• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sakurai will eventually represent the new Nintendo, which has the innovation and design strength of Miyamoto's Nintendo, combined with newer features that appeal to the core gamer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
My MGS-themed stage:
dow68i.jpg

Grecco

QuickKick89 said:
John Ricciardi from 1up makes a pretty good point:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8460091&publicUserId=5443554

"Seriously though, on one hand it's super exciting to see stuff like this appearing on a Nintendo platform, but on the other hand it's almost painful knowing that this is probably one of the only games we're ever going to see on Wii that's actually up-to-date, feature-wise, with stuff on competing systems. Can you imagine if they put this much effort into every franchise game they released?"

Games like Halo 3 are the exception not the rule. The vast majority dont have these features.

Krowley

Gekkonidae said:
I think Sakurai will eventually represent the new Nintendo, which has the innovation and design strength of Miyamoto's Nintendo, combined with newer features that appeal to the core gamer.

They seriously need to lock this guy up as a permanent nintendo employee, like Miyamoto or Anouma... Just give him a position where he can do whatever he wants and wait for greatness.

I'm not sure were I heard it (somewhere in this thread I think) but from what I understand, this is just a temporary thing and he's planning to split and do his own thing after smash. Nintendo should not allow that to happen. Just give him whatever he wants.

Tristam

TheKingsCrown said:
OH give me a fucking break

I mean, how the fuck much more ridiculous can you get?

What? He's right. Perhaps there *are* few examples of games this content-rich even on competing platforms, but I was also surprised that all this was included in a Nintendo game. He's also right about how awesome it would be if Sakurai was the GM of Nintendo. That would be fucking sweet.

Saitou

Banned
Krowley said:
They seriously need to lock this guy up as a permanent nintendo employee, like Miyamoto or Anouma... Just give him a position where he can do whatever he wants and wait for greatness.

I'm not sure were I heard it (somewhere in this thread I think) but from what I understand, this is just a temporary thing and he's planning to split and do his own thing after smash. Nintendo should not allow that to happen. Just give him whatever he wants.
For real. If I were the Big N, I'd just throw money at Sakurai till he begged me not to.

KINGMOKU

QuickKick89 said:
John Ricciardi from 1up makes a pretty good point:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8460091&publicUserId=5443554

"Seriously though, on one hand it's super exciting to see stuff like this appearing on a Nintendo platform, but on the other hand it's almost painful knowing that this is probably one of the only games we're ever going to see on Wii that's actually up-to-date, feature-wise, with stuff on competing systems. Can you imagine if they put this much effort into every franchise game they released?"
:lol

Okay 1-UP, we get it. You can stop now.

This update is still amazingly amazing even after a night's sleep.

But really you guys... a create-a-character update would just cheapen the game.

And this is coming from me, if any of you knew me off these boards you would know I am the most giant cusomization whore in the world. There are alot've games (especially online games) where if I can't make my character look just right I won't even play it. I am a HUGE customization whore!!!

I had a fucking Hayday with Soul Calibur III... you don't even know.

But creating your own character takes all the magic out've this game that is supposed to be focused on videogame All-Stars. If everyone could create their own character almost no one would ever play as any of the real characters from the roster. In a game like this that would never happen.

I DO hope that we can get some level of customization in unlocking alternate costumes or clothes to dress our characters in, I know it wasn't in the demo, but I didn't expect something like that to be in the demo.

IF they are in at all they'll most likely be something you buy with the Smash coins.

Tristam

moku said:
:lol

Okay 1-UP, we get it. You can stop now.

Again, I thinks ye're missin' the point. Maybe you guys will attribute it to more 1up guys trolling the Wii, but nothing he said was false. Is it wrong to wish *this* much content went into all their games (distinguish between content and polish for a second)? How about F-Zero with 30+ online multiplayer and leaderboards AND a track editor that the Japanese got with the expansion kit but we never saw?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Imagine is Sakurai was in charge of Wii OS updates+features. Since launch we've had pretty much 0 updates of any significance of functionality, apart from a digital clock which Im sure must have taken several months work. Even small, basic tweaks would be appreciated. How about an option to change photo timings while watching a slideshow? Too complex?

And Opera improvements dont count, since its not even Nintendo working on that.

Fuzzery

Scum said:
All I want now is any and/or all of these 5 :-
Dante, Megaman, Cloud, Crono and Viewtiful Joe plus,
Marx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32TMLDPwokk as a boss, along with the kickass music. 8')
I am BETTING marx will be in as an assist trophy, lol yeah, the first time I fought him, I didn't know I could press a button to bring back any ability I gotten, so I had to fight him without abilities too.

Also, crono looks too much like pit, so I doubt it :(

Okay now seriously, I gave it a shot :

BrawlCustomLevel001.jpg

Horizontal movement for the two platforms at the bottom, vertical movement for the ones on both sides. Spikes at the bottom of the central platform/block. What do you guys think ?

farnham

Banned
Fuzzery said:
I am BETTING marx will be in as an assist trophy, lol yeah, the first time I fought him, I didn't know I could press a button to bring back any ability I gotten, so I had to fight him without abilities too.

i forgot that too.... and i was using these abilities throughout the game

Holy Order Sol said:
Okay now seriouly, I gave it a shot :

BrawlCustomLevel001.jpg

Horizontal movement for the two platforms at the bottom, vertical movement for the ones on both sides. Spikes at the bottom of the central platform/block. What do you guys think ?

In a game with this much aerial mobility. I don't know why anyone would ever want to use a ladder. It seems like it would leave you really vulnerable.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Fuzzery said:

All of you even considering Crono as an option are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. There hasn't been a Chrono game since Chrono Cross and that game barely featured Crono. Plus, Square seems to have abandoned the franchise. So Crono will not be in this game.

I would definitely like to see Marx, though. Assist Trophy would be nice, but he really deserves to be a Subspace boss, complete with his epic battle music. :D

Holy Order Sol's level looks interesting, though I question the usefulness of the ladders. They would prove useful if they were the only way to access an otherwise out of reach area, but I'm not sure how out of reach something can be considering how agile the characters are in the air.

It raises an interesting question, though: is symmetry a virtue in designing levels for this game?

Gekkonidae said:
In a game with this much aerial mobility. I don't know why anyone would ever want to use a ladder. It seems like it would leave you really vulnerable.

Depends on how easy and fast jumping off the ladder is. I don't really know about that.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
breakout.gif

The bottom platform will move side to side. I'll have to put walls on the left and right as well to prevent horizontal kills.

Xav

Gekkonidae said:
Well what if you could dodge while on the ladder much like an air dodge?

Unison

Some people are begging for create-a-character support here. I can't imagine that happening, for dozens of reasons, although I could definitely imagine the game allowing you to import your Mii.

superbank

Unison said:
Some people are begging for create-a-character support here. I can't imagine that happening, for dozens of reasons, although I could definitely imagine the game allowing you to import your Mii.

Yep, Mii is as far as it goes with character customization. You can pick the Mii fighter and put a face on it, thats it.

Iam Canadian said:
It raises an interesting question, though: is symmetry a virtue in designing levels for this game?

I actually expected someone to bring this up.:lol
I don't have a preference, and previous iterations of SSB have proven that asymmetrical levels could be great (cf Hyrule Castle), but since that was a quick attempt, I just did it the way that felt natural to me.

I'm not so sure about those ladders myself (as we don't know about their properties), but they might be required for characters with an insufficient jump height (such as Bowser), but then again it depends on scale and I'm still thinking by Melee physics here.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I can't believe how much stuff this game has.

- The Subspace Emissary Adventure Mode
--- Co-Op Adventure Mode

- 4 Player Battle Mode
--- Online Battling
--- Special Brawl Mode

- Collection & Gallery Modes for:
--- Trophies
--- Stickers
--- Music (Also My Music Mode)

- Stadium Mode
--- Break The Targets
--- Homerun Contest (Online)

- Replay & Screenshot feature (for all modes?)
--- Online Sharing & Gallery!

And of course each mode has more to it than just what was listed above. And I'm sure there is more to come. O_O

I want this as a stage:

mariobros.jpg

Unless it was a secret I just never found/unlocked, I'm amazed this hasn't been turned into a stage yet. Imagine firing a shell off from the top, it winds its way down to the bottom... and pipes back up to the top. Getting faster and faster until someone gets hit by it :p

And you could have items and enemies spawning from the pipes, so you'd want to stay close enough to grab the goodies but not close enough to get MURDERED.

Ramenman

TheKingsCrown said:
It would be poor design choice to include a character editor in the game, and it will be poor design choice to include TOO MANY options in the game. From what I have seen, I think Sakurai is walking the fine line. Let's hope he doesn't fall off it.

Don't you think it's too late ?

To this point I'm absolutely convinced that an eventual sequel can never top it.

I hate to bring this party to a hault....

....but did Sakurai San say we needed BOTH wii codes AND wii friend codes in the new Smash? Can't it just be one or the other?!

Outside of more 3rd party characters, is there anything left that could be a megaton? I'm realy wracking my brain trying to think of what else they could add.

Iam Canadian

Keru_Shiri said:
Outside of more 3rd party characters, is there anything left that could be a megaton? I'm realy wracking my brain trying to think of what else they could add.

Hmmm...

Subspace Emissary level editor?
Event Match with online co-op?
The return of Board the Platforms (with online co-op)?
Ness (the ultimate megaton as far as I'm concerned)?
All classic Smash levels are available in Brawl?
Playable DS (to go with the DS franchise logo)?

Perhaps those would count.

Keru_Shiri said:
One thing I've wished for that isn't around is an Event Creator. You could set up small scenarios to fight through like SSBM's Events. Perhaps make a person fight against a Big Big Metal Kirby in the Pictochat stage with a limit of 3 lives. Perhaps an event that's a gauntlet against the successive characters from the Mario franchise, with the player as a Small Bowser. The now more customizable battle options cover part of what I'd hoped for, but don't go as far or allow different settings per character.

Keru_Shiri said:
Voice chat?

For me personally, announcing Ridley as a playable character, would be the ultimate megaton. :D

Iam Canadian

JoshuaJSlone said:
One thing I've wished for that isn't around is an Event Creator. You could set up small scenarios to fight through like SSBM's Events. Perhaps make a person fight against a Big Big Metal Kirby in the Pictochat stage with a limit of 3 lives. Perhaps an event that's a gauntlet against the successive characters from the Mario franchise, with the player as a Small Bowser. The now more customizable battle options cover part of what I'd hoped for, but don't go as far or allow different settings per character.

Ooh. This idea I like.
And, of course, it could have online event sharing.

Iam Canadian said:
Hmmm...

Subspace Emissary level editor?
Event Match with online co-op?
The return of Board the Platforms (with online co-op)?
Ness (the ultimate megaton as far as I'm concerned)?
All classic Smash levels are available in Brawl?
Playable DS (to go with the DS franchise logo)?

Perhaps those would count.
Well, perhaps I should've specified new things that could be added. Though you are right, those would indeed be megaton announcements, most of those are either an expansion on an existing feature, or the return of something from a previous game.

And a playable DS would be kinda... weird.

Insaniac

underfooter said:
I hate to bring this party to a hault....

....but did Sakurai San say we needed BOTH wii codes AND wii friend codes in the new Smash? Can't it just be one or the other?!

the way I see it, is you could have someones wii friend code but they don't have SSBB so it'd be pointless

Ferrio

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:

Fighter Maker options? Give your Mii your custom created moves?

JoshuaJSlone said:
That is a very cool idea, actually.

Keru_Shiri said:

a character editor, where you can stick the stickers on the characters already in the game or give them new pallets. That would be awesome.
I would love to edit some of the characters already in Brawl. However make it so you can only edit their clothes/pallet and not their moves/weight/speed.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, crazy, CRAZY thought here... we know the Nintendo guys have expressed interest in the nature of Little Big Planet... and Sakurai is a game developer who appreciates things... what if SSBB features some of the same "neat concepts" in its level creation as LBP? Not the "live construction of a level", perhaps, but what if the level creation/play DID allow for Adventure Mode stages or Target Test stages, and what if "official expansion levels" had new music and backgrounds. Remember that bit about how Sony developers could release theme LBP stages as promos for their own games?

Yes, I know, this is all a bit much to ponder after this announcement (especially when the level creator is a standard one), but still...

Staccat0 said:
You guys are all gonna want a copy of my sweet Pac Man level when I get to make it. Better start suckin' up now....:lol
I'll just use the Pac-Man stage made for Brawl by the development team.

superbank

stage01.gif

The lines represent pass-through floors. Items will only spawn on the left island, the left side of the main stage (past the middle structure) and the top platform. If we can set those options, that is.

I'll wait till the game comes out with all options available before I make any more.

edit:xs.to was failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom