• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

Toki767

If Durango can operate as a set top cable box then the subscription model would allow you to ditch the cable box and use that monthly fee for Durango and Live.

Could work

Theoretically I'm pretty sure they're setting it up so that it replaces the cable box, but it doesn't replace the cable service. You'd still have to pay Comcast or whoever to watch cable channels.

I'm flabbergasted at MS's stupidity if all this turns out to be true. There's nothing they could unveil to justify an online-only console for me. I wouldn't even contemplate purchasing if it was $50, let alone these ridiculous prices.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If Durango can operate as a set top cable box then the subscription model would allow you to ditch the cable box and use that monthly fee for Durango and Live.

Could work

You mean "Could work in the US and absolutely nowhere else in the world".

Krilekk

Banned
There are way too many sources at this point. There is no way this hasn't at least been true very recently and I do not expect them to change it at this point.

It was the same way with PS4 rumours. At one point it all became clear what the basic machine was with the sole exeption of 8GB of ram and even that we had few hints at.

Only all sources are just one source, the DAE leak. Thurrot even admits it, says always on is in the notes. And that he has no info regarding BC yet supposes it won't be there. Prices are also pure speculation, Microsofts leaks show they want to hit 299 at launch. This is all just speculation based on DAE. Totally worthless. People using the same source to speculate even more don't make new sources. Just more made-up shit.

nib95

Banned
-Internet required
-No BC
-Microsoft's focus slowly shifting away from games
-Heavily rumored to block used games
-$500

1349110594814.gif

This gen going to be a no brainer for me.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. I must say, $500 is more than I was expecting too. I thought their main trump card would be a killer price, guess not lol.

What's with all the people claiming that there Not going to buy the system because there isn't any backwards compatibility? You obviously own the Xbox 360 right now, why not just keep It plugged in? People really like to make phony claims on the site. You know yourself that you're still going to buy the next Xbox or the next PlayStation.
I won't, I already have a enough shit under my TV. If it's not BC, I'll wait a few years before picking up a Next box. It, and its games will be cheaper by then anyways. If the 'Online Only' thing turns out to be true, I'll skip it all together. Same with the PS4.

Only all sources are just one source, the DAE leak. Thurrot even admits it, says always on is in the notes. And that he has no info regarding BC yet supposes it won't be there. Prices are also pure speculation, Microsofts leaks show they want to hit 299 at launch. This is all just speculation based on DAE. Totally worthless. People using the same source to speculate even more don't make new sources. Just more made-up shit.
Sites like EDGE and VGleaks have multiple sources.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Pardon? Who says there is only one source?

w1y!

Banned
GAF YOU NEED TO SORT YOUR SHIT OUT

All your opinions are of a hardcore gamer group. Do you really think average jo gives a shit about always online when their Xbox is always connected to the socket anyway.

Do you not think the average jo will like being able to do things via a phone app.

Do you think the average jo will care about BC when all they want to do is play next gen games

Seriously you need to get a grip.

JJD

So basically, everything we already knew, plus what Jeff Rigby predicted for a long, long time (new version of 360).

I gotta say, things are not looking good. The subscription model costing 300 bucks is ridiculous. It should be cheaper.

If they keep the Live MP paywall no one sane would have a reason to buy the 500 bucks model just to play off line games (while connected to the internet). Subscription model for 95% of people is the way to go.

And frankly that's just in the US. Normally the EU and other regions get somewhat worse deals. US Live is by far the best version of the service.

I guess the only good news was the 100 bucks 360. It will sell really well on emerging markets. But Jeff said that Sony had a similar plan as well, besides we know Sony is going to or is already fabricating Cell at 22nm probably for the fourth major revision of the PS3.

We know the disadvantages of having the OS based on Windows 8, but I'm curious about the advantages and if devs. are going to fully utilize it.

More like wishful fans

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

All your opinions are of a hardcore gamer group. Do you really think average jo gives a shit about always online when their Xbox is always connected to the socket anyway.

Do you not think the average jo will like being able to do things via a phone app.

Do you think the average jo will care about BC when all they want to do is play next gen games

They will if they have internet issues, or if MS has server problems.

Theoretically I'm pretty sure they're setting it up so that it replaces the cable box, but it doesn't replace the cable service. You'd still have to pay Comcast or whoever to watch cable channels.
Oh yeah, for sure but I pay a monthly fee to the cable company for my cable box, with this setup I get the cable box (Durango) and Live. I don't know if that's the plan, just thinking out loud
You mean "Could work in the US and absolutely nowhere else in the world".

Well I'm in the US, I don't particularly worry or care about international cable companies, that's MS's problem not mine

chill out bro, you're gonna give yourself a hernia.

Cromat

Right now these rumors (which sound fairly reliable) are the only thing we can base our discussion on so I don't know what some people are expecting. It's not like if it all turns out to be false and the Next Xbox is actually a dream machine then people would still be holding a grudge.

If you want to play old games why don't you, you know, spend the next 8 months playing them and then hold onto your old console if you still have the urge? BC this next-gen is pointless. It was at least valuable on 360 because it upscaled, but the resolution isn't changing. Adding BC would be a huge cost that almost no one uses that wouldn't provide a better experience than buying a $99 360. It makes no sense for anyone.

Yeah, no. Games don't stop being fun just because a new generation comes about, but over a long enough period of time, the machines that play those games tend to stop working. Backwards compatibility is simply good insurance against the eventual breakdown of the older console. And go find those posts talking about not wanting multiple devices under the television, not caring to dig them out of closets, etc.

Furthermore, I would go so far to say not only would I want BC with 360, I want BC with Xbox 1. (If I had my way, PS4 would also be BC back to PS1.) Some of the most fun I have had in past few years have been on games preceding this generation, and I don't expect games to get any better next time around. They'll just continue to skimp on content that will be released later (or, um, on day one... and on disk) as DLC packs. The bird in hand (games I own and love) is better than 2 in a bush (games I suspect will simply be crap).

Lastly, when I say "no BC, I'm out," it means Microsoft has no hold over me personally. There's nothing tethering me to the Xbox ecosystem. I don't use Xbox Live. I don't have a favored franchise on 360, unlike when Halo had me hook, line, and sinker in the Xbox -> Xbox 360 transition. The only thing keeping me hooked to the thing would have been the continued ability to play old games. If that's gone, then I'm effectively a free agent. I only intend to buy one system, and the lack of BC would simply eliminate any advantage the next Xbox might have had. If this rumor is true, and if the other rumors circulating (always online) turn out to be true, then Microsoft can forget it.

However, I will note that this guy seems to be giving more "predictions" than any real "supposedly inside information."

Jb

I mean if Kinect is a pack in it'll probably add 50-100 bucks to the package, but without any official ord on what big new features the Durango will have, it's kinda hard to tell what would convince the mass market to shell out so much cash for an entertainment box that mostly does the stuff the 360/Apple TV/Roku box already does perfectly fine.

Why are MS letting this happen to their console? So much concerning information is coming out (always-online, Kinect, subscription) that they knew (or should have known) would be interpreted negatively. With Sony pushing out all this promising news on their console, and people responding with interest and anticipation, you think Microsoft would go for something similar.

Because neoGAF is not a massive circle jerk, that's why you didn't realize it.

The problem for your nonsense is that we didn't reach some 'conclusions', there have been a neverending stream of rumours from very reliable sources that have echoed a litany of similar features all of which are extremely negative on average for the consumer. As neoGAF is a community filled with consumers, it's no surprise why the majority would react harshly.

As for anyone 'heralding the end of Microsoft', I'm a consumer. 360 was my favorite console until Microsoft released that Kinect abomination. Then I just disliked all the consoles. But there's no doubt PS4 is far more exciting as a consumer than the new Xbox sounds to be, and this is not 'jumping to conclusions' it's simply evaluating what we know about PS4 versus what we do know about Durango and then combing through the most reliable rumours we have.

PS4 has been designed so far in every way to be extremely friendly for developers, indies, consumers. There has genuinely not been a single shred of negative news about the system except maybe that their initial reveal could have used more exciting videogames, which most of us know we'll see at E3.

And why wouldn't we be excited for PS4? it's a gamers dream machine.

But that's not all they have said. JUST from the initial reveal we got more news than that ->

+ Words from virtually every developer on the planet about the massive change in philosophy toward helping devs and having a friendly, easy development environment.
+ Words from any Indie that has bothered to comment about how great PS4's indie philosophy is in every conceivable way, with considerable detail about why it's so great
+ Words about how massively powerful the system is going to be, and what it's potential is now considering its unprecedented amount of super fast RAM.
+ Words about the SHARE button, which is one of those innovations that genuinely have huge implications for games without being a pointless gimmick.
+ Details about every aspect of the controller, from its touch pad and color indicators.
+ Details about the new PlayStation store and the various ways the new interface will be changing the game
+ Details about the new downloading schemes: start playing games as soon as you start a download.
+ Details about the new online infrastructure and what it will mean for games
+ Details from weird creepy Crash Bandicoot guy about the extensive change in approach toward courting anyone who wants to make anything on PS4.

In short, we got a plethora of information that gave us a massive idea about exactly where Sony was going with PS4.

I'd only agree with you that the current slate of game announcements was rather unimpressive (except that Drive Club game), but I hardly expected them to reveal very many of those before E3, which will be their big show. The important thing was understanding the philosophy behind the system, who is supporting it and what their outlook is, and we got all of that with the PS4 unveil.

I don't get why people are assuming many of those things are exclusive to the PS4.

For example, have we heard anyone see that developing for the Nextbox is difficult? I find it hard to believe that the 360 being very easy to develop for, and they then went and made things more difficult for the nextbox. I would assume that MS would carry their tradition of having great tools and integration forward. They are the ones that make VS, Windows, etc after all. There's no reason why it can't be easy to develop for.

I think people are also forgetting a whole bunch of the negative things we heard about Orbis before the official reveal. Durango seems to be in that same place, since there's no official information, only rumors. Sony has had the chance to spin up the PR machine, control the information and can make it sound like it's Jesus' second coming.

As an example, we don't know exactly how used games could work, or whether all PS4 games are required to have an offline mode. There's been rumors that PS4 games use activation codes, which means that we need a lot more details on how used games will work. I still think it's likely that you'll have to pay extra to get a new activation code for a used game. And for offline mode, I don't think it's actually a requirement. Sony says its up to the publishers, so PS4 gamers aren't immune to always-online. The only 100% confirmed game to require an internet connection is Destiny. The other strongly rumored games are Watch Dogs, AC4 and BF4, and there will likely be more added to this list.

I'm not trying to bash PS4, I'm going to buy one day one. I just think people need to take a step back and realize that we are not seeing the whole picture at this point. We have one platform that is in full PR mode controlling what info they release, and one that hasn't even been announced and is at the mercy of rumors.

I still think that an always-on requirement won't be as bad as people think it will be, but I'm one of those people who has a stable and fast internet connection. I'm a heavy MP gamer (NS2 and Dota 2 baby!), and I use services like Spotify and Netflix every day. Most of what I do on a PC requires an internet connection regardless and I'm fine with that.

Spongebob

Banned

The leak also says that they'd be going with an IBM CPU...

Please people, stop referencing a document from 3 years that MS have already diverted from.

No, a lot of them want to play Call of Duty with their buds. You think the next COD coming this fall won't be on 360? Why buy a $500 console if they can keep playing the latest Call of Duty with their friends?

Ding-Ding

Of course I have negative feelings about both machines. But at the end of the day I prefer MS multiplayer based approach to thier games, and im prepared to overlook other negatives because of this? I'm assuming they will introduce a new multiplayer based IP next gen, which will no doubt sell me the machine.

I just hope you are ready for the negatives that follow.

This BS may not bother you. However, if you get your wish and durango succeeds, then I guarantee you the anti-consumer hits will keep on coming.

Better buy some lubricant son, as MS are gonna fuck you so hard, your eyeballs will fall out.

does Thurrot know the difference between 1,2 Tflops and 1,84?.Curious that he says people ask him about the console shape and not about the GPU.

Right now these rumors (which sound fairly reliable) are the only thing we can base our discussion on so I don't know what some people are expecting. It's not like if it all turns out to be false and the Next Xbox is actually a dream machine then people would still be holding a grudge.

100% in agreement.

Zophar

Call me crazy, but it's almost like a hardcore demographic wants features which cater to the needs of a hardcore demographic.

If these rumors are true, then it seems like Walmart and Best Buy would have to put warnings on the Durangos they're selling that they can't be played off-line, or can't play used games. They'd risk a ton of returns if they didn't.

Roo

You're hilarious.
The average jo won't even care about the next Xbox if that price point is true.
Check your facts, bruh.

FlyFaster

I'm flabbergasted at MS's stupidity if all this turns out to be true. There's nothing they could unveil to justify an online-only console for me. I wouldn't even contemplate purchasing if it was $50, let alone these ridiculous prices.

If it was $50, no sub, I'd by it. Why not?

seriously tho I'll be getting a ps4.

imagine having a gaming console that wont work unless your internet is working.... wow, what to do when the internet is dead?

I can name a few countries where the internet is not as stable and have regular down time.

cause if they want to combat piracy this way, I hope hackers and pirates gather around the 720 cause they deserve it if they decide on going down this road.

L1NETT

When 40% of America haven't got high speed internet, there are an awful lot of "average jo(s)" who will care. More than that, the rest of the world will care when they can't PLAY GAMES because of the poor network infrastructure. The armed forces will not will be able to play games, if this always online requirment is true.

Do you think no "average joes" complained about Sim City and Diablo 3?

Most importantly, about half of the xbox userbase does not have XBL Gold. So half the userbase are not always "in the socket".

This decision will affect vast numbers of people and many more than you imagine. Do not come in here and pretend that every xbox owner is plugged into the internet and only the hardcore play their xbox's offline. That is not the case.

Could work

I'm sure the cable companies would have no problem with people giving all their business to MS instead.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Yes they will care when XBL is down or their isp is fucking up.

Our opinion matters more than the average joe. This is a games console.

imagine having a gaming console that wont work unless your internet is working.... wow, what to do when the internet is dead?

I can name a few countries where the internet is not as stable and have regular down time.

Believe it or not.... USA has alot of places that have spotty internet and a regular down time.

Top Bottom