• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Dedicated fans keeping Vita from getting shelved

Even though PS Vita sales haven't exactly been fantastic, we do notice on CVG that a lot of people who own the handheld swear by it. How crucial has that positive owner feedback been for Sony?
Oh yes, I mean, if that wasn't the case I think we would have good reason to lose confidence in the device and shelve it. We're nowhere close to that decision now.

There has been great positive feedback, but I want people to know that we do listen intently to the negative feedback too. We understand the drawbacks - it's a bit expensive, also people expect multi-functionality on high-end mobile and portable devices, the content is expensive and a lot of people are used to getting free or cheap apps.
Part of the same larger CVG interview.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The situation was that dire? That they'd shelve it already? Goddamn.

The situation was that dire? That they'd shelve it already? Goddamn.

Well if it was combination of the current (or even worse) sales + universal hate towards the machine even from your fans then of course they would look into it. Of course not before PS4 is out for obvious reasons.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
GAF: SmokyDave keeping Vita from getting shelved

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I give it two more years.

Vita is improving. Slowly. Better to ride it out as long as possible then to take the dive with a new device in a volatile market.

They still need a fucking Vita/Playstation Phone. Now that Erricson is out of the picture I don't see why it isn't happening.

Guevara

Seems like Vita software must sell pretty well (high attach rate despite a small userbase)? I'm doing my part anyway.

IT Slave

Banned
Yeah, some smart person decided to do something with those excess parts that were gathering dust in warehouses and that's how Vita TV came about.

We understand the drawbacks - it's a bit expensive, also people expect multi-functionality on high-end mobile and portable devices, the content is expensive and a lot of people are used to getting free or cheap apps.

I feel like something's missing here but I can't put my finger on it. Hm...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that list of drawbacks misses a couple of massively important points: memory cards and mass market appealing games, the latter being, you know, the reason people usually buy a gaming device

, still, glad to see the atrocious sales stripped Sony from their arrogance

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so I saved the Vita. cool.

now Sony go and gimme Folklore on Vita so I can save your ip as well. thank me later.

Well lets put it this way. I hate digital but most of my vita games are.

I also own wayyy more vita games than I did my ps3 at the same point in its lifecycle.

fvng

I'm surprised shelving it is even on the table as an option. It's not Virtual Boy bad.

Are there any WiiU owners that swear by their console?

I love my Vita; Sony made a damn good product, but they have absolutely no fucking idea how to market the thing. They seem to be turning it around, though, especially in Japan, so hopefully it'll stick around for a while longer.

Raven77

I am positive that once everyone starts seeing just how bad ass Vita remote play is (supposed) to be, it will start selling much much better.

I also think Sony would be incredibly foolish to not do a bundle including the Vita with the PS4.

khaaan

Inches away from death is still alive =P

I'm glad they didn't do it, I got one a month ago I've sunk quite a bit of time into it. I don't think it by any means has a "blockbuster" lineup coming or will it ever be a huge success but I'm confident that the trickling of exclusive like Tearaway, Ys, and Gravity Rush 2 will be attractive to those who are keeping their eye on the system.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Great news, the system has so much potential that we're only just beginning to see with all the recent lineup announcements. I really hope it goes from strength to strength.

Top Bottom