• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

Roi said:
YES Diddy Kong :D !
When I was young I used to play that I was Diddy Kong, my sister would be Dinky Kong :D .

diddygba.jpg

seinfeldohno.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
MicVlaD said:
Knew he'd be in Brawl in some way or another, but I was hoping Diddy would be an assist trophy. There are better Nintendo characters out there that should be playable instead.
Eh, Smash's character selection is mostly about recognizablity. Your assessment may be true, but the fact is that Diddy is a pretty prominent character in the Nintendo universe, much moreso than most of the suggestions you probably have in mind, I'd wager.

Chemo

A Link to the Snitch said:
DK is DK.

Anyone who says that DK didn't battle Mario AND K. Rool can suck an egg.
Keep the egg, but "Donkey Kong" in DKC is Donkey Kong Jr from the arcade. The original is Cranky, unless Nintendo has abandoned Rare's games as canon... which I seriously doubt. DK Jr did "battle" Mario to rescue his dad, though, so he did battle both.

Chemo said:
Keep the egg, but "Donkey Kong" in DKC is Donkey Kong Jr from the arcade. The original is Cranky, unless Nintendo has abandoned Rare's games as canon... which I seriously doubt.

Rare is full of shit. Rare WANTED Cranky to be the original DK, but Nintendo has never declared this themselves. Hell, Mario Superstar Baseball claims that DK is the original DK.

Also, on an unrelated note, heck, we might see Ness AND Lucas! People are saying that Ness might leave because Sakurai wanted to replace him back in Melee, but that was then. They could easily put both characters in!

Chemo

Rare is full of shit. Rare WANTED Cranky to be the original DK, but Nintendo has never declared this themselves. Hell, Mario Superstar Baseball claims that DK is the original DK.
I think I'm gonna go with a real Donkey Kong game's explanation over a Mario Sports title's.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just want some confirmation that G&W and the Ice Climbers are still in... I'm glad Diddy seems to have differentiated moves from DK, I hope they don't go the "clone" route in this game.

Sooo

Mario
Princess Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Pikachu
Pokémon Trainer
Link
Princess Zelda
Samus Aran
Kirby
Meta Knight
Fox McCloud
Ike
Solid Snake

17 that are probably already unlocked (I've converted to the idea that no one revealed is hidden).

So I'm predicting we'll see three more, which will include Ness -OR- Lucas and Captain Falcon.

So if my prediction is true, that means we'll see one more brand new character reveal.

NeonZ

Solid Snake

Even though Snake has been officially unveiled, he isn't shown in any screenshots from the site (unlike even Metaknight). I'd say it's very likely that he won't be a starter.

Zeed

Banned
Dammit, I knew when I went to sleep that I'd be missing a MEGATON.

Diddy, eh? Not my most favorite of characters, but I'm not complaining.

Haunted

So I'm predicting we'll see three more, which will include Ness -OR- Lucas and Captain Falcon.

So if my prediction is true, that means we'll see one more brand new character reveal.
no Luigi?

Zeed said:
Dammit, I knew when I went to sleep that I'd be missing a MEGATON.
Man, you should've been there. It was awesomely megatontastic.

Really had to be there. Let this be a lesson to you.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sooo

Mario
Princess Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Pikachu
Pokémon Trainer
Link
Princess Zelda
Samus Aran
Kirby
Meta Knight
Fox McCloud
Ike
Solid Snake

17 that are probably already unlocked (I've converted to the idea that no one revealed is hidden).

Dude, they've shown 3 new characters in the past 3 weeks, and there's still months of updates left to go. I don't necessarily think the new character reveals are going continue at this pace, mind you, but it's not going to slow down from 1 per week to 1 per 18 weeks. If they had that few new characters to reveal, they'd have spaced out the reveals a LOT more.

Expect at least 5 new character updates to come 'til release.

Shig said:
Dude, they've shown 3 new characters in the past 3 weeks, and there's still months of updates left to go. I don't necessarily think the new character reveals are going continue at this pace, mind you, but it's not going to slow down from 1 per week to 1 per 18 weeks. If they had that few new characters to reveal, they'd have spaced out the reveals a LOT more.

Expect at least 5 new character updates to come 'til release.
One way they can pad the updates is by showing us video footage. For example:

Mario Special Move video
Battlefield stage video
Mario Final Smash video
Banana item video :lol
Tether Recovery video

:D

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
If there are currently 17 characters in the game -- I'll go with my belief that there will be 8 more characters to make it 25 characters (25 characters were in Melee). Here's the rest of the roster that I'd like to see.

1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Ness
4. Captain Falcon
5. Falco
6. Ice Climbers
7. K. Rool or Wart or King Dedede
8. Captain Olimar or Kamek or Isaac

Those would be the final characters without any additions of 3rd party characters.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
CreatureX3 said:
One way they can pad the updates is by showing us video footage. For example:

Mario Special Move video
Battlefield stage video
Mario Final Smash video
Banana item video :lol
Tether Recovery video

:D
Eh, I think the different types of updates will continue with a similar frequency as they have been. They're not going to blow their load on character updates early and then leave us with only item/stage/music updates for the last weeks.

Caspel said:
If there are currently 17 characters in the game -- I'll go with my belief that there will be 8 more characters to make it 25 characters (25 characters were in Melee). Here's the rest of the roster that I'd like to see.

1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Ness
4. Captain Falcon
5. Falco
6. Ice Climbers

Those would be the final characters without any additions of 3rd party characters.

The entire roster, or just starters?

Because I can't see an increase of 11 starters, personally.

Also, both Dedede and K. Rool would DEFINITELY have to be secret if they were in.

Caspel

The entire roster, or just starters?

Because I can't see an increase of 11 starters, personally.

Also, both Dedede and K. Rool would DEFINITELY have to be secret if they were in.

The entire roster is what I am insinuating.

Caspel said:

1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Ness
4. Captain Falcon
5. Falco
6. Ice Climbers

7 and 8 could easily be assist trophies. With the exception of K. Rool perhaps, I'd like to see him as a boss in the story mode.

Caspel

MicVlaD said:
7 and 8 could easily be assist trophies. With the exception of K. Rool perhaps, I'd like to see him as a boss in the story mode.

are you stating that you wouldn't mind if all of those characters missed the final cut?

Jiggy

I actually went to sleep just eight minutes before the update. Go figure.

But, uh... hmm. Sakurai must really be on some kind of character kick lately. It's actually been 15 updates--three full weeks of updates--since we've had a new stage. Anyway, Diddy's a decent addition.

Caspel said:
The entire roster is what I am insinuating.

So.

SSBB would have 27 max (max. two third party characters).

If SSBB had the same amount of new characters, we'd see nine missing.

That would mean that only 16 characters would return.

40 may be pushing it, but 27 is pushing it even harder (in the other direction).

lawl at nubs who actually thought it was a stretch to see diddy kong make the roster.

He looks awesome tho, hes potentially my favorite new character based on the way they are hinting he moves

Caspel

So.

SSBB would have 27 max (max. two third party characters).

If SSBB had the same amount of new characters, we'd see nine missing.

That would mean that only 16 characters would return.

40 may be pushing it, but 27 is pushing it even harder (in the other direction).

Well I am just going by the minimum - 25 characters. If there are less than 25 characters in Brawl, then I will be disappointed. I'd love to see 30-40 characters in the game, but those are high hopes imo.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh shit, Diddy Kong! Playing as a quick maneuverable monkey will be fun.

I'm impressed by the rate at which new characters are being revealed.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Diddy!

Anyway, it looks like my prediction about the importance of Sakurai's character poll is slowly coming true. Every single revealed character so far has come from that list, and because Diddy was on it I've been predicting him for awhile.

King Dedede's chances just skyrocketed, too.

I was trying to go and grab the link to the poll at smashboards.com, but the site is down. :( I can't seem to remember what other characters were on it.

AntMurda

I think pretty much.

Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ganondof
Ness or Lucas
are givens!

Ice Climbers
Game&Watch
should be reconfirmed.

Pichu
Dr. Mario
Falco
Young Link
being the most violent clones are most likely those being removed.

Shiek as Zelda's transformation is up in the air.

Meowth
Jigglypuff
may be removed as well with the Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu now taking leads.

Dr.Hadji

djtiesto said:
I just want some confirmation that G&W and the Ice Climbers are still in... I'm glad Diddy seems to have differentiated moves from DK, I hope they don't go the "clone" route in this game.

Ya........ about those two..........
They aint coming back. You can almost bet on it, almost.

Akinola

AntMurda said:
I think pretty much.

Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ganondof
Ness or Lucas
are givens!

Ice Climbers
Game&Watch
should be reconfirmed.

Pichu
Dr. Mario
Falco
Young Link
being the most violent clones are most likely those being removed.

Shiek as Zelda's transformation is up in the air.

Meowth
Jigglypuff
may be removed as well with the Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu now taking leads.

There's no way they'll remove falco, he's #2 in the starfox command. If anything, they'll change up his moveset and add KRYSTAL. I'm calling it.

This game is gonna be huge. We won't get another smash until the next Ninty console comes out, so they'll have to make this one count.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
Anyway, it looks like my prediction about the importance of Sakurai's character poll is slowly coming true. Every single revealed character so far has come from that list, and because Diddy was on it I've been predicting him for awhile.
Pokemon Trainer was on the list? (Sincere question.)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Ah I found the lists!

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...sage.id=1390826&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Characters mentioned more then once in Sakurai's journal for BRAWL POLL: (edit: Taken after the first batch of newcomer characters were revealed at e3 2006 I believe)

1. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) (5 entries)

2. King Dedede (Kirby franchise) (5 entries)

3. Krystal (Star Fox franchise) (4 entries)

4. Ridley (Metroid franchise) (4 entries)

5. Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance) (4 entries)

6. Claus (Mother 3) (4 entries)

7. Diddy Kong (DK franchise) (4 entries)

8. Takamaru (Murasume's Secret Castle) (3 entries)

9. Tom Nook (Animal Crossing franchise) (3 entries)

10. Captain Olimar (Pikmin franchise) (3 entries)

11. Megaman (2 entries)

12. Black Shadow (F-Zero franchise) (2 entries)

13. Deimru/Deimelle (Tomato Adventure) (2 entries)

14. Jeff (Mother 2/ Earthbound) (2 entries)

15. Ray 01 (Custom Robo franchise) (2 entries)

16. King K. Rool (DK franchise) (2 entries)

17. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight) (2 entries)

18. Professor Kawashima (Brain Age) (2 entries)

19. Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu) (2 entries)

20. Diddy and Dixie Kong as a team (DK franchise) (2 entries)

21. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) (2 entries)

So far only two predictions on this list have come true... but the real reason I'd take a close look at it is how many characters we ended up seeing (both in Melee and so far in Brawl) from the Melee poll in 2001. Check it out:

The 2001 Offical Melee poll results:

Mario Bros:

1. Bowser (169)

2. Peach (66)

3. Wario (65)

4. Toad (27)

5. Koopa Troopa (9)

6. Kamek (8)

7. Goomba (7)

8. Mallow (5)

9. Geno (5)

10. Baby Mario (3)

Pokemon

1. Mewtwo (35)

2. Mew (24)

3. Red (18)

4. Misc. Pokemon (12)

5. Lugia (11)

6. Meowth (8)

7. Raichu (7)

8. Marill (5)

9. Bulbasaur (5)

10. Togepi (5)

Legend of Zelda

1. Ganondorf (36)

2. Young Link (8)

3. Zelda (8)

4. Sheik (8)

5. Shadow Link (2)

Kirby

1. King Dedede (46)

2. Gooey (17)

3. Metaknight (11)

4. Misc. Kirby Companion (10)

5. Waddle Dee (3)

Mother

1. Mr.Saturn (18)

2. Poo (6)

3. Other Good Guys from Mother 2 (Earthbound) (4)

4. Paula (4)

5. Starman (3)

6. Jeff (3)

Star Fox

1. Falco (7)

2. Slippy (5)

3. Wolf (4)

4. Peppy (2)

Fire Emblem

1. Marth (21)

2. Misc. Character from Fire Emblem (18)

3. Ogma (8)

4. Serris (4)

5. Sigurd (2)

6. Leaf (2)

Rare

1. 007 James Bond (35)

2. Banjo & Kazooie (18)

3. Diddy Kong (15)

4. Blast Corps Robot (2)

5. 006 (2)

Jiggy37 said:
Pokemon Trainer was on the list? (Sincere question.)

Just on the Melee list (as red) it looks like. Maybe Sakurai has had the idea of including Red since Melee, but couldn't fit him in that game?

Looks like I was wrong about Pit and ZSS being on the list. In Pit's case, however, he has always been heavily requested by Americans primarily I think... and these were Japan-only polls.

In any case, I think it's really really apparent that Sakurai listens very carefully to the fans. :)

Phatcorns

I'd still love to see Geno included. That'd be a blast from the past.

I also feel pretty sure that we will see bowser jr and Captain Olimar. King Dedede could be a likely possibility.

Jiggy

Huh, cool. And hey, I see Black Shadow and King Dedede. Maybe there's hope for them yet.
On the other hand, I've never figured out the love for Geno, and Gooey (GOOEY) getting more votes than Metaknight in the Melee poll truly boggles my mind.

Zeed said:
Lack of Lyn on that list is major, major fail.
Yeah, that too.

Edit: But really. GOOEY? A cheap low-rent Kirby knockoff sidekick? Pick Rick, Coo, ChuChu, Pitch, or that cat whose name I forget. Pick Knuckle Joe, the Sword enemy guy, Bonkers, the Ice power walrus who shakes his butt, Bugzzy the Suplex beetle, Sir Kibble, just any number of decent Kirby characters who aren't GOOEY.

Zeed

Banned
Seriously, I mean it, ban me for a week after Brawl comes out if Lyn is not in. I can't live in a world where Diddy Kong is in Brawl but Lyn isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom