• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
FOX SPECIAL MOVES UPDATE

Fox: Special Moves
Characters

<Down Special Move: Reflector>

Did you notice that thing dangling from Fox’s waist?
What is that?

Yup, that’s his Reflector.

screenshot

This is it.

screenshot

Take it out to initiate the Reflector!

It perfectly reflects projectile weapons fired at him. It’s a fine piece of weaponry, and one that most fighters envy.

<Standard Special Move: Blaster>

screenshot

The design of Fox’s blaster has also changed.

Enemies won’t flinch at the impact of its shots, but it does have rapid-fire capabilities. It’s the perfect weapon for stealing KOs.

fox_070621b-l.jpg

That's pretty badass.

Tristam

ant1532 said:
Marth is 10x worse. I hate Marth. THere is a reason why he is the highest tier.

Because he is a fair character?

No.

Because he is an unbalanced cheap character?

Yes.

lawl, I'm a Marth player. One of Marth's best moves is something you hardly ever see anyone use, and that's his stab as he crouches. It confuses the crap out of anybody when you wave dash into them but instead of short hopping to do his little windmill strike, you crouch and stab at their feet. It's also fantastic for edge guarding against Fox and Falco.

scottnak

Cruceh said:
Kinda boring now that it's always updated at 3am nowadays. Japan time, come back!!
Now complaining its coming too regularly now? Do we really need the unpredictability of Japan Time? Haha.

Mar

ant1532 said:
What is that?

Either my mind is corrupted from too many tranny surprise jpgs. Or this really is the wrong way to translate something.

PkunkFury

they should really do two updates when they are just showing old character moves. It's obnoxious that we'll have to go through this 8 more times for Link, Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby

In fox's case, his up B and forward B already appeared in his character profile screens, so that's another update I'm not looking forward to
I crave more music!!

tribal24 said:
i like foxs old look better then his new

Sometimes I don't understand you people.

The old Starfox model looks mishaped, and doesn't represent any previous rendition of fox. It's just awkward and dry.

The new Fox has much more defined look, with 5 times the details.

"Fox: Special Moves

<Down Special Move: Reflector>

What is that?

Yup, that’s his Reflector.

fox_070621a-l.jpg

This is it.

fox_070621b-l.jpg

Take it out to initiate the Reflector!

It perfectly reflects projectile weapons fired at him. It’s a fine piece of weaponry, and one that most fighters envy.

<Standard Special Move: Blaster>

fox_070621c-l.jpg

The design of Fox’s blaster has also changed.

Enemies won’t flinch at the impact of its shots, but it does have rapid-fire capabilities. It’s the perfect weapon for stealing KOs."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox looks WAY more badass now than in Melee.

The sharper, more upright ears, along with other sharper features gives him the look of a a mischievous and pissed-off fox. His model is Melee was like "duuuur i'm gonna attack you now!". He always had such a bored and inanimate face.

His new model fits the idea of beating the **** out of others much better.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6697629&postcount=3240

I'm going to assume that hexagonal metal thing on the left side of his waist is his shield generator. Did he have that in Melee? He'll probably touch it or grab it for the reflector animation.

Called it. :) It was pretty obvious but at least I know I can see something that is obvious.

It looks like they will be updating for the long haul. Two moves from a veteran character with descriptions that are exactly the same as the previous game and we even know that his other two moves will be the same!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Holy Order Sol said:
Actually, it was "over 8000" in the original release, but I guess Pioneer's translators don't know their nines from their eights :lol

NeonZ

turkification said:
Why isn't that poke ball perfectly round?

Items have lower polygon number than characters, it's been that way since the first SSB. Besides, the camera won't be that close during gameplay.

justchris

Hcoregamer00 said:
They could add female characters from other franchises
Advance Wars - Rachel, Sasha, Sami, Lash
Fire Emblem - (well, I don't play it, but insert favorite female from fire emblem)
Starfox - Krystal

Yes, Krystal is almost a lock to replace Falco at this point. Not because people want her, but because Nintendo seems to be obsessed with making her a big deal in Star Fox all of a sudden. Personally, I hope they have both Krystal & Falco, each with their own movesets, and not just clones of Fox. If Falco doesn't get his own moveset, then he's probably out.

The chances of an Advance Wars character showing up in Smash Bros. wish they could be slim. Maybe if the Smash Bros. DS game others were talking about ever becomes a reality, they'd be perfect for it.

Shinobix said:
Linkzg said:
if Capcom isnt gonna be stingy with their characters, they might aswell pop their Smash Brothers cherry with Megaman in Brawl, then bring Pheonix Wright for the DS/next nintendo handheld Smash Brothers game.

that said, if they do smash brothers on DS, they should do it as Paper Smash Brothers and have the style be a mix of Paper Mario and the boxart for N64 Smash.

Jump! Ultimate Stars comes to my mind. They should aim for that style if done.

