• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunpoint [STEAM] A Rube Goldberg stealth machine

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This is one hilarious game.

Gessler and his racy language
Trap door
iAFtWs0jjwFhe.gif

Not only can enemies get smacked by open doors, so can you!
ijfDQT6tPlwT1.gif

ibikcKXvf0E1tP.jpg

I love that there are achievement for silly things like this.

Heh, I didn't even know there were steam achievements. I've blown through a dozen stages without knowing and had to restart steam to get em to show up.

Just finished (my first runthrough of) the game. I was surprised at how good the story was, and it seems to warrant a few different runthroughs as well (and not just to mess around with different strategies on each of the levels). Messing around with different strategies on each of the levels should be fun too.

Also,

How long does one playthrough take?

Thraktor

How long does one playthrough take?

Took me about two hours according to Steam, but I pretty much charged through it like a madman (and I'd completed the demo missions a couple of times before, so I got through them quickly and skipped all the associated dialogue). It'd take longer if you want to ghost the levels, or just generally spend more time messing around (which I'll do in my next few runthoughs). Tom says about 3 hours as an average, which seems about right to me.

It's also well worth doing multiple runthroughs, both for the branching plot and to just take different approaches to each level. There's an awful lot of scope for people to get through the missions in very different ways. I almost wish there was a built-in YouTube exporter for videos of missions, just to see how differently people approach the game.

Took me about two hours according to Steam, but I pretty much charged through it like a madman (and I'd completed the demo missions a couple of times before, so I got through them quickly and skipped all the associated dialogue). It'd take longer if you want to ghost the levels, or just generally spend more time messing around (which I'll do in my next few runthoughs). Tom says about 3 hours as an average, which seems about right to me.

It's also well worth doing multiple runthroughs, both for the branching plot and to just take different approaches to each level. There's an awful lot of scope for people to get through the missions in very different ways. I almost wish there was a built-in YouTube exporter for videos of missions, just to see how differently people approach the game.

I'm more curious as I've already preordered (I actually like shorter games- just don't like it when they're $60). I didn't expect there to be a branching plot so that'll be interesting...

itxaka

Defeatist
So fucking good.

I just stare into the screen looking at the guards walking around until I discover my entry plan. So awesome.

Some achievements are broken though, I got several of them for doing....nothing. Can't complain :D

Will play more tomorrow, gotta sleep, but for me it's the indie game of the year so far. I hope the guy sells a lot.

DeBurgo

So, the first Gessler mission asks you to kill both the enforcer guards. Is that even possible to do without a gun?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, the first Gessler mission asks you to kill both the enforcer guards. Is that even possible to do without a gun?

You can push kill every guard.

Beat it already, a really quick, but really fun three hours of time. Haven't messed around in the level editor yet, but damn if that wasn't really fun. The humor made me laugh several times and overall the mechanics made the game intriguing and honestly, I want more. Hopefully people start creating awesome levels in the level editor to extend the length of the game.

I was just about to buy this from the site so they get a bigger cut but they're encouraging people to buy through Steam.

Now I'm conflicted!

Awesome game. Just finished my first play though and started on my second. Even some of the achievements had me laughing. I could play about 10x more levels of this game, such fun mechanics. Lets hope the level editor delivers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it, took about 2.5 hours. Wish it were longer, but there are multiple story branches and trying to get perfect gentlemen ratings on everything for some more time I guess.

You can see the secret blog it generated for me after finishing here.

EDIT: Also the "Privacy is dead" achievement is bugged. I got all 23, but it didn't register.

iFrhfBEuLaWhq.jpg

Just beat it, took about 2.5 hours. Wish it were longer, but there are multiple story branches and trying to get perfect gentlemen ratings on everything for some more time I guess.

You can see the secret blog it generated for me after finishing here.

EDIT: Also the "Privacy is dead" achievement is bugged. I got all 23, but it didn't register.

iFrhfBEuLaWhq.jpg

The secret blog after you beat the game is pretty neat.

*edit* sorry for double post.

iFrhfBEuLaWhq.jpg

Same thing happened to me. I think I actually missed one and it still said 23/23. I just started a second play through and after a few missions I got the achievement when hacking a laptop.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A link to my first custom level.

Nothing particularly challenging or interesting, but the level editor definitely has the scope for some fairly sophisticated stuff.

Decent level, but lacked anything interesting. Also for some reason if you pick up 1 laptop, both laptops close.

Fixed some issues with my first level and made it more difficult.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsx2hzarznvzjqu/MorporkFirstV2.lvl

If you play it let me know what you think! :)

This one was interesting. Is there any way to get in that lowest room without alerting the guard? You can zap him before going down, but a "no violence" run through doesnt seem possible at least. It still was fun to play though!

naib

Finally! I've been really lookin' forward to this.

Edit:
Was going to buy this sight unseen but tried the demo just 'cause it's there.
Bought the game after the 1st few levels.

Will check out some custom levels once I get through the campaign.

louiedog

I just played the first two missions and already the music and writing has me. They're both excellent. It's also quite fun so far, but it looks like I've barely touched anything yet so I can't say too much about the way it plays.

Morpork

This one was interesting. Is there any way to get in that lowest room without alerting the guard? You can zap him before going down, but a "no violence" run through doesnt seem possible at least. It still was fun to play though!

Thanks for the feedback! There actually is a way to get a "no violence" run. I set it up so it's counter-intuitive and kinda a puzzle in that regard!

Answer:
Don't disable the camera/alarm.

commissar

Had the time this morning to play a few levels past the demo end.

Keen to see if the level editor allows for pre-mission text or preset actions like the intro :]

Toma

About the level sharing, I think its best if I link ONE post by every member in the OP that the members themselves update with their other levels. You are free to bump the thread to tell others that you made a new level and can link it, but please also update your first main post that should contain ALL of your levels if you have more than one.

Toma

Alright, started my Gentleman playthrough. First 7 levels Gentleman'd.

NZNova

Please consider buying it from the developer website via the humble store and use the steam key provided rather than through steam directly. This has two benefits, firstly humble only take 5% commission rather then steams 30% and secondly you get a drm free copy of the game so if Cthulhu ever rises up and consumes the Valve offices (which we all know will happen eventually) then you still have access to a copy of the game.

This game looks great and all, but when reading the above please take the following (from the developer's website) into account:

A surprising request
Because people are wonderful, we've had far more sales from this site than on Steam, because I mentioned we get a bigger cut that way. This is fantastic and was definitely the right thing to do for pre-orders.
The downside is, we look a bit limp on Steam. Our highest chart position was #38, just behind "Crusader Kings II: Norse Portraits DLC". This means people who don't already know about Gunpoint are unlikely to see it there, and it might hurt our chances of Valve promoting it - apparently they go largely on what's already selling well.
So today, the best way you can support Gunpoint is to buy it on Steam. If we can do well there, it could be a huge help.

Might want to update the OP, if this is being brought up repeatedly. I'm off to buy it on Steam directly :D

Nabs

Yeah. I bought it on Steam to help keep it at #1...

Ok, kinda. I had some card money to spend...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Tempted to get the $30 pack for the prototype stuff. How many scrapped levels are we talking here? How much content?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Tempted to get the $30 pack for the prototype stuff. How many scrapped levels are we talking here? How much content?

8 Prototypes of various lengths, some as long as one room with no objective to a few sprawling ones. Covers from about 0 months in to 35 months in to development. Comes with the full soundtrack in MP3, 40 tracks. Tons of commentary tracks and a 42 minute long making of video.

Morpork

Done with the Gentleman badge.

The last level I think it's impossible to get Gentleman. I dodged the agent guy and then also dodged the bullets of Gessler, but it wouldn't let me complete it without punching him once.
Also a couple of levels might be impossible to get the other rewards based on what I've seen so far.

rrs

Checking out the demo

Edit: Quite fun, and the pitch to buy the game is just as witty as the rest of it.

Ridley327

Just beat it; here's my epilogue (spoiler bars just in case):

12 dead. 27 injured. 20 jobs. $13,000. The week echoed in my mind like a gunshot in an empty street..

They don't let me name names on this blog, but the person behind the hit I was investigating is dead now.

He played a dangerous game: insulting my hat.

The trigger man's going down. That would have felt good if I hadn't just taken a seven story body slam.

I don't know.

I guess I picked the least shitty of two incredibly shitty sides.

Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe all that matters is that I now have the ability to kick down doors.

Either way, I need a drink.

Terrific game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ah nice, kicking a door into someone doesn't count as violence, you keep your gentleman rating. Handy.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Kicking open a door makes me want to go all Hotline Miami on these guards.

It's going to be reaaaaaaaally difficult for me to get Gentleman ratings.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Holy shiiiiiit, I remember hearing about this a long ass time ago. It sounded really neat.

Gonna give it a shot.

Old school txt file sharing. We'll make a section in the OP for GAF levels if it works out.

What the hell is this black magic? I want to know how you generate a level from a list of numbers...

Permanently A

Just beat the game. 7 people killed.

I didn't really think it was a "stealth" game though. It was more of a puzzle game with stealth elements. The crux of it is definitely the wiring puzzles, not the stealth.

Overall it is a fun game that doesn't outstay its welcome. Try it!

Top Bottom