you even in this thread?

seanoff

yeah all those hardcore sony fans even 1 page back like op_ivy, rs7k etc are just making this shit up because they hate MS.

Norse, get over it. MS seem to have some problems with this hw. Is that so hard to take. Jesus, they're not infallible over in Redmond, some of their operating system snafus should tell you that.

Norse said:
whats the official total of supposedly dead 360's in this thread?

Norse said:
How many posters?
Most users ever online was 5,354, 09-26-2006 at 03:49 PM

If every one of those users bought a 360, then the failure rate is less than 3%!

Sure, I suppose some of the reports could be FUD from Nintendo and Sony fanboys (I'd say the more likely culprits are the "I was going to buy one, but now I don't know" posts; nearly everyone who is reporting failures are repairing them or buying additional consoles), but why is it your assumption that most are? I personally know of 8 people who have had their consoles die, and they don't even post here. I didn't include "friends of" in the totals or even EGM1982's 6 consoles (since that was his own damn doing). The overall failure rate of 360's is higher than industry standard. Microsoft wouldn't be extending warranties and refunding repair costs if they didn't have an actual problem, rather than fear of internerd bitching.

Norse said:

this is one of those times where i type up something long and probably bannable, then switch to another tab... and then normally, i would come back to the tab minutes later and close it.

however, i just had to reply with something this time, even if i said nothing, because i don't really want to get banned.

Norse said:

You best have some sort of evidence to back up what you're saying before you call me and most of the people in this thread liars.

Not everyone has a Microsoft or Sony agenda. If you can't deal with the reality that everyone (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) has managed to f**k up at least one or two issues during this launch cycle, you best stay away from the entire forum.

Edited for grammar.

DenogginizerOS said:
My X360 just died. Born 11/03/05. Died 12/17/06.

I will be without over the holidays. Great timing.
Heh, just be glad you can get it repaired before Lost Planet comes out. Got to look on the bright side.

shpankey

not an idiot
i don't think anyone on this forum would call me an xbox hater. and i know a lot of these posters in here and would definitely vouch for them as well. there is a lot of xbox fans in here.

dude, it happened and is happening. this shit is real. if you have an early 360, my guess is you'll eventually be in this thread too.

on an update note, the hot air gun fix is still working for my system, and i'm playing it 5 hours a day since, so i'm hoping beyond hope it can keep hanging on, at least until next year.

if you're out of warranty, Denog, why don't you try the fix?

TurboFool

Norse said:

I thought similarly until mine died. Not quite so negative or rude, but still, I figured the numbers had to be exaggerated somehow. And yet I had the nagging feeling I'd end up in that group. Sure enough, I did.

Perhaps when yours dies you'll understand. I'll be nice and cross my fingers that if never does, though. It's not a nice thing to go through.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
My X360 just died. Born 11/03/05. Died 12/17/06.

I will be without over the holidays. Great timing.

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Denog. It was only a matter of time, though. My launch console bit the dust over the summer, though, so the timing was a little better. At least you got some Gears time on it!

Do you have a warranty?

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I have a warranty. But it is via MS. I am contemplating getting a core.

:(

Yeah, it'd be nice to snag a core with a rebate or something. Aren't there a lot of deals out there?

JB1981

Norse said:

I can't wait til your 360 dies.

HokieJoe

The Faceless Master said:
this is one of those times where i type up something long and probably bannable, then switch to another tab... and then normally, i would come back to the tab minutes later and close it.

Haha, I've done the same thing.

J-Rzez

Norse said:

Face it man... This is the least reliable console ever most likely... It doesn't seem to be glitches either, it's major meltdown status problems... I've went through this (mainly powerbrick issues, E-68 and such), my friend that doesn't post here and runs a "love xbox or else" site is on his 3rd unit, other people from those forums have issues... it's not just GAF by a long shot... Even friends of mine that don't post on internet forums (yes, some ppl just spend all their time playing games and not bicker on forums hehe) have had these issues as well...

These consoles are more complex than ever, there's more than likely higher odds of something to happen to them... I didn't take a chance with my PS3 at all because of past Sony drive problems and got a warranty from the store as well, even though there's way far less DOA stories of PS3's for whatever reason... but I imagine in time issues will pop up...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Odysseus said:
You'd rather blow $300 on a core than wait a week or two?
No. I could trade the refurb in later.

But after consideration, I will just wait. I do NOT want to spend $300 on a core right now. I will just do without.

Odysseus

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
No. I could trade the refurb in later.

But after consideration, I will just wait. I do NOT want to spend $300 on a core right now. I will just do without.

Although, what you just said sort of does have merit. What's the trade in value of a 360?

I'd rather have a PRP from Best Buy or something than a warranty from Microsoft. Much easier. Plus I just remembered, isn't MS now making you pay your own shipping? Meh.

J-Rzez said:
I didn't take a chance with my PS3 at all because of past Sony drive problems and got a warranty from the store as well, even though there's way far less DOA stories of PS3's for whatever reason... but I imagine in time issues will pop up...

With any luck, it's because PS3s actually are more reliable and not just because no one has one, therefore no one can have a broken one.

DenogginizerOS

Odysseus said:
Although, what you just said sort of does have merit. What's the trade in value of a 360?

I'd rather have a PRP from Best Buy or something than a warranty from Microsoft. Much easier. Plus I just remembered, isn't MS now making you pay your own shipping? Meh.

MS is NOT making me pay for shipping. Everything is covered 100%. I don't like the idea of getting a refurb. But I will give them a chance. The trade-in is only $180. I am not ready to give up $120 for this.

DenogginizerOS

Has anyone recently gone through MS to replace a launch system (in the last week or so)? If so, what condition was the refurb they sent you? Did it sound any different? Better or worse?

fse

damn msft won't send me a new/refurb HDD. mine doesn't work and I dunno if I want to do a walmart swap thingy. :(

fnmore1

Microsoft,,really needs to do something about their fricken customer service-
there complete buffoons..
My console died a month ago- promply sent it in for repair, got it back 2 weeks ago
lo-and behold...3 rings again- this time the PS was yellow- called that same day- spoke with someone who said they would sent out a new PS, I would rec. in in 5 days-
7 days go by, still no new unit, I call - spoke with a lady- she said- oh yes- its shipped- you should have it within a couple of days...5 more days go by- still no damn unit, I call again...he tells me- yeah, you should be rec. it soon- I tell him- that was the same exact response I got the last time- and I asked what day did it ship..and after fumbling around with this guy- he telling me- that i was supposed to send in my broken PS and they would send me out one- I said BS, the first guy-said I should send in the unit when I got the new one..back and forth with these retards for a half hour- he finally put me thru to a guy
who could speak english and compehend the language..he told me he was sorry that the
order was indeed placed , but never processed..and he would do process it now..I told him
I just spent a half hour going on and on with these tards- when he handled it in 5 seconds..blechh...

Dave Long

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Has anyone recently gone through MS to replace a launch system (in the last week or so)? If so, what condition was the refurb they sent you? Did it sound any different? Better or worse?

What you get back is totally random. When I sent my launch box in (October manufacture), I got back one built in November of 2005. That was about two months ago.

Others have gotten systems built this year while still others have received a new one. You just never know. The only thing you can be sure of is that you should use it pretty hard the first few days after you receive it to make sure it works.

DenogginizerOS

I am really torn over what to do. It seems that a pretty high percentage of the units that come back from the MS repair service are just as defective as the system being sent in initially for repair. I made the mistake of buying the MS warranty (partially because back at launch, a person had a better chance of getting a fixed or new system from MS than getting one from Best Buy or an EB). I realy feel like I am doing the WRONG thing by going out and buying a Core today and just trading or selling the refurb I get back once the repair is complete, and yet, I find the horror stories from people who have dealt with the MS repair service are giving me little to no hope for the best. Damn.

Razoric

Banned
The one I got back is dented up, had a snapped piece of plastic near were the HDD goes and is louder than the one that broke... but it's been working fine so far.

I'm going to suffer through this shit one and rebuy 360 sometime next year (maybe if they release a black one or something).

If you can wait, just get a refurb one back and get a newer 360 model next year.

DenogginizerOS

Razoric said:
The one I got back is dented up, had a snapped piece of plastic near were the HDD goes and is louder than the one that broke... but it's been working fine so far.

I'm going to suffer through this shit one and rebuy 360 sometime next year (maybe if they release a black one or something).

If you can wait, just get a refurb one back and get a newer 360 model next year.

The scratch and dent aspect of the refurb really PISSES me off. I went through this with my first Xbox. I honestly thought they would have corrected a lot of those issues. Instead, I have little to no faith that the system I will get back will be as good as the system I sent in.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
adamsappel said:
THE LIST is updated again. We've finally passed 200 dead consoles: 208. Um, yay? I separated out these folks as still holding vigil:

BuddyC*
FLUXCapacitor*
madmook*
Mareg*
mattiewheels*
Methodis*
pheeniks*
Rummy Bunz*
Shpankey*
Surfheart*

wow, didn't know i was being kept track of, heh. yeah, i feel lucky as hell that my dec-05 unit has yet to give me any problems. i got the ring of red maybe once or twice at the beginning, but nothing since. i'm reading all these stories and can't believe that some of the people i heard about months ago are still getting ****ed with! i pray that typing this doesn't jinx my system, though.

Razoric

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
The scratch and dent aspect of the refurb really PISSES me off. I went through this with my first Xbox. I honestly thought they would have corrected a lot of those issues. Instead, I have little to no faith that the system I will get back will be as good as the system I sent in.

Yup.. I was pissed. But it had been 2 weeks since I had played my 360 and knew it would be another 1-2 weeks to get this new one straightened out (and who knows, maybe the next one I'd get would be even WORSE than this one), not to mention Gears of War was coming out in a few days. So I decided to keep it.

If it really bugs you that much I'd suggest getting a new one... the only problem with that is, what if that one breaks too? You going to rebuy again?

My 11/05 launch unit was still alive when I traded it in for $350 credit at Game Rush several weeks ago. It had never shown red lights.

(I bought another 360...on sale, no less, but I just couldn't resist the chance to get great trade credit on a system that I felt was certain to die).

DenogginizerOS

Razoric said:
Yup.. I was pissed. But it had been 2 weeks since I had played my 360 and knew it would be another 1-2 weeks to get this new one straightened out (and who knows, maybe the next one I'd get would be even WORSE than this one), not to mention Gears of War was coming out in a few days. So I decided to keep it.

If it really bugs you that much I'd suggest getting a new one... the only problem with that is, what if that one breaks too? You going to rebuy again?

If I get a new one, I am buying the warranty through Best Buy so I can just walk in and get a brand new system. The Core aspect allows me to keep the hard drive in the future if I need to turn in a defective system to Best Buy.

shpankey

not an idiot
DenogginizerOS said:
If I get a new one, I am buying the warranty through Best Buy so I can just walk in and get a brand new system. The Core aspect allows me to keep the hard drive in the future if I need to turn in a defective system to Best Buy.
exactly what i plan on doing for every console i ever buy again.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Question for y'all.

I have been waiting for a buddy of mine to try to fix my system (I bought used, so couldn't couldn't get microsoft to fix it). Its been a month, and he still hasn't gotten around to working on it, so I finally gave up, and bought a core (with a warranty, dammit).

Thing is, neither of my wireless controllers work on it. I've had to use the one wired controller that came with it. Is there a way to get my wireless controllers to function with the Core system, or am I stuck?

AirBrian said:
Well, because TRU's extended warranty sucks, I'm getting BB to pricematch TRU's $100 gift card and picking up a 360 tomorrow. Hopefully MS has ironed out some of the manufacturing problems. If not, it better fail in the next 2 years. :lol :-(

Clever move. I've used the BB extended warranty twice now. I sent in for the MS warranty on the third one but wish I could have the BB one.

shpankey

not an idiot
mr jones said:
Question for y'all.

I have been waiting for a buddy of mine to try to fix my system (I bought used, so couldn't couldn't get microsoft to fix it). Its been a month, and he still hasn't gotten around to working on it, so I finally gave up, and bought a core (with a warranty, dammit).

Thing is, neither of my wireless controllers work on it. I've had to use the one wired controller that came with it. Is there a way to get my wireless controllers to function with the Core system, or am I stuck?
you gotta sync them up. on your 360 system itself is a little white button, hit that, and when your green lights start circling then you hit the little button on your wireless controller.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DenogginizerOS said:
I am really torn over what to do. It seems that a pretty high percentage of the units that come back from the MS repair service are just as defective as the system being sent in initially for repair.
It doesn't seem like MS has fixed the hardware issues - so there's still a good chance that you'll get a defective unit even if you go out and buy a brand new one. Of course, then you can just go back to the store and exchange it, which might work for you - I just personally don't feel like that route is worth the extra cash. Then again, if I was going through the hell that some of you folks have had to deal with, I'd either just sell the replacement and all my games, or just stash them away until MS put out a new revision. I guess I'm just not that committed.

The fact that they're sending out beat up refurbs really sucks though; refurbished items are supposed to be rigorously tested. It certainly doesn't seem that way here - they probably test the "broken" units that come in once, and if it turns on, they send it back out.

JB1981

vatstep said:
The fact that they're sending out beat up refurbs really sucks though; refurbished items are supposed to be rigorously tested. It certainly doesn't seem that way here - they probably test the "broken" units that come in once, and if it turns on, they send it back out.

I'm on my 2nd unit (first one died in August). The warranty window on my 2nd unit expires in a few days. I'm gonna pass it up. Not worth it. If my current system lasts til the next price drop I'll just buy a Core from Best Buy. It's not worth the hassle dealing with MS.

Top Bottom