• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Angry Mario? Jesus Christ what a terrible design... Actually lemme rephrase that, I thought he looked cool in the first Strikers, but what they did in Charged! was just overboard too much is too much.

As a general rule, taking any character from their original design and trying to make them badass to appeal to a younger audience usually falls flat on its face, the ony good exception to this rule that I can think of is Megaman since his X model looked like a good transition.

Mario in strikers is still tolerable since it follows the whole game motif, but to say thats a better design than any other Mario is just silly. True its your opinion and youre entitled to that, but Im super fucking glad he doesnt look like that in, lets say Mario Galaxy or Brawl.

Pureauthor said:
Do or do not, there is no... well, you know.

I actually just saw that movie for the first time an hour ago :lol

Raging Spaniard said:
As a general rule, taking any character from their original design and trying to make them badass to appeal to a younger audience usually falls flat on its face.

I could not disagree more.

And I don't believe it's to appeal to a younger audience.. I think it's to appeal to a broader audience.

Jiggy

In defense of angry Mario, there are definitely benefits to making a character dynamic versus static.
...in a story. But the Mario series doesn't have the greatest of stories, so I kind of like static perma-happy Mario. >_>

Jiggy37 said:
In defense of angry Mario, there are definitely benefits to making a character dynamic versus static.
...in a story. But the Mario series doesn't have the greatest of stories, so I kind of like static perma-happy Mario. >_>
Happy Mario > Angry Mario. Always.

mariobee.jpg

I just visited the Dojo site after a long time. Man I think I have hyped this game up beyond reason, or feasibility. It will never live up to expectations of mine.

Ater looking at some of those screens, I am thinking:-

-Each character wil have physics like in Twilight Princess, their feet always touch the groud, and legs always adjust to gradient etc.

- The music is going to be so diverse and amazing

- The insane amount of characters, and supporting characters, and stage characters, man theres like hundreds, and all of them so well finished.

- The insane amount of animations. I mean just seeing that pic of Solid Snake throwing that box, could he really have both hands grabbing exactly the edge of the box, and then do that for all the characters, and then do that for all the items that can be picked up and thrown. I mean Solid snake has 3 different animations for just throwing one grenade at different strengths.

Man I am being overloaded with thoughts, of the devotion this HAL Labs could possibly have for making there masterpeice.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Man I am being overloaded with thoughts, of the devotion this HAL Labs could possibly have for making there masterpeice.

It's more of an all-star recruit team developing this composed of Sakurai+Nintendo (20-30)+Secret Company (20-30)+HAL (3-5). Team is over 50+ people.

Jiggy

the thoroughbred said:
I just visited the Dojo site after a long time. Man I think I have hyped this game up beyond reason, or feasibility. It will never live up to expectations of mine.
Sure it will. :D
Unless you're hoping for Geno or Mia from Fire Emblem. Then it won't. >_>

Cue flame war.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
It's more of an all-star recruit team developing this composed of Sakurai+Nintendo (20-30)+Secret Company (20-30)+HAL (3-5). Team is over 50+ people.

Most devs don't even have different animations for different weapons, they all just come out the same. These guys have different animations for the same damn weapon, depending on the strength of its throw, now just multiply that by the number of characters and weapons. That's a hell of a lot of detail.

Man I am all for it. I hope they do actaully do all of this. Judging by the little blog posts around the pics, it looks like he's putting a lot of effort into it, I hope he shows what power is all about, not just pushing polygons.

Scribble

This game must get at least 9.5 everywhere:

Quality + Quantity, you see. I can't *wait* to see the reasons reviewers have for giving it below 9.5 or similar.

EDIT: Unless they screw up with the gameplay. Which won't happen =P

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Who is the damn secret company, and why is it still a secret? I can't think of any reason

GamerSoul

Jiggy37 said:
Sure it will. :D
Unless you're hoping for Geno or Mia from Fire Emblem. Then it won't. >_>

Cue flame war.

I'm just hoping for a bit more diverse female characters and Isaac, as of now atleast. I got my Ike already so i'm good.

Jiggy

Scribble said:
This game must get at least 9.5 everywhere:

Quality + Quantity, you see. I can't *wait* to see the reasons reviewers have for giving it below 9.5 or similar.
I expect these reasons that I'll disagree with:
-It's a sequel that plays like a sequel, instead of the FF system of providing a sequel that plays nothing like a sequel
-Should have had 25-30 arranged themes instead of 115 MIDIs or however many we get
-Wi-Fi is too laggy (even though fighting games are hard to get to work)
-No support for voice chat
-Takes too long to unlock everything
-One or two types of control style will prove itself/themselves too superior over the others
-Using the C stick or second analog stick to attack is "cheap" (even though it isn't)
-Nintendo's not moneyhatting us for high scores and therefore we'll give low scores until Nintendo starts moneyhatting in the future (I'm joking on this one, I think)

GamerSoul said:
I'm just hoping for a bit more diverse female characters and Isaac, as of now atleast. I got my Ike already so i'm good.
So are we all, but it's starting to look bad. :( And I'd have loved Mia, honestly.

Jiggy37 said:
-One or two types of control style will prove itself/themselves too superior over the others
These are the ones I seriously expect will be in most reviews

Jiggy37 said:
I expect these reasons that I'll disagree with:
-It's a sequel that plays like a sequel, instead of the FF system of providing a sequel that plays nothing like a sequel
-Should have had 25-30 arranged themes instead of 115 MIDIs or however many we get
-Takes too long to unlock everything
-Using the C stick or second analog stick to attack is "cheap" (even though it isn't)
-Nintendo's not moneyhatting us for high scores and therefore we'll give low scores until Nintendo starts moneyhatting in the future (I'm joking on this one, I think)

You're forgetting the most important of all

-NO HD!! WTF NINTENDO!!
-LAST GEN GRAPHICS! GET WITH IT, WiiTARDS!
-NO UNLOCKABLE MASTER CHIEF

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm going to guess.... Ganbarion

Cant be, thats a total downgrade.

Im guessing the Zelda team, it makes sense since they were done with all the art in Zelda by the time Brawl was announced. Remember that TP Wii version had no updated graphics and only a handful of engineers stayed behind for the controls, 480p support and widescreen, the game itself had been done for a year prior to release.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Honestly, I don't expect this to get a high score in EDGE. I honestly don't understand what their beef is with the Smash Bros. games...

NeonZ

Isn't that the point of the Subspace Emissary mode? A full fledged adventure unlike anything in the last games? I think it might lose points if the reviewers don't like the new Adventure mode, but not due to lack of changes.

GamerSoul

Jiggy37 said:
So are we all, but it's starting to look bad. :( And I'd have loved Mia, honestly.

Hell yeah it's starting to look bad. Most of the Females that are left either play different supporting roles to the main character or are very discrete and don't seem to stand a chance.

If I remember correctly, there were a couple a females on Sakurai's poll. Krystal, Palutena, Medusa, Lip, Mia and a couple more. Hopefully Sakurai will choose wisely and add some characters that he feels fit. Like Capt. Syrup. :D

We need more big suprises, like the Pkmn Trainer, that come from out of no where.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
These are the ones I seriously expect will be in most reviews
I could see the MIDI one making a good number of reviews too, but yeah, probably not "most."

NeonZ said:
Isn't that the point of the Subspace Emissary mode? A full fledged adventure unlike anything in the last games? I think it might lose points if the reviewers don't like the new Adventure mode, but not due to lack of changes.
Hmm... well, I was mostly thinking about multiplayer, but you're right that single-player should get a lot more credit than before. It might balance out, now that you mention it.

GamerSoul said:
If I remember correctly, there were a couple a females on Sakurai's poll. Krystal, Palutena, Medusa, Lip, Mia and a couple more. Hopefully Sakurai will choose wisely and add some characters that he feels fit. Like Capt. Syrup. :D
Captain Syrup would own. :eek: And then they could have two characters with the Wario symbol.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm fine with angry mario where he fits. He fits in Smash, he fit in Strikers, he didn't fit in Sunshine. Mario Kart DS could go either way.

Thats the thing, I would have hated Angry Mario in Strikers if he was the "New Mario" and he looked like that from now on... but its specific to the Strikers series. I don't mind it at all... it's something new, and it looks like the team had fun with the designs.

Now, I think it's a tragedy that "Badass Sonic" is the Sonic we're stuck with indefinately. I love the 90s Sonic design... so much more charm (and yes I will admit that nostalgia is part of my reasoning. I look at old school Sonic and have warm fuzzy memories. I look at New Sonic and ...nothing.)

YakiSOBA

too many pages to go through, is ness going to be a playable character?

if not, are there any characters that were in both SSB and SSBM that are confirmed not to be a playable character in brawl?

Now, I think it's a tragedy that "Badass Sonic" is the Sonic we're stuck with indefinately. I love the 90s Sonic design... so much more charm (and yes I will admit that nostalgia is part of my reasoning. I look at old school Sonic and have warm fuzzy memories. I look at New Sonic and ...nothing.)

No, I agree with you. The original Sonic design is so much better. His proportions are cartoony... but that's a much more suitable style than that of the "realistic", thin version Sega has replaced it with.

YakiSOBA said:
too many pages to go through, is ness going to be a playable character?

if not, are there any characters that were in both SSB and SSBM that are confirmed not to be a playable character in brawl?
This isn't confirmed but, 90% sure Ness will be in. Also, Sakurai said that he didn't want clones, so I'm guessing pichu/young link/marth/roy won't be returning. I'm guessing popular characters like Luigi, Falco(?) etc will return though.

Somnid

I like the new Sonic design but it's marred by shitty games with shitty friends (who's designs suck). I mean Shadow was a perfectly fine doppleganger type character until they decided to give him a gun, then it was a tragedy.

Chao

SuperAngelo64 said:
You're forgetting the most important of all

-NO HD!! WTF NINTENDO!!
-LAST GEN GRAPHICS! GET WITH IT, WiiTARDS!
-NO UNLOCKABLE MASTER CHIEF

You forgot about:

-SMASH BROS ISN'T A REAL FIGHTING GAME IT HAS NO DEPTH LOLZ

Firestorm

OliveJuice said:
This isn't confirmed but, 90% sure Ness will be in. Also, Sakurai said that he didn't want clones, so I'm guessing pichu/young link/marth/roy won't be returning. I'm guessing popular characters like Luigi, Falco(?) etc will return though.

Sakurai has never even MENTIONED clones. Stop making me say this again and again.

Raging Spaniard said:

Im guessing the Zelda team, it makes sense since they were done with all the art in Zelda by the time Brawl was announced. Remember that TP Wii version had no updated graphics and only a handful of engineers stayed behind for the controls, 480p support and widescreen, the game itself had been done for a year prior to release.
The intro press release for SSBB mentioned that the "Secret group" that was helping with SSBB had just finished working on "a big Nintendo game", which would kinda have to be TP.

I don't know if that narrows it down, since I don't know if we know everybody who worked on Zelda:TP ...

Firestorm said:
Sakurai has never even MENTIONED clones. Stop making me say this again and again.
I thought I read this somewhere back when SSBB was announced, guess I was mistaken. Although, even if he didn't mention it I really doubt he would include clones like Pichu/Roy/Young Link.

Shiggy

Since this right here ? is the headline, I'll just write it plain and simple:
I have begun work on the newest installment of Super Smash Bros. as both director and game designer.

So, for a short while starting now, I will write in this column about the sequence of events that led to my involvement in this project.

It was May of 2005 on the day before the opening of E3 (The Electronic Entertainment Exposition-the world's largest video game show).
It was near the location of this event at Nintendo's Show Preview where they announced their efforts for the coming year.
It was announced that Smash Bros. was being developed for Nintendo's new game system, (tentatively) called the Revolution.

The theater filled with applause.
But I thought "Huh?"

At the party afterwards many people spoke to me asking "So, you're gonna make a new Smash Bros.?" But I had heard nothing about it, and in fact at that point in time there was no Smash Bros. project in motion anywhere.

Now, I am the designer who gave birth to the Smash Bros. games, but I own no rights to the franchise. So if Nintendo says they will make Smash Bros., they absolutely can. So I saw nothing strange about it whatsoever, but...

Flashback to fall of 2003.
It's shortly after I've resigned from the company I had worked for: Hal Labs-the makers of Smash Bros.

I was in the office of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, my former boss at Hal Labs, for some idle conversation.

During the conversation, the topic of whether or not there would be a sequel to Smash Bros. came up.

This is what Mr. Iwata said:
"Smash Bros. was a game that came about through your connections because you, Sakurai, gained the understanding of a variety of people, so I don't think we be able to have just anyone create the game.
It is a franchise of great importance for Nintendo, so I can't promise you that we won't create a new game, but if we do I would definitely run it by you."

Because of these events, the announcement at E3 was a mystery.

Then one day during the E3 show...
I was called to the hotel where Mr. Iwata was staying, and I went to meet him in a room on the top floor.

The creation of a new Smash Bros. was for the most part decided.
I was called by Mr. Iwata and came here to meet him.
It didn't seem like grumbling would get things started...

"What would you like me to do?"
"I'd like you to be involved in the development of the new Smash Bros. in a position that is very close to a director-style position."

There was a reason Smash Bros. was announced at the meeting.
That was because when it was asked what product Nintendo would want to use to help it unveil its Wi-Fi Network, the first title on the list in both America and Japan was Smash Bros. So it was first decided to talk about Smash Bros. as an example of a Wi-Fi title, resulting in the game being announced before the development structure was finalized.

That was all fine and good, but it put me in a very tight spot.

As an independent game designer, I had come to E3 to try to foresee what type of work I would take on next.

Several companies had requested my game creation skills, but I asked them to wait until after I had seen everything at E3. That was so I could make plans after seeing each company's next gen machines with my own eyes.

Then this muscled its way in. What if I had declined this offer?

"We'd work to make the game independently, but we might be told to simply focus on making the game Wi-Fi compatible, and may be instructed not to lay a hand on any of the 26 characters in the current game, Super Smash Bros. Melee."

They would make Smash Bros. without changing any of the 26 characters in any way whatsoever. What kind of a new installment would that make. And Mr. Iwata wouldn't be too hot on the idea of just handing the franchise over to someone else. Probably.

So came the sudden request to create Smash Bros. and the related complications.
Should I do it? Or not?

A conversation I had with Eiji Aonuma, producer of the Legend of Zelda series, best represents what caused me to make my decision.

It was after Nintendo's announcement at a party packed with people from the industry.

"Sakurai-san! Please make Smash Bros.! You are gonna make it, right?"

"Well, uh, I wonder what will happen." (I was a little incoherent because I didn't know how to respond.)

"To be honest, if you aren't involved with it, that will probably mean the end to the Smash Bros. series.
Smash Bros. piles together so many elements from so many games and continues entertaining people without ever growing old. It's your skill, your sense, your thinking that's allowed that to happen. I don't think there's anyone who can replace you.
Creating a Smash Bros. with no soul would be a waste of time."

There is something that only I can create, and it is desired now. If I'm not going to show my strengths now, when will I? And among all the activities I could undertake, the best way to satisfy the most consumers, including those overseas, would probably be to create Smash Bros.

If the result of leaving it up to someone else was to cause regret for both the fans and the creators of the games related to Smash Bros., then I, too, would likely be deeply wounded.

So, I decided to become director. And as of May, 2005, I was the only member of the new Smash Bros. development team.

As an independent designer, my decision to participate and Smash Bros. development caused me a great deal of damage.

If I were to work as director, that would mean I would have to be involved in that project exclusively. What's more, it would require all of my strength to create a Smash Bros. caliber of game. It was not the type of "just providing a little input" type of work that I was trying to do going forward.

The result was that with the exception of one project that was already underway, I had to decline the other offers of work that I had received.

Including those individuals whom I had asked to wait until after E3. So I am filled with apologies for those people who had sent work my way.
If I could ask for one thing it would be that they not abandon me.

So what of the magnanimous development staff?
It turned out that Nintendo would build a new team around me in Tokyo.

In other words, we would create a new studio.

There was also a proposal to develop the game in Kyoto at Nintendo headquarters, but the there you'd draw a different people, and I had need to be in Tokyo anyway.

Additionally, there are several people in Tokyo with experience developing Smash Bros., and it was decided that they would join the team. And the name of talented staff members were offered up.

So, development would not be occurring at Hal Labs. But, the code and development environment of Super Smash Bros. Melee, which I had developed in the past, was offered. Having this versus not having this means the efficiency of the development changes dramatically, so I'm thankful.

But we still didn't have enough people. To create a game like Super Smash Bros. Melee, I would want a team with a minimum of 50 people. Getting together that many people would be a back-breaking task.

So it was that Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduced me to a "particular team" that had just completed a large-scale game.

Until the day comes when I can announce the team's name, I shall simply refer to them as "The Studio."

"Let's do it. Let's definitely do it!"
The words of The Studio's executive were very simple.

I was surprised when I saw the GameCube controllers they were using. The coating on the analog stick was worn down like an old eraser...
"Our guys have played Smash Bros. more than 10,000 times!"

It had to be a lie.
But when I saw their battle records, it showed a terrible number of matches that were not fabricated.

This was the result of years of uninterrupted playing of Smash Bros. during lunch breaks. There are often cases where your team doesn't understand the content of the game you're making, but that wouldn't be a concern this time.

It was promising.
This had to have been fate.
So, with the members of The Studio as our core, we dramatically increased our staff members.

Next we had to decided where we would work. In other words, we needed to create an office somewhere.
With the assistance of the head of Nintendo's Tokyo Branch I visited several possible office candidates and decided on A Location with convenient transportation links.

And, since I can't be a slave to the last train of the night, I decided to move to that area to.
The topics that have come up from time to time in column-me going into solitary to write the design document, founding my own company, Sora Ltd., moving, and getting sick from overworking were all related to my development of the new Smash Bros. game.

With me issuing requests, we determined room layout, and then began construction and brining in equipment. We proceeded under tight deadlines, and it's ended up being a difficult space for our staff, but thankfully our office steadily moved toward completion.

In the meantime, I presented and adjusted my design document, and connected with the creators of the required characters. It's the type of game design that cannot be completed without the cooperation of others.

So in October of 2005, Nintendo's newest office opened. And it was established solely so that we could create the new Smash Bros.

"We're really doing this..." I thought.
When they go this far for a single title, the only thing you can say is "that's Nintendo."

With The Studio at its nucleus, this office will probably continue to gather and add people. One doesn't get many opportunities to be placed in such a situation.

Also, more than anything, this Smash Bros. will be a game that we make while paying thanks to all the people who made so many different games and to all the fans who have supported them.
And we must pay respect to the original games while doing so.

But we will not flinch!
By which I mean, there will be no question about whether or not its fun.

The table has been set, so if I can't enjoy developing this game I will have failed.
Let's take it to the edge with a lot of weird stuff!
We're creating entertainment, so the creators have to have fun while creating it!

Development has only just begun.
And completion lies far off in the distance.

But now it is today, and I am full of energy.

I could have posted only the bolded text, but that wouldn't have made this post this long.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

It is quite a big team and Ganbarion (speculation) would only make up about 30-40% of the staff. None being in the lead position most likely. But even if so, obviously the game is turning out great.

Nintendo producers + Mr. Sakurai + 20-30 Nintendo employees + 3-5 HAL Labs employees + Ganbarion (20 employees) + Guest Designers = Nothing to worry about.

Raging Spaniard

Shiggy said:
I could have posted only the bolded text, but that wouldn't have made this post this long.

Thanks Shiggy, that brings a lot of forgotten things to light.

My new prediction about The Studio? Monolith

(they ARE in Tokyo)

Jiggy

Chao said:
You forgot about:

-SMASH BROS ISN'T A REAL FIGHTING GAME IT HAS NO DEPTH LOLZ
That might be a complaint on occasion (not in most reviews), but I think whether it's likely or not depends on when reviewers get their copies.
If it's a little after the game has seen a wide release, then someone who thinks the game has no depth will probably have some four-player random matches online, and they might end up watching a showdown between expert players sooner or later that'll blow their minds.

If they get their review copies further in advance, bets are off.

Edit:
Firestorm said:
But if just ~250 more people claim otherwise, you'll overtake Zeed.

Bit-Bit

When games sit down to have conversations about how they were created. Only Brawl can say that a studio was created and millions were spent just so it could be developed.

God damn this game is going to be so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom