• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Camera - Navigational voice commands

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
hey guys wouldn't it be funny if PS4 Camera has these navigational voice commands available in most of the countries they're launching in when it's not even packed in and it's totally optional

boy that would sure be funny

tumblr_mdo7qrvHlH1qc1xtmo1_500.jpg

Ricky_R

quaint, it just reminds me of the comment in the "Xbox One only five countries get full Kinect voice experience' topic where the one Xbox fanboy said

"That's five more countries than Sony will ever have voice recognition in. Ever."

Oops for him I guess :p

I guess this is nice for people who want it, but I'll still be avoided the PS Camera like a plague :p

UNLESS they release something like Project Spark where you can make your own games and have homebrew motion capture. THEN i'd get it for that alone

Don't be lazy dude. Search and reveal.

Cartman86

Banned
Can't wait to really see if Sony has changed or if it is as half assed as the PS3 was. Luckily for the Camera it's optional and not essential to the boxes image. Microsoft needs the Kinect to work perfectly for that whole multimedia image.

jaypah

I'm not as sold on it as you bud, I just have the vanilla SKU pre-ordered.

My launch bundle comes with BF4 and 3 months of PS+. I'm buying the camera separately because I've owned all of the PS cameras so far (and Kinect) and I have had silly fun with them over the years. I understand that it's not desirable for everybody as I seem to be one of the chosen few here that really dig stuff like Kinect and PSEYE but I do like the fact that one console has it as an option and the other is based around it. Since I'm going to eventually own both I'd like there to be some differences in approach.

tl;dr For a lot of people (most?) Sony made the right call having it optional. I'm just hoping for at least decent support.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My launch bundle comes with BF4 and 3 months of PS+. I'm buying the camera separately because I've owned all of the PS cameras so far (and Kinect) and I have had silly fun with them over the years. I understand that it's not desirable for everybody as I seem to be one of the chosen few here that really dig stuff like Kinect and PSEYE but I do like the fact that one console has it as an option and the other is based around it. Since I'm going to eventually own both I'd like there to be some differences in approach.

tl;dr For a lot of people (most?) Sony made the right call having it optional. I'm just hoping for at least decent support.

I think it will but the option to do video chats and take pics for profiles in certain games is nice to have. The Playroom will be a blast for my kids to try.

jaypah

I think it will but the option to do video chats and take pics for profiles in certain games is nice to have. The Playroom will be a blast for my kids to try.

I was going to get the camera based on hope. Playroom actually validated the purchase for me. I'm not even kidding. But I'm the type of person to smoke a bowl and have my wife walk in on me playing Happy Action Theatre. Naturally she joins in. I showed her Playroom and she's excited to play around with it too. Sony has been handling this run-up really well. I can't remember the last time a platform has seemed this solid, from messaging to hardware they are killing it.

Yeah, it's been there for a while I believe.

Curious as to how well it works and how integrated it is in OS.

It's probably the quickest crow I've ever seen someone have to eat. The turn around on this crow is only a few hours. Bad timing for him lol

Wasn't trying to be lazy, just couldn't find the post for a bit lol

Eating crow you say, Amir0x?

UNLESS they release something like Project Spark where you can make your own games and have homebrew motion capture. THEN i'd get it for that alone

Mandatory Kinect isn't a good thing; Kinect is a miserable dead-end piece of gaming technology that is only good for two genres and ruins everything else in kind. No matter how much you "improve" that direction of tech, you still will always lack tactile feedback, always lack the type of precision and reliability of a real controller. It'll always be a fundamentally inferior experience.

Now unless your game requires you to dance or participate in an ever increasing series of shallow mini-games, there's really no point for Kinect. The only use is "head tracking" - not worth wasting a $100 extra for Xbox One to force it upon everyone - and the voice stuff, which could have been done with a packed-in headset or a simple built-in mic on the console. I guess now they can track your heartbeat too, so you can add that if you like, but I'm sure the number of gimmick titles that meaningfully use such a thing in a way that I can ever care about will be something approaching zero.

So, there's your answer.

a.) It raises the price of the system too much for almost no gain
b.) It's a horrible piece of technology for gaming

Motion tracking is really nice for homebrew motion capture, isn't it? :p

coldfoot

Banned
This will be just as useful as the voice command stuff on Kinect.
Just as useless as any other voice recognition system out there

Amir0x

Banned
Eating crow you say, Amir0x?

Motion tracking is really nice for homebrew motion capture, isn't it? :p

Eh, I don't think this changes my position too much - I think it is a dead end piece of technology for GAMING. But Project Spark did modify my opinion to think that it could finally have a valuable application for making games since it allows homebrew motion capture solution, an idea I never thought of and never even imagined was possible.

That said, it makes sense, since motion capturing is not something that requires tactile feedback to function, as 99% of gaming genres do. So obviously it would be the type of concept to avoid my damning proclamation :)

But I have a far more open mind than people think... when something works, it works. I admit it when it happens. That homebrew motion capture solution is the first good idea I've ever heard for Kinect, and here I am admitting so :D

Facism said:
well, he now has a tag that links to this post :)

lol damn now I sorta feel bad

Eh, I don't think this changes my position too much - I think it is a dead end piece of technology for GAMING. But Project Spark did modify my opinion to think that it could finally have a valuable application for making games since it allows homebrew motion capture solution, an idea I never thought of and never even imagined was possible.

That said, it makes sense, since motion capturing is not something that requires tactile feedback to function, as 99% of gaming genres do. So obviously it would be the type of concept to avoid my damning proclamation :)
Haha, no harm no foul :p
I agree though, it is nice to actually see developers use motion in new ways with gaming, instead of just imagining the possibilities
I hope (and kinda expect) to see more of that stuff

Amir0x

Banned
Haha, no harm no foul :p
I agree though, it is nice to actually see developers use motion in new ways with gaming, instead of just imagining the possibilities
I hope to see more of that stuff

Yup. All I want is things that work man and I don't have to make sacrifices to enjoy. I was really floored when I heard about that concept of Project Spark, but since I was banned during Gamescom I couldn't comment on how surprised I was that here was an idea for Kinect that finally got through my cynicism and shocked me with its brilliance. That IS super smart, and if it works well, it might by itself justify the existence of Kinect since there'd be tons of people making homebrew games that utilize stuff like the motion capture.

We'll have to see how it comes together, but it's a good time to be a gamer regardless

GodofWine

True.

Also, the Xbone having Kinect at all times may encourage developers to use it's functions more. If they do that, then Sony may be encouraged to develop the eye more, as developers will not need to do much more work to use its functions as well.

The tough part about being a pure kinect game developer / publisher, is you have no idea how many people are actually using the camera, and how many wrapped it in electrical tape in the closet...if xb1 sells 10 million units, thats 10 million kinects, but how many users? how much of an undefined market do you think will buy the game...where do you set your budget??

At least with PS4eyes you feel better about the camera sales figure representing an actual interested party...granted this may lead to less 'AAA like' efforts, but will probably also not loss devs shirts.

just some thoughts...dismiss or praise as you wish.

Fake edit - Its like the Wii, they sold a bazillion, 75% are in closets, 20% play Wii sports once a year, 4% buy Mario games, and 1% might buy your game that had a bi budget cause you thought you had a bazillion potential buyers, when in fact you had 873. (all fake numbers :) )

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I see, Sony has had voice system navigation since the ps2? I know Socom had some voice commands but never knew Sony had invested heavily in navigational voice commands for the PS2. All that time I had my PS2 and PS Eye I could have been guiding my experience with my voice and didn't know it....
Sorry, you said "kinect" so I thought you were talking the more general package. Voice commands by themselves have already been validated by a number of different products that have been implementing them and refining them over the years, well before kinect arrived.

And really the only thing that should be validating kinect, esp. as a mandatory pack-in, is...kinect. Which, it doesn't seem to be doing too well these days.

jaypah

The tough part about being a pure kinect game developer / publisher, is you have no idea how many people are actually using the camera, and how many wrapped it in electrical tape in the closet...if xb1 sells 10 million units, thats 10 million kinects, but how many users? how much of an undefined market do you think will buy the game...where do you set your budget??

At least with PS4eyes you feel better about the camera sales figure representing an actual interested party...granted this may lead to less 'AAA like' efforts, but will probably also not loss devs shirts.

just some thoughts...dismiss or praise as you wish.

Fake edit - Its like the Wii, they sold a bazillion, 75% are in closets, 20% play Wii sports once a year, 4% buy Mario games, and 1% might buy your game that had a bi budget cause you thought you had a bazillion potential buyers, when in fact you had 873. (all fake numbers :) )

Interesting. I wonder how a developer would feel about support if the PS4 has sold 40mil, the 180 20mil but the PSEYE 7mil? I might be crazy but I think the majority of people who buy a 180 will hook the Kinect up during the initial setup and leave it there.

You know, all this talk about microphones in cameras seems ridiculous. You can get a 30c camera put into the console, make it the size of a pinhole, and not eve need an add-on for it to work.

JesseDeya

Banned
While it probably won't be as good as Kinect 2 I hope it's at least decent.

That's an interesting assumption. Kinect has a 4 microphone array. PS4 Eye (and PS3 Eye for that matter) also has a 4 microphone array. Hardware wise there is nothing stopping either system from detecting voice well - it comes down to software.

Microsoft may have an edge here, though their inability to prepare for more than a few languages for launch isn't confidence inspiring. Sony may offer a simpler version, with 10-20 canned phrases, but that work OOTB and across a great deal of languages. That would actually be a preferable solution to me, rather than a hit and miss Siri like experience.

Withnail

Sony is not completely new to this, Singstar has had voice controlled menus for a long time. Certainly before Kinect appeared on the scene.

But I'm still not particularly interested in talking to a machine.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sony created the Eyetoy and Microsoft then created the Vision Camera. Sony followed that up with the PSEye and Microsoft then brought out Kinect. So, do you people really believe that Sony are copying MS with PSEye2 or is it just a meme you've picked up along the way? If you honestly believe that Sony have put two cameras and better mic array in the PSEye2 just for the hell of it, you're crazy. The difference here is that when talking about the Sony camera, we say 'optional' whilst while talking about the Kinect2 we say 'potential'.

FeiRR

Banned
That IS super smart, and if it works well, it might by itself justify the existence of Kinect since there'd be tons of people making homebrew games that utilize stuff like the motion capture.

It's been used for motion capturing by small dev studios and amateurs and for other purposes since it's 1.0 release for PC. For example, you can see a presentation done with it here http://youtu.be/Pv9-GRZZO1Q (but for me it looks funny that he's waving his arms istead of clicking with a mouse).

demolitio

Classic. Not only the quickest turnaround on someone having to eat crow but also the quickest tag from that crow-eating incident.

He's setting all sorts of records.

Voice commands will be nice for when I get suckered into getting the new camera for MM's game. :D

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Voice recognition on consoles (and other multimedia devices) existed for some time, nobody really used it, but it is still the next big thing.

jackiechan.jpg

Than you, Siri.

Cool, but as with Kinect's voice commands, why do I need to buy/use a camera to access this feature? Why can't I use a headset?

Seems silly to limit the use to just the camera.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I would like voice control if it would allow me to filter through a large body of content - e.g. my game library - quickly.

There it's actually a win over a controller. Say 'go to Killzone', and bring up the Killzone page, rather than scrolling through your library. Or 'play '<song title>''. Obviously with a small library it may still be faster to use a controller, but with a large one, it would be nice to be able to jump directly to what you want.

Remind me - did Kinect do this? Was it just preset labels assigned to things on the screen or could you use proper nouns/game names?

I never used Singstar's, but I liked in the demo that you could actually say a song or artist's name and it would bring it up.

Remind me - did Kinect do this? Was it just preset labels assigned to things on the screen or could you use proper nouns/game names?

Generally it's preset labels for things you can see at any one time (from what I understand, that's how the system was designed because of memory constraints, since you need to keep recognition patterns in memory or something like that), but you could use Bing to search for anything. It worked... Sometimes.

They have a new system for Xbox One, of course, since the whole platform is built with Kinect in mind. It should be much more useful, flexible and natural.

I like the "autmoatic picture-in-video footage of you when playing" thing on the Amazon description.

Feeling slightly lured to this.

This is hardly surprising. Even if Sony doesn't have any deep hooks into the system right now, voice-command is pretty much the easiest component that Sony can copy from Kinect. And it's not something they don't have experience with.

Sony may not want to make any murmurs about their Camera to avoid direct comparison with Kinect, but I don't doubt that they're definitely trying to get as close as possible to parity with Kinect, at least in core usability functions.

Deeper Kinect features that is hardware reliant is of course, out of the question. But in a way, you could argue that Sony is banking that deeper uses of Kinect, like individual finger tracking, night-vision and heart-rate sensing don't take off and remains nothing more than a built-in gimmick. ( by not bundling their own camera )

QaaQer

Saw this coming a mile away. Sony be ticking boxes. As they should because they're more of a company and not so much a YouTube commenting fanboy. I'm picking up a camera at launch anyway so I'm excited to check this out. I love "gimmicks"!!

Gimmicks can be a lot of fun. I just hate when they are oversold, like with Kinect1. I think that's where a lot of the issues with Kinect2 come from, blowback from the marketing 'lies' of Kinect1.

Gimmicks can be a lot of fun. I just hate when they are oversold, like with Kinect1. I think that's where a lot of the issues with Kinect2 come from, blowback from the marketing 'lies' of Kinect1.

Perhaps there's some truth in that, but then you have to remember that both PS3 and Xbox 360 (and many consoles before them) were being oversold to us in their pre-launch days. I don't think that's the main reason behind antagonism toward Kinect.

Amir0x

Banned
It's been used for motion capturing by small dev studios and amateurs and for other purposes since it's 1.0 release for PC. For example, you can see a presentation done with it here http://youtu.be/Pv9-GRZZO1Q (but for me it looks funny that he's waving his arms istead of clicking with a mouse).

Oh nice. Still, it's cool it's being utilized centrally for a thing like Project Spark to make it easier for burgeoning game designers to do stuff like this. When you think about it, the savings something like that must allow is insane.

Sony's voice recognition has supported 20 languages since 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TaUsSy-f0Y

is this the same amount of languages that will be supported by PS4 at launch? It's very difficult these days to keep track of what's going work when and how for who for these systems anymore. Need a manual to know which features will be at launch and for whom lol

kitch9

Banned
Doubt it's going to have the depth that the Kinect will have, but it's nice of them to offer the option.

Not being funny, what special depth does Kinect have? MS haven't even shown it off. As with most voice recognition solutions it will fall down if there is background noise in the room, that is pretty much guaranteed.

Apple don't even bother advertising Siri anymore as everyone knows it is not very good.

synce

Doesn't sound any less unappealing than with Xbone. I'll prefer traditional controls until I die

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
is this the same amount of languages that will be supported by PS4 at launch? It's very difficult these days to keep track of what's going work when and how for who for these systems anymore. Need a manual to know which features will be at launch and for whom lol

The video says that lib 'intends' to support 20 languages, but that's not necessarily the same thing as actually doing that...

And the PS4 stuff might be another library. So I wouldn't use it as a guide.

Generally it's preset labels for things you can see at any one time (from what I understand, that's how the system was designed because of memory constraints, since you need to keep recognition patterns in memory or something like that), but you could use Bing to search for anything. It worked... Sometimes.

They have a new system for Xbox One, of course, since the whole platform is built with Kinect in mind. It should be much more useful, flexible and natural.

Yeah, I that's what we should get. Waste of potential with just preset labels IMO.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
As with most voice recognition solutions it will fall down if there is background noise in the room, that is pretty much guaranteed.

I suspect Kinect 2 to be better in this respect than Kinect 1, but this old image still makes me chuckle (It's a bit fanboyish, but applies to all those systems). It also fits with my own experience. Even if a voice recognition system works 95% of the time, those 5% where it doesn't work are over-proportionally annoying.

Top Bottom