• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys check out this wallpaper I just spent some time on. I'm going to be adding each character as they get announced, so I think I'm gonna have to shrink the characters down a bit. I'm also thinking about adding the logos for each franchise along the top inside the blue box, and removing characters

SMASH2.jpg

Scribble

OK, lemme rep the Sonic side of things.

What I want:

Newcomer Sonic!

4qg7afm.jpg

Music:
Remix of "invincibility theme"/Super Sonic theme
Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Ice Cap Zone

What will probably happen

Newcomer Sonic Rivals!

4uo4yt1.jpg

Music:
Live and Learn (I still like this song, though =X)
His World
It Doesn't Matter
City Escape

NeonZ

People want Megaman, but there's already been three Megaman cameos in Capcom fighting games already, notably Marval vs Capcom, SNK vs Capcom (or was it the other way around... .

Zero (from MMZ) was in SNK VS Capcom, not Megaman.

Scribble

Darkpen said:
lol, why not just assume she has some protection there D:

oh my god, that art screams early 90's D

:D
Although the newer design is...newer, who the hell wants Sonic in Brawl based on his recent, "post Nintendo rivalry" days, like what they're doing in Mario and Sonic? It's like, missing the point entirely, IMO. The Mario and Sonic rivalry is based on what they were like back then - right now, Sonic is nothing compared to Mario.

And nice wallpaper, layzie1989.

People want Megaman, but there's already been three Megaman cameos in Capcom fighting games already, notably Marval vs Capcom, SNK vs Capcom (or was it the other way around... whichever has the SNK art style), and that Onimusha-whatever fighting game that had Megaman EXE.

It'd be cool to have a character in who wouldn't have a 3D render/playable appearance otherwise due to dead franchise.

Darkpen

Banned
NeonZ said:
Zero (from MMZ) was in SNK VS Capcom, not Megaman.
Why do you think I said this:

Darkpen said:
you know what, I don't doubt Megaman/Megaman EXE/Megaman Z's Zero making an appearance :|
:|

I know that. By "Megaman," I was referring to the franchise, not the specific character. I just specified Megaman EXE for the Onimusha game because I find that game to be more obscure than the previous two.

Scribble said:
:D
Although the newer design is...newer, who the hell wants Sonic in Brawl based on his recent, "post Nintendo rivalry" days, like what they're doing in Mario and Sonic? It's like, missing the point entirely, IMO. The Mario and Sonic rivalry is based on what they were like back then - right now, Sonic is nothing compared to Mario.
That doesn't even make sense. I would rather he be up to date in his current 3D model than that old crap.

Scribble

That doesn't even make sense. I would rather he be up to date in his current 3D model than that old crap.

Take a fucking chill pill. I was saying that all the hype over Sonic being in Brawl is to do with his old gen/snes rivalry. When I see the new Sonic, it reminds me of Sonic Adventure, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Rivals, Sonic 2006, Sonic Riders, etc. Not all of which are bad games, but aren't brilliant, at all.

Seeing Sonic in his old style (but slightly refined) would remind me of the old MD days. But again, it won't happen.

Darkpen

Banned
Scribble said:
Take a fucking chill pill. I was saying that all the hype over Sonic being in Brawl is to do with his old gen/snes rivalry. When I see the new Sonic, it reminds me of Sonic Adventure, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Rivals, Sonic 2006, Sonic Riders, etc. Not all of which are bad games, but aren't brilliant, at all.

Seeing Sonic in his old style (but slightly refined) would remind me of the old MD days. But again, it won't happen.
Yes, the rivalry goes way back, but then what about consistency? Wouldn't that mean to suggest for Mario to look like this:

Super_Mario_Bros_3_boxfront-744048.jpg

Instead of this:

928518_20060510_screen031.jpg

Scribble

Mario hasn't gone through a drastic change in appearance at all, so you can't really compare Mario's jump to 3D with Sonic's. Mario has always looked the same (Although he looks a bit rounder and "cutesy" now)

Darkpen

Banned
Scribble said:
Mario hasn't gone through a drastic change in appearance at all, so you can't really compare Mario's jump to 3D with Sonic's. Mario has always looked the same (Although he looks a bit rounder and "cutesy" now)
what, and this doesn't scream "90's! Attitude! Blast Processing!" at you?

4uo4yt1.jpg

If 3D could look this good back then, I bet it would.

Scribble

Darkpen said:
what, and this doesn't scream "90's! Attitude! Blast Processing!" at you?

4uo4yt1.jpg

If 3D could look this good back then, I bet it would.

No, it screams:

"What you see is what you get! Just a guy that loves adventure! I'm Sonic The Hedgehog!" at me =(

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Scribble said:

What? Did you actually look at the Mario pics above? Which one looks rounder and more "cutesy" to you?

Darkpen

Banned
Scribble said:
No, it screams:

"What you see is what you get! Just a guy that loves adventure! I'm Sonic The Hedgehog!" at me =(
D:

I'm not getting that from the picture.

Personally, I think it would be hilarious if there was a Sonic/Mario cartoon crossover mashup, with Chili dogs and public service announcements regarding child molestation, meets wrestler guy dressed as Mario and Bowser trying to swoon Peach D:

jts

...hate me...
I must say i disapprove the denim texture on that Mario, but as far as the model goes, it couldn't be much more reliable to the Mario look except that is in 3d as opposed to the artwork - artwork and not quite the actual 2d sprite in SMB3 - that you're worshiping.

You know, I'm probably the only classic gamer who actually is all for the "GRR ATTITUDE" they're marketing today; I think it rules. I think people are just too set in their ways to see their characters they love evolve through the years.

I am a huge Mario fan, my desk is covered with Mario merchandise and other Nintendo shit, my walls have had posters of Mario ranging from old Milk ads from the 80's to the current Smash Brawl render of Mario. I love the art for Strikers, it rules. In fact it's more awesome than any previous incarnation of Mario, there I said it.

The same goes for Sonic. I love the old Sonic games, hell, I'm even listening to the Sonic 3 soundtrack as I type. It's probably my second favorite series of all time. But I'm not going to lie.. while I am sentimental about old Sonic games.. the current design is just superior. I know it has "Attitude" and while most gamers like to go against the grain to establish themselves as a segregated group of 'classic gamers' (in turn shunning anything that might be -gasp- popular or follow aesthetics of -gasp- "society's idea of COOL"). This is just my opinion, but hell:

Brawl Mario is just plain cooler looking than NES/SNES-generation Mario

Adventure Sonic is just plain cooler looking than Genesis Sonic.

Lobster

Banned
mio said:
I must say i disapprove the denim texture on that Mario, but as far as the model goes, it couldn't be much more reliable to the Mario look except that is in 3d as opposed to the artwork - artwork and not quite the actual 2d sprite in SMB3 - that you're worshiping.

I love the denim textures. It was kind of boring seeing Mario look the same as always. Seriously the only difference between all the 3d Marios (excluding soccer games) is just the polygon counts.

Scribble

SuperAngelo64 said:
The same goes for Sonic. I love the old Sonic games, hell, I'm even listening to the Sonic 3 soundtrack as I type. It's probably my second favorite series of all time. But I'm not going to lie.. while I am sentimental about old Sonic games.. the current design is just superior. I know it has "Attitude" and while most gamers like to go against the grain to establish themselves as a segregated group of 'classic gamers' (in turn shunning anything that might be -gasp- popular or follow aesthetics of -gasp- "society's idea of COOL").

Well, this may be true when it comes to "most gamers", as you say, but I'm not one of those people -- I'm talking specifically about Sonic. It's not that I hate the design, it's just that Sonic in his current form just reminds me of the "shitty friend syndrome" and "downfall" of the Sonic franchise. Makes it difficult to believe that Sonic CD and 1-3 were actually part of the same series.

Oh yeah, I hate all of Sonic's new shitty friends.

Shadow would've been cool if he
stayed dead in Sonic Adventure 2.
Maybe even "Legendary".

But the rest? I mean Silver, and... other evil Shadow? I mean wtf.

I personally love the Sonic Adventure series though. Sonic Adventure 1 is my all-time Sonic game, with Sonic 3 + Knuckles at a very close second.

Holy Order Sol said:
I liked Pumpkin Hill. :(
This thread is getting embarrassing. :lol

It's ok, my favorite track was Rouge's Theme.

But back on track!!!

If Sonic were in Brawl.. the two tracks I'd love to see in the My Music screen are

Hydrocity Zone Act 1 (Sonic 3)
Welcome to Station Sqaure (Sonic Adventure)
<-- Best song in the ENTIRE Sonic series imo

layzie1989 said:
Hey guys check out this wallpaper I just spent some time on. I'm going to be adding each character as they get announced, so I think I'm gonna have to shrink the characters down a bit. I'm also thinking about adding the logos for each franchise along the top inside the blue box, and removing characters

http://www.imagevimage.com/images/SMASH2.jpg
That is really sweet looking! All the Brawl models look freaking amazing! :D

Scribble said:
Best Sonic design ever!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SuperAngelo64 said:
I disagree
art01.gif

Yuji Uekawa is a god.

When they try to make a hedgehog look badass they ruin it, Sonic was better in the old days

He looks like... well its not even hair! HEDGEHOGS DONT JUST GROW QUILLS TO LOOK BADASS!

What we have now is a retarded looking sonic trying to appeal to the lame generation thats following mine (was just a wee one when Sonic started out)

I actually enjoyed most of the tunes from Sonic Adventure 2. Despite what most of GAF says about the soundtrack, I found it to be quite catchy.

Still, I believe SSBB will blow that game out of the water in the music department.

lsslave said:
What we have now is a retarded looking sonic trying to appeal to the lame generation thats following mine (was just a wee one when Sonic started out)

I rest my case, people.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7934072&postcount=21376

Keru_Shiri said:
Still, I believe SSBB will blow that game out of the water in the music department.

You'll be lucky if 'blown out've the water' is all it walks away with.

I'm expecting this game's soundtrack to make every other game soundtrack explode into pieces.. and then each of those pieces will individually implode.

Scribble

I KNOW that it's here, I can sense it in my feet -- the great emerald's power allows me to feel. I can't see a thing but it's around somewhere, I gotta hold my head; I have no fear, I Know this sounds crazycrazyzzraarasfsdy this graveyard theory:

A ghost trying to approach ME? It got "leery."

I actually didn't like any of the Knuckles rap.

The only one I liked was the chorus of the first Knuckles Theme from Sonic Adventure 1.

Won't be frightened I'll stand up to all the pain and turmoil!
Just believe in myself won't rely on others!

That shit was the best. Rest of the song sucked though.

Oh, and the Meteor Herd song from Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty sweet.

moocow

I don't know about sonic. The biggest problem I see with him being in it is that the Olympic games are being marketed as the first time the two mascots are in a game together, and him being in brawl would kind of take away from that.

SuperAngelo64 said:
You'll be lucky if 'blown out've the water' is all it walks away with.

I'm expecting this game's soundtrack to make every other game soundtrack explode into pieces.. and then each of those pieces with individually implode.
I won't gainsay it. The way the soundtrack is shaping up, this game should have the most epic music scores for generations to come.

moocow said:
I don't know about sonic. The biggest problem I see with him being in it is that the Olympic games are being marketed as the first time the two mascots are in a game together, and him being in brawl would kind of take away from that.

I've been thinking that too. And honestly... If Sonic isn't in Brawl because they wanted to market that Mario and Sonic Olympic game...

I will honestly boycott the game. Even if Mario IS in it!

Scribble

SuperAngelo64 said:
I actually didn't like any of the Knuckles rap.

The lyrics were so bad that they were good!

Who could'a did this, that stitch named Rouge!
When I catch her, I'ma get her with these tools,
There you are, come here you little thief!
Think you gon' fly and get away quick? Uh, uh!
Give up the Emeralds or die, I DON'T LOVE YOU!

The most awesome song in SA2 overall is the final Sonic/Shadow fight (at the end of Hero/Dark story), in which they're racing to the Eclipse Cannon or something.

I guess that I do have fond memories of SA2 - it may not have been so bad if the 3D games following that just built on that formula and improved it. By now, we'd have an SSS+ Sonic game. That's what Sonic 2006 tried to do, right? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom