• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

model13

Seriously the amount of states they're missing is sad. I mean, come on Microsoft! You have to pass by Utah if you're going from Colorado to Nevada, why completely skip us? :(
I second this! In fact, based on my completely anecdotal evidence, Xbox 1 is favored 5 to 1 over the PS4 in Utah. Its like an Xbox stronghold.

shandy706

I'm an hour and fifteen minutes from one stop.

It's the November 14th stop though...by then I guess I might as well wait for launch.

Hmmm...I'm two hours from the October 24th one.....

blamite

Liked the write-up about the controller

So bumpers are worse but not significantly bad then?

Yeah, I think it's mainly a matter of just taking the time to get used to them.

cQwAmDo.jpg

The entire thing up to the blue line is part of thebumper, but only the red part can really be pushed down.

Yeah, I think it's mainly a meter of just taking the time to get used to them.

]http://i.imgur.com/cQwAmDo.jpg

The entire thing up to the blue line is part of thebumper, but only the red part can really be pushed down.

That's odd

Still don't see what was wrong with the X360 bumpers but whatever I'm sure I'll get used to it

Thanks for the visual :D

JaggedSac

Thanks for the impressions. Looks like they designed the bumpers to be pressed with the part of your fingers closest to your palm instead of the tips. Interesting. Good to hear the triggers are being used effectively in racing.

Alx

cQwAmDo.jpg

Yes, thanks for your detailed feedback. I just tried to be sure, and I'm already using the shoulder buttons that way, pressing the external side, so it won't be an issue for me, and I think people who don't can get used to it.

Storm360

cQwAmDo.jpg

Ugh, that's bad for me sadly, I hit them on the side closest to the center,

Thanks for the feedback

Blueblur1

So I went to the tour location here in Miami yesterday. It was pretty dead. About 20 people when I got there but eventually it dried up and there were only like 8 people. One of the Xbox event guys had to play Killer Instinct with me cuz there was no one else there. I also played Forza and purposely hit the guide button which caused Forza to crash and the all of the dashboard options became unresponsive. Dude had to the reboot the devkit. I left after 20 minutes cuz KI got boring and Forza was as well. Totally underwhelming. It was a bummer because I've never felt that way about a new system.

vg260

cQwAmDo.jpg

That's just terrible design. A button should be pushable from any spot. You don't need to spend 100 million to know that.

Alchemy

Are there any pictures showing the controllers actually hooked up to an Xbone? I see the display unit but all the controller cables are going into a closed off void behind the TVs.

So I went to the tour location here in Miami yesterday. It was pretty dead. About 20 people when I got there but eventually it dried up and there were only like 8 people. One of the Xbox event guys had to play Killer Instinct with me cuz there was no one else there. I also played Forza and purposely hit the guide button which caused Forza to crash and the all of the dashboard options became unresponsive. Dude had to the reboot the devkit. I left after 20 minutes cuz KI got boring and Forza was as well. Totally underwhelming. It was a bummer because I've never felt that way about a new system.

Haha

Way to bring down a dev kit

Too bad you didn't get to glimpse the UI at all from the sound of it

E92 M3

Yes, thanks for your detailed feedback. I just tried to be sure, and I'm already using the shoulder buttons that way, pressing the external side, so it won't be an issue for me, and I think people who don't can get used to it.

I did the same thing and I press them on the outer area.

Thanks for the impressions write up, blamite. What can you say about the tension on the sticks, in terms of movement and not just the deadzone?

Bsigg12

Ugh, that's bad for me sadly, I hit them on the side closest to the center,

Thanks for the feedback

How do you hold the controller? My index fingers are always on the triggers and I use the middle joint of my index fingeers to actually press the bumpers that way I always have my finger on the triggers.

I just got back from the stop in Chicago today, and typed up some quick impressions.

http://tmblr.co/ZSsNcvwnkFPr

They're kind of rambling and long-winded, sorry.

"Like with a 360 controller, you know how you can kind of nudge the stick from the side and it’ll move a little? The Xbone controller doesn’t really do that, at least not as much."

You're talking about dead-zone, and frankly, this is awesome! I hate huge dead-zones (thought I don't mind a little play in the sticks).

Anyone else planning on going to one of the events in SF?

I've been considering the Area One thing in SF, since the truck stops seem to be at the universities (SF/Berkeley) and will probably be too busy.

Last time I went to an event and met someone from GAF was the Uncharted 2 pre-release event in San Francisco where Amy Hennig got to announce that we'd all be going home with a free copy of the game. Met Wario64 there.

Xyrmellon

Only one of the five locations in Tampa is actually in Tampa. That one is during a Bucs game at the stadium. I'm not shelling out cash for a horrible football team to possibly gey handsy with an Xbone. Good job, Microsoft.

Bsigg12

Only one of the five locations in Tampa is actually in Tampa. That one is during a Bucs game at the stadium. I'm not shelling out cash for a horrible football team to possibly gey handsy with an Xbone. Good job, Microsoft.

It'll probably be outside the stadium near tailgater things. They usually set promotional things up outside the main entrance that way more people see it so you could go down to the stadium and never have to step inside.

Obscured

I just got back from the stop in Chicago today, and typed up some quick impressions.

http://tmblr.co/ZSsNcvwnkFPr

They're kind of rambling and long-winded, sorry.

Thanks for the impressions, with how I typically hold (index finger on bumpers, middle on triggers) seems like that will work perfect for me. Always interesting to hear impressions as more hands-on occurs.

I saw an xb1 in a display case at a kiosk and strangely it seemed to be physically larger than I expected, but appeared smaller. That little lip in the front does an optical trick.

Although the size doesn't seem much of an issue once you toss it in an entertainment center. Someone hooking it up to a monitor on a desk I could see having issues.

The kinect does seem pretty beefy, doesn't look like something that can perch on my tv like the current kinect, but we'll see. Was disappointed the sony store didn't have any display units yet, just boxes. Hope to see those in person soon.

I wish the tour was coming here sooner, if is about a week prior to launch, by that time i'll be able to just wait.

Fotos

Anyone else planning on going to one of the events in SF?

I've been considering the Area One thing in SF, since the truck stops seem to be at the universities (SF/Berkeley) and will probably be too busy.

Last time I went to an event and met someone from GAF was the Uncharted 2 pre-release event in San Francisco where Amy Hennig got to announce that we'd all be going home with a free copy of the game. Met Wario64 there.

I'm thinking about it but it's only like a week or two prior to launch so I don't know.

I plan on attending the Area One event in Chicago. Not sure if anyone else here will be and on what day, but I wouldn't mind doing a meetup similar to what some do for PAX and other events. Might also (or alternatively) end up at the truck stops at Purdue West Lafayette or Butler University around Indianapolis.

Edit: Loving the impressions so far (the good and bad). I wish there was a bit more than just demoing the games (checking out the UI for instance). Hopefully the Area One events make a good show.

Does anyone know what build of Killer Instinct is playable? That's my only reason to check out the tour when it arrives to my place. :p

rrs

Just went to the truck that was here today, my impressions so far:
  • Controller is very heavy, and the triggers just suck eggs. The d-pad clicks, the side rumble stuff is quite cool, the analog sticks have less dead zone and all the other buttons are fine.
  • Forza 5: Lifelike? heck no I could see the upscaling from 900p during the slow 30 second look at the car I selected. It's fun playing bumper cars with the gullwing, but I suck at breaking early (I turned off the related assists because they are too easy)
  • Killer Instinct: looks cool, but I don't fighting games
  • Had some guy repeat the marker's selling points of the Xbone over speakers with the car (It's not a gaming console, it's a multimedia PC!)
  • Had a sign nearby that said they could take video/pictures whenever.
  • I think the staff there had windows phones.

Troll

Banned
  • Controller is very heavy, and the triggers just suck eggs. The d-pad clicks, the side rumble stuff is quite cool, the analog sticks have less dead zone and all the other buttons are fine.
  • Forza 5: Lifelike? heck no I could see the upscaling from 900p during the slow 30 second look at the car I selected. It's fun playing bumper cars with the gullwing, but I suck at breaking early (I turned off the related assists because they are too easy)
  • Had some guy repeat the marker's selling points of the Xbone over speakers with the car (It's not a gaming console, it's a multimedia PC!)

Forza 5 is native 1080p...

Hmm, looks like this "tour" is a little different for the UK - I had to apply for tickets to the London event, and will be notified if I'm successful.

I got to pick 2 possible dates ranging from 25 Oct - 3rd November. Also got to pick a time slot (12-1700 or 1700-2200).

Ended up picking a day time slot on Friday. Hoping they'll be quieter! 18's only too. It's in Shoreditch, London, and looks to be indoors, so some kind of Expo I guess.

Fingers crossed! Any other UKGAF going?

Alx

Hmm, looks like this "tour" is a little different for the UK - I had to apply for tickets to the London event, and will be notified if I'm successful.

That's how it works in France too, I should be going this Sunday. :)
It's not too convenient because if you're not going alone you need to make one demand per person, but I didn't have any problem to get two "tickets" for the same session, the confirmation answer came 2-3 hours after registration.

That's how it works in France too, I should be going this Sunday. :)
It's not too convenient because if you're not going alone you need to make one demand per person, but I didn't have any problem to get two "tickets" for the same session, the confirmation answer came 2-3 hours after registration.

Ah. The site said I can take a +1, so me and a mate from work are going to take a cheeky half day. It's actually walking distance from my office in London, which is awesome! :)

foxbeldin

Hopefully they'll have more success this week-end in France than they had during weekdays.

NqICAJe.jpg

Taken by a friend of mine during the event on thursday, forever alone.

Alx

Actually I selfishly hope it will be as empty, so I can try all the games without queueing. :D
But I think they kind of messed up their communication there. Although I get newsletters from MS and several gaming retailers, I wasn't informed of that event and I learnt about the registration system by accident on the Gamersyde forums.

Maybe in-game (what really matters) but during a garage sequence it wasn't 1080p or had some questionable filtering (TV or in game) to it. Either way, it was unnoticeable in-game.

Upscaling or not, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that it was running at 900p?

w00zey

I went this morning and I gotta say GAF "enthusiast" have let me down.

The controller felt like a very upgrade above the current one. I don't get the hate for the rb/lb. I couldn't feel a huge jutting out or where it felt worse to hit it. At least not in my playing of Killer Instinct. Not nearly the cluster fuck that the internet seems to make of things. I could see where very large hands might find the tophat to be small but it actually felt better in my hand and the molded grip plastic felt better on my finger.

I will say that I am going to skip Forza now. Not because it was horrible but because it was Forza and I'd rather play rivals or just play Driveclub for free. The one thing that did stand out about Forza though was just how clear and clean the screen really looked. I don't know what resolution it was at or what it was upscalled from this or that but to me it looked like Forza only everything was clear. So it didn't look a ton better (the cockpit did) but it looked much much cleaner. Also the aliasing wasn't half as bad as the images I see floating around where every damn thing on the screen is shit.

Also I hope it was the set on the truck but while killer instinct looked and played well the stage I could play was very dark. I sure hope at home it isn't as dark because everything else looks damn good and i'm sure in reality the background looks good also.

At the end of the day it's vidoegaming. I didn't expect it to change my view on them and it didn't but I still can't wait for another month to upgrade what I have now and move on with what the future deals out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I didn't run into anything the above poster did. There were no signs of what you can and can't do. They didn't try to keep selling me on the system. hell the guy didn't even come over and talk to the little pod around me. I didn't see their cellphones so I can't comment on that.

Top Bottom