• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MrCheez said:
This post is random, but...

God, I want the Elite Beat Agents in the game so badly. How awesome would it be to have a character who fights with DANCE MOVES?!

EliteBeatAgent_01.jpg

The only question is, would you play as all three of them at once? Or perhaps just Agent J, and the other two agents could jump into the screen for the Final Smash?

And then, the other huge problem... if Sakurai wanted to include a character like this, would he just choose the Ouendan characters? (Who aren't as cool, IMO :( )

It's a long shot, but man... EBA would rawkkk :O

They could have the guy with the sunglasses as an alternate costume for Ryuta Ippongi.

And vice versa in the localized version.

A stage with Ouendan/Agents dancing in the background would be enough for me. They could fall down whenever someone is knocked off the stage!

Firestorm

Wii said:
Online SSBB needs voice chat.
How am I supposed to trash talk without it?

More like how will they rub it in your face when you lose m i riiiiteee :D

And the Agents are a shoe-in for Assist Trophies imo.

Haunted

Will the game still have winnable trophies? (not assist trophies, just as collectables) - I can see the EBA there, but not actually in the game (playable or as AT). The ouendan have a better chance, but even theirs is really really low, imo.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I think the agents would work beautifully as an Assist Trophy, but there is just so much potential in a playable character who fights with dance moves. :lol Would be so unique!!

As for EBA being switchable costumes with Ouendan.. wouldn't the moves not match up? Isn't the Ouendan's cheering quite different from EBAs dancing?

I agree that the chances for either of them are low, and even then Ouendan probably has a better chance than EBA (like was said). Damnz!

Haly

Haunted One said:
Will the game still have winnable trophies? (not assist trophies, just as collectables) - I can see the EBA there, but not actually in the game (playable or as AT). The ouendan have a better chance, but even theirs is really really low, imo.
Since the assist trophy is generic, I'm going to assume that your pool of available assist trophies depends on your current trophy collection. Obviously, not every trophy will be capable of assisting but the ones that you have that can increases the variety of the item.

MrCheez said:
I think the agents would work beautifully as an Assist Trophy, but there is just so much potential in a playable character who fights with dance moves.

As for EBA being switchable costumes with Ouendan.. wouldn't the moves not match up? Isn't the Ouendan's cheering quite different from EBAs dancing?

I agree that the chances for either of them are low, and even then Ouendan probably has a better chance than EBA (like was said). Damnz!
You bring up a good point but then we'll just have a Roy/Marth situation won't we? I've never played EBA but as long there's enough variation in their dance moves then they could have two different characters that follow one theme.

MrCheez

Halycon said:
You bring up a good point but then we'll just have a Roy/Marth situation won't we? I've never played EBA but as long there's enough variation in their dance moves then they could have two different characters that follow one theme.

I was actually thinking of Roy/Marth... it's their situation that makes me think a Japan-Only character has a much better chance than a USA-Only character. (Was EBA released in Japan? Pretty sure it wasn't... anyone know?)

Haunted

MrCheez said:
I was actually thinking of Roy/Marth... it's their situation that makes me think a Japan-Only character has a much better chance than a USA-Only character. (Was EBA released in Japan? Pretty sure it wasn't... anyone know?)
It wasn't, just like Ouendan wasn't released here.

Halycon said:
Since the assist trophy is generic, I'm going to assume that your pool of available assist trophies depends on your current trophy collection. Obviously, not every trophy will be capable of assisting but the ones that you have that can increases the variety of the item.
hm, that's a possibility, but I don't think Sakurai will limit the appearance of assist trophies in that way. I think they're going to pop up randomly, like pokemon.

Haly

MrCheez said:

Well, Roy was a marketing scheme to get the NA audiences ready for Fire Emblem(7). Elite Beat Agents, as Nintendo is probably aware of, is fairly popular so putting guy-with-sunglasses (does he have a name?) in SSBB will promote SSBB much more than EBA.

Including Ippongi as an alternate costume is icing on the cake.

MrCheez

Halycon said:
Well, Roy was a marketing scheme to get the NA audiences ready for Fire Emblem(7). Elite Beat Agents, as Nintendo is probably aware of, is fairly popular so putting guy-with-sunglasses (does he have a name?) in SSBB will promote SSBB much more than EBA.

Including Ippongi as an alternate costume is icing on the cake.

Ah, I knew Roy was marketing for the upcoming release of FE7, but I thought it was for both nations, not just NA audiences?

The main character of EBA is "Agent J"

Haly

bigmakstudios said:
I had a wet dream in which Phoenix Wright and the Elite Beat Agents were both playable in Brawl. Batman was too. >_>

Fixed.

Also, your fantasy is missing Dr. Stiles.

MrCheez

bigmakstudios said:
I had a dream in which Phoenix Wright and the Elite Beat Agents were both playable in Brawl. Batman was too. >_>

:lol This would be the best thing to happen EVER

Somnid

The chances of either the Ouendan or EBA appearing is equal. They'd just just change them for the localizations (you can't acknowledge one without the other). As a character it's another stupid idea, as an assist there's possibility. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening, it just doesn't have popularity it should. Even a "trophy" trophy would be good enough for me.

Also Roy's inclusion was a "just because" thing. FE was popular in Japan so it made sense to add characters, Roy was probably a last minute thing to promote the series with another character but of course none were as iconic as Marth so they added him as a near release game riding the hype. I doubt his or Marth's inclusion had anything to do with NA, but I image the popularity of those characters as a result of Melee did help with the desicion to localize the series. It's not like they were going to take out characters, that would be unfair to the players.

KLoNe

Banned
MrCheez said:
This post is random, but...

God, I want the Elite Beat Agents in the game so badly. How awesome would it be to have a character who fights with DANCE MOVES?!

The only question is, would you play as all three of them at once? Or perhaps just Agent J, and the other two agents could jump into the screen for the Final Smash?

And then, the other huge problem... if Sakurai wanted to include a character like this, would he just choose the Ouendan characters? (Who aren't as cool, IMO :( )

It's a long shot, but man... EBA would rawkkk :O

200px-Eddy_Gordo_Picture.jpg

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Stumpokapow said:
Again, if you set up a pre-trained neural network on the disc and use the Wii's storage to store modified results, you certainly can do adaptive AI.
You realize how difficult that is right?

Kind of OT but I discovered my Gamecube memory card still works and my Melee save with everything unlocked is still there. :D

Now to buy another copy of Melee.

esbern

you all do realize that the best chess player in the world has lost games to a computer (was it called deep blue?)

and don't even attempt to claim that smash brothers is as complicated as that game. or that any of you could pretend to be at that level of playing, next to a game that has been around for hundreds of years and still has strategies being made today.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
esbern said:
you all do realize that the best chess player in the world has lost games to a computer (was it called deep blue?)

and don't even attempt to claim that smash brothers is as complicated as that game. or that any of you could pretend to be at that level of playing, next to a game that has been around for hundreds of years and still has strategies being made today.

I culd write an essay as to why that isn't a valid analogy- and how a computer can perform in a game like chess has very little relation to programming of AI in games, etc. You may not buy this, but chess, to a computer, is a much 'simpler' game than SSB, or most videogames for that matter. Im not going to go into the reasoning as to why its simpler, but suffice to say that in a game like chess, a computer is in a much more advantageous position.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
esbern said:

But the computer doesnt yell back at you. Playing with other people is cool cause you can shit talk, make them nervous and beat them that way too.

Even if you played Online with somebody else and no voice chat, the sheer unpredictability of human players makes it more entertaining (not necessarily challenging) than playing against the computer

ant1532

Banned
esbern said:

In the top 5 dumbest posts so far this year.

Somnid

esbern said:

Board games such as chess have very well defined boundaries that make them easy to design algorithms for like Minimax. Essentially you can predict every possible move and create a tree in which you can find the access path that will lead to victory. The computational power comes in at how many of these tiers you can compute in a reasonable amount of time since it grows exponentially. Something like tic-tac-toe with fewer moves you can design algorithms such that the human player can never win, I believe you can do it with chess but there isn't enough computing power to do it. Something like Smash bros is infinately more complex as there are near unlimited moves to make at each instance.

Sharp

I'm not sure you guys understand the complexity of chess. But yes, it is a dumb post. Irrelevant too.
Somnid said:
Baord games such as chess have very well defined boundaries that make them easy to design algorithms for like Minimax. Essentially you can predict every possible move and create a tree in which you can find the access path that will lead to victory. The computational power comes in at how many of these tiers you can compute in a reasonable amount of time since it grows exponentially. Something like tic-tac-toe with fewer moves you can design algorithms such that the human player can never win, I believe you can do it with chess but there isn't enough computing power to do it. Something like Smash bros is infinately more complex as there are near unlimited moves to make at each instance.
Chess, when perfectly played, is known to result in a win for either White or Black, but it's unknown which it is, and if I remember correctly the computational time and space required exceeds the number of atoms and age of the universe by several times.

ant1532

Banned
I swear to...

If this thread goes into a chess vs Smash discussion....

Thank god for updates. This thread is hopeless without em.

scottnak

ant1532 said:
I swear to...

If this thread goes into a chess vs Smash discussion....

Thank god for updates. This thread is hopeless without em.
Seriously... Where the hell did that even come from.
2 hrs to cleanse the thread...

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
If I had say at Nintendo, save all handheld driven characters to make Smash DS.

I'd rather they put all effort towards making the Wii version awesome. I don't think I'd like a DS version that much. Especially considering Sakurai would have little to no involvement with it.

And yes, Japan Time has saved this thread before and it will save it again!

items suck
final destination ftw
i hate online
fox is top tier
wavedashing sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom