• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

sleepykyo

They was plenty of competition. CvS, Tekken, SC, GG and VF. In the end Marvel is its own beast.

10 more years (or until the next Marvel ensemble movie happens). 10 more years.

Zissou

Marvel scratches a unique itch with its team building/team synergy elements, and there's really no alternative if that's what you're after.

vulva

You meant to quote Dahbomb, right?

Eh, I could random select a post in this thread and there's a 90% chance that comment would apply.

Not sure if I'm saying most posters have this attitude or just that karst and dahbomb post a lot. Maybe both?

Dahbomb

They was plenty of competition. CvS, Tekken, SC, GG and VF. In the end Marvel is its own beast.

10 more years (or until the next Marvel ensemble movie happens). 10 more years.
I said 2D games, we know the 3D fighters were alive and well. There was CvS2, MVC2 and 3rd Strike... GG came a bit later. All these games were like years old though. There were a product of their time.

Marvel scratches a unique itch with its team building/team synergy elements, and there's really no alternative if that's what you're after.
This so much. I would abandon Marvel 3 in a heartbeat for another game that offered that "itch".

sleepykyo

I said 2D games, we know the 3D fighters were alive and well. There was CvS2, MVC2 and 3rd Strike... GG came a bit later. All these games were like years old though. There were a product of their time.

This so much. I would abandon Marvel 3 in a heartbeat for another game that offered that "itch".

There was KoF and plenty of 2d fans would play 3d games. But as Zissou noted only Marvel went so far in team insanity. There isn't anything to migrate to, outside of possibly Skullgirls.

edit:
And Aris wins with Deathstroke via bang, bang.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There was KoF and outside of minions plenty of 2d and 3d fighting game players were would play for both teams. But as Zissou noted only Marvel went so far in team insanity. There isn't anything to migrate to, outside of possibly Skullgirls.
As much as they'd like it to, Skullgirls doesn't scratch that itch the same. The goals of SG are kind of different in general.

Marvel having its own long lasting lane has more to that itch. There's the fan service to both IPs and a sort of unique personality to the games where they promote creativity in a way I just don't get from other games. There's always something new to be discovered even years out in its life. I like following the evolution of the gameplay and "tech" more than I ever did following SF4. I like that the community's goal is always to break the fuck out of the game and find some cheaper shit to undo some other cheap shit. It always keeps it exciting for me.

When I see flashes of this stuff in other games like SG and more recently Injustice (part of the reason why I've done a 180 on it) it gets me intrigued, but I just know there's no replacing that main chick.

In general I don't think most fighting games compete really.. When something is fundamentally different in the mechanics of a fighting game it builds its own lane and niche pretty quickly and that's why so many communities coexist today. I'd think SF4 and SFxTK are the closest but even still there's a divide amongst players.

Zissou

There was KoF and outside of minions plenty of 2d and 3d fighting game players were would play for both teams. But as Zissou noted only Marvel went so far in team insanity. There isn't anything to migrate to, outside of possibly Skullgirls.

Skullgirls lacks the cast size (by a huge margin) and the characters with broad enough appeal (at least for now) to be a possible surrogate for marvel. It also isn't inherently team-based, since you can just play a single character if you like. I don't think it's particularly mechanically well-tailored for experimental team combinations and such either- nobody talks about it much, but things like the 4 attack button scheme marvel uses, along with the combo system/magic series stuff, means you can really easily mess around with a variety of characters and teams relatively easily.

Skullgirls lacks the cast size (by a huge margin) and the characters with broad enough appeal (at least for now) to be a possible surrogate for marvel. It also isn't inherently team-based, since you can just play a single character if you like. I don't think it's particularly mechanically well-tailored for experimental team combinations and such either- nobody talks about it much, but things like the 4 attack button scheme marvel uses, along with the combo system/magic series stuff, means you can really easily mess around with a variety of characters and teams relatively easily.
Mike said the weirdest thing on the last Salty Cupcakes pertaining to the four button attack scheme that blew my mind. Apparently Capcom some patent on the four button scheme for certain types of fighters or something like that which is one of the reasons they decided to go with six buttons.

I'm beating myself up right now for not timestamping that... but it's six hours worth of video. I'm in for a long night.

Edit: Twitch totally needs to have that youtube function that shows a small image of the video when you slide across the timer.

Zissou

Mike said the weirdest thing on the last Salty Cupcakes pertaining to the four button attack scheme that blew my mind. Apparently Capcom some patent on the four button scheme for certain types of fighters or something like that which is one of the reasons they decided to go with six buttons.

I'm beating myself up right now for not timestamping that... but it's six hours worth of video. I'm in for a long night.

Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat? How is that possibly something that can be patented? Blazblue uses a four button scheme, and I've never heard of them needing some kind of license for it. I'm curious to listen to that whenever you find it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat? How is that possibly something that can be patented? Blazblue uses a four button scheme, and I've never heard of them needing some kind of license for it. I'm curious to listen to that whenever you find it.

He's probably refering to the Lp->Mp on one button set up

Everything is patented. The reason it normally isn't an issue is if capcom tried to use it against somebody like Arc, they would fire back with their own bullshit patent on in game move lists or something.

For a small startup company with no patent defense portfolio? You either pay up, work around things or just hope for the best.

Zissou

Everything is patented. The reason it normally isn't an issue is if capcom tried to use it against somebody like Arc, they would fire back with their own bullshit patent on in game move lists or something.

For a small startup company with no patent defense portfolio? You either pay up, work around things or just hope for the best.

The patent system is fucking stupid. I'm guessing if you have plenty of cash, you could fight a potential lawsuit since the patent itself is for something obvious that shouldn't be patent-able, but indie fighting game devs don't have the resources for that kind of battle. Why is it that fighting games seem uniquely plagued as a genre when it comes to this shit?

Aris is probably using interactables smarter than anyone else atm, but I do wonder if interactables will end up being too OP for zoning characters since their MO is to camp a part of the screen anyway.

Makes sense that Aris would pick up on it first. Interactables are trollish as hell. The salt was felt whenever he caught Tyrant in the air with the log trap.

I think patents are also the reason VF continues to have training mode functions that no other fighter has.

Yep, even simple things like demonstrations of moves/combos from memory.

Unfortunately even having the money to fight it isn't going to work well. Even in the very unlikely event that you win, the other company would just pull out 100 more to fuck you over.

It was a constant worry back when I had a software company. The basic conclusion was we just had to do as best as we could to not violate anything that had been "news worthy" and just hope for the best (thank you free trade agreements). It isn't a good way to do business or plan for the future.

Chindogg

Aris is probably using interactables smarter than anyone else atm, but I do wonder if interactables will end up being too OP for zoning characters since their MO is to camp a part of the screen anyway.

I play all zoners on Themyscira temple. Playing GL, a power character, the corners have nothing for them to spam if you close in on them, the lion head statues that breath fire can be removed by throwing them, and you can throw the tree and fire pit on each corner.

If you happen to transition to the docks, all they have is the cannon in the left corner. The barrels toward the right are slow rolling and easily avoidable. Meanwhile you can throw the cargo hanging from a net and the barrels much faster than they can. Its the perfect stage for power characters against tech characters, especially against zoners like Deathstroke and Harley Quinn.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll play Injustice when they put Supergirl in. I keep thinking today is Friday. No wonder I kept thinking to myself why Chris G isn't in Cali by now.

Blazblue uses Light - Medium - Heavy - Drive, which is different from any prominent fighting game at that time and itself influenced the MvC3 button layout. Arcsys never used the same layout even for their own games, GG was Punch - Kick - Light Slash - Heavy Slash, P4A was Weak - Strong - Weak Persona - Strong Persona. So I have a hard time understanding why Skullgirls should be allowed to copypasta the MvC2 button layout rather than coming out with their own button layout.

Zissou

Blazblue uses Light - Medium - Heavy - Drive, which is different from any prominent fighting game at that time and itself influenced the MvC3 button layout. Arcsys never used the same layout even for their own games, GG was Punch - Kick - Light Slash - Heavy Slash, P4A was Weak - Strong - Weak Persona - Strong Persona. So I have a hard time understanding why Skullgirls should be allowed to copypasta the MvC2 button layout rather than coming out with their own button layout.

Jojo did the four button light/medium/heavy/'button that does magical character dependent shit' layout way before BB (Melty uses a four button layout too, I think). It's not like the six button layout they ended up using for SG was original either.

USD

Kayo Police: "Green Lantern and Nightwing are my boyfriends."

She wants to play Injustice, but in Japan the game is only releasing for PS3 (and Wii U, June 6). She doesn't have a PS3 arcade stick.

Then she posted this pic... #Batman #myboyfriend

PYWeJM6.jpg

USD

Beyond NCR, there are a lot of tournaments going on this weekend.

First, KVO 2013 x GODSGARDEN x a-cho (KGA 2013) in Kyoto, Japan. That's this Saturday, April 27 at 12AM EDT (Friday 9PM PDT). I wrote up an article on SRK last week, so you can refer to that for most of the relevant information. Presumably GODSGARDEN will be streaming it, I'm not entirely sure though.

These are the qualified/invited players for the 32-player main tournament. There are 10 slots still open, with 8 for the same-day qualifier and 2 decided by a vote with the participating players.

SIO
VX
Taketani
yokohama_modok
Chou
Banbaban
ABEGEN
Kyamei
Emumaki
Mamespider
kubo
G.X
Masashi
Udaterasu
Ikemen Riajuu (Yuki)
Hiroshi G
Comtemps
OGTY
Sunahebi
Nemo
Frieda
Kusoru

USD

Also Friday night/Saturday morning is STARTING OVER -strange relation- (JP), an SSFIV AE 3on3 tournament in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Saturday April 24 at 12AM EDT (Friday 9PM PDT)
CLUB SEGA Shinjuku West Gate
SSFIV AE 3on3
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/arcadiamag

Entry List

1. Kanzen Shouri Suru Hazu no 3-Nin Gumi UC
Naio (Guy)
Saitouz (Ken)
Gonzalez (Seth)

2. Shikao wo Ippatsu de Shitameru Suzuki
Shikao (Guy)
Aiki (Gouken)
Akut (Sakura)

3. C.C.N.
Mizoguchi (Dudley)
Origin (Gouken)
Nosuke (Cammy)

4. Shokyuusha Blanka 3
Chris (Blanka)
Soya (Blanka)
Garyou (Blanka)

5. Sukebe Club 2
Maropipi (Makoto)
Superpippo (M.Bison)
Moguro Fukuzou (Balrog)

6. Adachi Ni-Gun?
Shintou@Hetare (Blanka0
ALBEL (Oni)
ANGUS (T.Hawk)

7. Sanbiki no Buta
Marty (Rufus)
tkm$ (Rufus)
Kasakotsu FC (Rufus)

8. Shimizuya
Chuu Ashi Zesshou TKD (El FUerte)
Shungoku Neurosis (M.Bison)
Machaboo (Fei Long)

9. Oretachi
NISHIKIN (Blanka)
Nekojita (Abel)
Nashi-kun (Juri)

10. Bundoki
Naruzou (Sakura)
Tamaa (Akuma)
Yoshioka (Akuma)

11. Tsuntsun Oppai.
Chichimonda Honda ∞ (M.Bison)
Tsun (Ibuki)
opa (Balrog)

12. Mikado Dekin-Zei
Tomoki (Abel)
Narudo (Ibuki)
Bunta (El Fuerte)

13. YUBIKEN A
Super Santarouman (Sagat)
Shin (Juri)
Kim1234 (M.Bison)

14. YUBIKEN B
Karipaku (Cody)
Akahoshi (Zangief)
MYKELL RYU [Sugoi] (Sakura)

15. Atsumattara Kiseki
Kenzou (Akuma)
Kiharu Boy (Sagat)
Okkun (Ibuki)

16. Mitokoumon
PE (Gen)
Mahou Shoujo Zangitan (Zangief)
Twiggy (T.Hawk)

17. Raiotto 2013
-Rai- (Cammy)
melo (Makoto)
Yokubou Highlight (Makoto)

18. THE 3-Meisama (T . T)
Tangu (Blanka)
Maa (Vega)
Meiva (Sakura)

19. DDKYSP "Dandori Dake Kunde YariSute Poi"
Bonbi (Cammy)
Sakuran BOY (Vega)
Yukihisaki (Juri)

20. CHinsukou Geinin
Oota (Ryu)
Fuhajin (T.Hawk)
Flag Breaker Mizutani (M.Bison)

21. Gachien 2013
EX Guran (E.Honda)
Takanami@Rasu (M.Bison)
Jackknife Itou (Dee Jay)

22. Arare Obasan no Karasu Maruyaki Gohan
Araream (Cammy)
Karasu. (Adon)
Oomori Gohan (Sakura)

23. Mukitapipan
Mukii (Adon)
Asutapi (Cammy)
pantyjones (Zangief)

24. Shippu Jinrai Imoberos
Kerberos (Sagat)
Shippu Jinrai Ken Mas (Ken)
Imo LEVEL Hiyori (Vega)

25. Rousui-Zei
KEENG (T.Hawk)
Sayonara, Emperuto (Balrog)
Banuuno (Akuma)

26. Kutsushita Fechi Tarou☆Girochin
Meimomo (Guy)
Manobi (Rose)
Girochin (Rufus)

27. Waseda Shugojin
Super Maruo (Sagat)
Shibu,. (Cammy)
Hacchin (Chun-Li)

28. Shin'urayasu-Zei
Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ Ginkou (Balrog)
Nakata (M.Bison)
Donchun (Balrog)

29. Seitouha
Togawa (Ryu)
Hanamaruki (Sagat)
Kyoku (Yang)

30. Sukebe Club
Sukebelgian (Cody)
Usu (Makoto)
Fuujan Raajan (Dee Jay)

31. Ue kara Sukebe
Hyou Barunyuu (Gen)
Subayai Ojisan (El Fuerte)
Aonoi Daisuki Ennui (Cammy)

32. Gyakuten
Gacha Boy (Sagat)
Wanchan Tarou (Makoto)
Shakapo (Yun)

33. Antokimo Shino-chan
Akimo (E.Honda)
Shino-chan (Oni)
Anton (Gouken)

34. Chuu Pan Chikusho
Hachimaruhachi-san (Yang)
WORLEN (Rose)
Kucchan (Ryu)

35. Enjoy-Zei
Shiroken (Fei Long)
Ebihara (Ibuki)
Zakiyama-kun (Guy)

36. Team [Yakuwari Ronri]
Chokinbako (Cammy)
Yakuwari Ronri ha Makuri (Vega)
Chinpei (Yang)

37. Soredemo Chrome nara...
Dominon (Ibuki)
Shinta (Chun-Li)
Chrome (Fei Long)

38. Ootama Korogashi
Ohnen (Ryu)
Dokkoi Shouichi (Yun)
Tamanen (Rufus)

39. Shibuya Enjoy-Zei
Oppore (Guile)
Zegen (Guile)
Faraday no Housoku (Chun-Li)

40. Yoshimura-Ke ha Nomimono
Oota (Akuma)
Hkagi (Blanka)
Tkaharu (Akuma)

41. M yori!
Masamori (M.Bison)
kleiner (El Fuerte)
NonP (C.Viper)

42. Sayama no Megane Hige Ojisan
Ojisan (Yang)
Yuu (Akuma)
Papas (Sakura)

43. Buruburu
MGT (Adon)
Vivi (Chun-Li)
Y (Cammy)

44. Ketsurin Ynaka
Kekkonyama (Rufus)
Catherine Tanaka (El Fuerte)
YK (Juri)

45. Silent Hills
Rope (Cody)
Haruhiko (Seth)
Pitchirou (Sakura)

46. Mitsato LOVE Namidairo
Gachipan (Ryu)
Chan★ (Juri)
Keita (Sakura

47. DIOR-san Kantoku Onegaishimasu
Shinjuku Honda (E.honda)
Keibin (Ryu)
Yanapiii (Vega)

48. Hentai Fukumen Sanjuushi
ΩTsunami GofukutenΩ (El Fuerte)
Shishou (El Fuerte)
Shibama (El Fuerte)

49. Sei JOY
Yossan (Juri)
Consomme (Balrog)
Charisma (Adon)

50. Uchishiba Muzai
Dangerous Yoshiaki (Cammy)
SperMa (Akuma)
Kikumon Jirou (Zanigef)

51. Hara Pan Kurai Houdai
Marugori (Makoto)
Nmura (Evil Ryu)
Kapa (Fei Long)

52. Isono-Ke
Masao (Dhalsim)
ysk (Rufus)
Yakou (M.Bison)

53. Team Gatai Yosugiizu
Togashi Genji (E.Honda)
Nave (Vega)
Nodhalsim (Dhalsim)

54. Mizutama Noppoozu
aiai (Juri)
KID (Balrog)
Randy (Abel)

55. Tenkei
Noba (Gen).
Chakaoka (Cammy)
Takada (Sagat)

56. Mohammed to Kinniku to Ishi
Mohamedo (M.Bison)
Ikego (Gen)
Ryokke (Fei Ong0

57. Zen'in Sekkou
Fore (T.Hawk)
Akemino (E.Honda)
Gishigishi-kun (Juri)

58. Muteki no EX Strike de Nantoka Shite Kudasaiyooo!!
Ramomo (Vega)
Icchii (Juri)
defalia (Cammy)

59. Noukou Senshi Dhalsamu
Dhalsamu (Dhalsim)
Tiishi (Sagat)
Jean Valjean (Cody)

60. DJ no Ketsu wo Okkakeru Cammy
Kazy (Cammy)
U5 (Cammy)
Aongu (Dee Jay)

Character Breakdown

Code:
Cammy     14 7.8%
M.Bison   10 5.6%
Juri       9 5.0%
El Fuerte  8 4.4%
Sagat      8 4.4%
Sakura     8 4.4%
Akuma      8 4.4%
Balrog     7 3.9%
Vega       7 3.9%
Blanka     7 3.9%
Rufus      7 3.9%
Makoto     6 3.3%
Ryu        6 3.3%
E.Honda    5 2.8%
T.Hawk     5 2.8%
Ibuki      5 2.8%
Fei Long   5 2.8%
Adon       4 2.2%
Guy        4 2.2%
Cody       4 2.2%
Zangief    4 2.2%
Yang       4 2.2%
Chun-Li    4 2.2%
Abel       3 1.7%
Dhalsim    3 1.7%
Dee Jay    3 1.7%
Rose       3 1.7%
Gen        3 1.7%
Gouken     3 1.7%
Guile      2 1.1%
Ken        2 1.1%
Seth       2 1.1%
Yun        2 1.1%
Oni        2 1.1%
C.Viper    1 0.6%
Dudley     1 0.6%
Evil Ryu   1 0.6%
Dan        0 0.0%
Hakan      0 0.0%

USD

Also Friday through Sunday is Stunfest 2013 in France. I myself haven't done much research on it, so I'll have to give you more information later.

On Sunday is TGN Playse #1, a DOA5 and SCV tournament in Japan.

Also Sunday is Zecchou 2013, an SSFIV AE 5on5 in Nagoya, Japan.

Busaiku

People qualified for Arc Revolution Cup is "finalized".
There will be 2 last chance qualifiers for the games on the day of the event so that's why there are only 62.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R said:
Slayer: Yuuryou Driver F, En, Hase, Dogura, Tanabata, Kanata

Dizzy: Makki, Kisshi, Takehara, Bonanza, Aonao

Faust: OsakaB, Nage, Kiisha, LEO
May: LARK, Kedako, Azesuke, Godolphin
Johnny: Magatoro(aka Satou), BLEED, Kabegiwa no DC, DKJ

Zappa: eki-chan, Chonari, Ashura
Potemkin: FAB, Konsome, Haaken
Millia: Woshige, Nabe, JUN
Sol: NOB, Roi, Kishitaka
Jam: Teresa, Jajamaru, LOX
I-No: Erufi-yu, U-Zen, Koichi
Axl: Ibe-san(aka Nekomimi), AZ, Jyun
Eddie: Tsu, STS(aka Toruso), Mani

Ky: Rozu, Hayashi
Chipp: Samitto, Senhai
Bridget: Ruu, saryu
Venom: Fino, Blackberry
Anji: AGF, Taka

A.B.A: Teroda(aka Tsubu)
Justice: Tsujikawa
Kliff: BoB
Baiken: Sonmin O(aka Kuni)
Robo: GAKU

Holy Order Sol
Testament

Persona 4 Arena said:
Hokkaido 1: Denpa (Naoto)
Hokkaido 2: DAI-CHAN (Yu)
Aomori: Yuu-sama (Yu)
Miyagi: Keineko (Mitsuru)
Fukushima: Kaito (Teddie)
Yamagata: Shotahbou (S.Labrys)
Tokyo 1: Shuuto (Mitsuru)
Tokyo 2: Koichi (Aigis)
Tokyo 3: Nerina (S.Labrys)
Tokyo 4: pet (Kanji)
Tokyo 5: Irusu (Mitsuru)
Tokyo 6: Tomo (S.Labrys)
Tokyo 7: Oogi (Yukiko)
Tokyo 8: Yume (Aigis)
Tokyo 9: Nakiri (Kanji)
Ibaraki: Bonbe (Yu)
Tochigi: Hagiwara (Teddie)
Gunma 1: Mui (Aigis)
Gunma 2: Sakuma (Labrys)
Saitama 1: Oku-san Nikuya desu (Elizabeth)
Saitama 2: Domii (Akihiko)
Saitama 3: Souji (Teddie)
Chiba 1: Tetsu! (Chie)
Chiba 2: Minori (Mitsuru)
Chiba 3: Pika (Aigis)
Kanagawa 1: DIE-chan (Mitsuru)
Kanagawa 2: Kaichou (Chie)
Kanagawa 3: Koma (Labrys)
Kanagawa 4: Kameten (Yosuke)
Aichi 1: Sagara (S.Labrys)
Aichi 2: Tsujidou Ai (Aigis)
Aichi 3: Secchan (Aigis)
Aichi 4: Waka-bou (Mitsuru)
Gifu: Nikuman (Chie)
Nagano: Mitafu (Aigis)
Shizuoka: Hou-chan (Yukiko)
Toyama: Rodomu (Aigis)
Yamanashi: STD (Chie)
Ishikawa: Hama~ (Yu)
Niigata: Blue Hawaii (Kanji)
Osaka 1: Yamashita (Kanji)
Osaka 2: Gurupo (Aigis)
Osaka 3: Maddo (Teddie)
Osaka 4: Kyamei (Mitsuru)
Osaka 5: Kana (Chie)
Nara: Moke (Akihiko)
Mie: Narihei (Yukiko)
Kyoto: Hae (Chie)
Hiroshima 1: Purepure (Labrys)
Hiroshima 2: Raru-tan (Chie)
Kagawa: Doubt (Yu)
Shimane: Hirakata (Yukiko)
Okayama: Narukami Aa-sama (Yu)
Ehime: Ore-kon (Chie)
Kumamoto: Shikkii (Yu)
Saga: Takarin (Aigis)
Fukuoka 1: Ji (Chie)
Fukuoka 2: MENchou (Mitsuru)
Miyazaki: Maro (Aigis)
Kagoshima: Misaka Minato (Naoto)
Nagasaki: Moja (Teddie)
Okinawa: K-tai (Yu)

11: Aigis
9: Chie
8: Yu, Mitsuru
5: Teddie
4: Yukiko, Kanji, S.Labrys
3: Labrys
2: Naoto, Akihiko
1: Yosuke, Elizabeth

BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma said:
hokkaidou 1: katamari [ denpa ] ( taokaka )
hokkaidou 2: noze ( hazama )
hokkaidou 3: chou sensei shinja isuke ( valk )
fukushima : hage ( tager )
miyagi : mio ( litchi )
aomori : akiba ( carl )
iwate : takahiro [ kuresu ] ( tsubaki )
yamagata : konan ( tsubaki )
tokyo 1: abarenja (mu-12)
tokyo 2: mitsurugi ( hazama )
tokyo 3: goro ( makoto )
tokyo 4: hiyoko ( arakune )
tokyo 5: kyomusou ( hakumen )
tokyo 6: souji ( arakune )
tokyo 7:RYO ( relius )
tokyo 8:wiki no nin [ shiro ] ( valk)
tokyo 9: zekuso ( valk )
kanagawa 1: nisshi ( carl )
kanagawa 2:TSB/Dora[ dora ] ( bang )
kanagawa 3: akiba rika [ nata kishi ] ( hakumen )
kanagawa 4:tiku ( tager )
chiba 1: yutta ( ragna )
chiba 2: tahichi ( azrael )
saitama 1: kurenai ya ( noel )
saitama 2: daiwa ( platinum )
gunma : razu ( carl )
ibaraki : Over Driver ( 32 ) [ denpo ] ( ragna )
tochigi : yuitaba ( valk )
aichi 1: mame ( taokaka )
aichi 2: aru ( hazama )
aichi 3: ikegami ( bang )
gifu: koike [Puromete] ( litchi )
nagano : watanabe asa tomo chanwo oshi tai [ yoshiki ] (nu)
yamanashi : hijiri yo ( jin )
shizuoka : pikuri ( tsubaki )
ishikawa : uma no hone ( valk )
niigata : kin'iro no shitsuji [ kin tager ] ( valk )
toyama : shieru ( hakumen )
oosaka 1: tsujikawa ( taokaka )
oosaka 2: fenricchi ( jin )
oosaka 3: dogura ( azrael)
wakayama : galileo ( litchi )
nara : matoi ( taokaka )
mie : ten kou koromo [N otoko ] ( rachel )
kyouto : yuma @ ginga (nu)
hiroshima : pichi ( bang )
kouchi : kogatan ( ragna )
ehime : eruo ( jin )
okayama : kugui hyou ( tager )
kagawa : shuu ( varuken )
yamaguchi : kazu @ ginga ( tsubaki )
tokushima : raru ( jin )
shimane : kikuchiyo ( litchi )
fukuoka 1: konbanha Gackt desu [ film ] ( hakumen )
fukuoka 2: suou momoko [ mucchi ] ( carl )
miyazaki : gilgamesh [ hoan ] (mu)
kagoshima : pinku no akuma (Pink Devil) [NON] ( tager )
okinawa : zonbi ( tager )
saga : naoya ( taokaka )
ooita :poty ( litchi)
kumamoto : hasenoha @ azumi sama oshi ( hazama )
nagasaki : tentama ( ragna )

7: Valkenhayn
5: Taokaka, Tager, Litchi
4: Carl, Jin, Hazama, Tsubaki, Hakumen, Ragna
3: Bang
2: Mu, Arakune, Azrael, Nu
1: Noel, Makoto, Platinum, Rachel, Relius
0: Izaya, Bullet, Amane

Q&A W/ SHADYK: COMPETITIVE DRIVE, FIGHTING GAMES, AND UMVC3 TOP TIER LIST.

I have some time on my hands and just wanted to help fill up our blog content a bit, so in this piece I’ll be answering a couple questions I get asked a lot by our stream viewers at www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive. This was a lot longer than I expected, so sorry in advance! Feel free to leave a comment (or berate my opinions) below or tweet me at www.twitter.com/shady_k!

Why don’t you ever travel to major tournaments?

I love UMvC3. It’s pretty much my favorite game of all time. But, I’m always asked why I don’t travel and enter major tournaments often and my answer to that is, basically, my competitive drive to win isn’t what it was ten years ago (I may look young, but I am actually pretty old). It doesn’t mean I don’t like playing it. I LOVE playing it. I just like spectating it and commentating it even more. I consider myself a student of the game and pride myself in knowing a lot about it. While it’d be nice to be able to consistently place at tournaments, winning just isn’t my strong suit. That being said, I’m constantly thinking of UMvC3; strategies, content, events, and how to get our local scene players better at it.

What do you think of the fighting game scene in general? Why don’t you play other fighting games anymore?

This is where I’ll probably get a lot of flack from my peers… I was a strong Street Fighter player at one point and I really liked the Street Fighter 4 series. However, I don’t really like how much we have to clump fighting games together. I ONLY care about UMvC3 and its growth. I know it’s selfish and even off-putting, but I’d rather see everyone focus their skills into one game; a game that everyone loves to watch and casually play. Not that I mind or care that there are some fighting game players who play multiple games, but I feel that UMvC3 is where it’s at when it comes to broadcasting entertainment. UMvC3 is the most superficially and broadly appealing fighting game out (thanks to the amazing presentation, graphics, sound effects, characters, etc) and I like that your regular Joe Schmoe TwitchTV watcher can tune in and be entertained just by the aesthetics and hype alone. I like that you don’t have to know all the subtleties and nuances of it to enjoy watching it. Now, I DO enjoy watching high-level Street Fighter, but only because I feel like I have a good understanding of the game. Not so sure about your casual stream viewer, though.

Also:
We’ll be hosting a special When’s Marvel Weekly, pre-NCR edition this Thursday at 8:00 PM PST and will feature many NCR-attending top players, including EG. Justin Wong, MCZ. Xian, Neo, omgitzandre, XRay, Kbeast, Rattana, Noel Brown, and Darryn! This event is sponsored by: FGTVLive, Soundblaster, Capsule Entertainment, Console Combat, and TwitchTV. Tournament starts at 8:00 PM PST

Nyoro SF

7: Valkenhym
5: Taokaka, Tager, Litchi
4: Carl, Jin, Hazama, Tsubaki, Hakumen, Ragna
3: Bang
2: Mu, Azrael, Nu
1: Noel, Makoto, Platinum, Rachel, Relius
0: Izaya, Bullet, Amane

Ugh.

Also laughing at the number of Slayers and Dizzies. Also:

11: Aigis
9: Chie
8: Yu, Mitsuru
5: Teddie
4: Yukiko, Kanji, S.Labrys
3: Labrys
2: Naoto, Akihiko
1: Yosuke, Elizabeth

That top top tier.

vocab

ShadyK's real reason for not going to tournaments is that he has nightmares every night of losing to a Haggar/hulk/Sent team on stream. His doesn't want nightmare to become reality.

I had a fever dream last night that Capcom made a Capcom vs Capcom fighting game. It was a 2-d fighter that was 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 with a LOL pay model (rotate characters, pay to keep) as well as customizations and heros & heralds cards you can earn or buy.

Only one person per side is active but assists from the other player can be used. The 2nd player has three choices of assist they can use but can be interrupted by getting attacked.

There was item collecting and "feeding" your assists to make them better or something. I am struggling to remember but it felt like there were a ton of meters to watch. also damage number were flying off.

Dahbomb

I had a fever dream last night that Capcom made a Capcom vs Capcom fighting game. It was a 2-d fighter that was 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 with a LOL pay model (rotate characters, pay to keep) as well as customizations and heros & heralds cards you can earn or buy.

Only one person per side is active but assists from the other player can be used. The 2nd player has three choices of assist they can use but can be interrupted by getting attacked.

There was item collecting and "feeding" your assists to make them better or something. I am struggling to remember but it felt like there were a ton of meters to watch. also damage number were flying off.
I wouldn't say I have dreamed about it but I have certainly thought about it.

*H&H should be a separate mode that is available to play online and offline in every mode. H&H cards have to be acquired either through getting like BP points or by buying them. Each character can equip 3 cards.

*There are 2 modes... 1 plaver vs 1 player or 3 players vs 3 players. 1v1 is your standard UMVC3 type game where 1 player controls 3 characters. 3v3 is a new mode where 3 actual players play against 3 other players. The point character is played normally by the player but he can't use assists, cross over counters, DHCs etc. The secondary/anchor players can use their assists to help the point character, DHC in after hypers, crossover counter from block stun and follow up TACs. I am still working on the logistics for THCs but I would say that that the point character can do that. Non point characters can ask for tags but its the point players decision. In 3v3 mode any move used as an assist will come as an assist (so sometimes you can use Missiles, other times you can use Plasma beam in the same match) but in the 1v1 mode you have the option of customizable assists but you can still only pick one.

*All characters unlocked from the start but you have to unlock/buy cosmetics. You can even buy announcers, different HUDs, different in game music etc.

Horseress

I wouldn't say I have dreamed about it but I have certainly thought about it.

*H&H should be a separate mode that is available to play online and offline in every mode. H&H cards have to be acquired either through getting like BP points or by buying them. Each character can equip 3 cards.

*There are 2 modes... 1 plaver vs 1 player or 3 players vs 3 players. 1v1 is your standard UMVC3 type game where 1 player controls 3 characters. 3v3 is a new mode where 3 actual players play against 3 other players. The point character is played normally by the player but he can't use assists, cross over counters, DHCs etc. The secondary/anchor players can use their assists to help the point character, DHC in after hypers, crossover counter from block stun and follow up TACs. I am still working on the logistics for THCs but I would say that that the point character can do that. Non point characters can ask for tags but its the point players decision. In 3v3 mode any move used as an assist will come as an assist (so sometimes you can use Missiles, other times you can use Plasma beam in the same match) but in the 1v1 mode you have the option of customizable assists but you can still only pick one.

*All characters unlocked from the start but you have to unlock/buy cosmetics. You can even buy announcers, different HUDs, different in game music etc.

Aw fuck, I wanna learn how to make games =~~

Top Bottom