• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunpoint [STEAM] A Rube Goldberg stealth machine

Shahadan

No Noise Detector device in the level editor? Oo
Or am I blind?

Edit : Also I can't prevent the player from kicking doors? Or put un-kickable doors unless it's a vault. Sucks

Just beat the game. 7 people killed.

I didn't really think it was a "stealth" game though. It was more of a puzzle game with stealth elements. The crux of it is definitely the wiring puzzles, not the stealth.

Overall it is a fun game that doesn't outstay its welcome. Try it!

Stealth games can be just reduced to being called puzzle games since you're mostly noticing the patterns of guards, turning off lights, and waiting to execute the perfect plan. You're not meant to be detected, and you can die in a few shots. You can either kill or knock out enemies, or just complete the whole level without touching anybody. Stealth isn't really a genre, more a playstyle, and some games accommodate to that specifically more than others.

Shahadan

Level editor needs some tweaks and additions but it's a nice tool!

I need the noise Detector, non kickable doors, and the possibility to have at least two secondary objectives.

Morpork

Broke the level by kicking the doors :(
I smashed the second floor window, kicked the door, took the elevator, waited for the gard to patrol, hacked, and took the elevator again. I don't think I was supposed to do this.

You're right, I made this level when before I acquired the doorbuster.
Thanks for giving the level a try anyway. :)

No Noise Detector device in the level editor? Oo
Or am I blind?

Edit : Also I can't prevent the player from kicking doors? Or put un-kickable doors unless it's a vault. Sucks

It is a real shame you can't set what skills the player will have. You can add, but not take away. It sort of renders the level editor useless because of the doorbuster.

The Noise Detector is indeed missing, as well as many decor/backdrop items.
Hopefully he'll patch that stuff in?

commissar

Finished it this evening, the game was ace :]

Will have a look at the level editor soon. Though I want to check out the prototypes first.

Shahadan

It is a real shame you can't set what skills the player will have. You can add, but not take away. It sort of renders the level editor useless because of the doorbuster.

The Noise Detector is indeed missing, as well as many decor/backdrop items.
Hopefully he'll patch that stuff in?

Yeah, creating my level I spent more time trying to think of a way to prevent the player from kicking door than anything.
Maybe he coded the editor before he finished the main game, I don't know. Hoping for a patch.
The guards behavior is bugged too. Sometimes they react differently, so it's kinda annoying to design a puzzle around them :(

RetroMG

I don't think I've ever gone from "What is this game?" to "This is the best game ever!" faster than with Gunpoint. Bought it on a whim last night after seeing an article about it on Kotaku, and now I want to go buy copies for everyone I know.

EDIT: Wait, there's a level editor?

THERE'S A LEVEL EDITOR.

GOTY 2013.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think I've ever gone from "What is this game?" to "This is the best game ever!" faster than with Gunpoint. Bought it on a whim last night after seeing an article about it on Kotaku, and now I want to go buy copies for everyone I know.

EDIT: Wait, there's a level editor?

THERE'S A LEVEL EDITOR.

GOTY 2013.

There is a level editor? :-o

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Here's my map : The Pit
I would greatly appreciate feedback!
Don't kick the doors plox. You'll probably get stuck anyway.

Repost for good measure:

I think its best if I link ONE post by every member in the OP that the members themselves update with their other levels. You are free to bump the thread to tell others that you made a new level and can link it, but please also update your first main post that should contain ALL of your levels if you have more than one.

I added the post I quoted to the OP, make sure to adjust THAT post with the correct links and any updates to your map.

Bahaha
icwAogqQ1ZrmV.gif

I've been taking it real slow, replaying every mission again to get Gentleman + Ghost + Ninja, now on the final mission. 7 hours. But gatecrashing is too much fun!

Toma

Edit : Don't look before trying, spoilers :((

That was actually really fun, took me a while to figure out how to go about the level, but I really liked that you can get stuck if you dont plan properly. It actually felt like wanting to keep intruders out (or forever trapped).
I thought it might interest you how I went about it and whether thats how you actually planned the level, so here is a little write up and my pictures:

Normal picture
Wiring

Spoiler for that level (position numbers refer to the pictures):
1. I entered the right building from the top at 1 and trapped the guard in the left room. I wired the guards door switch to the trap door at 2. Then I wired the light switch to the door and open/closed the door fast enough for the guard to see me, but not enough to shoot me. He then opened the door while I was sprinting to the trap door at 2.
2. At 2, I wired the switch to the trapdoor at 1, and the motion sensor at 1 to the door at 2. I let the guard at 1 fall down, which cause the guard at 2 to run up to 1, triggering the motion sensor so I could go through the door.
3. I activated the blue stuff and rewired the motion sensor at 1 to open the backdoor at 3 (Which is hard to enter because its smaller than a normal door. Neat touch door, takes some getting used to). I entered through 3, wired the switch to the striped door right of my goal, turned off the camera, opened the goal door with the switch and got close enough for the guard to see me. (So both would start to walk up and down) After that, I left through the backdoor at 3.
4. I rewired the switch at 4 to the left door in the lowest left room, entered the small room when the 2 guards were far away, got my data and hid on the ceiling. Then I waited for the right moment to jump to the right room on the ceiling and made my way out of the backdoor at 3.
5. Profit!

Morpork

Edit : Don't look before trying, spoilers :((

I'm getting stuck in the middle of the building between two trap doors and a vault door. It's a very difficult level. I can't seem to beat it! Also, the circuits are a bit odd? You have say an orange going to a blue or red going to a plain.

The design of the building is fantastic though.

Toma

I'm getting stuck in the middle of the building between two trap doors and a vault door. It's a very difficult level. I can't seem to beat it! Also, the circuits are a bit odd? You have say an orange going to a blue or red going to a plain.

Above your post, I posted how I solved that level.

Shahadan

That was actually really fun, took me a while to figure out how to go about the level, but I really liked that you can get stuck if you dont plan properly. It actually felt like wanting to keep intruders out (or forever trapped).
I thought it might interest you how I went about it and whether thats how you actually planned the level, so here is a little write up and my pictures:

Normal picture
Wiring

Spoiler for that level (position numbers refer to the pictures):
1. I entered the right building from the top at 1 and trapped the guard in the left room. I wired the guards door switch to the trap door at 2. Then I wired the light switch to the door and open/closed the door fast enough for the guard to see me, but not enough to shoot me. He then opened the door while I was sprinting to the trap door at 2.
2. At 2, I wired the switch to the trapdoor at 1, and the motion sensor at 1 to the door at 2. I let the guard at 1 fall down, which cause the guard at 2 to run up to 1, triggering the motion sensor so I could go through the door.
3. I activated the blue stuff and rewired the motion sensor at 1 to open the backdoor at 3 (Which is hard to enter because its smaller than a normal door. Neat touch door, takes some getting used to). I entered through 3, wired the switch to the striped door right of my goal, turned off the camera, opened the goal door with the switch and got close enough for the guard to see me. (So both would start to walk up and down) After that, I left through the backdoor at 3.
4. I rewired the switch at 4 to the left door in the lowest left room, entered the small room when the 2 guards were far away, got my data and hid on the ceiling. Then I waited for the right moment to jump to the right room on the ceiling and made my way out of the backdoor at 3.
5. Profit!

Haha thank you for trying it and nice strategy ! I was expecting something else I guess I should rework it.
Actually for the first trap door you're supposed to
use a switch to trigger the alarm in the top left rooms, so the guard comes upstairs, then go down to activate the green wirebox. Then link the green cam with the green alarm and then go back to the first red switch. then link the red alarm with the first trap door so wehn the guard turns off his alarm, the trap door opens.

You didn't get the laptop? I had a hard time trying to do what I wanted with it
ultimatley backtracking without getting killed by the remaining guards once the power guard had been electrocuted to assault the Pro and get the laptop
but I'm not satisfied with it.

I must admit I didn't think you could do some things you did :lol:

Thanks ! About that trap door, you're supposed to
link the motion sensor with the vault door
The yallow going blue was not an error, it works, but I didn't think someone could erase the link and get in hell pretty fast. I corrected it.

Toma

Haha thank you for trying it and nice strategy ! I was expecting something else I guess I should rework it.
Actually for the first trap door you're supposed to
use a switch to trigger the alarm in the top left rooms, so the guard comes upstairs, then go down to activate the green wirebox. Then link the green cam with the green alarm and then go back to the first red switch. then link the red alarm with the first trap door so wehn the guard turns off his alarm, the trap door opens.

You didn't get the laptop? I had a hard time trying to do what I wanted with it
ultimatley backtracking without getting killed by the remaining guards once the power guard had been electrocuted to assault the Pro and get the laptop
but I'm not satisfied with it.

I must admit I didn't think you could do some things you did :lol:

Thanks ! About that trap door, you're supposed to
link the motion sensor with the vault door

More choices are always good, I wouldnt be hellbent on making "my" solution impossible. It wasnt "easy" or breaking the level either :)
And I could have gotten the laptop pretty easily, I just didnt look for it and didnt notice it. I took out the left guard in the laptop room, and then it was just a matter of jumping over the laptop guard in the right moment. I'd pretty much say that the level was one of the best (including story level) that I played so far, so good work! Dont make it worse ;p

But yeah, pretty awesome how differently you can play these levels.

Shahadan

More choices are always good, I wouldnt be hellbent on making "my" solution impossible. It wasnt "easy" or breaking the level either :)
And I could have gotten the laptop pretty easily, I just didnt look for it and didnt notice it. I took out the left guard in the laptop room, and then it was just a matter of jumping over the laptop guard in the right moment. I'd pretty much say that the level was one of the best (including story level) that I played so far, so good work! Dont make it worse ;p

But yeah, pretty awesome how differently you can play these levels.

Thank you Toma ! Makes me feel good inside after all that work :p

I just modified it so you can't open the trapdoor with a door switch, as it was my primar concern all morning. The rest I'm fine with it. As you said, options are good and I agree with that. I'm more interested about how people solve it anyway.

Toma

Thank you Toma ! Makes me feel good inside after all that work :p

I just modified it so you can't open the trapdoor with a door switch, as it was my primar concern all morning. The rest I'm fine with it. As you said, options are good and I agree with that. I'm more interested about how people solve it anyway.

Well the player cant use the door switches anyway, so getting the guards in the position to use it for you AND make the jump in the correct timing was quite tricky too. I guess my solution now doesnt work anymore, right?

Shahadan

Well the player cant use the door switches anyway, so getting the guards in the position to use it for you AND make the jump in the correct timing was quite tricky too. I guess my solution now doesnt work anymore, right?

Yeah sorry :p
That was pretty much the only thing I wanted the player to do, otherwise those two other rooms are useless. That said that was pretty clever and daring of yours. I'll use it in a next map !

Toma

Yeah sorry :p
That was pretty much the only thing I wanted the player to do, otherwise those two other rooms are useless. That said that was pretty clever and daring of yours. I'll use it in a next map !

Ha, nice ;)

ScOULaris

I really hope that patches improve the level editor and level sharing down the line. It is a little half-baked in its current form, and Steam Workshop support would inject a lot of longevity into this game's lifecycle.

Shahadan

I really hope that patches improve the level editor and level sharing down the line. It is a little half-baked in its current form, and Steam Workshop support would inject a lot of longevity into this game's lifecycle.

Yeah no workshop is weird, that said we'll avoid a portal 2 flood situation for the time, which is not all that bad.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I didn't see him say anything about making the editor more robust but in his AMA Tom Francis did say that he was looking into Workshop. He's just not an amazing programmer so if it turns out to be more complicated than he expected he'll have to hire another dude to get the workshop stuff smushed in.

Toma

I didn't see him say anything about making the editor more robust but in his AMA Tom Francis did say that he was looking into Workshop. He's just not an amazing programmer so if it turns out to be more complicated than he expected he'll have to hire another dude to get the workshop stuff smushed in.

I dont even care about the workshop necessarily. Fan communities can fill in that role, but the editor needs to be fixed and more features.

Shahadan

Oh by the way, buying this game to the first person posting a pic of a dude not looking ridiculous wearing a fedora. Kthxbye

Toma

Oh by the way, buying this game to the first person posting a pic of a dude not looking ridiculous wearing a fedora. Kthxbye

1816173-notch_minecraft_wurm_mojang_markus_persson.jpg

Already own it, keep it :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I dont even care about the workshop necessarily. Fan communities can fill in that role, but the editor needs to be fixed and more features.

Yeah I was a little sad that there was no option for us to have pre-mission dialog, which hopefully gets added in the future.

Shahadan

My first idea for a puzzle was with the noise detector. This shit needs to get added.
The only way I found to getting around this was using the alarms and guards. Or a remote elevator to make them turn around. But that's not ideal

I wonder what people will invent with the restrictions.

Shahadan

I was waiting for Matt Bomer :lol:

Okay fine Atruvirus, Out_of_ammo, BlueMagic, add me on steam you all get it.
Same username.

Toma

I was waiting for Matt Bomer :lol:

Okay fine Atruvirus, Out_of_ammo, BlueMagic, add me on steam you all get it.
Same username.

Ooh, nice of you :) Tell the players that get it to report back here to share their opinions ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Final room question:

How do you access the circuit box on the roof?

Top Bottom