• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
this makes me kinda wonder if Smash can be played with the arcade stick that is comming out.

and I also wonder if the Dpad can be used on the classic controller.

Imagine Brawl with an arcade-stick... That would be bliss. :) The GameCube -pads became annoying after a while, due to the thumb-stick losing the 'sharpness' ( so to speak ). If I am to use the Cube -pads, I will have to buy a few new ones - the old ones have been used to near extinction.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lé Blade Runner said:
Hmm.. The d-pad might offer supreme precision, too. I am getting interested in the Wiimote -option as well now. :)

In four directions, maybe. But you'll only have 8 directions with Fire Fox instead of 16 and the same goes for Forare's Wind (assuming it's still in). Samus's bombs will be much harder to manipulate and I can't imagine playing Jigglypuff with a Wiimote.

Halycon said:
In four directions, maybe. But you'll only have 8 directions with Fire Fox instead of 16 and the same goes for Forare's Wind (assuming it's still in). Samus's bombs will be much harder to manipulate and I can't imagine playing Jigglypuff with a Wiimote.

the worst would be trying to play as Ness with a Dpad, I dont think I could ever use the pk thunder properly with it.

Xrenity said:
I guess just A to pick the Final Smash up?

Well I'm assuming (and this is just my speculation) it looks like all the characters have a "Final Smash Stand by" form where you can choose to keep playing normally and unleash it when you want but your character looks different to alert everyone else that they can Final Smash at any moment (Mario's glowing eyes and firey body, Link's green "Triforce of Courage" aura).

And it says under Mario's picture of him glowing "He got a Smash Ball! Mario is standing by!" And he's just standing there in a stance powered-up

So I'm assuming you can still fight normally while 'charged up' and then unleash when you see an opportunity.

Maybe I'm the only one that sees it that way.

Hum - it might very well be so, Angelo.

The d-pad is worthy of a try, at least. But please, Nintendo, make a Brawl-specific Arcade-stick! I'd buy it in a heart-beat, no matter what the cost.

Ramenman

thetrin said:
Considering the second image, I might actually be interested in playing with the 4th control scheme. I always kinda thought the "tilt quickly" thing felt odd. It makes more sense to me to hit 2 and tap for normal attack, and 1+2 and tap for smash.

Exactly. Plus some players have a hard time pulling it out the first times and thus the "pick up and play" aspect of the game is a little reduced.

I was going for an "all GC pad" approach but the Wiimote scheme seems interesting. Can't wait to see more.

And it says under Mario's picture of him glowing "He got a Smash Ball! Mario is standing by!" And he's just standing there in a stance powered-up

I thought it was just some kind of close-up cut-scene to introduce the Final Smash.

But now you say it I remember one thing :
The explosion launches out and expands vertically as it travels, so in order to inflict the most damage possible on enemies, it's best to release this from a slight floating or midair position on either the left or right side of the screen.

Meaning you can actually choose where to "release" it.

I would like it if any button aside from the jump ones could release the Final Smash. That way the "charged" player couldn't do his lesser attacks before he releases it.

You know, just in case he keeps it 'til the end of the match so that nobody dares approach him.

u_u

Good catch, I totally forgot about that 'releasing in midair' quote, I guess that kind've proves the theory.

I think it's neat though, means we might see characters with some unique 'Stand by' forms (PLZ SUPER SONIK!! KTHX)

Akinola

If Smash had arcade stick capabilities, it wouldn't be long before we start seeing QCF and HCB+P/K's.

You guys think they'll change up the B-moveset again? I mean, some people's tournament-level play relies on having Forward+B/Back+B.

Maybe there will be a down, up+B?

Man, I'm so excited!

Woah... you can play this game with the D-pad by playing with the Wiimote horizontally?

Why can't they make this for the DS again? :D One of the biggest BS I've heard is that "zomg SSB can't be played with teh d-pad".

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm personally thinking that Wii-Mote + Nunchuck looks to be the best option as of now.

We're just going to have to assume that they'll map special moves to the "B" button on the Wiimote, with jumping to be handled by the nunchuck Z or C buttons?

Having these buttons on separate hands (and being able to more quickly access B and A since they use separate fingers) is going to make for a more efficient smash player.

Angelo just articulated what I believe to be the set up with Final Smashes; they can be acquired and held until the player chooses to UNLEASH ULTIMATE NINTENDO FURY.

I hope there's a special Melee mode where Final Smashes are like Super Arts in Third Strike: there's a super bar that fills up as you hit/get hit and when the time is right... quarter-circle quarter-circle SMASH! :D

I don't believe it'll happen, but it'd be cool to see it happen.

jrricky

Banned
I just saw the diagram, and was wondering what you guys were talking about when people said double tapping then hitting 2. I was thinking, "Uh-oh, GAF's going crazy again". Then I realized that they updated website.:lol

Anyways, Wiimote only looks good. Makes tilting attacks easier to do. Well, all the control schemes look solid for now.

Oh yeah, I cant wait to see Samus and Link's smash attacks.:D

Firestorm

Dammit. Horrible update =( I'll be using the GCN pad and already know how a smash attack works! *huggles c-stick*

Edit: Actually, it seems ZSS' smash attack involves her gun? That's what she's charging... Link's smash attack is different from last time too... no more crappy f-smash? :O

Somnid

So ZSS != Shiek?

I'm not gonna fight anyone over this (Zeed) but it looks like she's pistol whipping and almost certainly something with the upperbody (opposed to Shiek's double kick). Of course if they are changing movesets then the whole argument is invalid anyway and we have nothing.

Zeed

Banned
Somnid said:
So ZSS != Shiek?

I'm not gonna fight anyone over this (Zeed) but it looks like she's pistol whipping and almost certainly something with the upperbody (opposed to Shiek's double kick). Of course if they are changing movesets then the whole argument is invalid anyway and we have nothing.
Well it seems that some characters are getting new Smash attacks - for instance, Link's smash attack in that same shot is unlike anything I recall him doing in Melee. I will admit though, that this damages the idea of ZSS being a complete moveset clone of Shiek. However I still believe that a lot from Shiek will end up being recycled into ZSS, and I still doubt that the Shiek/Zelda mechanic will remain the same.

But if it does, that'd probably mean we'd get a Twilight Princess-ized Shiek, which would kick ass.

FoneBone

Kobun Heat said:
Aside from the fact that it's now apparently a spoiler to say that Ganon is the boss of a Zelda game, tonight was the night that I became truly impressed with Smash Bros. This looks like one of the biggest things Nintendo's ever done.
OK, this is still begging a response: were you referring to the Giga Bowser thing, or is this a pre-E3 hint of some sort?

Lé Blade Runner said:
Imagine Brawl with an arcade-stick... That would be bliss. :) The GameCube -pads became annoying after a while, due to the thumb-stick losing the 'sharpness' ( so to speak ). If I am to use the Cube -pads, I will have to buy a few new ones - the old ones have been used to near extinction.

wii_hori_stick.jpg

With the various flavors of Street Fighter II still coming to the Wii Virtual Console, it's a wise investment for those looking for a more level playing field with that arcade feel. No word yet on if it will support Super Smash Bros. Brawl as details are extremely thin, but we'll update with more information as it becomes available.

To be honest I never saw the advantages in these things, but for those who like them; cross your fingers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Somnid said:
So ZSS != Shiek?

She has a light saber, but if she has any hand-to-hand attacks it'd be a shame to waste Shiek's perfectly good moveset.

Alkaliine said:
The wiimote+nunchuk options sounds really solid to me so far, plus it'll be the most comfortable since you can have your hands apart. And it'll be a nice change from the melee controls.

Tru dat. That was my favorite thing about playing Zelda, the ultimate lazy man's controller.
But I'm totally digging all the options available. I'll probably switch between first and last.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually wouldn`t mind some more assist trophy updates. It`s an awesome addition to the game.

Jiggy

I predicted something from the Mario universe right before Bowser, because it had been the longest since we'd seen anything from that series. The new series that hasn't gotten a Smash update in the longest time is Kirby. However, if the only two Kirby characters are Kirby and Metaknight (and let's face it, other than King Dedede, that's really about all the options there are), I don't think Sakurai would want to do Metaknight and "finish off" the Kirby updates here and now.

So, my vote is for one of these Kirby-themed things: 1) at least one of the animal helpers from Dreamland 2 and 3 as assist trophies, 2) a level with Wispy Woods since that's a Smash staple by now, or 3) Kirby music that will own everyone in this thread--and many people out of this thread.

KINGMOKU

{Mike} said:
I want an old-school stage

Bowser.jpg

I would also accept this ;
That would be an awesome stage.

Just make the platform bigger, and have the bridge give out radomly, so everyone has to get on the platform, or get roasted, and have bowser come out and kick some ass in random intervals as well.

Grecco

FlightOfHeaven said:
: O

They should have a secret 8-Bit stage! With all the characters in retro bit! :D

Impossible, but it'd be a treat to see.

Well they did have the game and watch level last time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the interesting thing about the wiimote control scheme is that it may eliminate the up standard attack/jump issue of the other control configurations because up + 2 will always do a normal attack and never a smash (unless you press both). I bet up will jump both (with no direction depressed, and grab will be shield + up (only down will do a horizontal dodge).

I don't personally think that pressing A or B in the old school grip is a viable function in an action game.

Bo130

Only a few more minutes now :D I'm still saying Mario Kart stage.

Except Assist Trophies, which is all kinds of megaton-ish, I actually liked last week better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom