• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Dedicated fans keeping Vita from getting shelved

MogCakes

It may be kept alive by fans but the lack of retail impact and getting taken off shelves can't help.

I've been seriously thinking of getting one but trying to convince the wife it's a good idea to buy something that's been ditched like is a battle.

I'm currently trying the ps4 remote play route.. but then she just points out the Wiiu that I never use and who's range meant it was never quite the remote device we'd hoped for.
Your laments make me glad I am still single. Best of luck convincing her. If nothing else, try the 'you can watch movies on it on the plane' angle.

CrisKre

I like how Sony stocks by their platforms.

That said, this statement paints a grim picture on the ever being a successor handheld to the Vita. Im starting to believe Sony will hang their gloves on the handheld arena after this one.

Game Guru

On the subject of mobile's effect on dedicated handhelds... yes, there is an effect, but the mobile market is not likely to be able to support the more meaty games that handhelds can have. Even though smartphones are very powerful, the people who buy games for them have also generally rejected any physical interface other than the touchscreen and prices higher than $0.99. Without solving those two main issues with the audience, mobile games will continue to be cheap time wasters for the most part. And I say that as someone who likes Android and has an Android Tablet.

For me, PS Plus is the only reason I want to actually play on the thing.

PS4 remote play excites me, but this Vita TV device actually looks more useful to me, and I might do a swap when it is released in the UK.

That said, this statement paints a grim picture on the ever being a successor handheld to the Vita. Im starting to believe Sony will hang their gloves on the handheld arena after this one.
I think they'll do another one, but probably not gonna after the premium anymore. So it'll be priced the same with nintendo hardware.

IvorB

I can't see a future without even a niche market for dedicated handhelds.

The future that concerns me is a future without Sony handhelds. Don't get me wrong, I know people love their 3DS's but if the only dedicated handheld is downmarket Nintendo stuff that would really suck for me. Sony brings the stylish, high tech to handheld gaming.

If there were no more Sony handhelds I would probably turn to an iPad mini for mobile gaming. I normally use Android for general cell phone functionality but that sucks for gaming.

I totally agree, the longer the Vita is out, the closer it is to it's death.

Er yeah, not like that all those other things which get further from death the longer they exist. Because that's a totally logical example!

Bend has wanted to make a console game for a while. They've earned it. Sony is very friendly to their developers and generally let them work on the projects they want to. This is especially true of the big boys... they would never tell Polyphony or Naughty Dog to do anything. If they decide to make vita games - cool - if not, Sony will never demand they do. They like to keep their talent happy even if it's a detriment to sales. See: Team Ico.

Wait... you're an insider, aren't you?! :) Is this an accidental confirmation that Bend's next game will be on PS4 instead? I would be interested to know whether they are taking over Uncharted, or after such a long time finally getting the chance at a new IP of their own creation. Although I was under the impression that Bend weren't a large studio; like 50 or 60 staff?

And did I also read someone say that Infamous Vita is on its way too? Awesome!

Personally I'm more than happy with the Vita. I think it's fantastic hardware, the downloadable scene on it is superb, and all that's lacking is a bit more retail and 'triple A' support. I mean, by the end of this year in terms of proper exclusives we'll have had Soul Sacrifice, Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway; just a few more games like that every year and it'll be a cracking little device with excellent support on almost every front.

I'd also like Sony to put sequels to some of their forgotten home console games on it. Stuff like Dark Cloud, Demon's Souls, Folklore, Legend of Dragoon and Rogue Galaxy would also be great for the Vita, and they all have a Japanese flavour to them so might help the console over there too. Similarly, I'd like sequels to PSP stalwarts like Patapon, LocoRoco, Syphon Filter etc.

Meanwhile I'm really happy with the machine as it stands, and it's probably the best first iteration hardware I've ever owned, but I want Sony to try a bit harder with their first party support to ensure its long-term survival. As an indie console though, it's really fun and refreshing, and it suits my lifestyle better than gaming in the living room at the moment.

Your laments make me glad I am still single. Best of luck convincing her. If nothing else, try the 'you can watch movies on it on the plane' angle.

That true.

Nah I don't regret it. 17 years of happy marriage behind us. I just prefer it when we both feel good about something. She's into gaming too and was equally doubtful on the Wiiu and was spot on.

No such issues with pc upgrades as she knows I use it tons or indeed a ps4 as she knows we'll want one console under the telly and we both feel Kinect was a waste of money so aren't touching xbone.

That true.

Nah I don't regret it. 17 years of happy marriage behind us. I just prefer it when we both feel good about something. She's into gaming too and was equally doubtful on the Wiiu and was spot on.

No such issues with pc upgrades as she knows I use it tons or indeed a ps4 as she knows we'll want one console under the telly and we both feel Kinect was a waste of money so aren't touching xbone.
Try the ps+ angle, look at all this free vita games you have and you didnt play them, what a waste. Maybe she'll agree for a vitatv at least :D

MogCakes

That true.

Whoa, congrats on 17 years! You could try inserting small hype for the Vita into your conversations and see if she bites, ha.

redcrayon

On the subject of mobile's effect on dedicated handhelds... yes, there is an effect, but the mobile market is not likely to be able to support the more meaty games that handhelds can have. Even though smartphones are very powerful, the people who buy games for them have also generally rejected any physical interface other than the touchscreen and prices higher than $0.99. Without solving those two main issues with the audience, mobile games will continue to be cheap time wasters for the most part. And I say that as someone who likes Android and has an Android Tablet.
It's funny how mobile gaming has devalued stuff though. I look at a free game, and even if a enjoy a 'lite' version, paying £3 for the full version feels like a lot of money, and FTP has been used so cynically that even the good ones have me go into it feeling suspicious and looking for the exploitative business model rather than enjoying the game. Meanwhile I'll happily put down £30-£40 on a new handheld game I know I'll get lost in like Persona or Fire Emblem, usually because its easier to follow its development and find reviews or because I've played previous ones in the series.

I know all the arguments are that lots of cheap games so you can try fifty of them is better than a £40 game that might be a dud, maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

As for interfaces, I don't mind touch at all- Phoenix Wright, Layton, Ghost Trick and Hotel Dusk all were great games with touch controls, and there's a wide range of similar adventure games on mobile devices, but dedicated devices offer a range of control options that encourage diversity of games to me. Sometimes I want to play Contra 4 or something like that, and that's where touch-only devices fall down for me, but on the hand run-and-gun games and shmups have been fading in popularity for years anyway.

SmokyDave

That true.

Trade the Wii U for a Vita. Problem solved :)

My missus finds my Vita obsession endearing, but she worries which of them I'd rescue first if the house caught fire.

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember seeing a few Vita commercials. I think. maybe I just made them up in my head. Oh well.

I didn't actually SAY anything in my last post. Arrogant? Maybe a little. They pretty openly say that they are attracting unexpected indie attention. Which makes me wonder, who were they looking to capture in the first place?
I saw commercials for Uncharted Golden Abyss and WipeOut 2048 :)

What you quoted me on was partially me asking if Sony was arrogant with the Vita, so i thought your reply was referring to that. If it wasnt, then i missunderstood, sorry. I think Sony wanted a wide variety of games, everything from bigger budget games to smaller indie games.

It's funny how mobile gaming has devalued stuff though. I look at a free game, and even if a enjoy a 'lite' version, paying £3 for the full version feels like a lot of money, and FTP has been used so cynically that even the good ones have me go into it feeling suspicious and looking for the exploitative business model rather than enjoying the game. Meanwhile I'll happily put down £30-£40 on a new handheld game I know I'll get lost in like Persona or Fire Emblem, usually because its easier to follow its development and find reviews or because I've played previous ones in the series.

I know all the arguments are that lots of cheap games so you can try fifty of them is better than a £40 game that might be a dud, maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

I agree; the sense of value is very different on smartphones than on the Vita or 3DS. I'll gladly spend £3 on a Vita game blindly, whereas I rarely spend this much on an Android game. Mainly because even if it's a great game like Lords of Midnight or Cthulhu Saves the World or Worms, I'm always acutely aware that it would be better on a proper console with decent controls.

I agree; the sense of value is very different on smartphones than on the Vita or 3DS. I'll gladly spend £3 on a Vita game blindly, whereas I rarely spend this much on an Android game. Mainly because even if it's a great game like Lords of Midnight or Cthulhu Saves the World or Worms, I'm always acutely aware that it would be better on a proper console with decent controls.

The beauty of the Vita store is that while they have a very inclusive and welcoming platform, they still curate it and seek out the highest quality titles (most of the time).

Outside of some of the PSM stuff I rarely see shovelware crowding out the store. I really appreciate the search function, download list, and sort by genre options.

Trade the Wii U for a Vita. Problem solved :)

My missus finds my Vita obsession endearing, but she worries which of them I'd rescue first if the house caught fire.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Sadly where I live has no games shops anymore. None, every one has gone bust since game went under a few years ago.

Such a shame. Gaming seems to have been hit hard by the global collapse.

pixelbox

Sony probably didn't want to release the Vita that soon but couldn't allow the 3ds to have that much time unchecked in the market. With the way the the Vita works with the ps4 it looks clear that it was to launch along side it. Using the ps4 as a server for your media is something that could be really cool. It hasn't been done before and could be a strong selling point for both devices.

The vita tv at first glance looked like a quick and dirty way to help push sells for the hardware but now it could be the a gateway for western games. If it does well in the us devs well start to release titles for it even if it's just small projects. The vita 2000 could breathe life in vita's sells in the east which translates into more Japanese titles. And as someone mentioned, 3rd party games in general barely does any better on the 3ds with over 10 times the install base.

pixelbox

And believe it or not, most people see it that way. The vita is in a good position to shine atm and if all else fails, Sony will surely bundle the Vita with the ps4. This might still happen either way. As for cell phone gaming no one plays meaty games on that platform. It just doesn't lend to that crowd so ded handhelds will always have a place. Manufacturers needs to make thd experience more compelling.

ascii42

Sony probably didn't want to release the Vita that soon but couldn't allow the 3ds to have that much time unchecked in the market. With the way the the Vita works with the ps4 it looks clear that it was to launch along side it. Using the ps4 as a server for your media is something that could be really cool. It hasn't been done before and could be a strong selling point for both devices.

The vita tv at first glance looked like a quick and dirty way to help push sells for the hardware but now it could be the a gateway for western games. If it does well in the us devs well start to release titles for it even if it's just small projects. The vita 2000 could breathe life in vita's sells in the east which translates into more Japanese titles. And as someone mentioned, 3rd party games in general barely does any better on the 3ds with over 10 times the install base.

I don't know. PSP launched in March 2005, PS3 came out in November 2006. Vita came out in March 2012, PS4 comes out in November 2013. It makes sense to space them out somewhat.

Drek

Short of the Vita being a Nintendo DS level success they weren't putting out another handheld.

The Xperia line is gaining momentum and they're rolling out apps for both iOS and Android for PS4 connectivity. The long term goal is clearly to leverage Gaikai on multiple formats, especially tablets and smartphones, to position themselves as the ubiquitous gaming service going forward.

Hence the strong push for remote play with PS4 + Vita/VitaTV. I'd expect that by the end of the generation a similar remote play feature will be available for iOS and Android devices when equipped with a control interface of some kind (of which there are now many for Android and some showing up on iOS already).

The Vita was always going to be Sony's last handheld. The hardware will likely be leveraged across a lot of product lines, hence VitaTV. If it is a relative success they'll likely start building it into their TVs and blu-ray players in order to bring more consumers into the Sony services sector of their business. That's their real end game here.

Kaz Hirai is a bright guy. He's clearly seen that Sony was on the right track years ago when they focused on owning the formats everyone else published on, but with the advent of digital that has gone by the wayside. The new replacement for that is owning the services people use, and he's positioning Sony very well to be a major player in that market. Gaikai is their first big overture in that regard for video games while Music Unlimied and the various enterprises of Sony Pictures into the digital content world are early attempts in their respective markets to do the same. Ultimately he's looking to use excellent hardware to Trojan horse these services into consumer consciousness.

And this is why the Vita, while their last handheld, isn't going anywhere. It services a hardcore subset who generate a ton of good word of mouth and will tolerate growing pains as these services are developed because they want to be on the edge of tech. So when Remote Play is a day one PS4 feature with a few bugs we'll all accept it because it's new. A year from now when Gaikai is in the spot we'll accept it for the same reasons. Supporting the Vita is Sony telling the hardcore they can "trust" Sony to stick around and in exchange use us all as paid beta testers for the new wave of tech they'll then incentivize us to push on our more casual friends/family via free word of mouth advertising.

Jac_Solar

I am positive that once everyone starts seeing just how bad ass Vita remote play is (supposed) to be, it will start selling much much better.

I also think Sony would be incredibly foolish to not do a bundle including the Vita with the PS4.

Maybe eventually, but they shouldn't make one until the PS4 has been out for awhile, or until the 399$ price has been firmly established as the default price for a PS4 -- people, magazines, press in general have a habit of referring to the highest price of a console as the default price, or only price.

haihoo

Banned
People are way over exagerating vita tv no touch compatibility list and how that will mean no vita games will have touch anymore. What vita tv mean is that from this point forward, it'd be wise for developer to provide 2 control scheme, one for vita and one for vitatv. Just like how every ps4 game will be required to have vita control scheme for remote play

Vita games can still use touch screen as virtual button or maybe swipe gesture as long as those function can be transferred to dualshock 3/4 controller.

Vita games still don't sell and some people here really think that the developers are motivated enough to waste their time with two control schemes or have even a single thought on pathching old games to run without touchpad are another controller?

pixelbox

Vita games still don't sell and some people here really think that the developers are motivated enough to waste their time with two control schemes or have even a single thought on pathching old games to run without touchpad are another controller?
Games don't sell because of the low install base. That coupled with the games being shity and you got youself a shit selling game.

To be fair, I didn't cross check the list with existing games to check caliber and exposure or if the games were actually important. Just numbers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-TV_Play
Yeah, I saw that list. Didn't really feel like crossreferencing it. Thought about starting a thread but it was late.

Without numbers, all I can really say is that my experience is that almost all software supports off-TV and the ones that don't usually have good reasons not to. Further, while I have seen plenty of people across the internet disappointed with certain games not supporting it, I have never seen anyone but you complain that MOST games don't. As a non-owner not quite cross-referencing a Wikipedia list, it isn't very convincing. A list of titles that don't would be better.

I'll drop it for this thread though.

maybe not patching the older games, but I think for any future vita games, giving alternate control scheme for dualshock is pretty easy? if the game use virtual button, just mapped those to L2/R2 and it's done.

edit: especially if it open their userbase to VitaTV owner

Short of the Vita being a Nintendo DS level success they weren't putting out another handheld.

The Xperia line is gaining momentum and they're rolling out apps for both iOS and Android for PS4 connectivity. The long term goal is clearly to leverage Gaikai on multiple formats, especially tablets and smartphones, to position themselves as the ubiquitous gaming service going forward.

Hence the strong push for remote play with PS4 + Vita/VitaTV. I'd expect that by the end of the generation a similar remote play feature will be available for iOS and Android devices when equipped with a control interface of some kind (of which there are now many for Android and some showing up on iOS already).

The Vita was always going to be Sony's last handheld. The hardware will likely be leveraged across a lot of product lines, hence VitaTV. If it is a relative success they'll likely start building it into their TVs and blu-ray players in order to bring more consumers into the Sony services sector of their business. That's their real end game here.

Kaz Hirai is a bright guy. He's clearly seen that Sony was on the right track years ago when they focused on owning the formats everyone else published on, but with the advent of digital that has gone by the wayside. The new replacement for that is owning the services people use, and he's positioning Sony very well to be a major player in that market. Gaikai is their first big overture in that regard for video games while Music Unlimied and the various enterprises of Sony Pictures into the digital content world are early attempts in their respective markets to do the same. Ultimately he's looking to use excellent hardware to Trojan horse these services into consumer consciousness.

And this is why the Vita, while their last handheld, isn't going anywhere. It services a hardcore subset who generate a ton of good word of mouth and will tolerate growing pains as these services are developed because they want to be on the edge of tech. So when Remote Play is a day one PS4 feature with a few bugs we'll all accept it because it's new. A year from now when Gaikai is in the spot we'll accept it for the same reasons. Supporting the Vita is Sony telling the hardcore they can "trust" Sony to stick around and in exchange use us all as paid beta testers for the new wave of tech they'll then incentivize us to push on our more casual friends/family via free word of mouth advertising.

This is a really good post, and I agree with almost all that you've said. Will be interesting to see how Sony's ecosystem develops in the next 12-24 months as Gaikai is rolled out and the PS4 and Vita integration should be fully implemented and in use.

maybe not patching the older games, but I think for any future vita games, giving alternate control scheme for dualshock is pretty easy? if the game use virtual button, just mapped those to L2/R2 and it's done.

edit: especially if it open their userbase to VitaTV owner

Patching older games should be first priority. VitaTV without UGA, GR, Killzone and tons of other games lose a lot of appeal.

I have had a Vita since the super special 3G bundle prelaunch and I rarely play it. My daughter loves it so that is good. But I have not bought a game for it since launch. Yet it is full of free games from Sony. Hell I even sold physical copies of UC and Wipeout back to GS because they gave it to me for free through Plus. I may buy Worms when it comes out. I can't get into long dedicated games on it when I have a large tv and a PS3. Short games like Stardust, Germinator, and prob Worms are the games I find appealing on it but that is a waste of the tech ��

I have had a Vita since the super special 3G bundle prelaunch and I rarely play it. My daughter loves it so that is good. But I have not bought a game for it since launch. Yet it is full of free games from Sony. Hell I even sold physical copies of UC and Wipeout back to GS because they gave it to me for free through Plus. I may buy Worms when it comes out. I can't get into long dedicated games on it when I have a large tv and a PS3. Short games like Stardust, Germinator, and prob Worms are the games I find appealing on it but that is a waste of the tech ��

You should check out some more of the indie games. Stuff like Hotline Miami, Spelunky and Stealth Inc. are all fantastic pick-up-and-play games. I much preferred playing them on the Vita than on my PS3.

artist

Banned
Sony is right.

21559zsqa.jpg

Except one which is a backup for my original, all are for family and friends, three of whom are 360->PS4 converters.

Valnen

Sony is right.

21559zsqa.jpg

Except one which is a backup for my original, all are for family and friends, three of whom are 360->PS4 converters.

I wish I had that kind of money to blow.

I'll be getting an LCD version. If the screen looks as good as my Nexus 4 then that's good enough, I don't need OLED.

artist

Banned
Wow dude... You're doubling down aren't you? Are they on their own when it comes to Memory cards? Hehe.
They are on their own for memory cards and PS+, which I really hope they get.

you've got a nice healthy *paying* job don't you?

imma looking to double down and get a back up as well. thinking about finding a white OLED on craiglist soon for sub 150.
I wanted to go the used option too and then decided what the heck ..

$2000 of Vita sitting there, I would hope so.
~1800.

I am glad that Sony acknowledges the support from Vita users to keep the platform alive.

Vita is the first console I have got from Sony and I have bought around 50 games between Vita and PSP, is the console that I have supported the most.

18-Volt

I'm right behind you Sony, don't kill it yet! I'll support Vita to the end, I bought almost every game released for vita (I even double dipped for Jak collection). Please don't leave us to a Angry Birds/Clash of Clans future!

oggob

Day 1 Vita owner here also, rocking a 32GB card and awaiting the 64GB card... This year the Vita has been my go to console of choice, it has been played more than any console this year.

Bought many a PSN game this year and have loved pretty much all of them.

If they actually were to kill the machine off now, I can honestly say that I have got my moneys worth, but do hope it has a long future ahead and the PS4 should be able to help that along!

Top Bottom