• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Dedicated fans keeping Vita from getting shelved

Begaria

I'm not a big handheld gamer, but I do see several really cool games on the Vita. Sony, bring the Vita TV outside of Japan, and I will buy it day one with the biggest god damn expensive memory card you've got.

Revan

I love my Vita. I've used it more then any other console in the past year. My game mix is about 50-50 digital/retail. PS+ for the system has been great too.

I'm happy to hear Sony hasn't given up on it - the system is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to PS4 remote play and Gaikai.

EDIT: I do wish for a couple of games in the system tho, like a true dungeon crawler and a full 3D ARPG....and I would kill for a Resident Evil 4 port.

You guys really thought it was doing "okay"?
It's probably doing WiiU or perhaps even worse numbers. What's surprising is seeing indie developers porting games to that platform, that thing is DEAD.

Helps when Sony is open and super supportive to get games on Vita+Vitacats are hungry for games. Also Vita is excellent platform for indie titles. They don't feel quite the same on PS3 for example.

Zushin

I had a Vita since February this year, but I didn't truly start getting into it until KZ:M. Really loving it so far, hope they keep pumping out the games!

Raistlin

They have been very smart in how they're leveraging the overall ecosystem to make the Vita a valuable device.

Without that, I think it would likely die. But now, I see it being around a long time.

StoopKid

Whatever it takes to get Gravity Rush 2. Whatever it takes.

cheers-slow-clap.gif

Zincalloy

Banned
God can't find enough time to beat all my Vita games.
I'm trying to platinum Soul Sacrifice while beating Muramasa/Dragon's Crown/P4G/Ratchet & Clank FFA, and a few others. Haven't used my PS3 in weeks and I got Ni No Kuni/Darksiders 2 still waiting for me...

I give it two more years.

The amount of free games I will have amassed in that time for Vita via PS+ will have paid for the handheld multiple times over. So two more years is fine.

But seriously though, if VitaTV really takes off in Japan and gets exported to other countries, if remote play on the PS4 gets high marks,
and if someone hacks VitaTV and loads SteamOS onto it
, the Vita won't be going anywhere for a long time.

Kainazzo

I'm pleasantly surprised with the niche it seems to have carved for itself. Bought it for Malicious Rebirth and Gravity Rush, looks like I'll soon have P4: Golden, Gravity Rush 2, and Trails of Zero/Ao. All exclusives or exclusive, upgraded ports of games I don't own anywhere else. Very nice, and since I buy on cartridge I've been able to stick with a 4GB card. If games like this can keep coming, I'll stick around. I might even get a Vita TV so I have a plan B.

At the same time, we may never truly know how successful this thing is. Sony says they'll keep it afloat, but it could still be one giant money hemorrhage. I expect their next "handheld" to still be a mobile platform instead of dedicated hardware.

bumpkin

What can I say, I'm a patient guy. But I won't pretend that the lack of promised titles like a new Devil May Cry and Resident Evil (among others) doesn't piss me off. Cross-buy has been a blessing at least.

RMI

Banned
I love my Vita. The fans are dedicated because it's a phenomenal platform. You just have to keep pushing it, Sony. Don't stop.

RpgN

Having Gravity Rush 2 semi-announced, it restored some of the faith that was lost. If they announce Bend's game on the vita, have FF type-0 on the Vita (PSP would be okay but vita could help the game's controls at least) and have the Medievil team create another awesome vita game like Killzone, then I can accept whatever happens with the vita after that even if I wish for it to continue living much longer than that. It would truly be a shame if a hardware like that can't carry out its full potential. Journalists have really surprised me with their treatment of the vita. I thought they would be the first ones to support it. They're not helping at all.

What can I say, I'm a patient guy. But I won't pretend that the lack of promised titles like a new Devil May Cry and Resident Evil (among others) doesn't piss me off. Cross-buy has been a blessing at least.

Good luck getting DMC on any platform nowdays :lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You're welcome. Now, do me a favour and announce the Vita TV and Vita 2000 release dates.

Cornbread78

Give us cheaper memory and even more AA/AAA games (especially RPGs) and we will keep buying it up.. That's my promise to you Sony.. Now it's your turn. VITA should have had 100GB h/d, lol.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Vita means life.

It's not easy having to have an open mind to play all the games coming out on the Vita. But, I do my part for my friends. I yell from/to the heavens about how much I love this little machine. The only thing it's missing before I start forcibly shoving it down people's throat is the PS4 and a Godramm Crunchyroll application. Seriously Crunchyroll... I want to watch anime on Dat OLED screen =/

This article makes me feel good. I guess that crazy 10:1 attach ratio actually means something. Even though it it may or may not be more of a product of circumstance more than anything else.

Starviper

I haven't touched mine in awhile for some reason, but I am glad I bought one. I should really keep it with more more often.

The Vita is great to me because I hate gaming on a phone and rarely if ever feel like sitting in front of my PC to play an indie game.

Hopefully once Vita TV is released, 3rd party developers start taking more of an interest in developing for it.

ascii42

Having Gravity Rush 2 semi-announced, it restored some of the faith that was lost. If they announce Bend's game on the vita, have FF type-0 on the Vita (PSP would be okay but vita would help the game's controls at least) and have the Medievil team create another awesome vita game like Killzone, then I can accept whatever happens with the vita after that even if I wish for it to continue living much longer than that. It would truly be a shame if a hardware like that can't carry out its full potential. Journalists have really surprised me with their treatment of the vita. I thought they would be the first ones to support it. They're not helping at all.

Yeah. Part of me would like to see Bend have the opportunity to do a console game, but it's also good having a dedicated handheld team. The Vita needs it.

Feonix

Vita is the single best handheld I've ever owned. It's only going to get way better with PS4 and remote play.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I honestly didn't think that they were near to drop it completely.
But this and another recent interview (the one that said that Vita arried "to the wrong market" or smething like that) make me feel scared about possible supoprt from them. VitaTV is the first step in shifting the product from the proper handheld segment (to the home one), let's see if the next one will be to shift it towards the smartphone/app one...

Top Bottom