I've been hoping for a portable Smash Bros. since the day the DS released. It's a killer app in the making, and I don't understand it's lack of existence so far. But it should not, under any circumstances play like JUS. I like JUS, it's actually a pretty great game, the gameplay is really well thought out, but it's no Smash Bros. Smash Bros. DS should play as much like Smash Bros. as is possible with a D-pad.

Also, I agree Megaman should appear in SSBB, but Phoenix Wright? He's a lawyer guys. A lawyer. Not exactly an action packed job description there. I just don't see him making it in. Now, the Elite Beat Agents (or the Ouendan for Japan? How would they do that?) I could definitely see being an awesome addition.

ant1532 said:
or in justchris' case Dixie...

Anyways, there is a good amount of girls in Smash given the whole Nintendo guy to girl ratio. Zelda/Shiek, Peach(Daisy look a like costume), Jigglypuff, Samus (and Zero Suit Samus coming in Brawl.

There is so many cooler characters imo then to put some Warioware people in.

The reason I say Smash needs more female characters is because Smash Bros is pretty much the single most casual friendly fighting game ever. I'm not saying they should choose female characters over a much better male character from the same series, but every good chance they have to add a female character they should take, to broaden the target demographic as much as possible. I'd say about 1/3 of the cast should be female optimally, maybe a little more.

And really, if they're adding a second Wario character, I would beg and plead for them to add someone from Wario Ware over Waluigi. God I hate Waluigi. What a crappy concept.

Marth already exists to represent Fire Emblem, and if they're taking out Roy, it'd be silly to add Ike who is way too much like Marth. A perfect chance to add a female character without skipping over someone better.

The only reason I ever suggested Krystal was because I think she'd be a really great fighter if they gave her the staff from SF Adventure. SSBM didn't have a staff fighter at all, but now that they've added Pitt, and given him a 3-stage weapon, that's a bit less imperative. I personally prefer Falco as a character, but unless he has his own moveset, he's useless to me in this game.

GaimeGuy said:
Actually, it was "over 8000" in the original release, but I guess Pioneer's translators don't know their nines from their eights :lol

Yeah, even the French translation (which is really ****ed up) got that right, I was like wtf. :lol

Dr.Hadji

Falco is confirmed to be out of Brawl.

If you look closely Fox has TWO blasters. One he's firing and one in his holster.

Sorry Falco. RIP.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm thinking it's a really safe bet that two of the yet-to-be revealed characters are going to be Diddy Kong and King Dedede.

Both appeared very high up on each of Sakurai's character voting polls. (The one for SSBM and now SSBB).

We already know that characters on these polls have a high chance of making it into the games. Characters high up on the SSBM poll made it into that game (Bowser, Mewtwo, Peach, Marth), and characters from the SSBB poll have already started to be revealed (MetaKnight and Wario).

Also Dedede is one of Sakurai's characters. I'm actually suprised he didn't make it into Melee. Although he was a trophy! (As was Wario, MetaKnight, and Pit!)

gal_ki-t06.jpg

Ridley was also on these lists, but he seems less likely to me because of his size... even if they scaled him down, it seems like his wingspan would make him too large of a character. I hope I'm wrong though, and seeing his music posted gives me hope! :)

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
I'm thinking it's a really safe bet that two of the yet-to-be revealed characters are going to be Diddy Kong and King Dedede.

Both appeared very high up on each of Sakurai's character voting polls. (The one for SSBM and now SSBB).

We already know that characters on these polls have a high chance of making it into the games. Characters high up on the SSBM poll made it into that game (Bowser, Mewtwo, Peach, Marth), and characters from the SSBB poll have already started to be revealed (MetaKnight and Wario).

Also Dedede is one of Sakurai's characters. I'm actually suprised he didn't make it into Melee. Although he was a trophy! (As was Wario, MetaKnight, and Pit!)
I hope they start adding a bunch of characters who were trophies in SSBM, just so I can have Marin. It'll never happen, though, so more importantly, where were these polls you're referencing? I know there was that lengthy list of character suggestions that Sakurai found interesting enough to post, but I don't remember seeing any percentages to show how frequently each one was mentioned...

MrCheez said:

Is there a list somewhere of the characters who were on both of these polls? It'd be interesting to see...

MrCheez

Cosmonaut X said:
Is there a list somewhere of the characters who were on both of these polls? It'd be interesting to see...

I'm pretty sure I used to have a link that had the data for both polls, but I don't know what happened to it. I'm at work now so I don't have time to do much of a search, but here is a thread about the polls on smashboards.com that probably has most of the info: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872

MrCheez

bigmakstudios said:
They were in the first trailer from E3 2006 though.

Yeah looking at that smashboards link I posted above I think I just had my polls confused.

Wario and MetaKnight both appeared high on the melee poll.

Does anyone have any links with more info on these? Or does anyone simply have a better memory than mine ? :)

ant1532

Banned
Here are the characters who were suggested multiple times to Sakurai on last years Smash Bros Dojo blog site.

he characters who were recommended multiple times are:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)