• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I didn't forget Marth, and I do think he will remain in the game (and I really really want him to). I just think he will still be an unlockable, despite Ike's starter status.

Also, I think we're going to see the full starting roster in the next 2-4 weeks, (We might get double character updates next week, even) since I predict playable Brawl is going to start getting previewed to game sites and such (or maybe have its own event) sometime next month. :O

Zeed said:
As cool as Pheonix is as a character...he simply would not fit in a fighting game, never. Maybe as an Assist Trophy or something, but not as a fighter. If a Capcom character gets in it's going to be Megaman.

Megaman is probably my most wanted secret charater. O_O

Zeed

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Peach's Final Smash would have to be Psyche Bomb (good ol' Mario RPG). That would be epic.
It's been way too long since I've played Mario RPG. Can we get a screencap of Psyche Bomb in here?

Zeed said:
It's been way too long since I've played Mario RPG. Can we get a screencap of Psyche Bomb in here?

I totally forgot about Psych Bomb ('Hysterical Bomb' in Japaneez!). That'd be the sweetest Final Smash for Peach.

Slavik81

jiangjunizzy said:
too many specials are revolved around fire lets think of something new and awesome

All I count are Mario and Yoshi. I guess three if you include Giga Bowser's fire breath (assuming he keeps his entire moveset during the final smash).

I'd like to think Princess Toadstool's final smash would relate to the items she gives to you from SMB3, maybe she floats around using a P-Wing or Lakitu's Cloud.

To continue this whole Peach final smash thing, I actually realized it'd be awesome if she did the whole Angel-Wings thing like her Special in MSC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_un7fv8JW04&mode=related&search=

peachwingjr4.png

Michan

So I got banned for making the prediction of Dr. Kawashima?

It's perfectly legitimate. He's the character from one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the game. There's more of a chance of him being in it than, let's say, Sonic or Tom Nook. And yet, the people with those predictions get away with it?

If you're going to dish out bans for making predictions, do it fairly.

Kyosuke

Michan said:
So I got banned for making the prediction of Dr. Kawashima?

It's perfectly legitimate. He's the character from one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the game. There's more of a chance of him being in it than, let's say, Sonic or Tom Nook. And yet, the people with those predictions get away with it?

If you're going to dish out bans for making predictions, do it fairly.
I'm pretty sure it's about how you made that prediction.

Jiggy

Going with Pokemon Stadium stage tonight. Normally that wouldn't be my stage, but it's been shown every day of the last three days of updates, and we just had a Pokemon Trainer update for that matter. Seems like something's gotta give.

Zeed

Banned
usea said:
Basically she throws a bomb in the sky which rains down as multiple bombs making the explosion larger and larger.

Here are some images:
Hm...a bit boring, I suppose, but it could work if they make the explosions epic enough.

SuperAngelo64 said:
To continue this whole Peach final smash thing, I actually realized it'd be awesome if she did the whole Angel-Wings thing like her Special in MSC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_un7fv8JW04&mode=related&search=

peachwingjr4.png
Now that just looks great.

ohamsie said:
gliding is an cool mechanic, how can you say it is shitty?
Because we already knew about it. I suppose confirmation that Charizard can do it is something, but...eh...

I'm holding out for a Fridayton tomorrow.

usea

Awesome, even better horizontal recovery for those characters. Not just distance, but presumably options as well.

Not only that, but more movement options is always good. Freedom of movement is one of a few things that REALLY sets this game apart from other fighters at a high level.

Michan

For those predicting Snake: If Sakurai sticks by what he says, he won't be revealing unlockable characters until after the game has been released. Snake feels like an unlockable to me.

It's likely that there will never be a Snake update.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
We... did?
It's demonstrated in the Nintendo World Trailer, during Meta Knight's segment. Timestamp 00:56

Michan said:
For those predicting Snake: If Sakurai sticks by what he says, he won't be revealing unlockable characters until after the game has been released. Snake feels like an unlockable to me.

It's likely that there will never be a Snake update.
Sakurai never said explicitly that he wouldn't show unlockable characters, that's just assumed because it's how the Melee site worked. I think it's a fair assumption to make, but it's not absolutely confirmed.

Snake being unlockable WAS confirmed, however.

Jiggy

On reading over it again, maybe not being able to change direction isn't that much of an inhibition, but it's going to depend on exactly what he means by that. If there's no way to cancel the glide in the way Peach cancels her parasol, that's problematic. If there is, then it's a great mechanic.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
If there's no way to cancel the glide in the way Peach cancels her parasol, that's problematic.
That would be one way to balance it, because if there's not it seems potentially overpowered. Charizard is definitely not a light character, and with a large horizontal gliding distance, plus whatever his Up+B is...we're talking some serious recovery potential. And we already know that Meta Knight's Up+B covers a decent vertical distance (also I believe that in the original trailer he demonstrated multiple jumps a-la-Kirby). But on the other hand losing control of your character during the glide seems harsh.

I'm sure Sakurai will find a way to make it work.

Gliding? Oh yeah, this has GOT to lead to a Knuckles announcement. Come on, Nintendo, Sega. You know it makes sense. Knuckles is hard. He'd fit right into a brawl like this.

usea

Zeed said:
That would be one way to balance it, because if there's not it seems potentially overpowered. Charizard is definitely not a light character, and with a large horizontal gliding distance, plus whatever his Up+B is...we're talking some serious recovery potential. And we already know that Meta Knight's Up+B covers a decent vertical distance (also I believe that in the original trailer he demonstrated multiple jumps a-la-Kirby). But on the other hand losing control of your character during the glide seems harsh.

I'm sure Sakurai will find a way to make it work.
Having immense horizontal recovery isn't overpowered (peach, jiggly etc in melee). No single technique can be overpowered, only a character as a whole and only in relation to others.

Calling out potential balance issues with such an incredibly narrow view of the game is pretty silly.

Zeed said:
It's demonstrated in the Nintendo World Trailer, during Meta Knight's segment. Timestamp 00:56

Oh, good catch. Still, we didn't know that it was an actual fleshed-out game mechanic for all winged characters, which is what makes it so interesting.

I don't care what anyone says, this week has been a great week of updates. Well... aside from the spicy curry. :lol

Zeed

Banned
usea said:
Having immense horizontal recovery isn't overpowered (peach, jiggly etc in melee). No single technique can be overpowered, only a character as a whole and only in relation to others.

Calling out potential balance issues with such an incredibly narrow view of the game is pretty silly.
You'll note that in my post I reference other abilities or attributes that, when coupled with the gliding skill, make the character seem extremely powerful. For instance Peach's glide was largely justified by her weight, and her vertical recovery was relatively lame. What we have with Meta Knight is essentially a character with Kirby's jumps, Peach's glide (if indeed it works in a similar fashion, which is the assumption I was operating on in my post), along with a superior vertical recovery. Is he going to pay in other respects? Probably, which is why I expressed confidence that Sakurai would make it work.

Do we know for sure that Meta Knight has Kirby/Jiggly-esque jumping abilities? It would make sense, but I can't remember if it was every demonstrated in the videos.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
Do we know for sure that Meta Knight has Kirby/Jiggly-esque jumping abilities? It would make sense, but I can't remember if it was every demonstrated in the videos.
Shown in the original trailer, timestamp 00:56 (again). Meta Knight jumps at least five times in succession, maybe six.

Anyway my post was just rambling and shouldn't be taken very seriously. I'm off to bed, see you tomorrow thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom