• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shippo: A worse jinx than Krillin.

"Wow he totally beat him!" in any shonen = He's definitely still alive

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've always felt like one of these times Kagome saying sit will make Inuyasha fall right on his sword.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jd9q2qz92emh_surprised_face.png
So much stuff tonight... Had some fun moments to play around with!

zlCfzQ-2BxsGUa352e

zlCfzQ-2NRkPFrJmTz
zlCfzQ-2T2YhJlN13B

zlCfzQ-2Xhs1fYYMci
zlCfzQ-2cLsDX6kOnf

zlCfzQ-2p_8dDpid99
zlCfzQ-2sv00jYBlBr

zlCfzQ-2vbwFymqfI1
zlCfzQ-22WsNDNqVFp

zlCfzQ-3Iz4c7-PlC3
zlCfzQ-3PggwrtrMew

zlCfzQ-3UcUPESzU8i

Later.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF

I can say without hyperbole that Tenchi Muyo GXP is the most sexist show I've ever witnessed.
3 of the 4 original women were established as strong (with only one of them actually having a badass moment), but as soon as they met Seina they turned into a weak and submissive morons that cried at the thought of living without him. This is nothing more than a PG-13 version of those stories where a strong woman is fucked into a submissive slut.
And then four women that while previously established, still feels like they came out of nowhere and manage to rape their way into his harem. Once again filling the double standard that female-on-male rape is okay.

I know the show's director did Excel Saga, and I know that show is very random. But here's the thing, Excel Saga was established to be like that, and it's based on a manga with material to take from. GXP is in an already established universe with its own mythos and ideas, and he turned it into a bullshit random comedy. It wasn't even funny.

The show's theme of "luck" was pointless. The first few episodes establish Seina has bad luck, by showing everything he passes collapsing. But after a while they just forget about this, and when they do remember they treat it like power levels. Luck isn't something that can be measured on a Scouter!

Fuck this show, fuck everyone involved in its creation, bring on One Piece!

Raxus

Morning ToonamiGAF! In celebration of One Piece starting this week I have changed my avatar for one week and one week only!

In place of the legendary 'gief I put in my favorite Straw Hat! Tony Tony Chopper! Let's get hyped everybody!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
G'morning guys :) Glad you liked the Sketch Dump: I always wanted to draw some Eruka, I enjoyed her Frog personality ever since I first saw the show, and ran with the chance to point out those unique eyes and Frog-dotted lips / cheeks of hers; along with "THE FINGER!", I wish they were full Miiverse post, ha.

I sat there through FMA, wonder what I wanted to dra- OK, IT'S THAT EPISODE! I'm glad it came out so well!!

---

Comments on the shows with the acronym names:

IGPX: I loved the pacing of the show, personally. I liked the fact it would pull action from one point/episode to the next, actually bother with character development, play with your expectations, and overall just felt more like a movie broken into eps, rather than an episodic series that relied on a clearly defined, formulatic "moster of the week" formula. I thought the show felt unique all the way through, and I loved the fact that a US-funded anime actually turned out with something more than just "endless fight scenes! ALL THE TIME!", but actually had solid characterization. It's music and presentation still make me categorize it as "sophisticated", expecially for it's audience and time of creation.

GXP: Sexist? Eh... that seems too serious to accuse the show of. I still view GXP as a parody of the harem genre that Tenchi Muyo created; it's a reaction to what harem had become, using the concept of Tenchi (a normal guy amidst crazy, irregular girls.)

I like the fact it gave us an "end" to the relationships, unlike REAL Tenchi Muyo; the end might have been "so... he gets all of them!" but hey, we needed a Harem series that actually took this as a possibility, rather than the obvious "Just get with the obvious forerunner Tsundere chick!" feeling that Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, or Negima! would leave us with.

Masaki Kajishima proved to me long ago, that Tenchi Muyo (And it's sister shows, like El Hazard) wasn't a show about an awesome smooth dude runnin' with a bunch of awesome girls, by default; his works are more about average guys being thrust into fantastic situations, and somehow growing enough to conquer them. He didn't take from Tenchi what OVA fans did, nor did the production crews; they take the shows as ways to show of a certain mega-universe, where an ordinary guy can lead an extra-ordinary life.

I still agree with those old reviews, quoted earlier in this nights post, about the show; I do think I'd rate it lower NOW, because It's part of a direction that I'm tired of seeing modern anime follow. GXP felt like a ridiculous exception for me back then, but now I see so many shows that seem to over-rely on titilation /absurdity, yet still wanna be taken seriously.

Truly, I'm kinda glad GXP ran on Toonami. There's SO MANY STRAIGHT-FORWARD SHONEN shows airing on the block, that something that's more about character-interaction and slapstick is actually appreciated.

---

So as glad as I am to see One Piece coming next week, I have to admit, A part of me is really looking forward to seeing what thay have beyond it. I've grown past the point where a show is only good if there's fight scenes on it; watching Michiru Satomi fight to support her grandfather's legacy team and team name, at only 18 years old, with people all around her misunderstanding her silence to them, and constant calls to others, was one of the more impactful situations of the shows last night, to me. Watching the build up, only to get the story of "Oh, yeah, I failed, and we've been sold!"... then suddenly interjected with "But somehow, things worked out, and at the 11th hour!" was a nice ride, and meant so much more than *SCREEEEAMMMM.....ATTACK!*, shonen-style, lol.

With the 3 modern kings of Shonen, FMA, and FMA's scheduele successor in Japan, all on this block now, I hope what we get next acually pushed a bit harder to the "adult" side of things, like Bebop. With a cast that's working through more developed, grounded issues, has some actual history to work through, rather than seeing everything for the first time, and actually fight deeper situations than "who'se hotblooded bravado will win THIS WEEK?!?"

dan2026

Toonami really need to get themselves some Jojo.

Or some Hunter x Hunter.

Looking at their lineup, it is less than stellar.

Maron

I like the fact it gave us an "end" to the relationships, unlike REAL Tenchi Muyo; the end might have been "so... he gets all of them!" but hey, we needed a Harem series that actually took this as a possibility, rather than the obvious "Just get with the obvious forerunner Tsundere chick!" feeling that Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, or Negima! would leave us with.

Actually, just wanted to note that while Negima!'s final chapters revealed
Negi was interested in someone and it was not revealed who it was, we did learn that it was not Asuna, which was made clear from her actions and dialogue after he told her who it was

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually, just wanted to note that while Negima!'s final chapters revealed
Negi was interested in someone and it was not revealed who it was, we did learn that it was not Asuna, which was made clear from her actions and dialogue after he told her who it was

That's good to know at least, ha. I have yet to complete Negima!; I might do this some day (have a good amount of the manga, watching one of the anime), but it's a series I think I might have grown beyond in many ways, since I started collecting it "Wait, how old are these girls again?!?"
(Still, Nodoka Miyazaka > others)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I'll just note that Tenchi Muyo did offer up a solution and indeed that ending was a take off that solution. Tenchi ended marrying both Rokyo and Aeyka, they had established that the Jurian bloodline could take multiple wives. That was the insidious part about making Seinna a prince, so that there would have been an internal justification.

Seda

Toonami really need to get themselves some Jojo.

Or some Hunter x Hunter.

Looking at their lineup, it is less than stellar.

I don't know if I like how the block's now front 3 shows are of the long shounen variety (that part of the schedule is most likely set in stone now) but considering original Toonami was most well known for DBZ that's not really surprising. The overall line-up here will be stable for most of the summer.

The next times a new show could possibly be introduced are (assuming they don't stop a show mid-run):

July 27th - After Symbionic Titan ends its current run. My guess is that they will run it again, because it is so short and it still wouldn't have been running for a full year yet at that point.

*August 24th - After Eureka Seven's run. I'd like to think something new has to be introduced here; it's definitely the most likely spot.

October 12th - After Thundercats ends its current run. That will have given it a year on the schedule. I really hope they don't run it a third time.

October 26th - Both Bebop's current run and IGPX will be over on this day. I'm just going to assume IGPX reruns because it's free for them, similar to Thundercats on the block. Bebop probably isn't going anywhere either, I'd like for them to bring back GitS as I still haven't seen all of it.

That said, I think the block has definitely come a long way from where it started in the year it had.

Death Note should make a return. Maybe some Code Geass? Gurren Lagann is a good series as well.

What I really want to see is Naoki Urasawas Monster but that's really unlikely.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yea, I'll just note that Tenchi Muyo did offer up a solution and indeed that ending was a take off that solution. Tenchi ended marrying both Rokyo and Aeyka, they had established that the Jurian bloodline could take multiple wives. That was the insidious part about making Seinna a prince, so that there would have been an internal justification.

Would that be the newer OVA's ending? (The one I paid Little attention to, at this point, ha). As far as Arranged marriages go, GXP's was a plesant twist in the fact the girls weren't all complaining about it, like most stories. It wouldn't have made SENSE for them to, but it's pretty funny to actually see this end for once, compared to contemporary "fight the arrangement! I WANT MY FREEDOM!" stuff that stories normally display.

Dark Than Black and the Fate series.

I've thought about watching Darker Than Black on Netflix. The first episode intrigued, but haven't gone further... I always wanted to get into Fate and Tsukihime. Fate does sound good, from what I know of it.

Death Note should make a return. Maybe some Code Geass? Gurren Lagann is a good series as well.

What I really want to see is Naoki Urasawas Monster but that's really unlikely.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster.
Maybe Steins;Gate since it's Funi

I really enjoyed Monster when it was on Sci-Fi, but I remember many getting bored with it.
The Magnificient Steiner!
I agree that it's the kind of show I'd like to see alongside Bebop; a nice, mature bend, a nice feel of psychological thriller / horror, with a villan that actually feels detestable and evil, and well-developed.

If they got Steins;Gate, I'd hope they'd do a game review of the Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds XBLA game, since Kurisu guest stars as the DLC character, haha. Really considering those BluRays (and Legend of Legendary Heroes...)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
For a curve-ball I would say Madoka Magica and the Mai-Hime franchise, Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura were members of Toonami after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom