• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Jiggy37 said:
3) If (big if) everyone can do meteor smashes this way, then anyone who already has a meteor smash would now have a fairly worthless move. Captain Falcon, Ness, etc. Considering the implications, I hope this means that they have a new move in place of the old down+A, along with the old meteor smash mapped to the jump button.

Only if this move is as easy to pull off as those ones.

I say WOW.

Giving everyone a meteor spike will completely change the way the game is played. Characters like Pichu and Mewtwo will be given new life (if they make the cut) because their recoveries are so good. Characters with predictable recoveries are going to suffer heavily, once they get off the edge it'll be a free-for-all to see who can get to him first.

I believe this move will work like Jigglypuff's rest. You'll need to have very precise timing in order to get this one off, close to inside the character's head.

I really hope Brawl doesn't become a game revolving around footstool jumping.

edit: Now that I think about it, footstool jumping M2 and Pichu don't become good.

Jiggy37 said:
3) If (big if) everyone can do meteor smashes this way, then anyone who already has a meteor smash would now have a fairly worthless move. Captain Falcon, Ness, etc. Considering the implications, I hope this means that they have a new move in place of the old down+A, along with the old meteor smash mapped to the jump button.

Oh c'mon. C.Falcon's stomp isn't even that effective a meteor to begin with, but it's a great combo starter. I can't think of many meteor-smash-moves that aren't just as useful as regular attacks.

ant1532

Banned
BrendenLee said:
I say WOW.

Giving everyone a meteor spike will completely change the way the game is played. Characters like Pichu and Mewtwo will be given new life (if they make the cut) because their recoveries are so good. Characters with predictable recoveries are going to suffer heavily, once they get off the edge it'll be a free-for-all to see who can get to him first.

I believe this move will work like Jigglypuff's rest. You'll need to have very precise timing in order to get this one off, close to inside the character's head.

I really hope Brawl doesn't become a game revolving around footstool jumping.

edit: Now that I think about it, footstool jumping M2 and Pichu don't become good.
Mewtwo already a has a meteor hit anyways.

Somnid

It seems risky, first since you get a decent jump you probably won't be able do it consecutively (as you'll wind up higher in the air) and second of you miss you'll double jump instead and be in a similar if not worse situation than your opponent who will probably made more forward progress toward the ledge and will thus have control by the time you recover. In fact, I think this will be useful only for stages with pits as regular meteors will be safer on the edge.

So yeah... i've predicted music track the last two nights and i've been wrong, well sorry if i'm wrong again, but I just need to hear something new so i'm going with a music update.

:lol

ant1532

Banned
I'm really interested as a Samus player if they change the weight or speed of falling in bomb form since that will heavily change Samus' game. From the videos the physics look exactly the same so I'm not really worried but I wouldn't mind if they change it I guess. That'll just mean new things to be found.

GaimeGuy, who you play as mainly? Very interested in playin you when this hits. Well.. if it's online.

Firestorm

GaimeGuy said:
One of the most satisfying ones, too :D

I remember getting meteor smashed by Mewtwo JUST at the right moment in Poke Floats. It was an opening that had just appeared and pretty narrow, but the timing was perfect. I hadn't played much Poke Floats (as a more casual player I never played it, started to more as I started to use tournament rules) so that spot was completely unexpected. Agh x_x

miyuru

TheKingsCrown said:
It is, in my opinion, the only fighter out there.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm a true advocate of that whole, nobody's opinion is ever wrong, nor right...

And yeah, it's just your opinion, no disrespect!! I just can't help rolling my ****ing eyes!

ant1532

Banned
miyuru said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm a true advocate of that whole, nobody's opinion is ever wrong, nor right...

And yeah, it's just your opinion, no disrespect!! I just can't help rolling my ****ing eyes!
Let's not get into that again... I'm sure I already said that had to be said.

Nintaiyo

Knuckle Joe...

assist04_070727a.jpg

Uncle AJ

I played Smash on 64 almost obsessively, so that whole "X/Y to jump" and "C stick to smash" stuff never flew with me in Melee. :D

Sweet - Knuckle Joe. Kirby Super Star rawks.
av-13.gif

ant1532 said:
The update isn't showing for me...

Always check the other language sites if it's not showing up on the U.S. one. The updates seem to appear randomly sooner and later on the various sites.

Anyway... yeah. Knuckle Joe.

Bed time.

And once again, HAL bias is shown.

Seriously, guys, not everyone knows your characters. I mean, you're making META KNIGHT a focal point of the game for christsakes.

QuickKick89 said:
And once again, HAL bias is shown.

Seriously, guys, not everyone knows your characters. I mean, you're making META KNIGHT a focal point of the game for christsakes.

Uh, HAL isn't making the game. It's a group formed solely for this game to work under Sakurai.

Jiggy

Knuckle Joe, awesome. :eek: One of the few Kirby characters who actually would have been worthwhile playable, too, since he had enough attacks for it. Even as an assist trophy he gets three of the main ones... Kind of surprising, but makes me really happy. And now I hope Bugsy is in too. I want to see that purple beetle hurling stuff around one way or another.

Branduil said:
Only if this move is as easy to pull off as those ones.
I should have added a "to tournament-level players" in there, or something like that. >_> I was basically talking about meteor smashes and footstool jumping in the context of each being pulled off perfectly. (Which I didn't make clear.) You're right, though, that to most players, they'll be very different things.

WastingPenguins said:
Oh c'mon. C.Falcon's stomp isn't even that effective a meteor to begin with, but it's a great combo starter.
That doesn't go against what I'm arguing, which is that meteor smashes lose some of their value to redundancy by serving the same purpose as the footstool jump. (To go with your example, if the footstool jump can also be a combo starter, what's the point of still having the stomp?)
...At least, that was my reasoning at the time. But I'll admit it was a hasty judgment in more than one way. :\ We don't know these things yet:
1) The potential lag time of footstool jumps. If it's smaller than a normal meteor smash, or (as I was assuming) equal to it, then meteor smashes as attacks are one step closer to redundancy.
2) The damage dealt by footstool jumps. If it's something like a Luigi taunt where it does 1 damage, well, obviously meteors still retain all their value.
We'll see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom